since68andcounting

OK, so I re-watched it

92 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, mvcrook said:

So, the NFL fixes games and the players go along with it. They work their butts off for most of their life to get to the NFL to participate in a league with predetermined outcomes and no one....not one player ever, has come forward and said anything? Is the whole season scripted or just the Super Bowl? If just the Super Bowl, how do they make sure that the right teams get there? What if a player doesn't go along with it? How about coaches? Are coaches on board with the fixes? Just head coaches, or the entire coaching staff? What about owners? Do the owners not care if they win or lose, or is it just about money? This is astoundingly stupid but I'd love to get these questions answered. 

You really expect someone to provide definitive answers to your questions? The NFL is run by the Mob, how people are silenced for life is self-evident wouldn't you think? 

What is "astoundingly stupid" is how intelligent people convince themselves that something as obvious as a SB fix, cannot be true. 

23 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

You really expect someone to provide definitive answers to your questions? The NFL is run by the Mob, how people are silenced for life is self-evident wouldn't you think? 

What is "astoundingly stupid" is how intelligent people convince themselves that something as obvious as a SB fix, cannot be true. 

You're nuts cuzz.....

37 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

I don't think SB 51 was fixed. But didn't Pete Rose get caught "throwing" a game. Referees cheated the Sacramento Kings vs Lakers in 2003. Bill Callahan was accused of sabotage Raiders in SB 37. So you never know.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, mvcrook said:

You're nuts cuzz.....

Aren't we all? Does not change anything, it is what it is.

Edited by Cheap Talk

On 3/13/2017 at 4:24 PM, since68andcounting said:

OP here. It seems everyone is focusing on the officiating part of the post. It was really meant to be more about overall general observations.

FWIW, I do NOT think the game was completely fixed, but I DO think the officiating in the late 2nd quarter and 2nd half was designed to "tighten the game up". Money talks. And those advertisers paid a ton of it. Once a few calls went the Pats way, and they had (or made) a couple breaks, then they pretty much got on a roll that we couldn't stop.

For those who say the game was thrown or completely fixed, c'mon man. It only takes TWO images to prove that false: 1) Arthur Blank pumping his fists after Coleman's TD, and  2) Arthur Blank looking like his dog died when NE came back. For a game to be completely thrown or fixed, the owners would HAVE to be in on it. They could sue for billions otherwise. And I'm sorry, Arthur Blank is NOT that good of an actor.

To the people who said all we had to do was run the ball 3 times and kick a FG, and that's why we lost, you're mostly right. But even then nothing was certain. We could've fumbled. We could've missed the kick, or had it blocked (like the extra point that actually WAS blocked). There were at least a dozen things that had to go wrong sequentially for us to lose that game. If ANY ONE of them had been different, we would have almost certainly won. The missed block by Free, the two holds by Matthews, several missed tackles late by the defense when they were tired, called penalties, un-called penalties, passing instead of running the ball, tipped balls falling just out of our reach, the freak catch by Edelman. It was absolutely a perfect storm and the odds against us losing were astronomical. That's why they play the game I guess. :sadwave:

To the ones who say "why am I bringing this up", you don't have to read the d@mn thread if you don't want to. I prefer to re-watch almost all Falcon home games because TV shows a different perspective from the Stadium. I also like to re-watch great wins (for the fun of it) and big losses (to learn from it).

FWIW, I was at the 98 Super Bowl with my father. It took me over 10 years to re-watch that game. After 2012, It took me 1 year to re-watch the NFCCG. And it took me 1 month to re-watch Super Bowl 51. Perhaps I'm getting hardened to the disappointment. :bang:

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Its not whether they call it or not ( theres holding on almost every play in the nfl), its WHEN they call it that matters.  When the Patriots got THREE straight first downs by the refs to help keep them in the game, i knew the Falcons were toast...

4 hours ago, mvcrook said:

So, the NFL fixes games and the players go along with it. They work their butts off for most of their life to get to the NFL to participate in a league with predetermined outcomes and no one....not one player ever, has come forward and said anything? Is the whole season scripted or just the Super Bowl? If just the Super Bowl, how do they make sure that the right teams get there? What if a player doesn't go along with it? How about coaches? Are coaches on board with the fixes? Just head coaches, or the entire coaching staff? What about owners? Do the owners not care if they win or lose, or is it just about money? This is astoundingly stupid but I'd love to get these questions answered. 

4 hours ago, jidady said:

If you ever want to see a Super Bowl taken away from a team, look at Pittsburgh-Seattle in Super Bowl 40. Seattle got hosed over and over again. I had no rooting interest in that game, and it was still hard to watch.

22 hours ago, dsgbncali said:

Officiating: The three holding calls in a row on third down was the initial reason the TOP was so lopsided. At this point, the game looked like a first half blowout. The last thing the NFL wants in the Super Bowl, with millions of ad revenue on the line in the 2nd half, is a first half blowout. I'm convinced (and forever will be) that those calls were designed to prevent 100 million people from turning the game off after Lady GaGa. Then there were the NON-CALLs: Once New England looked like they were headed to a historic comeback, they simply weren't flagged for ANYTHING. Multiple illegal picks on the drive to bring them within 7. A blatant hold on the tying TD at the point of attack on Jackson (who was 2 yards in the backfield before the handoff). Their right guard simply GRABBED Jackson's left arm and spun him around. Two blatant offensive PI "blocks" on the tying 2-point conversion. A blatant hi-low on a screen pass on Deion Jones during the final OT drive, also right at the point of attack. And a blatant HOLD on Deion Jones right at the point of attack on the winning TD. You can say what you want, and I know that playoff games are called "looser", but it's hard to believe that many officials could miss that many repeated fouls, all of which directly influenced the play, without some sort of agenda being involved. Sure, we should have won the game anyway. But frankly, we ALLOWED the NFL to "job" us in order to extend the legend of Brady and Belichek, and they obliged.

this part tho..

I don't think SB 51 was fixed. But it is interesting how Pete Rose got caught "throwing" a game. Referees got caught cheating kings out of Lakers playoff game. Bill Callahan was accused of sabotaging Raiders in SB 37. And the Seahawks vs Steelers looked like a screw job. So you never know.

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, JulioJones#1 said:

I don't think SB 51 was fixed. But it is interesting how Pete Rose got caught "throwing" a game. Referees got caught cheating kings out of Lakers playoff game. Bill Callahan was accused of sabotaging Raiders in SB 37. And the Seahawks vs Steelers looked like a screw job. So you never know.

I will keep up with the Falcons, but look at it for what it is, WWE...

Its WWE. The NBA is even worst...  College Football? They make it up as they go. One minute, you have to be conference champion to get into the BCS or this new "playoff", the next minute, they ignore it and put one of THEIR teams into it regardless... All you have to do is follow what Kirk Herbstreit says, because he tells you who they gonna put into the bowls...

Edited by slickgadawg

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

I will keep up with the Falcons, but look at it for what it is, WWE...

Well if it is fixed a Falcons vs Patriots SB 52 rematch with the Falcons getting their win back would be a great storyline and would be a huge draw. The Falcons stock went way up because a lot of fans would probably like to see us redeem ourselves.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, JulioJones#1 said:

Well if it is fixed a Falcons vs Patriots SB 52 rematch with the Falcons getting their win back would be a great storyline and would be a huge draw. The Falcons stock went way up because a lot of fans would probably like to see us redeem ourselves.

NOW  you got it... If they felt the falcons would give them a draw, then they will stay out of the way. Right now, its about the Patriots.  I think the Pats will " get " two more Superbowls, then they pick another team... Who THAT team will be, might be the Cowboys?  I believe the NFL referees influence the games. In the NBA, they do EVERYTHING. Refs, moving players here and there. The NBA might be worst than wrestling..lmao

You might be better off building the Falcons up on MADDEN 17 and calling it a day because i don't trust the product on the field...

Edited by slickgadawg
Cheap Talk likes this

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

NOW  you got it... If they felt the falcons would give them a draw, then they will stay out of the way. Right now, its about the Patriots.  I think the Pats will " get " two more Superbowls, then they pick another team... Who THAT team will be, might be the Cowboys?

In think that will be The Patriots last SB win. Brady got the record. Cowboys seem cursed. I don't think we are cursed. The way we beat Seattle in 2012 playoffs on a miracle FG 20 second drive. The 1998 win vs Vikings. Its only a matter of time.

Cheap Talk likes this

I don't think it was a 'fix'  

I DO think NE cheats, bends the rules, whatever you wanna call it.  I do think they spy, I do think they have ppl hacking the helmet radio's and I do think they do many other things we don't even know about or think about to gain any advantage they can.   

I also think the NFL ref's do give bias to certain teams and players.  Big time players do get the benefit of the doubt most times.  Julio is an example of this.  After the no-call at Seattle, JJ started getting calls left and right.  Was this bias?  Maybe or maybe it was so obvious and got so much press that the NFL said to the ref's "WTF?  This is a near unstoppable player if the DB's don't hold him.  Call that crap."  

Brady gets a lot of beneficial calls.  NE got those 3 'Defensive holding' calls.  Which the first 2 were very questionable.  

The biggest non-call was in the 4th qtr after the Julio catch at the 22 with 3+ min left.  We get the sack then the holding penalty and we just need to pickup a few yards for a FG.  The NE DB came up and blew up Gabriel about 4-5 yards off the ball right in front of the side judge and no call, Gabe recovered, ran his up and out to the sideline and the same DB came in and hit him again while the ball was in the air.  Pass was incomplete.  no call and we have to punt.  Clearly PI which should have been auto first down.  

The oddest (by odd I mean not odd at all) is the number of teams QB's including Matt Ryan at start of 4th qtr who's helmet radio's suddenly have issues.  

If I'm DQ, next time we play NE, I would do all plays old school.  No helmet radio usage and run a WR in with the play

Posted (edited)

I find it interesting that there are more NON Falcon fans who believe the scambowl was fixed, than actual Falcons fans...

Here is one of MANY videos where fans are pointing out this mess.  Three things are being discussed ont about this play.

1.On this play, is Freeney clearly offside? I don't think so. He jumped WITH the snap.

2. Edelman didn't score. Replays clearly show he was stopped short.

3. Poole and other Falcon defenders that were in on the play, are calling for a challenge flag that never came from Quinn.

Edited by slickgadawg

I watched the video. The ball clearly crosses the goal line. It doesn't have to go all the way in. If any part of the ball crosses...then TD.

9 minutes ago, FalconFan1st said:

I watched the video. The ball clearly crosses the goal line. It doesn't have to go all the way in. If any part of the ball crosses...then TD.

So. The falcons just blew the biggest lead in superbowl history all by themselves. Ok. I'll take that...

1 hour ago, TonyMartin80 said:

I wonder if The Patriots tapped Matt Ryan's hemet or Falcons locker room at halftime?

The helmet change by Ryan was a very significant part of the game. Notice the Ryan fumble was shortly thereafter. A new play caller took over for Shanahan, that is why the plays thereafter were not Shanahan-like. Re-watch and notice how the game changed dramatically after the helmet change, was not a coincidence.

Navin likes this

38 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

The helmet change by Ryan was a very significant part of the game. Notice the Ryan fumble was shortly thereafter. A new play caller took over for Shanahan, that is why the plays thereafter were not Shanahan-like. Re-watch and notice how the game changed dramatically after the helmet change, was not a coincidence.

giphy.gif

This was a strange game for sure. You just get an eery feeling watching it. I just rewatched it and I still don't know how we blew a 28-3 lead. AFTER recovering an onside kick in NE territory being up 28-9. We should have had the game right there. How do you not score after recovering inside kick? Something does seem fishy but I think Falcons probably were nervous because it's their 1st SB.