Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VA F.O.

March 2017 UGA Recruiting Thread

115 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

So basically (and feel free to point how wrong I am if so) what I've been seeing rumored on Wray is that this was more of a "family" decision than anything.

The rumor is that we apparently made some comments in conversation about Wray maybe playing inside, and his parents told him to back off his commitment. 

They also allegedly are interested in the idea of both brothers playing together, which is what Alabama is selling them on.

I can't imagine us not offering the brother also.  

12 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

So basically (and feel free to point how wrong I am if so) what I've been seeing rumored on Wray is that this was more of a "family" decision than anything.

The rumor is that we apparently made some comments in conversation about Wray maybe playing inside, and his parents told him to back off his commitment. 

They also allegedly are interested in the idea of both brothers playing together, which is what Alabama is selling them on.

we would take both him and his brother.  what happened is what his dad said we discussed moving max inside and that did upset them and caused a quick change in his recruitment.  you know other programs (i.e. clemson and bama) are trying to sell the "we would never move max inside" nonsense.  i like max wray a lot, but if he thinks he is getting playing time at bama he is dead wrong.  he will be riding that bench or be moving inside.  

4 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

we would take both him and his brother.  what happened is what his dad said we discussed moving max inside and that did upset them and caused a quick change in his recruitment.  you know other programs (i.e. clemson and bama) are trying to sell the "we would never move max inside" nonsense.  i like max wray a lot, but if he thinks he is getting playing time at bama he is dead wrong.  he will be riding that bench or be moving inside.  

Yep... We might have made a misstep by suggesting a move inside this early... probably should have just talked about getting in there and competing for one of the tackle spots, but ultimately if the kid is afraid to compete, he's riding pine at Bama, and likely the other schools he is considering too. I think there's a good chance he could come in and compete for a spot, and look at a guy like Martez Ivey... consensus #2 overall, 5* Tackle prospect, came in and played as a freshman at year 1 and 2, and then moving outside to his natural position at year 3. He's still a tackle prospect as long as he doesn't falter this year, and he saw the field earlier... 

Also, just because this was shared elsewhere, but Wray's father shared some comments on VolQuest the UT forum, this was a synopsis that was shared elsewhere.

OP: Does Wray to bama have legs, or is it more of a knee jerk reaction to his visiting there? 

Mod - Austin Price: I think he likes Bama a lot. He is scheduled to visit TN later in the month once practice begins. Anything could change but I think TN LSU and Texas are all options with Bama. Not sure he has a ton of interest in Clemson even with him visiting there today. 

Wrays Father's response: Your right Austin, Clemson was a great visit, it's just hard to get around the driving distance and Oregon is making a good attempt, but same problem there. UGA stubbed their toe by suggesting a move inside to my wife when I wasn't there. That ain't happening. Max is almost 6'7" barefoot now and 287lb and has tremendous arm length. He is a tackle. Texas is an option, but I expect it to be a 3 way fight between Alabama, LSU, and Tennessee. Alabama is obviously the safest choice, and provides Max with the best competition, which he thrives on, and the coaching stability for long term success. I like the LSU situation as well. They have some great people in place. Having said that Butch Is making a big effort and has impressed me with his humility and willingness to change. I'm a big Walt Wells fan, there is something about him I just really like. He is a fiery competitor... Max is an early enrollee so we are moving through this process quickly. 

If that's really his father's words, then **** em. He sounds like a real *****.

That whole thing just reeks of arrogance and self righteousness. 

My impression of Max was that he was great and upstanding kid, but this certainly doesn't paint his father out to be the same.

Stubbed their toe? *******

Seems like a knee jerk reaction and his pops being upset more at the fact that it was mentioned to mom while he wasn't there. I don't disagree with his assessment that Max is a tackle, but I'm not entirely sure why he would jump to the conclusion that playing inside is the only way UGA would play him. Pittman or Kirby could have just wanted to get their thoughts on his versatility. Our OL is getting stacked up. Bama's OL is already stacked up. We want the best players on the field.

Seems like a very unnecessary thing to be offended by.

fibonaccisquared likes this

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

Seems like a knee jerk reaction and his pops being upset more at the fact that it was mentioned to mom while he wasn't there. I don't disagree with his assessment that Max is a tackle, but I'm not entirely sure why he would jump to the conclusion that playing inside is the only way UGA would play him. Pittman or Kirby could have just wanted to get their thoughts on his versatility. Our OL is getting stacked up. Bama's OL is already stacked up. We want the best players on the field.

Oh for sure. Right away when I saw it, I was like, "****... holy knee jerk batman...". To come off of one comment while he wasn't there and then a couple of trips to Clemson/Bama to go straight to decommit rather than maybe having a discussion to get the scoop on what was actually said and what the intent behind it was. I fully agree that the kid is likely a tackle, size - athleticism... would be surprising for him not to end up at a tackle spot, but when we took his commitment, I'm sure the Isaiah Wilson commitment wasn't exactly expected, so it was probably with the thought that Thomas ends up manning a tackle spot, maybe Demery ends up grabbing the other but his is less solid and maybe moves inside if Wray competes and wins. With Wilson, Thomas, and Demery then the Juco from this year as well, it's certainly a lot more crowded than we likely were expecting. Wilson seems penciled in for at least  3 years at RT unless he just isn't ready when he gets here (which is certainly a possibility). So that's 2 years of Wray's 4-5 years of availability. On the other side, let's assume JUCO (or Wynn or another returning player) mans the LT spot... That leaves Thomas and Demery with a year's worth of S&C at UGA and experience in the system likely to then take the spot after a possible redshirt year. It's not impossible that he could come in and snatch the job early, but the reality is it's going to look a lot like Bama - stacked depth at tackle so you'll compete against the best and then likely get 2 years of playing in before going to the draft (assuming you excel). If the opportunity was there to get some playing time in early by manning an interior spot (see Ivey, Martez), you would think that a competitor might jump at the chance. 

My only concern with this one is that it's another hit to a pretty poor looking class of 2018 right now. I have faith still, but we need to start turning things around for 2018 soon, or we could really be dependent on a stellar 2017 season to sway some late movement. Need to have consistent highly ranked classes to ensure roster depth doesn't get hit by quick attrition (draft or otherwise) in the coming years... even if there isn't a lot of space, the quality of the incoming recruits needs to stay similar to what we saw this year (92+)... Bama is *averaging* about a 93 right now, so gotta try and stay close. OSU had a ridiculous 94.5 this year on a class of only 21, and Clemson with a 92+ on a small class of only 15. Will be interesting to see if they keep the avg rating up on larger classes in 18.

Just going off of the recent article on DawgNation, https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-scholarship-quarterback-brice-ramsey-reggie-wilkerson, We will only have 16 scholarships opening up as a result of graduating Seniors (17 if you count Marvin the grad transfer or Trent Frix, but my thought is Marvin's scholarship goes to one of the kickers on the roster after this season, so likely not "free" if that makes sense, and Frix may not get his scholarship renewed this year). Will be interesting to see who out of our juniors on defense look at the draft after this season though: candidates with some likelihood based on last year's performance being Trent Thompson, Roquan Smith, and Natrez Patrick

Also, interesting to me is the number of scholarship OL that just don't seem to be factors: Sam Madden, Sage Hardin, and Pat Allen. (Somehow I missed that Jurkovic was actually medically DQd last summer... I think I had just mentally filed that away as he was just granted a medical redshirt or something...) Any chance that these guys are going to be competing for playing time or are they destined for practice squad/depth at this point? I seem to remember both Pat Allen and Sage Hardin being talked up pretty well as recruits.

Yeah, numbers are going to be super tight. I was thinking about this earlier, and came up with this.

QB-1

RB-1

TE-1

WR-3

OL-3

Edge (WLB and SLB)-3

DT-3 (already been confirmed by inside sources that we're taking 3)

LB (ILB and OLB)-3

DB-3

K-1

That's your bare minimum numbers right there, and it already puts you at 22.

The expectation is that we'll end up taking 22-24, so there really isn't much wiggle room there.

This also probably explains why some guys who everyone thinks should be offered, haven't been.

Can't take everybody

Posted (edited)

I will say, for pretty much all of those positions, even with us with as few commitments as we have, I can at least see possible destinations. There are top players at just about all of those positions who we at least seem to have some level of "in" with, and even if we don't land the top guys, we're close enough with lower ranked players that I can at least see us landing on our feet.

QB and TE are the exception for me right now. It honestly feels to me like we're throwing darts at a dart board there, and we don't seem to be leading or doing well with anybody.

I'm not terribly worried about the others (yet). I can at least get a good feel for the others.

Edited by VA F.O.

6 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Yeah, numbers are going to be super tight. I was thinking about this earlier, and came up with this.

QB-1

RB-1

TE-1

WR-3

OL-3

Edge (WLB and SLB)-3

DT-3 (already been confirmed by inside sources that we're taking 3)

LB (ILB and OLB)-3

DB-3

K-1

That's your bare minimum numbers right there, and it already puts you at 22.

The expectation is that we'll end up taking 22-24, so there really isn't much wiggle room there.

Yeah, Luke Ford's recruitment was taking off here recently but just committed to Arkansas, one of the first schools to offer him back in January according to 247. Currently just a 3*, but the offer list growth rate would tend to lead one to believe 4* talent at TE at least.

I'd imagine at K, we might not put a scholarship on an incoming player, so that's why I was just leaving Marvin's "spoken for" if you will.

Otherwise, I think with a little wiggle room, you're probably pretty close. I'm curious if any of the DBs we have move to ILB if we lost Smith and/or Patrick after 2017 to the draft or if we feel good with what we've got at ILB. 

Also really want to see what Stokes, Speed, and Brini are able to do here. That was a *lot* of DBs to take in one cycle... Stokes is just stupid fast (fastest 100M time of any football recruit in the 2017 class at 10.4), so hoping he gets a shot at KR if nothing else. If those guys are able to come in and contribute in addition to the more highly rated guys, it could be tough to justify 3 DBs in 18 unless they're all very highly rated. 

Considering that we've already offered that one kicker, and Rusty has all but guaranteed that he's a take, I'm going to just assume a spot for him. 

As for DB, obviously, the big fish there is Tyreke Johnson. Trey Dean also seems like a clear take, but with numbers being what they are, I can't imagine us taking more than 4 total DBs (CBs and Ss). 

I'd love for us to get Johnson, Dean, and Kyler McMichael. I actually think that McMichael may very well be the best CB and RB both in GA for 2018.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Dad is living vicariously through his son it seems.

16 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

This also probably explains why some guys who everyone thinks should be offered, haven't been.

Can't take everybody

I think Sentell hinted at this recently on DN Daily... said something to the effect of "beyond a handful of guys, Smart and the rest of the staff just aren't 100% sold on who they even want to take in this class with the limited spots available". Georgia crop is a little underwhelming compared to 17 and 19, and going out of state is going to be necessary... Hope they start honing in on their specific targets soon though. "Worried" would be an overstatement, but definitely starting to border on concerning.

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Considering that we've already offered that one kicker, and Rusty has all but guaranteed that he's a take, I'm going to just assume a spot for him. 

As for DB, obviously, the big fish there is Tyreke Johnson. Trey Dean also seems like a clear take, but with numbers being what they are, I can't imagine us taking more than 4 total DBs (CBs and Ss). 

I'd love for us to get Johnson, Dean, and Kyler McMichael. I actually think that McMichael may very well be the best CB and RB both in GA for 2018.

I must have missed that K offer, but if that's the case, the writing has to be on the wall for HotRod... Maybe picks up a scholly this year if more than expected attrition, but that kinda sucks.

Do you know anything about Jaycee Horn? 38 offers right now for a 3* CB rated at 85 seems insane... He's got an offer from most of the SEC (Bama, Auburn, UGA, Tenn, Miss St, USC, Ole Miss, LSU) as well as Ohio State and several others... Of course trying to determine what's a "committable offer" is a fool's errand, but that's a *lot* of interest.

Hadn't looked at McMichael that much so far, but going to check out his film later tonight or tomorrow. And yeah, Dean looks like a clear take for SS. Dude brings the wood.

Edited by fibonaccisquared

8 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

I think Sentell hinted at this recently on DN Daily... said something to the effect of "beyond a handful of guys, Smart and the rest of the staff just aren't 100% sold on who they even want to take in this class with the limited spots available". Georgia crop is a little underwhelming compared to 17 and 19, and going out of state is going to be necessary... Hope they start honing in on their specific targets soon though. "Worried" would be an overstatement, but definitely starting to border on concerning.

Well we seem to have some good "ins" with quite a few top guys: Zamir White, Micah Parsons, Salyer, Johnson, Teradja Mitchell, KJ Henry, Brennan Eagles, Trey Hill; all being guys in the top 50.

Obviously we won't land all of them, but if we even land some, or maybe half, then that's a pretty **** good haul, for what's really a down year for UGA's recruiting prospects.

4 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Well we seem to have some good "ins" with quite a few top guys: Zamir White, Micah Parsons, Salyer, Johnson, Teradja Mitchell, KJ Henry, Brennan Eagles, Trey Hill; all being guys in the top 50.

Obviously we won't land all of them, but if we even land some, or maybe half, then that's a pretty **** good haul, for what's really a down year for UGA's recruiting prospects.

Yeah for sure. Would love to see us just abuse ole douchenozzle Franklin at Penn St and grab both Parsons *and* Fields... but I know that's just being greedy. Also, see above edit re: Jaycee Horn - do you know anything about why his recruiting is blowing up?

3 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Yeah for sure. Would love to see us just abuse ole douchenozzle Franklin at Penn St and grab both Parsons *and* Fields... but I know that's just being greedy. Also, see above edit re: Jaycee Horn - do you know anything about why his recruiting is blowing up?

Couldn't say

Watched him but didn't come away super impressed, at least not any more than with some others whom we've offered

Just now, VA F.O. said:

Couldn't say

Watched him but didn't come away super impressed, at least not any more than with some others whom we've offered

Yeah, was kind of my thought. Seems to be right place right time a lot, picking off underthrown passes, but otherwise nothing spectacular. Must be impressing in person though.

Also, re: the list you mentioned above, was just curious where that would put a team... class calculator with all those additions plus our 2 current commits would be at 234, and only 10 commits - avg rating of 97.1... obviously the class would have to get rounded out but ****.

Posted (edited)

I don't think that Rusty has issued this many CBs to just offered prospects ever.

Edited by VA F.O.

Offers are weird this cycle. We have offered a lot of players, especially dual threat QBs.

Assuming we get Salyer and Hill... I am hoping we can get Wonnum as well, but I'm not very confident in that one even if he is high on UGA. I just have this feeling that he will end up at Bama or Ohio State and Wray will come back to the good guys in the end. If not, we may take a chance on the Faalele giant as a guy with huge potential that can redshirt and be developed.

Who freaking knows lol... this 2018 class is going to be weird to follow.

California 4* QB Tanner McKee will be making a trip to the south to visit Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina (in that order). UGA gets him on campus the 31st of this month. He says he does not have a timetable for commitment and doesn’t have a list of his top choices yet.