Falconsfan567

Bryce Harper

23 posts in this topic

Alright, here's the deal, Bryce Harper is set to become a free agent after the 2018 season unless somehow the Nats shell out huge money for yet another player. After the contracts they've given to Werth, Strasburg and Scherzer in the past it wouldn't totally be out of the question. But say Harper hits the open market would you want the Braves to sign him?

Here's my case for signing Harper, say the Braves continue to improve dramatically and are on the brink of a legit World Series run in 2019 and Harper could be the guy to put the Braves over the top. Money probably shouldn't be an issue if the Braves are bringing in the type of income that they're expecting with the new stadium and Battery Atlanta. Could you imagine an OF of Bryce Harper in LF, Ender Inciarte in CF and Ronald Acuna in RF? Pretty **** awesome!

Austin Riley should he develop like we all would hope he would should be on the brink of the majors by 2019 as well. Braves 2019 lineup?

• C - ???
  • 1B - Freddie Freeman
  • 2B - Ozzie Albies
  • 3B - Austin Riley
  • SS - Dansby Swanson
  • LF - Bryce Harper
  • CF - Ender Inciarte
  • RF - Ronald Acuna

I'd hate to be a pitcher and facing that lineup.

But I can understand those that wouldn't want the Braves to invest mega money in Bryce Harper, both from a baseball prospective and off field prospective. I'll just say, that as much of an ******* as Bryce is, he's still a really good baseball player and I'd love to have him in a Braves uniform if he's the difference between winning a World Series or just making it there.

Harper is great but not for the $40M a year he wants. That would zap a lot of our payroll into one guy.

57 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

Reilly and Acuna starring in the bugs next year? Yeah nah don't like ya chances

Nope. This would be for 2019. Acuna is already in Double-A. No reason to think he won't make his debut sometime in 2018. HeIl, if the season goes awash this year and the Braves dump Kemp and/or Markakis we could see Acuna this year.

Riley is further away but by 2019 should be close. Probably midseason or late season if all goes well. So we would definitely have to have someone else at 3B.

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Harper is great but not for the $40M a year he wants. That would zap a lot of our payroll into one guy.

I think it would be worth it if it guaranteed us a World Series title. But baseball doesn't work that way.

The Braves are not the kind of team that can lock up that kind of money into any one player, no more than the Rangers should have signed Alex Rodriguez. 

9 hours ago, K26dp said:

The Braves are not the kind of team that can lock up that kind of money into any one player, no more than the Rangers should have signed Alex Rodriguez. 

8 hours ago, Ransack said:

Always a bad idea to spend that much money on one guy.

I know it wouldn't be the best idea. I just want to see a Braves world series title so bad. HeIl, just to see the Braves back in the NLCS would be the best thing ever at this point. It's become that bad.

Signing Harper would, IMO, make those goals harder to achieve. That is nothing to do with him as a player. There's no denying his talent. It's all just based on budget and roster construction. 

The rebuild is going well. Let it finish.

3 hours ago, K26dp said:

Signing Harper would, IMO, make those goals harder to achieve. That is nothing to do with him as a player. There's no denying his talent. It's all just based on budget and roster construction. 

The rebuild is going well. Let it finish.

Yes we've got a stacked farm system but we're in for yet another long season on the major league side. I mean we improved by 1 game in the standings in 2016 over 2015. It was still just 68 wins. We'll be lucky to win 75 games this year. Kemp's August and September performance was a total fluke. Garcia is horrific at 3B. Phillips is below average at 2B. Flowers had a career year that he's not likely to repeat. Dickey is horrible. Colon's magic is gonna run out sooner or later. Johnson magically had more strikeouts than innings pitched last year for the first time in his career and there's no way in the world we can realistically expect that to happen again.

The first wave of pitching prospects that was supposed to accelerate the rebuild is looking like a flop. I believe in Folty but that's about it at this point. Wisler had a brilliant stretch of about 10 starts at the end of 2015 that carried over in 2016 but then reverted back to being horrible. Blair aside from his last 2 starts of 2016 was horrific. Nothing Sean Newcomb has done in the minors has been overly impressive. All our big time bats are still a long way away from the majors. I mean we've got Dansby already in the majors and Acuna and Albies close, but the rest are still a ways away. I like what little bit I've seen of Rio Ruiz but he looks like a platoon guy at best. Dustin Peterson improved a lot last year but still projects as nothing more than a 4th outfielder with subpar defense that limits his value since he can't play CF.

Realistically, as much as I want to believe the Braves can make a big leap forward in 2018 or 2019, I just don't see it happening.

I'm not going to disagree with you on anything you said. But let me counter.

• Albies will take over 2B at some point in 2017.
  • Newcomb showed significant improvements in control over the last half the season, and reportedly further refined some changes this offseason. It's too early to give up on him. He'll be up before the end of the season.
  • We have about about 7 minor league arms that could step and replace anyone in the current bullpen with minimal loss of performance. This includes Matt Wisler and Lucas Sims.
  • Even if Ruiz is only a platoon bat, he should make a strong left side of a platoon. Garcia is fine for this season, Rodriguez will be back for next. In the pipeline we have Demeritte as a near-term possibility.
  • All those veterans you mention are on short-term deals. That's $35.7M in payroll that can be redirected to fill in elsewhere.
  • I don't think some high-talent guys that mostly played in Rome are actually all that far away. I'm talking about Max Fried, Patrick Weigel, and Ronald Acuna in particular. 

I think we'll win ~77 this season. A losing season, but not a horrible one. The team should actually get younger as the season progresses. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

Fried has been drawing great reviews. MLB Pipeline just listed him as a guy "ready to surge" in 2017. They said his stuff is back to where it was before the injury. Acuna has been impressing everyone as well. He's just 19 but in the article yesterday DOB said the feel was nobody would be surprised if he's in MLB sooner rather than later. Coppy has long said that age and service time doesn't matter. They'll be called up when they feel it's time. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

On 3/3/2017 at 0:15 AM, Falconsfan567 said:

I think it would be worth it if it guaranteed us a World Series title. But baseball doesn't work that way.

Albert Pujols $250 Mil... Angels have been going down ever since and they have really not had the budget ever since.  Add CJ Wilson's $85 Mil and Josh Hamilton's $125 MIl and teams just cannot recover from those bad deals.  

Harper at $400 Mil would be a disaster...See Stanton's $300 Mil

These largess contracts never seem to workout 

3 hours ago, K26dp said:

I'm not going to disagree with you on anything you said. But let me counter.

• Albies will take over 2B at some point in 2017.
  • Newcomb showed significant improvements in control over the last half the season, and reportedly further refined some changes this offseason. It's too early to give up on him. He'll be up before the end of the season.
  • We have about about 7 minor league arms that could step and replace anyone in the current bullpen with minimal loss of performance. This includes Matt Wisler and Lucas Sims.
  • Even if Ruiz is only a platoon bat, he should make a strong left side of a platoon. Garcia is fine for this season, Rodriguez will be back for next. In the pipeline we have Demeritte as a near-term possibility.
  • All those veterans you mention are on short-term deals. That's $35.7M in payroll that can be redirected to fill in elsewhere.
  • I don't think some high-talent guys that mostly played in Rome are actually all that far away. I'm talking about Max Fried, Patrick Weigel, and Ronald Acuna in particular. 

I think we'll win ~77 this season. A losing season, but not a horrible one. The team should actually get younger as the season progresses. 

I hope so. Opening the season with the oldest roster in the majors (just guessing here) just doesn't give me thrills and frills. I realize last year it sucked seeing guys like Blair and Wisler flop so badly at the MLB level, combined with having to use 16 different starting pitchers, caused the Braves to want to make sure that didn't happen again this year so they went after guys that have a long track record of eating innings (sans Garcia).

Here's the deal, you've got a better understanding of how this works, you lived through Bobby's rebuild of the Braves in the 80s. You know what to realistically expect and not to expect. I don't. This is a first for me.

K26dp likes this

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Albert Pujols $250 Mil... Angels have been going down ever since and they have really not had the budget ever since.  Add CJ Wilson's $85 Mil and Josh Hamilton's $125 MIl and teams just cannot recover from those bad deals.  

You cannot compare Bryce Harper to the 3 guys the Angels signed. The 3 guys the Angels signed were all over 30 years old and on the downside of their career. Those deals were disasters the minute they were announced.

Stanton is solid. It's not his fault the Marlins suck. Marlins have sucked for a long, long time now.

Bryce Harper will be hitting the open market at 25 years old. This is the A-Rod deal all over again. Harper's gonna put up his numbers. You may not be able to afford to field a competitive team around him but Harper's going to perform just as A-Rod did for the Rangers.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

You cannot compare Bryce Harper to the 3 guys the Angels signed. The 3 guys the Angels signed were all over 30 years old and on the downside of their career. Those deals were disasters the minute they were announced.

Stanton is solid. It's not his fault the Marlins suck. Marlins have sucked for a long, long time now.

Bryce Harper will be hitting the open market at 25 years old. This is the A-Rod deal all over again. Harper's gonna put up his numbers. You may not be able to afford to field a competitive team around him but Harper's going to perform just as A-Rod did for the Rangers.

I think you're missing the point.  I'm not judging the players per se, but what those large contract do to the team.  Where have they worked out exactly?  Correct me if I'm wrong but what teams have won a world series that had a player on their roster with one of these mega-contracts? 

4 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I think you're missing the point.  I'm not judging the players per se, but what those large contract do to the team.  Where have they worked out exactly?  Correct me if I'm wrong but what teams have won a world series that had a player on their roster with one of these mega-contracts? 

The Yankees won the World Series in 2009 with A-Rod, Teixeria, and CC Sabathia all on the roster with mega contracts. But I get your point. But I was just saying, the Angels were dumb for doing what they did. Depending on which team signs Harper, (cough Yankees, Dodgers, ect.) it won't have nearly the same negative impact as A-Rod's contract did on the Yankees. That's the point I was trying to make.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Yankees won the World Series in 2009 with A-Rod, Teixeria, and CC Sabathia all on the roster with mega contracts. But I get your point. But I was just saying, the Angels were dumb for doing what they did. Depending on which team signs Harper, (cough Yankees, Dodgers, ect.) it won't have nearly the same negative impact as A-Rod's contract did on the Yankees. That's the point I was trying to make.

I think we agree on a lot here.  I see a $400 million Harper signing as a big mistake.  I also love Stanton as a player, but his $330 million contract for the Marlins was a big mistake as well.  

Harper is a great player but can he even pull $40M a year? If you look at his stats nothing really jumps out as that kind of money. He had an amazing season in 2015 but so far those numbers are a one time event. He should get paid big but I'm not sold on his $400M demands. He still has time to build even more value but right now I think it's crazy. Stanton's contract was crazy too. Especially considering the Marlins payroll limitations.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

15 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Harper is a great player but can he even pull $40M a year? If you look at his stats nothing really jumps out as that kind of money. He had an amazing season in 2015 but so far those numbers are a one time event. He should get paid big but I'm not sold on his $400M demands. He still has time to build even more value but right now I think it's crazy. Stanton's contract was crazy too. Especially considering the Marlins payroll limitations.

Yep. Was thinking that too.

On March 4, 2017 at 10:26 AM, WhenFalconsWin said:

But there's always someone willing to pay for it.