LAmattyboy2

adrian peterson to replace freeman opinions?

128 posts in this topic

Hi I prefer peterson, if we are gonna spend big money on running back lets make it count. I personally am opposed to extending freeman and trufant.

We all know the case can be made that its the o line getting push and not so much freeman. I would rather go with coleman and let freeman walk at 

the end of the year.

I believe in the philosophy of finding running backs in the draft for cheap but if I had no choice especially since we are in a Super Bowl window mode I

would upgrade to peterson with less risk since freeman would still be around this year.

One could also argue Freeman has not done well when the o line struggled to win the line of scrimmage. Ive seen freeman get stopped for no gain plenty and 

it would take the passing game to set up the run instead of vice versa most times. Whenever we needed to extend drives with the run game to burn clock I never 

trusted freeman to do so, I knew he would get stopped and I saw a lot of passing to extend drives but when we would go incomplete it would stop the clock and

make things worse. Lastly he shares reps with coleman who would be starting material on other teams, I would not pay workhorse money for a dual back.

Side note   Dont get me started on trufant, Alford got the money because he deserved it. Those 2 boys Alford and Collins balled out the rest of the season

and I'm more than comfortable rolling with them. Yes adding trufant can strengthen the team but no, id rather start talking collins extension at this point and

draft another corner.  Saving money letting go of freeman and trufant can help us sign Tj Lang and some of the other big boys of free agency like campbell or hightower.

And then what happens when coleman starts asking for his money too? these guys are not AP good and are banking on our solid OL. we need to also be mindful of the need for 2 guards since levitre is wrapping up his contract and mathews will need an extension.  

I think Peterson thrives in a Deep I - Set formation. Actually something he demands.....

Why replace young Talent with Old Injured talent? That's how a team stays perennial losers.

Skeetbird likes this

Just now, TheFalcoholic said:

Didn't read :slick:

I get that it's out of the box; but what the heck. It's interesting if for some reason Freeman threatened hold out, because they couldn't come to a reasonable agreement. I hate betting against AP, though, he's a freak.

In my convoluted dream world, i'd love to get a healthy and determined AP. It'd be like the Pats with Dillon, or Lynch finding his groove in Seattle. Lynch was younger; but Corey Dillon was 30. So AP at 31 balling out isn't too crazy.

Now if you objectively asked me who's the better back. There's no doubt that a healthy AP is a lot better than Freeman. Sorry, but not even close.

Do I think this scenario happens? Probably not

Knight of God likes this

4 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I get that it's out of the box; but what the heck. It's interesting if for some reason Freeman threatened hold out, because they couldn't come to a reasonable agreement. I hate betting against AP, though, he's a freak.

In my convoluted dream world, i'd love to get a healthy and determined AP. It'd be like the Pats with Dillon, or Lynch finding his groove in Seattle. Lynch was younger; but Corey Dillon was 30. So AP at 31 balling out isn't too crazy.

Now if you objectively asked me who's the better back. There's no doubt that a healthy AP is a lot better than Freeman. Sorry, but not even close.

Do I think this scenario happens? Probably not

24 & 31 is all that really matters. There isn't even a comparison of who the better back is at this point. Every team in the NFL would take Devonta Freeman over AP, and AP is going in to the Hall. 

If we can add Pete for a great deal,, I'm all in,, but only if we keep Freeman and let them share to load,, That would give us the best 3 RBs in the league,, as a whole.. along with Coleman. 

But , bottom line is that will never happen,, we need that money to upgrade the OL and get another great DE.

Knight of God likes this

29 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

24 & 31 is all that really matters. There isn't even a comparison of who the better back is at this point. Every team in the NFL would take Devonta Freeman over AP, and AP is going in to the Hall. 

That's a highly subjective statement. And, quite possibly, erroneous. A healthy AP is way better than Freeman. 

Just now, MSalmon said:

That's a highly subjective statement. And, quite possibly, erroneous. A healthy AP is way better than Freeman. 

You're entitled to your opinion man. Devonta is young. AP is not. Who's going to give you a better 5 years?

3 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

You're entitled to your opinion man. Devonta is young. AP is not. Who's going to give you a better 5 years?

lol, dude. All i'm saying, and i'm not advocating it (just enjoying this weirdly interesting thread) that if AP is healthy he's far more dominant and i'm not worried about 5 years at the rb position. Let's say we hypothetically signed AP and he balled out and we win a SB but retired right after, would you be PO'd? I wouldn't.

There aren't a lot of truly elite backs in the history of the NFL. And AP is one. Freeman is not. He's a time share back. Good, fits the system and at the moment economical.