Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FentayeJones

Mohamed Sanu: Falcons won't be defined by collapse

28 posts in this topic

Mohamed Sanu: Falcons won't be defined by collapse

By Conor Orr

Around The NFL Writer

Falcons wide receiver Mohamed Sanu might be guilty of wishful thinking, but he doesn't think the Falcons should be defined by their performance in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LI.

"I mean, it's however you guys want to interpret it as. Us as a team, we know what we have and what we did throughout the whole season and I wouldn't say the last quarter of that game is our legacy," Sanu said Friday on Good Morning Football. "We did what we had to do throughout the season to make it to the big stage and we played well. It just so happened it didn't go our way."

Sanu was understandably defensive of the Falcons, who blew a 28-3 lead to the Patriots and lost the game in overtime. It was the largest comeback in Super Bowl history. After running back Tevin Coleman scored with 8:31 to go in the third quarter, giving the Falcons a 25-point lead, Sanu said the team felt like they had it wrapped up. However, the momentum quickly shifted.

"Most definitely," he said. "You're thinking 'OK we got this, let's keep doing what we're doing and trust the process.' Just go out there and do what we do. I just felt like momentum shifted and we weren't playing as aggressively as we usually do. It's just unfortunate."

Sanu, though, pointed to the extended halftime as part of the issue. This is a common refrain from players, who are used to a 15-minute break before matriculating back onto the field. The Super Bowl halftime lasts about an hour -- apparently long enough for complacency to set in.

"It definitely (affected us) because usually halftime is only like 15 minutes so when you're not on the field for an hour, it's like going to work out, having a great workout, sitting on the couch for an hour and then trying to work out again," he said.

Sanu refused to blame the loss on offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who drew intense scrutiny for his late-game play-calling. In lieu of milking the clock, Shanahan stayed aggressive.

"I mean, the thought (why aren't we running the ball?) crosses your mind, but as a player you do what the coach tells you to do," Sanu said. "He's called plays like that throughout the season all the time. He's been aggressive, we're an aggressive team, so we go out there and we do what we do."

Kudos to Sanu for answering the questions with a level head. Translated across any other profession, we would not expect a CEO to candidly talk about a failed merger every time he appears in public, nor would we expect the chef whose restaurant was destroyed by a zero-star review to be congenial about it. This has the potential to be a life-altering moment in time for every player on that Falcons team, but at the moment, they seem to be handling it far better than expected.

"It's gotten better," Sanu said of the lingering what ifs. "But there are times I wake up like..."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000787646/article/mohamed-sanu-falcons-wont-be-defined-by-collapse

20 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I love the fight in him.  Use it, channel it.  Let it make you better and motivate you.  

NEVER allow other's to define you...EVER!!

Totally.

I think of it this way.

Until we win a Lombardi (and perhaps even after that) Super Bowl 51 WILL define the media's perception of this team. That's just how it works - they latch onto the obvious story. It will also be how many opposing fans define us. Heck, it will probably even be how some FALCONS fans define us.

But perceptions OUTSIDE the building do not have to define the perceptions INSIDE the building. 

If INSIDE the building we use that loss to light a fire and get back to the big stage, then the outside noise will be just that ... noise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. the players that Quinn has assembled are high character guys..and if there is one coach that can bring his team back after a devastating loss like that it's Dan Quinn. Do I think we return to the superbowl this year, no I do not. I do think we bounce back and win the division and make the playoffs. I think we're going to be a regular participant for the next few years and a superbowl is in our future..

me4falcons likes this

I got to the point long ago about not caring what the media has to say about the Falcons. I rarely watch ESPN, or NFLN, and only tune in for games. There is really no one that works for the major sports outlets, that is a fan of the Falcons, so they don't like to talk about the Falcons when they are playing well, but love to pile on them when they aren't. It will probably always be this way, so why care about the crapfest that these people like to generate regarding the Falcons. I get more bothered by what is said on these boards, than anywhere else.

For me, the loss doesn't define the Falcons, but is just another chapter in how the Falcons always make some other team look great. That's what they've always done. The Falcons are the Wingman (hence the name Falcons) of the NFL. When another team needs someone to pay attention to the friend of the hot girl, or pump up their status, then the Falcons are there to help. That's what defines the Falcons to me. One day they'll get the pretty girl, but it's going to take some tequila, and a bad boy attitude to do it. Of course after the night is over, the NFL will want to forget all about it just like the hot girl always does.

Best Ensemble

That just means the best group collectively working together.

Edited by Crazy Trav

4 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Totally.

I think of it this way.

Until we win a Lombardi (and perhaps even after that) Super Bowl 51 WILL define the media's perception of this team. That's just how it works - they latch onto the obvious story. It will also be how many opposing fans define us. Heck, it will probably even be how some FALCONS fans define us.

But perceptions OUTSIDE the building do not have to define the perceptions INSIDE the building. 

If INSIDE the building we use that loss to light a fire and get back to the big stage, then the outside noise will be just that ... noise.

I actually think we opened some eyes. We got there by playing fantastic.  Then we kicked the snot out of them for nearly 2.5 to 3 Qtrs...  We didn't finish... Stay hungry baby!!

He gets it! Personal accolades mean nothing unless it is a win shared among brothers or family! And I with they would stop saying "The Brotherhood", keep in mind those super beautiful cheerleaders go through complete **** to get where they are at also! The Falcons family is what it should be called, not just a big boy brotherhood club. 

7 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Talk is talk. We'll see what's up next season. 

Agreed. And Half-time show isn't even in stratosphere of why we lost.

personally, I wish these guys ( if they interact with the media at all right now, which I'm not sure they should)  would just come across as more pizzed off at themselves than being defensive  ....especially the head coach..Just own the loss and not say much more than that other than let everyone know they're extremely pizzed about it. 

Edited by Vandy
HouseofEuphoria likes this

2 hours ago, ARealFalconFan said:

He gets it! Personal accolades mean nothing unless it is a win shared among brothers or family! And I with they would stop saying "The Brotherhood", keep in mind those super beautiful cheerleaders go through complete **** to get where they are at also! The Falcons family is what it should be called, not just a big boy brotherhood club. 

Lighten up, Francis...

The march is thataway -------->

crimsonhawk and Vandy like this

10 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I got to the point long ago about not caring what the media has to say about the Falcons. I rarely watch ESPN, or NFLN, and only tune in for games. There is really no one that works for the major sports outlets, that is a fan of the Falcons, so they don't like to talk about the Falcons when they are playing well, but love to pile on them when they aren't. It will probably always be this way, so why care about the crapfest that these people like to generate regarding the Falcons. I get more bothered by what is said on these boards, than anywhere else.

For me, the loss doesn't define the Falcons, but is just another chapter in how the Falcons always make some other team look great. That's what they've always done. The Falcons are the Wingman (hence the name Falcons) of the NFL. When another team needs someone to pay attention to the friend of the hot girl, or pump up their status, then the Falcons are there to help. That's what defines the Falcons to me. One day they'll get the pretty girl, but it's going to take some tequila, and a bad boy attitude to do it. Of course after the night is over, the NFL will want to forget all about it just like the hot girl always does.

I'll supply the Da** tequila if that's all it takes. I have enough attitude for the whole freaking team as well.:argh:<<<<SEE!

BCEagleATLFalcon likes this

He's exactly right though about them thinking they had the game in the bag.  I remember when Matt's headset went out.  He just gingerly walked over to the ref to let him know he was going to call a timeout, then just walked over to the sideline like it was the 4th quarter with :32 seconds on the clock. There wasn't a bit of worry or any urgency to his step as if we had this game in the bag.  I haven't and will never watch that game again but I believe this happened on the drive after we recovered the onside kick.

Vandy likes this

Throughout Ryan's career we've taken baby steps to win a championship. All those years of one and done, a collapse in the NFC championship, and our meltdown in the SUPERBOWL. Well, time for us to take one last step and get a ring.

Yes they will. Until some other franchises does something equally pathetic, this will literally be brought up at some point 2 or 3 times a year for the foreseeable future.

Jy23 likes this

20 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I actually think we opened some eyes. We got there by playing fantastic.  Then we kicked the snot out of them for nearly 2.5 to 3 Qtrs...  We didn't finish... Stay hungry baby!!

Remember that next season in every game the Falcons have a lead in and count how many times they mention the Super Bowl.

Or God forbid they blow another lead.... the media will have a field day with that one.

13 hours ago, ltstorm2 said:

He's exactly right though about them thinking they had the game in the bag.  I remember when Matt's headset went out.  He just gingerly walked over to the ref to let him know he was going to call a timeout, then just walked over to the sideline like it was the 4th quarter with :32 seconds on the clock. There wasn't a bit of worry or any urgency to his step as if we had this game in the bag.  I haven't and will never watch that game again but I believe this happened on the drive after we recovered the onside kick.

You should at least watch that part again because he sounded pretty pissed off to me.