QuinnTorris

I realistically don't expect us to make the SB or even the playoffs next season

60 posts in this topic

The only thing that will ease the pain of the Super Bowl loss that I'm still dealing with is if the Falcons return to the Super Bowl and get the job done. Of course I'd prefer NE again but it doesn't matter. I'm praying for a miraculously historic 19-0 run but I'd be just as happy if we went 9-7 and still won the championship. 

Now, realistically speaking I think that the Falcons will not make the Super Bowl next season and probably not even the playoffs. It would be the most Atlanta thing ever for us to have a losing season after a trip to the Super Bowl and I pray that's not the case but this is the city of disappointment. We are even more cursed than Cleveland and it's truly not fair. In any case I don't think the Falcons will fall off a cliff like the Panthers. 

Despite what happens in FA or in the draft I see us going 8-8 or 9-7 either narrowly missing or narrowly making the post season. My reasons for this include us trying to get over the worst SB loss in NFL history coupled with the sweeping changes along the coaching staff. Matt Ryan is certainly not going to perform at the same level he did in 2016 but I do expect the defense to be much better. They looked dominant at times this year, especially during that run we went on after the KC loss. 

But all in all, the biggest thing for me is the coaching changes. I know we are keeping the same schemes on both sides of the ball but all of these new guys are still going to have to learn how to adjust when we are playing an actual game. I expect us to struggle out of the gates and finish the year strong. I will be mightily impressed with Quinn if he can rebuild his entire staff and get us back deep into the playoffs again. That's something only Belicheck can pull off usually. 

Also, the Bucs will be improved too. They were on our tails at one point and they do currently hold a 3-1 edge over Quinn. Jameis is not Josh Freeman. He has top QB potential and anyone who disagrees is just a homer. And Mike Smith has that defense playing well. I was hoping he got hired elsewhere because that's what really fuels Tampa's run. 

Lastly, you have to believe Carolina will bounce back and become competitive again. They are too talented and they've been doing this up and down thing for years now which is annoying that they won the division 3 straight times, but it's whatever. Cam is still a good QB, they will get him some protection. Nobody scores 45 TDs in a season as a fluke. 

I'm not worried about the Taints though. That defense will never be worth a dayum and Brees will age eventually. They should've traded him and Payton because they are both wasting their time. NO is not built to compete with us, Carolina, or Tampa for the next few years. 

Shelley#37 and osiruz like this

I 100% expect to make playoffs, I didn't expect to make playoffs this season and we made the SB. I don't think any team bar the Patriots ever 'expect' to make the SB.

I think this loss will provide us, especially Ryan with a lot of drive to compete even harder.

We are not Carolina. They were incredibly arrogant throughout their SB run season and their loss to the Broncos (twice in a row) hit them like a truck and brought the back down to earth and the jury is still out on whether Cam can overcome adversity and lead his team. (Keuchly is their leader)

Didn't read it all, but I will agree with the Bucs.  Carolina, I wasn't really impressed with them last season.  The wins looked better in the playoffs, but other that.  They looked more like our 2012 team.  A lot of close games that we should have probably lost.  New Orleans is still the major threat for us in the NFCS.  As long as Brees and Payton are there, they will be.  Let's not forget, that defense has improved. 

I believe we will make the playoffs ... jury still out on the Super Bowl.

I think this team is perfectly built (mentally speaking) to avoid a Super Bowl hangover or to wallow in the bitter taste of that loss. Matt Ryan's confidence in his own game has to be at an all time high after the MVP and playing really well in the postseason (something he's been essentially told time and again in interviews that people didn't think he could do). Julio is a pro's pro who is going to help propel us back. Some of our new offensive pieces (Sanu, Hooper, and Gabriel) now have a full year's worth of chemistry.

The defense is young and hungry (they've tasted the biggest stage there is and you know they'll want to get back) and MAN I can't wait to see them next season with a year under their belts and an offseason of acquisitions.

And Quinn, well, you better believe that SB loss is going to light a new fire under an already fiery guy. But I see him instilling the right mindset in this team (One game at a time to get back) - he has proven to me he's one **** of a motivator.

Now I do hear your point on the overhauled coaching staff. But if Quinn was really calling plays ever since the bye, technically the defense was already IN a coaching transition and look how well they performed! Dominated playoff quarterbacks including Rodgers and Brady for 11 of 12 regular quarters. And we are not changing the offensive scheme - so while I expect a bit of a drop off (historic offenses are historic for a reason, they just don't happen year after year), I don't expect that drop off to be massive. Sark seems much more likely to HEAR his veteran QB and work with him. We have such a cerebral quarterback and now an OC who will better respect that. 

In my mind, worst case is a wildcard in 2017 and then we are absolutely primed (with a year under our belts with the new coaches and two offseasons worth of acquisitions) to take a top seed in 2018 and be the first team to win it all in their home city.

Boom. 

Bucs are becoming threat but I'm not sure what to think about the Panthers.

They have to change how they use Cam or else he will not hold up that much longer because teams see that they can hit him often based on the nature of how he plays, which also causes him to mentally checkout of games.

Cam is being used too much as an extension of their run game.

Faithful Falcon likes this

Next season will be about injuries. If Matt Ryan gets injured, we are obviously done. If there are a rash of injuries to the OL group, we are done. When it rains in Falcon land, it pours and there is usually massive flooding to follow. If we just suffer a few injuries, then we can maybe make it back to the playoffs. I won't be surprised with whatever happens, as I've seen all the bad scenarios before. I sure am ready to see what winning it all is like.

I decided after the Super Bowl that I'm not walking into this season expecting anything.

That's not to say that I think that the team won't make the playoffs.  I just don't want to go into it expecting great things and spend the year pissed off that we blew a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl.

So instead I'm going with last season was last season.  This season is this season.  Last year has no bearing on this year.  Every year I wait for the first half of the season to play itself out before I decide if the Falcons are good enough to win in the playoffs, and I'm taking the same approach this year.

After what we witnessed February 5, I don't see how any person with a brain bigger than

a pea can seriously predict what is going to happen nearly a whole year from now.

The worst thing this organization can do is focus on anything beyond pre-draft....then the draft...then camp...then the first game of next year.....and on and on....one thing at a time.  If the organization operates under the assumption that they deserve to be in Super Bowl LII....well, then next season is already f'ked. 

Injuries can be significant but good teams overcome them in most cases.  The only injured player that I could see totally destroying our season would be to Ryan.  If we are able to resign Schaub as backup (is he going to San Francisco with Shanahan?), he could probably carry us a few games but not for an extended period.

As for Julio, I think we showed this year that our offense can live without him present.  He certainly carries us to a higher level, but we can still maintain a high level without him.

Others on offense are also important, but injuries to Tamme, Coleman, Gabriel, etc. did not keep it from being the one of the best offenses all time.

On defense, if it had been stated that Trufant was going to miss half a season at the beginning of last year, many would have considered it impossible for our defense to be playoff-capable.  We also had other major injuries to Shelby, Clayborn, Weatherspoon, Campbell during the year that did not destroy the defense.

The real key to our season is having solid backups around to cover for injuries.

BCEagleATLFalcon likes this

As much as I harken back to no team returning to the Super Bowl the year after losing one since the advent of the salary cap in '94, barring injuries (and another 4th quarter meltdown), I can honestly see the Falcons bucking the trend and winning it all next season. I do not see a flash in the pan scenario like I did after they lost to Denver in SB 33. And besides, what team in pro sports have a bigger chip on their shoulder than they currently have?

No doubt that the division is going to be tough to repeat. Tampa will be better, Carolina may have been humbled enough from losing last year to work hard again, and the Saints are always dangerous with Brees and Payton calling the shots. But again, barring injuries, this is the team they (along with the rest of the conference) are looking up to and wanting to be like (the 4th quarter of the last game notwithstanding).

I have them making the playoffs as the floor next year. The ceiling? Well...

It's funny because prior to last season most people expected us to go 8-8 and not make the playoffs. They questioned our draft and FA acquisitions. Yet we made it to the SB and had a great shot at winning it. I personally think if we improve the trenches on both sides of thr ball. We have a great shot of getting back and winning it. We have to hit it the draft again. 

There are no signs of us regressing. Matt has always been good when he has time in the pocket. Our defense is young and improving. Our run game is consistent and explosive. The only things that could derail us are injuries and adapting to the new playbook. Outside of that we have one of the most talented teams in the league. 

8 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

It's funny because prior to last season most people expected us to go 8-8 and not make the playoffs. They questioned our draft and FA acquisitions. Yet we made it to the SB and had a great shot at winning it. I personally think if we improve the trenches on both sides of thr ball. We have a great shot of getting back and winning it. We have to hit it the draft again. 

Admittedly, I was one who had us at 7-9, so yes, you never know till the games are played; however, last year has zero bearing on what's to come next year, especially in the NFL.

What I expect to see is the same team that came out after the bye last year, that had an average lead of 32-13 going into the fourth quarter in 9 straight games, including 3 playoff games, that beat Palmer, Brees, Wilson and Rodgers, I expect the offense to be just as good, the loss of KS made up by more experience in the scheme and a better OLine. I expect to see the defense be even better than those last 9 games because of another year of experience and because of another infusion of talent, esp. on the DLine.

Barring a series of injuries like in 2013, Falcons win 12 games and make a deep playoff run.

ratesforless likes this

Anything can happen - that's why they play the games.

Having said that, OP is falling into the "Atlanta Sports History" trap, which I reject.

For over 40years, the Falcons never had back to back winning seasons and that was brolen in 2008-2009 and Falcons went on to five consecutive winning seasons.

Dan Quinn, Julio Jones, Matt Ryan, Devonta Freeman, Debo, Keanu and Beasley don't care about Atlanta history.

I expect Super Bowl or bust

Atlanta wins it all next year

I think people are underestimating how young and loaded this Falcons team is...

Dallas and Atlanta are the teams to beat in the NFC...Green Bay is good, Seattle is sliding back a bit.

Carolina may be good, especially if they get Cook or Fournette at RB

ratesforless likes this

3 hours ago, QuinnTorris said:

Now, realistically speaking I think that the Falcons will not make the Super Bowl next season and probably not even the playoffs. It would be the most Atlanta thing ever for us to have a losing season after a trip to the Super Bowl and I pray that's not the case but this is the city of disappointment. We are even more cursed than Cleveland and it's truly not fair...

Bookmarking for the bump when the playoffs get here. :tiphat:

RING OF HONOR likes this