Sandy5prings

Does it still hurt?

139 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I post here to pass my free time. I post here during games. 82,000 posts in nearly 15 years of me posting here isn't really all that much.

Football isn't that important to me. Not to the point of where I get physically depressed over a loss and have to seek counseling. If I were a player, coach or GM. Then sure. But I'm not. Football is entertainment. I have no say in what happens so which should it effect me so much?

I'm honestly having a hard time reconciling how you can go off on profanity laced tirades when the team isn't playing well in the middle of a game in the regular season, and seemingly not really care too much about a historic meltdown in the biggest game in our history.

It's all good either way...just find it interesting.

nitrojiber likes this

21 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

I'm honestly having a hard time reconciling how you can go off on profanity laced tirades when the team isn't playing well in the middle of a game in the regular season, and seemingly not really care too much about a historic meltdown in the biggest game in our history.

He does care....alot. He is just hiding it, trying to convince himself it doesnt matter......trying to make himself feel better. Its a coping mechanism. As for me, I have avoided all sports media except for this forum because avoidance is my way to deal with this emotional pain...I just want it to go away...

8 minutes ago, phoenix_falcon said:

He does care....alot. He is just hiding it, trying to convince himself it doesnt matter......trying to make himself feel better. Its a coping mechanism. As for me, I have avoided all sports media except for this forum because avoidance is my way to deal with this emotional pain...I just want it to go away...

567's a good dude and a good fan, and if that's it, that's cool...we really shouldn't judge how anyone chooses to feel about it, and I'm guilty of that.

Personally, I jumped right in the next day on the internet to see what people were saying, and while it sucked, I think it helped to see that while everyone was talking about it in the couple of days after it happened, it's not really talked about that much anymore.  It does get brought up occasionally, but hey, that's gonna happen and we're gonna have to live with it, especially from rival shlt-talkers.

Every day I think about what could have been.

1st and 10 at the NE 22..if Rocky makes that 2nd pick...Julio's catch should be "the one" from SBLI...

a dream season for Matty Ice..league MVP...SBLI MVP

...watching "America's Game" in September with

DQ, Matty Ice and maybe one of our young defenders telling the story

...all the SBLI stuff I had in mind to buy from NFLSHOP.com...and there would have been a lot.

Seeing the falcons logo still makes me ill.  I havent watched sports of any kind since that game.  I really dont think i will ever be a fan of this franchise on the level i was before that game.  

That game has totally changed my desire to watch sports. I have been a fan of this team since 1980 and knowing I'll die without seeing them win a championship after being up 28-3 in the Super Bowl is gut-wrenching.

The people who just assume they will be back don't understand all of things that have to go your way just to get there. It's very difficult and you need luck. We'll never be in that position again. Not in my lifetime anyway. And I'm having a very difficult time in dealing with that. 

putnam6 likes this

6 hours ago, sur_califalconfan said:

i freak out of warein any of my falcon garb in public....people probably start to chuckle behibd my bak

The day you don't give a **** what people think about you will be a glorious day.  Promise.

7 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

That game has totally changed my desire to watch sports. I have been a fan of this team since 1980 and knowing I'll die without seeing them win a championship after being up 28-3 in the Super Bowl is gut-wrenching.

The people who just assume they will be back don't understand all of things that have to go your way just to get there. It's very difficult and you need luck. We'll never be in that position again. Not in my lifetime anyway. And I'm having a very difficult time in dealing with that. 

Then stop watching. Denounce your fandom.  You say we'll never get there in your lifetime then quit watching.  What is the point?

Falconsfan567 likes this

I can't tell people how to be a fan, but good grief some of y'all are taking this way to far.  Now for the people that went to the game and spent like $10,000 on tickets... Yeah i'd be pissed still.:lol:

Falconsfan567 likes this

22 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I don't disagree that we blew our BEST shot.

I do disagree it was our ONLY shot.

slamee101 likes this

The Super Bowl loss did hurt but I got over it within a day.  Different people deal with their sports team differently. I have been watching the Falcons since 1998 (around the time I moved to Atlanta).  I am also a Miami Dolphins fan as I have lived in Florida for a while as well. I know how it is to lose as I have seen some disappointing times with Miami (Dan Marino never winning a Super Bowl, or never going to one again after 1984) and then obviously with the Falcons the two Super Bowl losses were disappointing.  The Super Bowl LI Falcons loss hurt more just because we had it and it slipped out of their hands.  

At the end of the day I will continue to support them as a fan.  I can't consider myself a die hard fan as I have never been to a Falcons game at the Dome, but I enjoy watching and supporting this team.  They always have had some amazing playmakers. The team has been on a good run since 2008. Sure there were some seasons that were disappointing with losing records, but improvements have been made. I believe that in the face of adversity, ridicule, and strong criticism from the media, Atlanta will only get stronger from this.  I don't believe that this will be the downward spiral for the Falcons, if anything this should fuel the organization to go harder in the offseason, make the right moves that are needed to stay and be more competitive. This loss, while it was a black eye to Atlanta Falcons fans, should be a call for Falcons fans to be more supportive of this team. If we give up on them now, we will still be looked upon and categorized even more as fair weathered fans. I am proud of the Falcons no matter what and I would rather cheer for a team who has lost in the Super Bowl twice than have not competed for a title at all.  

Edited by Dtour2017
Falconsfan567 likes this

" I expected to see some ********. I expected it to be a bogus call. No,  f..ing Jake Matthews got this dude in a f...ing headlock" :lol:

2 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I hate this for you, sincerely.  Being a fan since the early 70s, I can completely understand this, especially considering the way the loss came down.   Those of us with decades of fandom behind us are all too aware that this franchise wrote the book on pooch-screwing.

But maybe, just maybe you and I will get to see that shiny hardware before we assume ambient temperature.  I believe this team is good enough.  You are right, though: lots of lucky bounces have to go your way to make it all the way.  

Gritzblitz 2.0 likes this

I'm as "over it" as I'm going to be.  Still haven't watched much sports shows.

Truth is while we'll get excited about the upcoming season, etc. it's going to hurt to some degree until we win it all.

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

" I expected to see some ********. I expected it to be a bogus call. No,  f..ing Jake Matthews got this dude in a f...ing headlock" :lol:

Who is this guy that made the vid?  Is he a message board member?  He managed to express EVERY emotion that I felt after the game.  LOL...poor guy!  The really sad thing about it all is we have to go through the whole off-season discussing who to draft...who to keep..."Troffed"...."who's a breast..." all of that...with NO RING....UGHHHHH!!!!

19 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

The one thing - the ONLY thing - that is getting me through all these conversations without punching someone is a thought I'm not actually voicing but that comes into my head with every Patriots fan I talk to.

And that thought is, "I'm a truer fan than you are."

Maybe that sounds harsh, but it's how I feel.

The majority of people I interact with up here are either bandwagon Pats fans or Pats fans only during the Tom Brady era. And through no fault of their own, these fans simply do not know what it means to stick with a team through thick and thin. To them, the question is not IF they'll make the play-offs, but how far they'll advance. A "losing" season means they didn't win the Super Bowl.

It's EASY to be a fan of that kind of team.

It's not easy to be a fan of a team where the playoffs are far from certain. It's not easy to hold your head up after that absolute meltdown and say, "I still love my team, I'm still going to root for them like a crazy person next year."

That's not easy. But it's TRUE.

Falcons fans are TRUE fans, and I just try to keep that in mind with every conversation up here.

When we finally do win it, it's going to be sweet in a way that most of the Pats fans I encounter could never possibly imagine. 

I'm actually almost ashamed to admit to feeling this way, but it is true.  That was one of the reasons Cubs fans were so lovable; their love for their team seemed so pure and unconditional.  Anybody can love a team that wins all the time - it's the hard that makes it great.

There is something else that I think that is hard to explain; sometimes particular plays, particular moments in a game, are so perfect that they give a pleasure that transcends winning and losing.  That was a large part of why I wasn't more upset by the outcome of the Super Bowl; so much of what had happened in the season and post-season prior to the end of that game had been amazing, almost perfect, really.  Julio's catch just before the debacle at the 22 yard line is an example - it was transcendent.

BCEagleATLFalcon likes this

13 hours ago, PK Manley said:

Once I vent and get it all out of my system I'm fine. I don't dwell on it weeks later. What exactly is the point of being depressed about what happened in the Super Bowl? All that would do is make me completely miserable and why should I do that when my life is flipping awesome right now?

13 hours ago, phoenix_falcon said:

I'm fine. I don't need to make myself feel better. I couldn't be happier. I'm in school and I'm close to graduating soon and earning my associates degree. Things are awesome right now.

6 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm fine. I don't need to make myself feel better. I couldn't be happier. I'm in school and I'm close to graduating soon and earning my associates degree. Things are awesome right now.

I hear ya, don't think anybody is letting it hang on them morning noon and night, but this is the place to come and talk with like minded individuals. I will say this,**** like this didn't bug me as much when I was younger either LOL there was always party going on and some pretty girl to take your mind off of it in case it did bother you. Of course as an Atlanta sports fan didn't have much perspective on losing championship games either LOL. Life is definitely good though, better than the alternative.... 

Falconsfan567 likes this

7 hours ago, conalthomas said:

There is something else that I think that is hard to explain; sometimes particular plays, particular moments in a game, are so perfect that they give a pleasure that transcends winning and losing.  That was a large part of why I wasn't more upset by the outcome of the Super Bowl; so much of what had happened in the season and post-season prior to the end of that game had been amazing, almost perfect, really.  Julio's catch just before the debacle at the 22 yard line is an example - it was transcendent.

That's a cool way to think about it.

And I do feel that way, up to a point.

There are SO many moments of this season that do transcend the Super Bowl outcome for me (in the sense that they still give me a huge smile when I think about them, and always will). Everything from the record-setting, like Julio's 300 yard day against Carolina, to the hilarious, like the Ryan and Fairley moment in New Orleans, to the momentous, like the absolute utter joy I felt when we closed the Georgia Dome with confetti raining down and a trophy put in our hands. It was my happiest moment to date as a Falcons fan.

Unfortunately, I do not get that smile on my face in the SLIGHTEST about any Super Bowl play. If I think of the laser Hooper touchdown or the Alford pick-6 or most especially Julio's catch at the 22, I just feel my stomach drop a little. 

Because all the other things prior to Houston, they were part of an incredible season, they were part of what led us to our first Super Bowl appearance while I've been a fan.  

But all the Super Bowl plays ... they're just reminders of how thoroughly we had that game in hand and I can't feel anything about them other than, "How was that not enough?!?"

SirrDooley likes this

Yeah I will never get over the loss.  Life has moved on tho, and I've accepted it. We will be made fun of this WHOLE year. For a moment in time I was counting down to being able to say we won and celebrate and the fact that we lost I was in such disbelief but as an Atlanta sports fan there isn't anyone else better equipped to deal with this melt down. Idk if we will ever win one but I hope so. I have a Superbowl Jersey and I don't think I will ever put it on. There are far more important things in life that would be harder to over come than this. 

I never felt bad about the loss,whilst everyone was hooting and hollering and,acting like idiots on social media...I was patiently,happily watching the game with my folks,waiting....for the other shoe to drop. I have been a fan  of the falcons for 30+ years. They can't hurt me anymore.

Edited by Minitaur