Unkn0wn

Basketball Thread

297 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Ethanga62890 said:

X3TeVee.gif

Enjoy your team winning; they earned it.

(1) no tears here for a team, just for basketball overall.  it was simply me expressing my basic thoughts on what I had observed in multiple games prior to the final game v. Gonzaga. The final was simply a continuance of an established trend. (2) I have no bias either way on the outcome/who won; the observation is as a fan of well played, well coached, well officiated basketball, all of which are in short supply these days.

UNC has their game, it works for them; they play in such a way, with the depth to sustain it, that it is very difficult for officials to keep the game from going down that path as a game goes on. My opinion is that UNC should win with the depth of talent they have, but they are so reliant on that depth of size and athleticism that instead of winning going away by playing better and being better coached, they instead win playing at a level beneath them, because they can simply get away with it. I see that all over in basketball, it's not just a UNC thing.

I will definitely agree that the game was horribly officiated. I thought you were going down the route of it being fixed. My bad. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

the quality of basketball in college is not what it should be and that is a big reason people are losing an interest in college basketball.  

+1

I've been saying that since the late 90s.

The one-and-done rule is ridiculous. It doesn't apply to foreign players and the top ten projected picks in this year's draft are all freshmen, so it's equally hypocritical. 

The most amazing stat from last night's game is Carolina committing only four turnovers. That's remarkable.

Ethanga62890 likes this

On 4/4/2017 at 1:58 PM, JayOzOne said:

The one-and-done rule is ridiculous. It doesn't apply to foreign players and the top ten projected picks in this year's draft are all freshmen, so it's equally hypocritical. 

The most amazing stat from last night's game is Carolina committing only four turnovers. That's remarkable.

Side note I'm trolling so hard when nothing gets vacated from men's bb

JayOzOne likes this

Wichita State has officially joined the American Conference. They will be an active member in every sport but football for the 2017 season. Navy is a football only member so that balances out nicely for the American.

On 4/7/2017 at 0:12 PM, Unkn0wn said:

Wichita State has officially joined the American Conference. They will be an active member in every sport but football for the 2017 season. Navy is a football only member so that balances out nicely for the American.

That's great for WSU. Definitely gives their schedule more credibility right off the bat. AAC is gonna be very good.

Maryland's president said he "would think" UNC gets the death penalty. We all know that's not happening though. 

“One of them is an athletic scandal. It blows up, it blows up the university, its reputation, it blows up the president," Loh said, according to the report.

“For the things that happened in North Carolina, it’s abysmal. I would think that this would lead to the implementation of the death penalty by the NCAA. But I’m not in charge of that.”

SacFalcFan likes this

6 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Maryland's president said he "would think" UNC gets the death penalty. We all know that's not happening though. 

“One of them is an athletic scandal. It blows up, it blows up the university, its reputation, it blows up the president," Loh said, according to the report.

“For the things that happened in North Carolina, it’s abysmal. I would think that this would lead to the implementation of the death penalty by the NCAA. But I’m not in charge of that.”

How is this news? We've been hearing this for years now.

Well it was on ESPN today so I would say that would make it newsworthy for here. 

A bill has been proposed in North Carolina that would require UNC and NC State to leave the ACC if the league boycotts the state again.

46 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

A bill has been proposed in North Carolina that would require UNC and NC State to leave the ACC if the league boycotts the state again.

Political posturing

18 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I wonder why Wake Forest and Duke weren't mentioned in that proposed law?

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I wonder why Wake Forest and Duke weren't mentioned in that proposed law?

I think it's because they're both private schools unlike UNC and NC State.

Ethanga62890 likes this

21 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Ah. Makes sense now.

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

either way won't happen. so stupid to even propose it. UNC would jump to the SEC in a heartbeat

11 hours ago, Ethanga62890 said:

either way won't happen. so stupid to even propose it. UNC would jump to the SEC in a heartbeat

Beyond the practicalities of could/would it happen, how would legislative action like this affect the grant of rights decision that the schools agreed to with the ACC? If they can't back out of those, no conference would likely touch them... they essentially are radioactive without them.

Ethanga62890 and JayOzOne like this

8 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Beyond the practicalities of could/would it happen, how would legislative action like this affect the grant of rights decision that the schools agreed to with the ACC? If they can't back out of those, no conference would likely touch them... they essentially are radioactive without them.

Good question. I don't know honestly

On 4/14/2017 at 9:13 AM, fibonaccisquared said:

After Maryland left, didn't the ACC also make it a lot more expensive to withdraw membership? I thought it was something like $50 million for teams to leave.Losing the right to earn money from televised games along with an onerous fee to leave the conference are more than enough to prove these legislators need to focus on actual ways to make their state work. They know the governor wouldn't sign it anyway.