gazoo

Ryan played better in 2016 Playoffs than Tom Brady has ever played in playoffs

448 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, NickMessina said:
I guess based on that playoff passer rating leaderboard you're claiming that Matt Ryan is better than Joe Montana, Tom Brady and I'm Peyton Manning, right? While you're at it I guess you want to argue that Mark Sanchez is a better playoff QB than peyton Manning, Steve Young and Warren Moon, since he's got a better playoff QB rating than them, right?  Have you ever heard of a SAMPLE SIZE? 

Get over yourself. You keep repeating yourself over and over how wins are a TEAM STAT. I think we got your point the first 20 times you made it. I don't know how many times you can repeat the same thing over and over again. Were you dropped on your head as an infant?

Wake up you fool. Even passing is a TEAM STAT. Does Matt Ryan pass to himself? Does he also block the defense? Does he call all the plays? Which team had more pro bowlers on their roster besides the QB? The Patriots or Falcons? Which QB makes no name recievers into superstars, who then disappear when they go to other teams? You're so dense it's laughable. 

Then you guys go on about injuries. Ever hear of Gronkowski? 

Here's your problem: Matt Ryan is 31, Tom Brady is just shy of 40. You're seriously trying to make up for your team's epic superbowl failure by arguing Matt Ryan in his prime had a better game than a 40 year old? What's your point?

I wonder if Matt Ryan will be playing as well as Brady is when he is 39 or 40. I wonder if he'll even be in the playoffs at that age, nevermind attending his 7th superbowl as a starting QB. Doubtful. My guess: He's retired with no rings and remembered only as the biggest choker in SB history.

Players commented that Brady's leadership is a big part of what brought them back into the game and allowed them to capitalize on the Falcons mistakes, including Matt Ryan's HUGE fumble, which will go down in history with Tony Romo's botched snap. 

Want to talk stats? Here's Brady's records:

PLAYOFFS

Most games played: 34
Most games started by a quarterback: 34
Most games won by a starting quarterback: 25
Most consecutive wins, playoffs, by a starting quarterback: 10 
Most consecutive wins to start a career, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 10
Most career home wins, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 15 
Most consecutive home wins, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 8, tied with Jim Kelly
Most touchdown passes: 63
Most passing yards: 9,094
Most passes completed: 831
Most passes attempted: 1,325
Most division titles won by a starting quarterback: 14
Most NFL conference championship appearances by a starting quarterback: 11
Most NFL conference championship wins by a starting quarterback: 7
Most career 300+ passing yard games, post-season: 11

SUPERBOWL

Most Games: 7
Most Passes, Career: 309
Most Passes, Game: 62
Most Completions, Career: 207
Most Passing Yards, Career: 2071
Most Passing Yards, Game: 466
Most Touchdown Passes, Career: 15
Most wins as starting QB: 5 
Most passes completed in a single Super Bowl: 43 (LI) 

One more thing: Keep pretending like QB's aren't the most important factor in a team winning and then tell me how many teams without an elite QB have made it to multiple superbowls in the modern era. Then ask the Jets what's it's like not having an elite QB. 

He threw 62 times, buddy. I'd hope that he could set the yards record and number of completion records, considering how many times he threw the ball.

gazoo likes this

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, Jetsfan25678 said:

Yes. You must be a participant in "The Jets Suck" threads at patsfans.com. I hope they keep it up when the Jets drought is ended..

The Jets do suck, no thread needed to prove that fact.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, MrCasual said:

I already admitted we were caught cheating, and if you believe the patriots placed shame on the league for cheating then that is laughable. Why don't you do just a quick search on how many fines were issued for instances of cheating over the year's in the NFL.

Cheating is apart of NFL history like the steroid scandals in baseball. The patriots are not the first nor the last team to cheat in the NFL.

Not one instance of cheating from any team (to my knowledge) has affected the totality of the season. The teams that win the Superbowl earned that right.

That's such a great point, can you imagine how out of out of control delusional Jet fans would be if the Pats had been caught pumping crowd noise into the stadium like the Falcons were caught doing? "Stadium Gate!!!!" Call your congressmen!!!! Start a class action lawsuit!!!!! Jet fans are by far the most pathetic and uneducated fans in the NFL. Only a jet fan can watch their team win 5 games a year and talk like they are perennial contenders.  

26 minutes ago, Godsmith said:

That's such a great point, can you imagine how out of out of control delusional Jet fans would be if the Pats had been caught pumping crowd noise into the stadium like the Falcons were caught doing? "Stadium Gate!!!!" Call your congressmen!!!! Start a class action lawsuit!!!!! Jet fans are by far the most pathetic and uneducated fans in the NFL. Only a jet fan can watch their team win 5 games a year and talk like they are perennial contenders.  

What's pathetic is jets + pats fans arguing on Falcons chat-board in offseason ....both you dudes need to get a life.

Falconsfan567 likes this

45 minutes ago, Vandy said:

What's pathetic is jets + pats fans arguing on Falcons chat-board in offseason ....both you dudes need to get a life.

Granted, but at least I was here for a legitimate reason to talk about the Super Bowl and aftermath. What a jealous Jet fan, who's team hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl in almost 50 years is doing here except to try and cast shade on the Pats Super Bowl win, well that's just pathetic.

Just now, Godsmith said:

Granted, but at least I was here for a legitimate reason to talk about the Super Bowl and aftermath. What a jealous Jet fan, who's team hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl in almost 50 years is doing here except to try and cast shade on the Pats Super Bowl win, well that's just pathetic.

Yes, I didn't come to this board to discuss the superbowl, nor did I come to make a statement on Brady's playoff performance in a thread that in part was made to discuss his performance! Sagacious is not a word I'd use to describe you.

22 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

As well as  Ryan my played, he contributed to the Super Bowl loss. The stats don't reflect failing to throw the ball away before getting sacked, or worse ignoring the clock and hiking the ball with over 20 seconds on the clock per play. There is no reason why Ryan should have rushed the offense the way he did, or could have audibled and had the offense run the ball. So I am not saying that Ryan is bad, but those little details is what separates him from elite QBs.

And Tom Brady threw a pick six. His team still overcame that. If the falcons win, no one cares he took a sack. How do we know Kyle wasn't telling him to hurry up because they were trying to score?

1 hour ago, jay1k2 said:

And Tom Brady threw a pick six. His team still overcame that. If the falcons win, no one cares he took a sack. How do we know Kyle wasn't telling him to hurry up because they were trying to score?

If Kyle was telling him to hurry up Kyle is an idiot, but still Ryan can audible and take his time anyway. What the **** is Kyle going to pull him for not listening, especially when KS is leaving the team anyway? Ryan should have allowed the clock to run down and/or called an audible rather than just doing what he was told. There is no excuse for that.

Also Brady overcame the score because he when the Falcons were winning, the Patriots were dominating time of possession. When Ryan finally got on the field in the 3rd quarter, it was an hour since the offense had been on the field. So not only was the playing calling ******** for loss of yards, but it extremely limited the time the D had a chance to breathe and and gave more time to the opposing offense to come back and score. That awesome catch that Julio made was actually not so great when you think about it. Since he caught it and went out of bounds, plays like that stopped the clock. It wasn't just on that play, but most of the plays when passing, the WRs were catching passes near the sideline. The Falcons basically gave the Patriots the win. Everything that a team is not supposed to do when winning is exactly what the Falcons did.

Edited by Intellectually Honest

Wow, we have enough rodeo clown trolls on this thread to fill up a short bus headed for the insane asylum.  

They're chewing up new alts like they were M&M's.

Derp derp derp... 

Hey Gazoo what happened?

Vandy and gazoo like this

3 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Wow, we have enough rodeo clown trolls on this thread to fill up a short bus headed for the insane asylum.  

They're chewing up new alts like they were M&M's.

Derp derp derp... 

Hey Gazoo what happened?

Lol, I am not sure my brother. Certainly been interesting to log on every night and see this thread bumped up to the top.

Hey, at leas everyone knows Matt Ryan played better in the playoffs this year than Tom Brady ever played in the playoffs! :lol:

HASHBROWN3 and Vandy like this

6 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

If Kyle was telling him to hurry up Kyle is an idiot, but still Ryan can audible and take his time anyway. What the **** is Kyle going to pull him for not listening, especially when KS is leaving the team anyway? Ryan should have allowed the clock to run down and/or called an audible rather than just doing what he was told. There is no excuse for that.

Also Brady overcame the score because he when the Falcons were winning, the Patriots were dominating time of possession. When Ryan finally got on the field in the 3rd quarter, it was an hour since the offense had been on the field. So not only was the playing calling ******** for loss of yards, but it extremely limited the time the D had a chance to breathe and and gave more time to the opposing offense to come back and score. That awesome catch that Julio made was actually not so great when you think about it. Since he caught it and went out of bounds, plays like that stopped the clock. It wasn't just on that play, but most of the plays when passing, the WRs were catching passes near the sideline. The Falcons basically gave the Patriots the win. Everything that a team is not supposed to do when winning is exactly what the Falcons did.

I'll agree that the playcalling was insane for a team up.  I think the Falcons knew one more score would put it away (which it would have) and focused on that aspect instead of the other thing that would have put it away which is clock.

I think the Ryan sack thing is overblown though.  Most of those sacks are on 3rd down.  You don't want your QB throwing the ball away on 3rd down.  You want him standing in there, waiting for an opportunity to convert.  What I WOULD have liked to see were more short patterns, and backs in patterns so we could move the chains.

The only bad sack was the one with 4:00, and the DT uncovered off Mack unexpectedly at the end.  I don't think this was Ryan's best game, but one Freeman block and the subsequent 40 yard pass, and his game is probably being described as one of the best Super Bowl games ever (150 passer rating, 300 yards, 3 TDs, 9+ypa).  The big factors on offense were playcalling and our tackles just getting mercilessly whipped (and the playcalling not reflecting that.) 

On 2/13/2017 at 6:24 AM, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

While I think you're fighting a losing battle here (trolls gonna troll), I am 100% on your side.

Go all the way back to the Texans/Pats game.

If Matt Ryan had played the game Tom Brady did in our divisional round, he would have been LIT UP even with the win. So don't give me this "win or loss" is all that matters BS.

Matt played a nearly flawless post-season. I don't blame him for either sack - "get rid of it" is very easy to say. But the missed block meant Hightower was on him before any human could possibly react ... and if you look at the coaches' film, there was literally nowhere for him to go with the ball down at the 22. If you throw it away, there's a good chance it was intentional grounding and if you try to force something ... my God, can you even imagine the evisceration if he'd thrown a pick there?

I will never forgive Shanahan for costing Matt what should have been a career-defining post-season - one that would have firmly cemented him as the guy we fans know he is. Run 3 times, kick the field goal, and all we're talking about is one of the finest post-season performances in history and one of the finest passes/catches in Super Bowl history from Ryan to Jones.

Alas.

Great Post BC I've been trying to sidestep anything to do with this Heart breaking SB loss.Its not working when I hear analysts on NFL.com continually saying the Falcons were bigger stronger Faster and better than there opponents and we lost it makes it harder for sure.

Ive always been pretty confident in Ryan and he showed last year outside of the final result that he is well and truely cemented his self in that upper echelon at his position.I think that's all that matters to him having the respect of his peers,all the rest is just noise.

gazoo, BCEagleATLFalcon and Vandy like this

18 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Great Post BC I've been trying to sidestep anything to do with this Heart breaking SB loss.Its not working when I hear analysts on NFL.com continually saying the Falcons were bigger stronger Faster and better than there opponents and we lost it makes it harder for sure.

Ive always been pretty confident in Ryan and he showed last year outside of the final result that he is well and truely cemented his self in that upper echelon at his position.I think that's all that matters to him having the respect of his peers,all the rest is just noise.

I hear you, but of course we both know 'analysts' are full of sh!t. Pats dominated Falcons in just about every single aspect 2nd half of game, so not so sure we were "bigger, faster, stronger"....we just failed miserably to protect a big lead, which first and foremost comes back to the coaching staff. 

Edited by Vandy
Falconsin2012 likes this

On 2/23/2017 at 3:22 PM, Godsmith said:

Oh brother....,Do you hear yourself?

Edited by Vandy

17 hours ago, Jetsfan25678 said:

Yes, I didn't come to this board to discuss the superbowl, nor did I come to make a statement on Brady's playoff performance in a thread that in part was made to discuss his performance! Sagacious is not a word I'd use to describe you.

See above....get a life. 

5 hours ago, ATLTWENTYFIVE said:

If we stop putting up idiotic posts they will go away.  Now we have Jets fans defending us it can't go any lower...are the Browns lurking in here too?

Actually, I don't think there is much lower than a Jet fan, maybe an Eagle fan? The bottom line is that it really is a useless debate, in the end all games are 60 minutes, not 45. Ryan had his chances to close the deal and failed, Brady did what he almost always does when the game is o the line, he steps up in the biggest moments and most critical situations. That's just the facts, anything else is just noise that guys like gazoo use to make themselves feel better.

1 hour ago, Godsmith said:

Actually, I don't think there is much lower than a Jet fan, maybe an Eagle fan? The bottom line is that it really is a useless debate, in the end all games are 60 minutes, not 45. Ryan had his chances to close the deal and failed, Brady did what he almost always does when the game is o the line, he steps up in the biggest moments and most critical situations. That's just the facts, anything else is just noise that guys like gazoo use to make themselves feel better.

I agree with everything you said, except the Eagle fan crack. 

Godsmith likes this

You are 100% correct my friend!  Matt Ryan is the real deal and tough as they come!  He has taken a pounding through the years and always got up fired up and all the more determined!  Matt Ryan is a beast!

On 2/23/2017 at 11:48 PM, takeitdown said:

I'll agree that the playcalling was insane for a team up.  I think the Falcons knew one more score would put it away (which it would have) and focused on that aspect instead of the other thing that would have put it away which is clock.

I think the Ryan sack thing is overblown though.  Most of those sacks are on 3rd down.  You don't want your QB throwing the ball away on 3rd down.  You want him standing in there, waiting for an opportunity to convert.  What I WOULD have liked to see were more short patterns, and backs in patterns so we could move the chains.

The only bad sack was the one with 4:00, and the DT uncovered off Mack unexpectedly at the end.  I don't think this was Ryan's best game, but one Freeman block and the subsequent 40 yard pass, and his game is probably being described as one of the best Super Bowl games ever (150 passer rating, 300 yards, 3 TDs, 9+ypa).  The big factors on offense were playcalling and our tackles just getting mercilessly whipped (and the playcalling not reflecting that.) 

It wasn't just the sack. It was the 7 step drop which was part of the play. FFS He knew that they were blitzing. That means he has got to get the ball out quick. He also know his offensive line was hurt, which means that is even more essential to get the ball out and not drop back so far. He could have called a dink and dunk play to a half back, a shuffle pass, or a draw or simply thrown the ball away fast. So not only was it stupid to hike the ball with some much of the clock still left, but having a seven step drop, refusing to audible, and just tucking it in and losing so many yards on 1 play is insane. If anything being a smart QB is supposed to be MRs strength. Was he just following orders or did he have the power to change the play and just went full r etard?

Edited by Intellectually Honest

22 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

If anything being a smart QB is supposed to be MRs strength. Was he just following orders or did he have the power to change the play and just went full r etard?

Well that's the thing.  Being smart is his thing.  And the playcalling was clearly suboptimal in the 2nd half.  So I lean toward it being a bad playcall.  Even so, on that 4:00 one, the play was blocked up (hat on a hat), the guy just blew by Mack.  And that's sort of the problem.  You check out of a play when you see you can't get a hat on a hat.  On both the strip sack, and the 4:00 sack, the Falcons had it blocked up with a hat on a hat.  Freeman and Mack simply failed.

As a QB, you can't go into the play just assuming your blockers aren't going to block, or you'd never succeed.  So if he checks that the play called is sufficiently blocked, then he should proceed.

Now, the playcalls weren't good or bright there, but that's why I'd lay that at the feet of the OC, not the QB.  If there were free blitzers coming and getting the sacks, then that's on the QB.

I've read this whole thread and added a couple of posts myself.  Here's what I think:

Matt Ryan had a great season and, if he stays healthy and has an OC who understands and plays to his strengths, he should put up another three to six high level seasons.

Tom Brady lost two Super Bowl games.  We can say three things about those games.  

One, Brady gave his team the lead with less than four minutes to play in each.  

Two, Brady only led his team to an average of 15.5 points in those two games.  

Three, Brady was outplayed by Eli Manning in both of those games because, whether there was a lucky break or not, whether calls went in his favor or not, Eli somehow enabled his team to WIN those games.  At the end of the day, that's all that matters.  Eli Manning beat Tom Brady twice on the biggest stage imaginable.  For that, he will go to the HOF, even if he never plays another game.

There's no way anyone can say that a QB who had a 25 point lead at 6:29 of the Third Quarter and then didn't engineer a single point in the last 23 minutes and 31 seconds of Regulation played "better" than the QB who led his team to 25 straight points in the remainder of Regulation and six more points in Overtime.  You can cite all the bad coaching calls and lucky breaks you want, but you just can't say he "played better."  You can say he put up a better QBR, but that's about it.  You're just embarrassing yourselves to say anything else.

Super Bowl victories are fragile things.  There was an extensive article in the New York Times (the city where I live) that showed how close Brady and the Pats were to going both 0--7 as well as 7--0 in the seven Super Bowls in which they have contended in the Brady-Belichick era.  You guys are 0--2.  Any reasonable observer would say that you could be 1--1.

Edited by NYCFan
clarity
poutlipper likes this

It is so ridiculous how some fans emotionally ascribe a win or a loss during a game to the QB.

Some here think a QB  on the losing team can't play better than a QB on he winning team.

Its stupid, silly, emotional and illogical. Its a fraudulent premise we see from foolish emotional fans that don't understand wins and losses are a function of the entire teams play collectively over the course of over 100 snaps.

According to some, if Alford makes the interception late in game where Brady threw ball into his hands that would have meant Ryan played better than Brady, but since Alford bobbled it that means Brady played better. (A pick would have meant game over and Falcons win)

in other words, Matt Ryan's play over 50 snaps was betwe or worse than Brady's based on Alford making or dropping interception. 

There were over 100 snaps in that game on offense and defense. Ryan was on field for less than half of them.

Jetsfan25678 likes this