Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ket222

Wilbon’s condescension still gets me – no respect

25 posts in this topic

Generally, I really like Wilbon and Korn.  (The p.c. attitude really irks me with ESPN generally, but what else am I going to watch while working out?).  I didn’t even mind their lack of respect before the super bowl, although they seemed ignorant that this simply wasn’t a typical falcons team.  What gets me is that Wilbon showed absolutely no respect for what we did to the Patriots for ¾ of the game—especially our defense making 5 sacks, a pick 6, etc. 

They just had the attitude of “of course the falcons were going to lose,” when in fact ANY OTHER COACH would have run out the clock and scored a field goal to win it.  The falcons didn’t lose, our coaches did (and Quin should have overruled arrogant Kyle).  They put the team in an impossible position. I respect that only the Patriots could have come back from being so far behind—hats off to them. 

Wilbon flippantly said ‘oh the falcons just played well for a couple of weeks’ and basically that they were never good to begin with (no matter that we demolished two elite teams).  He should have said we were stupid in the way we lost it, but shown respect for standing toe to toe with the Patriots. 

I know this comes a week late, but I just had to get this off my chest.  Is there any way one of you can write to Wilbon and give him a similar message, a kind of “open letter from Atlanta fans”?

" ANY OTHER COACH would have run out the clock and scored a field goal to win it.  "

maybe but fact is it was the Falcons coach that decided not to do it.  falcons will still falcon

Edited by BLM

Well most other coaches would had did exactly what he said .... good news is his team the "the bears" will not be in that position for a long time .... 

the point is, no other falcons team of the past could have basically beaten the mighty patriots before the Great Stupidity.  The 'old falcons' folded and played terribly in the last super bowl years ago, went to jail for dog fighting, played mediocre for decades before blank came.  this is a different team, the result was NOT inevitable and the attitude and capabilities are MUCH better than before.  We're basically an elite team now.  That should be respected

vitaman and BIRDLAND 2.0 like this

14 minutes ago, ket222 said:

Wilbon flippantly said ‘oh the falcons just played well for a couple of weeks’ and basically that they were never good to begin with (no matter that we demolished two elite teams). 

Honestly, no one (including Falcon fans) thought the Falcons were a legit Super Bowl team until after the first playoff game, and then it was more of a "maybe they can...." kind of hope. Then, after Green Bay, it looked like they would win it all. So, Wilbon is right, they played good for a couple of weeks. What's wrong with him saying that? 

18 minutes ago, ket222 said:

Generally, I really like Wilbon and Korn.  (The p.c. attitude really irks me with ESPN generally, but what else am I going to watch while working out?).  I didn’t even mind their lack of respect before the super bowl, although they seemed ignorant that this simply wasn’t a typical falcons team.  What gets me is that Wilbon showed absolutely no respect for what we did to the Patriots for ¾ of the game—especially our defense making 5 sacks, a pick 6, etc. 

They just had the attitude of “of course the falcons were going to lose,” when in fact ANY OTHER COACH would have run out the clock and scored a field goal to win it.  The falcons didn’t lose, our coaches did (and Quin should have overruled arrogant Kyle).  They put the team in an impossible position. I respect that only the Patriots could have come back from being so far behind—hats off to them. 

Wilbon flippantly said ‘oh the falcons just played well for a couple of weeks’ and basically that they were never good to begin with (no matter that we demolished two elite teams).  He should have said we were stupid in the way we lost it, but shown respect for standing toe to toe with the Patriots. 

I know this comes a week late, but I just had to get this off my chest.  Is there any way one of you can write to Wilbon and give him a similar message, a kind of “open letter from Atlanta fans”?

He also said a day or two after the SB that Matt 'stole' the MVP from Brady. They both were major trolling us the day I heard it. 

32 minutes ago, ket222 said:

2 words: him & ****

Bart2Ryan+beyond likes this

Here's the deal; all people create narratives to explain the world around them.  The problem comes when people continue to stick to narratives despite clear, objective evidence to the contrary.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that an awful lot of what is wrong with the world comes from people clinging to narratives that are just wrong or don't work.  It is my experience that it is some sports people who are the most deeply stupid (or stubborn) when it comes to this sort of thing.  Not coaches, not players, they live in the real world, and if something doesn't work, they get fired, but pundits and commentators and writers can exist in a world of narratives and stories, and they are free to indulge in opinions that are divorced from reality.  (They get to claim "alternative facts".)  

I guarantee you that coaches are looking at what the Falcons did, and are already thinking about how they are going to use it, or deal with it.  But, sure, some guy somewhere can sit around and say anything he wants, and the narrative that the Falcons used to suck, still suck, and always will suck is one of those careless, stupid things that people say.  Teams suck until they don't anymore.  The Patriots used to suck.  The 49ers used to suck (and maybe they do again).  The Falcons used to suck; they don't any more.

Bart2Ryan+beyond and vitaman like this

41 minutes ago, ket222 said:

People like him don't care what any of us have to say. The only way to "make believers" out of them is winning. We didn't do that, so honestly, you're gonna have a hard time gaining the sympathies of people like Wilbon and even other Falcons fans. We lost man, in the most embarrassing way ever. That will always be a fact. You coming here demanding respect from analysts is honestly doing nothing but rekindling bad emotions associated with that game.

50 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Weeks before the Super Bowl I repeatedly tweeted my art to Wilbon...and many of my followers did too.

IdiotWilbon.jpg

Man, your artistic skills have always blown me away.  I was hoping to ask if you would draw a Superbowl tat for me.:(

GhostofGritz likes this

I didn't watch a single pregame show, snipet, video or what have you on the day of the game. I don't need to, I keep up with my team enough without watching the idiots on tv to know what's going on. ****, I keep up with football and sports in general to know enough about what's going on with pretty much everyone and every team that I don't have to watch the idiots on tv. The reason they say the things they do is to have folks talk about them and their opinion and look what we're doing. I have my own opinion and I don't need to watch their shows to get a different one. I know I'm going to either disagree with them or hear them say something I already know. I have the espn app on my phone and that's the ONLY thing I will give espn. I don't watch the network unless the Falcons, Braves or Hawks are playing.

NCFalconfan likes this

22 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Man, your artistic skills have always blown me away.  I was hoping to ask if you would draw a Superbowl tat for me.:(

Here's the deal. When the Falcons do win it all I'll design whatever you want, no charge...because I'm getting inked after they hoist the Lombardi too.

1 hour ago, ket222 said:

the point is, no other falcons team of the past could have basically beaten the mighty patriots before the Great Stupidity.  The 'old falcons' folded and played terribly in the last super bowl years ago, went to jail for dog fighting, played mediocre for decades before blank came.  this is a different team, the result was NOT inevitable and the attitude and capabilities are MUCH better than before.  We're basically an elite team now.  That should be respected

Brother, I'm gonna just go ahead and tell you now you may as well stop watching:

-Wilbon/PTI

-Heath Evans

-Lombardi

-Skip Bayless

and a few others for the next 365 when they start talking about our Falcons.  Unfortunately we managed to lose it more than the Pats managed to win it but none of that matters to these national guys.  That's going to be really annoying because they're going to feel validated with their, "We told you the Falcons weren't blah blah blah blah!"

Of course it's inaccurate but when has that ever stopped these blowhards.  You might as well just tune 'em out if you're looking for them to truly recognize and throw some bouquets about a "small market" team that still hasn't won it.

I use to watch ATH and PTI for years. DVR still records it. I've given them up though. Best thing I could have ever done. Won't watch NFL Network anymore either outside of A Football Life if it interest me. I'm done with these shows and channels in general. ATH isn't as bad as the others, but I'm just done with it all. No need to watch channels/shows that doesn't care for us one bit.

GhostofGritz likes this

First off jokes on you for watching ESPN. Second, we don't deserve any respect after the way we went out. Who blows a 25 point lead with about a quarter and a half left? It was a historic choke job mabey the biggest of all time. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/10/before-super-bowl-li-teams-won-99-8-of-games-they-led-by-25/

Anytime people start giving the Falcons any respect they tend to let you down so I don't blame the media for the lack of respect they've given us over the year. It's up to us to earn it. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

2 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

First off jokes on you for watching ESPN. Second, we don't deserve any respect after the way we went out. Who blows a 25 point lead with about a quarter and a half left? It was a historic choke job mabey the biggest of all time. Anytime people start giving the Falcons any respect they tend to let you down so I don't blame the media for the lack of respect they've given us over the year. It's up to us to earn it. 

I don't really care that much. I don't watch ATH, PTI, anything Bayless or Cowherd are on.

I just like that I have a skill that can openly mock them the way they mock everything related to Atlanta.

Bobby.Digital likes this

5 minutes ago, Waterjabbers said:

As a fan base can we just move on from the whole "no respect" stuff.  We just lost the Superbowl in historic fashion.  Why in the world would we expect respect after that?

That's true. But I really don't care about respect from anyone regarding the Falcons. I have a singular goal and or desire. That's for my team to win it all. I won't even care about the roses and compliments they'll all be throwing at the Falcons after they do win it all. Just as meaningless to me as the other stuff.

My grandfather told me "You don't want everyone liking you. That means you aren't standing for anything in your life."

12 minutes ago, Waterjabbers said:

As a fan base can we just move on from the whole "no respect" stuff.  We just lost the Superbowl in historic fashion.  Why in the world would we expect respect after that?

Yeah, that ship has sailed and no need in looking for it to circle back any time soon

GhostofGritz likes this

I stopped worrying about what others had to say about a team I like a while ago. It doesn't matter. Most franchises are not successful, championship wise, outside of a few moments of glory. And every team has had colossal failures. The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead to the Red Sox and the Patriots lost their perfect season by scoring only 14 points in the Super Bowl.

GhostofGritz likes this