Unkn0wn

Braves Spring Training

401 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Who knew Braves still having closer problems.

Johnson's fine. Vizcaino's fine. Cabrera, Ramirez, and possibly Paco Rodriguez if healthy could also be high-leverage relievers. The bullpen should actually be a strength of the team this season, and that's before A.J. Minter joins it.

Whoever has the "closer" title is largely irrelevant except to fantasy baseball players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, K26dp said:

July 7, 2015 through June 30, 2016, 57 games, 1.63 ERA/2.24 FIP, 11.06 strikeouts per 9 innings. Sniker overuses him in June, he breaks down in July. If he's healthy, Vizcaino is just better.

He wasn't walking people. That's why he was better. If Vizcaino is throwing strikes and not walking people he is better. But he's going to have to earn my trust back that he's not gonna be walking people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Johnson's fine. Vizcaino's fine. Cabrera, Ramirez, and possibly Paco Rodriguez if healthy could also be high-leverage relievers. The bullpen should actually be a strength of the team this season, and that's before A.J. Minter joins it.

Whoever has the "closer" title is largely irrelevant except to fantasy baseball players.

Absolutely. Bullpen should be very good this year.

Any idea why we let Jed Bradley get away? I haven't heard any explanation about the logistics behind that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I didn't know the Braves had closer issues? Johnson was solid as closer last year. He was 20 of 23 in save chances last year.

Yet, Braves still don't know who they want as closer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Yet, Braves still don't know who they want as closer.

Snitker just named Johnson closer yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Absolutely. Bullpen should be very good this year.

Any idea why we let Jed Bradley get away? I haven't heard any explanation about the logistics behind that.

Same reason they released Chris Withrow, they needed the 40-man roster spot and didn't think he'd be in the mix. They released prospect Steve Janas this week too for essentially the same reason, except Janas wasn't on the 40-man.

This is probably a good time to plug that I wrote about all the upper-level bullpen guys over on Outfield Fly Rule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Snitker just named Johnson closer yesterday. 

Who knows how long that will stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, K26dp said:

Same reason they released Chris Withrow, they needed the 40-man roster spot and didn't think he'd be in the mix. They released prospect Steve Janas this week too for essentially the same reason, except Janas wasn't on the 40-man.

This is probably a good time to plug that I wrote about all the upper-level bullpen guys over on Outfield Fly Rule

I read your piece and good info. But no mention of Jesse Biddle? What's the deal with him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I read your piece and good info. But no mention of Jesse Biddle? What's the deal with him?

I have no clue where he's going to start the season, so I threw a dart and it landed in AA. So he'll be in Part 2. I also wrote about Biddle with the starting pitchers

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I have no clue where he's going to start the season, so I threw a dart and it landed in AA. So he'll be in Part 2. I also wrote about Biddle with the starting pitchers

Alright, cool. I was looking at his minors numbers and I know he's had injury issues but his numbers don't look all that great. Why are the Braves using a 40-man spot on him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braves Spring Roster

  • IF - 2 - Micah Johnson
  • IF - 4 - Brandon Phillips
  • IF - 5 - Freddie Freeman
  • IF - 7 - Dansby Swanson
  • IF - 8 - Jace Peterson
  • OF - 11 - Ender Inciarte
  • IF - 13 - Adonis Garcia
  • IF - 14 - Rio Ruiz
  • IF - 15 - Sean Rodriguez
  • C - 18 - Blake Lalli
  • P - 19 - R.A. Dickey
  • C - 20 - Anthony Recker
  • OF - 22 Nick Markakis
  • IF - 23 - Chase d'Arnaud
  • C - 24 - Kurt Suzuki
  • C - 25 - Tyler Flowers
  • P - 26 - Mike Foltynewicz
  • OF - 27 - Matt Kemp
  • P - 30 - Rhiner Cruz
  • P - 34 - Eric O'Flaherty
  • P - 36 - Aaron Blair
  • P - 38 - Arodys Vizcaino
  • P - 39 - Sam Freeman
  • P - 40 - Bartolo Colon
  • P - 45 - Matt Wisler
  • P - 46 - Ian Krol
  • P - 48 - Blaine Boyer
  • P - 49 - Julio Teheran
  • P - 50 - John Danks
  • P - 51 - Chaz Roe
  • P - 52 - Jose Ramirez
  • P - 53 - Jim Johnson
  • P - 54 - Jaime Garcia
  • P - 55 - Josh Collmenter
  • P - 56 - Mauricio Cabrera
  • P - 58 - Daniel Winkler
  • P - 60 - Joel De La Cruz
  • P - 61 - Jason Hursh
  • P - 62 - Akeel Morris
  • P - 63 - Jesse Biddle
  • OF - 64 - Emilio Bonifacio
  • P - 65 - Lucas Sims
  • P - 66 - Max Fried
  • IF - 67 - Johan Camargo
  • P - 68 - Jacob Lindgren
  • P - 69 - Armando Rivero
  • P - 70 - Luke Jackson
  • P - 71 - Adam Kolarek
  • C - 72 - David Freitas
  • C - 73 - Braeden Schlehuber
  • IF - 74 - Ozzie Albies
  • P - 75 - Paco Rodriguez
  • P - 76 - Sean Newcomb
  • C - 77 - Joe Odom
  • P - 78 - A.J. Minter
  • P - 79 - Patrick Weigel
  • C - 80 - Kade Scivicque
  • IF - 81 - Travis Demeritte
  • OF - 82 - Dustin Peterson

Oh man, I totally forgot the Braves traded Mallex Smith. I was looking all over for him. LOL!

usmcdirtybird likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Alright, cool. I was looking at his minors numbers and I know he's had injury issues but his numbers don't look all that great. Why are the Braves using a 40-man spot on him?

Honestly no clue.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That's an interesting drill. I've never seen an infield take groundballs from that close to the hitter. Weird.

It's a common drill but it's usually two guys throwing short hops to each other. First time I've seen it done that close with a bat. I have seen a coach pull out a shopping cart (literally) full of baseballs, get 15 feet away, and proceed to hit short hoppers at full speed at a first baseman who had ole'd a couple of hard hit grounders. That was entertaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now