Unkn0wn

Braves Spring Training

344 posts in this topic

Plus, it's the final year of his contract. The Braves can trade him at the deadline and get an ok to decent return if he just replicates his numbers from last year. I almost woke up to throwing up when I read the news, but when I saw the return was minimal I calmed back down.

I may be in the minority, but i like it.. career .275 hitter, over .290 the past couple years.. k numbers are down.. great glove.. seems like a nice stop-gap til Ozzie is ready.. 

and got him for a bag o chips.. 

capologist and SacFalcFan like this

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

I may be in the minority, but i like it.. career .275 hitter, over .290 the past couple years.. k numbers are down.. great glove.. seems like a nice stop-gap til Ozzie is ready.. 

agree with you there.. i like it.  

2 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

He hasn't posted an OPS+ over 100 (100 is replacement level) since 2011. Barely over .700 OPS every year since. He's not a good hitter period.

Last 5 seasons (since 2012)

• .279/.317/.403 (.720) 95 OPS+

Just to have some sort of basis to compare that to, here's Phil Gosselin's career hitting line

• .283/.331/.385 (.716) 93 OPS+

So if you're expecting good offense from Brandon Phillips you will be sorely disappointed. But he's a marked improvement over Jace Peterson so there's that, plus he's still great defensively and a great locker room guy. For what the Braves gave up to get him plus the Reds eating nearly all of his salary, there's no downside to this move. These are the kind of moves that good teams make.

I'm optimistic over the deal after reading that we'll only pay $1M of Phillips' $14M salary.  I do hope that Phillips' -7 Rdrs on defense for 2016 was just a blip on the radar though.  Plus his .977 fielding percentage tied his lowest of his career (2006) since becoming an everyday player.

4 hours ago, mookie3127 said:

I'm optimistic over the deal after reading that we'll only pay $1M of Phillips' $14M salary.  I do hope that Phillips' -7 Rdrs on defense for 2016 was just a blip on the radar though.  Plus his .977 fielding percentage tied his lowest of his career (2006) since becoming an everyday player.

Oh my!!

DOB tweeted out Sean Rodriguez could miss the entire season. He had to surgery on his shoulder after the car accident. The optimistic time is 3 to 5 months.

I'm not a big Brandon Phillips fan, but for $1M and two guys that may not have made the AAA bullpen this is a no-brainer trade considering the Rodriguez injury. 

Even if he turns out to be Aybar2.0, at $1M the Braves could just cut him and turn the job over to Albies.

At best he hits well and we flip him.

Falconsfan567 likes this

7 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

The no trade Phillips still retains will probably eliminate any trade

It's only to 12 teams.

Snitker said Albies will be rehabbing to start camp. He will not play in games the "first few weeks"

Jace Peterson, Rio Ruiz, Adonis Garcia and Chase d'Arnaud have reported early and are already taking IF practice.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Flowers gets first crack at catching Dickey. 

As if we haven't had enough fun with the hiring of Bush Hamdan...

"Uh, Phrasing!"-Archer

jidady likes this

On 2/12/2017 at 7:32 PM, Unkn0wn said:

DOB tweeted out Sean Rodriguez could miss the entire season. He had to surgery on his shoulder after the car accident. The optimistic time is 3 to 5 months.

The whole situation is nuts. His entire family gets t-boned by a stolen cop car. He was probably so worried about everybody else and freaked out about the other driver dying that it took him several days to realize he was in a lot of pain.