falconfanEST1989

Not Taking away from NE D... But

57 posts in this topic

The problem is the Patriots defense is built to stop the run and were not tested by passing teams; especially the Falcons who don't care if you can stop them or limit their effectiveness on the ground. It's about the matchup. The Patriots secondary is solid, but nothing special (no offense intended) and you have to hope for your sake the Patriots ground game can keep the Falcons offense off the field.

Atlanta set records on offense; it's a historical season in performance, while facing the 2nd toughest schedule of defenses and their team faced one of the toughest overall schedules compared to the Patriots. Inside the numbers and the personnel matchups favor Atlanta. It leans more towards a shootout possibility, but if I had to pick a blowout I'd favor Atlanta just because of how healthy and peaking this team has been playing. Record setting playoff run so far. If Ryan goes perfect on Sunday your Pats won't win. Atlanta doesn't beat themselves I don't see the Pats winning. Just not the same sort of personnel as a typical '#1 scoring D'. Belichick works his magic, but you guys only had to stop the run, get a decent lead and shut down garbage tier QBs all season. This reminds me exactly of the Falcons poor defense when Aaron Rodgers buzzsawed through a controlled Falcons offense that played 'sound' defense particularly against the run that year. Guess what? An incredible performance from a passing offense exposes your weakness.

The Falcons pass defense actually graded out higher in adjusted metrics like DVOA. (Falcons 19th in the league and Pats 23rd respectively)

Again, Pats MUST play a control offense and game of keep away while limiting the Falcons TOP and total offensive plays. You must get forced errors if that were to happen. I don't see it though. This offense has set it's own tune for quite a while now.

falconsrus likes this

I didn't realize how many Pats fans joined our boards this week. Wow. Welcome everyone, sorry to disappoint you but none of us here really think the Pats are immortal like you do.

2 minutes ago, falconfanEST1989 said:

very well said.... my beef isn't with Pats,  you just have to realize that us Falcons fans are so tired of the disrespect this team gets no matter how well we do..  i agree   I'm more worried about being up by 4 with 1 min to go and Brady having the ball, but that score would be 42-38 lol... 

I don't really understand the disrespect because any true football fan can see the level the Falcons are playing on and it's impressive and fun to watch. I've always been a Matt Ryan and Julio Jones fan and it's nice to see that duo making waves in the post-season. A team and city like Atlanta deserves the respect but you know what they say? Respect isn't given, it's earned. So if the Falcons go and punch their ticket to glory on Sunday, you will all be vindicated my man. I guess I'm just confused by the confidence of some coming into this game from both sides, like each fan base is somehow trying to pretend the other team is worse than they actually are. This is going to be a fantastic Super Bowl and I don't expect anything less than a close game.

It's probably just the nerves and a good way for people to vent it out because come Sunday morning both cities are gonna be in a fervor haha. 

2 minutes ago, slimjim said:

The problem is the Patriots defense is built to stop the run and were not tested by passing teams; especially the Falcons who don't care if you can stop them or limit their effectiveness on the ground. It's about the matchup. The Patriots secondary is solid, but nothing special (no offense intended) and you have to hope for your sake the Patriots ground game can keep the Falcons offense off the field.

Atlanta set records on offense; it's a historical season in performance, while facing the 2nd toughest schedule of defenses and their team faced one of the toughest overall schedules compared to the Patriots. Inside the numbers and the personnel matchups favor Atlanta. It leans more towards a shootout possibility, but if I had to pick a blowout I'd favor Atlanta just because of how healthy and peaking this team has been playing. Record setting playoff run so far. If Ryan goes perfect on Sunday you won't win. Atlanta doesn't beat themselves I don't see the Pats winning. Just not the same sort of personnel as a typical '#1 scoring D'. Belichick works his magic, but you guys only had to stop the 1, get a decent lead and shut down garbage tier QBs all season. This reminds me exactly of the Falcons poor defense when Aaron Rodgers buzzsawed through a controlled Falcons offense that played 'sound' defense particularly against the run that year. Guess what? An incredible performance from a passing offense exposes your weakness.

The Falcons pass defense actually graded out higher in adjusted metrics like DVOA. (Falcons 19th in the league and Pats 23rd respectively)

Again, Pats MUST play a control offense and game of keep away while limiting the Falcons TOP and total offensive plays. You must get forced errors if that were to happen. I don't see it though. This offense has set it's own tune for quite a while now.

I don't really agree with you that the Pats were built to stop the run. I think they were built to be versatile which is something that BB values over most anything else. Don't forget we have McCourty and Butler in our secondary who are proven commodities against the pass. We are pretty good against the run because the defense is really disciplined, and that should carry over whether you are facing a crap quarterback or the likes of Matt Ryan. 

As far as a match up based offense, I think the Falcons and Patriots are so similar in that aspect. Not turning the ball over, making good decisions on offense and exploiting mis-matches are the bread and butter of both these teams from what i understand.

You say "If Ryan goes perfect on Sunday pats won't win" but what happens if Brady is perfect as well? Doesn't something have to give? 

9 minutes ago, GronkZilla said:

I don't really understand the disrespect because any true football fan can see the level the Falcons are playing on and it's impressive and fun to watch. I've always been a Matt Ryan and Julio Jones fan and it's nice to see that duo making waves in the post-season. A team and city like Atlanta deserves the respect but you know what they say? Respect isn't given, it's earned. So if the Falcons go and punch their ticket to glory on Sunday, you will all be vindicated my man. I guess I'm just confused by the confidence of some coming into this game from both sides, like each fan base is somehow trying to pretend the other team is worse than they actually are. This is going to be a fantastic Super Bowl and I don't expect anything less than a close game.

It's probably just the nerves and a good way for people to vent it out because come Sunday morning both cities are gonna be in a fervor haha. 

I don't really agree with you that the Pats were built to stop the run. I think they were built to be versatile which is something that BB values over most anything else. Don't forget we have McCourty and Butler in our secondary who are proven commodities against the pass. We are pretty good against the run because the defense is really disciplined, and that should carry over whether you are facing a crap quarterback or the likes of Matt Ryan. 

As far as a match up based offense, I think the Falcons and Patriots are so similar in that aspect. Not turning the ball over, making good decisions on offense and exploiting mis-matches are the bread and butter of both these teams from what i understand.

You say "If Ryan goes perfect on Sunday pats won't win" but what happens if Brady is perfect as well? Doesn't something have to give? 

Falcons have shown to have more firepower this year than the Patriots and sorry that Gronk is missing but it's next man up. Falcons lost their starting TE, too.

I'd also wager Falcons have a better pass rushing front 4 than the Patriots. Whoever keeps their QB cleanest the most this game and doesn't beat itself will win. The major playing factor for the Patriots will be their need to have a more controlled offense. I don't see them lining up and throwing on the Falcons all day without a running game. Some drives will work and you will get some, but it'll be in a shootout attempt at keeping up with the Falcons, IMO.

Falcons were more tested vs. the pass this year. Many of those teams didn't run the ball well OR couldn't continue to run the ball more like because Atlanta would up the tempo. The Patriots are a more physical and methodical team. Very good. No disrespect. However, Atlanta has peaked on both sides of the ball entering the SB against a tough challenge of defenses and more proven QBs (read passing offenses). Plus, they were a much younger defensive unit this year in terms of experience and only got better as the season wore on and STILL graded better vs the pass in DVOA than the Patriots. That says a lot.

I expect a good game, but again who is the more dominant offense this year? Patriots defense is sound, built to be flexible, but definitely not proven vs the pass this year and again built to be more physical and denying the run / eliminating major pass threats.

Falcons? Record setting year for TDs to different receivers. Just too much for Pats to stop. Take away Julio and if Ryan is not pressured you will not stop the Falcons from moving the ball.

So, at that point the game comes down to red zone scoring.

Edited by slimjim

The only teams that have given us issues have had top of the league pass rushes. You don't have anything resembling an elite pass rush. According to DVOA we have a better pass defense and pass rush, as well as offense. The pluses you have is a better rush defense and history. Overall we are the better team. We have faced better offenses and defenses overall. Prove otherwise with something else than bull****. 

Edited by droopy1592

Ultimately I have to say the fact that New Englands defense is very versatile says a lot, just how our offense is very versatile.  That's what makes them so good, they can match up well with whomever is put across from them.  Our defenses are similar in the sense that there is not one complete superstar, I'll be bias in saying Beasley and Neal and Jones could be.  But I do believe we have superior players at the skill positions and that's what gives up the upper hand.  

11 minutes ago, GronkZilla said:

I agree, it might be confidence but I do believe this year is our destiny.  The ball has been bouncing our way.  

12 minutes ago, slimjim said:

Falcons have shown to have more firepower this year than the Patriots and sorry that Gronk is missing but it's next man up. Falcons lost their starting TE, too.

I'd also wager Falcons have a better pass rushing front 4 than the Patriots. Whoever keeps their QB cleanest the most this game and doesn't beat itself will win. The major playing factor for the Patriots will be their need to have a more controlled offense. I don't see them lining up and throwing on the Falcons all day without a running game. Some drives will work and you will get some, but it'll be in a shootout attempt at keeping up with the Falcons, IMO.

Falcons were more tested vs. the pass this year. Many of those teams didn't run the ball well OR couldn't continue to run the ball more like because Atlanta would up the tempo. The Patriots are a more physical and methodical team. Very good. No disrespect. However, Atlanta has peaked on both sides of the ball entering the SB against a tough challenge of defenses and more proven QBs (read passing offenses). Plus, they were a much younger defensive unit this year in terms of experience and only got better as the season wore on and STILL graded better vs the pass in DVOA than the Patriots. That says a lot.

I expect a good game, but again who is the more dominant offense this year? Patriots defense is sound, built to be flexible, but definitely not proven vs the pass this year and again built to be more physical and denying the run / eliminating major pass threats.

Falcons? Record setting year for TDs to different receivers. Just too much for Pats to stop. Take away Julio and if Ryan is not pressured you will not stop the Falcons from moving the ball.

So, at that point the game comes down to red zone scoring.

Gronk going down for sure changes the complexion of the game because if he was in this game... it would be very different. But the falloff to Bennett isn't crazy drastic, he doesn't demand the attention Gronk does sure but he is still at top 10 TE in the league (and he better show up this game).

I think the front 7 for the two teams is comparable on defense. Beasley is going to be great, but he also feasted on rookie QBs this season. Didn't he sack Goff 3.5 times, Lynch 3 times and Wentz twice? I don't think he is quite at the "von miller" level enough to impact Brady from an edge rusher standpoint. But the Patriots OL has been spectacular as of late so I can't make myself believe that the Falcons are going to be able to get any consistent pressure on Brady without an inside blitz scheme. Edge rushing and blitzes off the edge are exactly what Brady would like to see the Falcons do and he will eat that up all day long.

"who has the more dominant offense this year?" - of course its the Falcons haha, but the Patriots aren't far behind even without Gronk.

If the game does come down to red zone scoring as you say... that actually tilts to the Patriots favor. Both teams score TDs on 63% of their trips to the red zone this season. Only the thing is, Atlanta is dead last at 72% of opponent trips to their red zone end in a TD where as the patriots are 7th best at 50% of opponent trips ending in six points.

18 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

The only teams that have given us issues have had top of the league pass rushes. You don't have anything resembling an elite pass rush. According to DVOA we have a better pass defense and pass rush, as well as offense. The pluses you have is a better rush defense and history. Overall we are the better team. We have faced better offenses and defenses overall. Prove otherwise with something else than bull****. 

I definitely agree that the Patriots have an average pass rush, it's nothing flashy and really its more of a disciplined line that sets the edge. We have more pluses than rush defense and history however. You are discounting our special teams unit and coaching. Not to mention the offense isn't head and shoulders better than the Patriots, its just better.

15 minutes ago, Falcons805 said:

I agree, it might be confidence but I do believe this year is our destiny.  The ball has been bouncing our way.  

It certainly has been bouncing your way, I heard some crazy stat about fumbles recovered this morning for the Falcons this playoffs. Like 5/5 on fumble recoveries or something.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball2 said:

You will see how good this patriots defense is this Sunday when they hold you under 20 points. 

Woah Johnny Football has arrived.   Boozing already I see.... :lol:

GronkZilla likes this

13 minutes ago, GronkZilla said:

Gronk going down for sure changes the complexion of the game because if he was in this game... it would be very different. But the falloff to Bennett isn't crazy drastic, he doesn't demand the attention Gronk does sure but he is still at top 10 TE in the league (and he better show up this game).

I think the front 7 for the two teams is comparable on defense. Beasley is going to be great, but he also feasted on rookie QBs this season. Didn't he sack Goff 3.5 times, Lynch 3 times and Wentz twice? I don't think he is quite at the "von miller" level enough to impact Brady from an edge rusher standpoint. But the Patriots OL has been spectacular as of late so I can't make myself believe that the Falcons are going to be able to get any consistent pressure on Brady without an inside blitz scheme. Edge rushing and blitzes off the edge are exactly what Brady would like to see the Falcons do and he will eat that up all day long.

"who has the more dominant offense this year?" - of course its the Falcons haha, but the Patriots aren't far behind even without Gronk.

If the game does come down to red zone scoring as you say... that actually tilts to the Patriots favor. Both teams score TDs on 63% of their trips to the red zone this season. Only the thing is, Atlanta is dead last at 72% of opponent trips to their red zone end in a TD where as the patriots are 7th best at 50% of opponent trips ending in six points.

The dropoff from Gronk to Bennett is MASSIVE. That's not a knock on Bennett. That's the drop from Gronk to any TE. Brady's career numbers are insanely better with Gronk in the lineup.

Minus Gronk, the Falcons offense is a lot better. But NE is no slouch. I think it will be a close game. But I'd be much more worried if Gronk was gonna play. 

2 hours ago, GronkZilla said:

How is that relevant? Would me watching all Falcons games start to finish change the fact that they have played cupcake defenses for 3/4 of the season?

only if us watching the NE games start to finish would minimalize the fact that y'all have played 'cupcake' offenses for at least 3/4 of this year to get that ever beloved #1 scoring defense rating..... ;)

falconsrus likes this

I'm not knocking the Pats defense, coaching, or their offense.  They have the #1 scoring differential in the league, the Falcons are #2.  Both great teams this season.  The offenses each had 11 turnovers, best in the league.  If you look at it from that standpoint, I would venture to say that the team that wins the turnover battle on Sunday will more than likely be SB champs.  

Falcan Moore likes this

3 hours ago, GronkZilla said:

I'm a little confused...

Buccs, Panthers and Saints twice... all have terrible defenses this season.

Then you faced Raiders, Chargers, Packers, Cardinals, Rams, 49ers.... all terrible defenses as well.. lol

Am I missing something?

The Panthers had a top 5 defense in their first game against the Falcons, and they got 40 hung on them. The Cardinals (#2 in total defense), Rams (#9 in total defense) and Seahawks (#5 in total defense) all finished in the top 10 in total defense, and they all got beat down as well. The Falcons also faced QB's of the likes of Drew Brees (Twice), Carson Palmer, Cam Newton (Twice), Russell Wilson (twice), all (except Palmer) of which have played in or won a Super Bowl, and they all got beat by the Falcons, some of them twice. 

So yes, you're missing a lot, and you are in denial that your team played a total cupcake schedule. 

Edited by 4dabirds

The Patriots are a worthy opponent. Their defense is decent and very well coached. They have handled the teams placed on their schedule well. The defense however is not great like the Bears, Ravens or Broncos SB winning defenses. Brady always comes to play and is probably the GOAT. BB is a great coach and also maybe the greatest ever (at least with Brady as his QB). The Falcons offense is great. Ryan has played as well in the last six games as Brady has played during his best six game stretch in his entire career according to MMQB writer Barnwell. Both defenses will be tested greatly.

3 hours ago, GronkZilla said:

I'm a little confused...

Buccs, Panthers and Saints twice... all have terrible defenses this season.

Arguably the Panthers do have the 3rd best front seven in the league.

Bradberry was PFF's best rookie corner of the year. He even shut down Julio on one on one matchups for 1/3 catches for 5 yards.

However, the issue was the constant injuries. Don't want to take away from the Falcons much, but they exploited our injuries well. When Luke was out, they'd attack our linebackers with their runningbacks. When Benewikerie was still "starting" and lazy, they exploited him with Julio.

Our offense did let us down with injuries and turnovers too.

The issue really is the fact that both teams are so even and similar it's pretty surprising.

Patriots have an underrated defense along with the Falcons. They both have deadly offenses as well. 

I truly expect a good game, no matter the outcome.

Falcan Moore likes this

Seriously. Thank you for coming here and being sensible and talking football. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

I definitely agree that the Patriots have an average pass rush, it's nothing flashy and really its more of a disciplined line that sets the edge. We have more pluses than rush defense and history however. You are discounting our special teams unit and coaching. Not to mention the offense isn't head and shoulders better than the Patriots, its just better.

It certainly has been bouncing your way, I heard some crazy stat about fumbles recovered this morning for the Falcons this playoffs. Like 5/5 on fumble recoveries or something.

We had two leaders in the league in forced fumbles and most did not bounce our way. However, a good bit of our offensive fumbles bounced our way. Most that I can remember. Wasn't many. We hadn't fumbled all year until recently and a couple bad snaps. Mack was hard on himself. 

4 hours ago, GronkZilla said:

The same exact argument could be used against the Falcons offense. The Falcons have feasted upon crappy defenses all year long. The only time you guys faced a decent defense that I can see were versus Denver, Seattle (regular season), Philly and KC and each time you were held in the 20's for points scored. 

When you faced Seattle in the post-season they were missing Earl Thomas and exploited for it.

**** I've seen Saints, Panthers, Seahawks, Bears, and Packers fans come on here many times over the years.  You Patty tards have to be the dumbest group lowlife turds I've ever seen in my life. 

2ND HARDEST DEFENSIVE SCHEDULE CUPCAKE!!!!

Edited by Godzilla1985

3 hours ago, slimjim said:

Falcons run D against common opponents was better than NE run D in terms of yds per carry. 

In the non common games...the Patriots opposing offense's qbs were so pedestrian...they could key on the run. That is what has positively inflated there run D so much. 

There run D is no better than Atlanta's.  Other than Brady...New England is nothing more than an overhyped mass of mediocrity...whereby the entire afc is a weak conference.

Edited by jm_falcons

Here is why I have more faith in the Falcons defense and their ability to slow down the Patriots offense more than I do the Patriots defense to slow down the Falcons offense. It's all in the numbers. In the words of the great Chris Berman, "read them and weep."

The Patriots defense gave up 239.8 yards per game in the air. That ranked 14th in the NFL. The Falcons defense gave up 263.5 yards per game in the air. That ranked 27th. That's a difference of just 23.7 yards per game. 23 yards in today's NFL is nothing. For the best QBs in the NFL, 23 yards is 2 pass completions, heIl, 1 pass completion quite a bit of the time.

Here's that number and some others for the pass defenses.

• Defensive Pass Yard Per Game - Patriots - 239.8 (14th) - Falcons - 263.5 (27th) - Difference of 23.7
  • Defensive Pass Yard Per Attempt - Patriots - 6.3 (T-5th) - Falcons - 6.5 (T-10th) - Difference of 0.2
  • Defensive Pass Yard Per Completion - Patriots - 10.2 (T-10th) - Falcons - 10.2 (T-10th) - Difference of 0.0
  • Defensive Pass Completion Allowed - Patriots - 61.79% (10th) - Falcons - 63.84% (20th) - Difference of 2.05
  • Defensive Pass TD Percentage - Patriots - 76.67% (31st) - Falcons - 67.92% (24th) - Difference of 8.75
  • Defensive Opponent QB Rating Allowed - Patriots - 82.3 (5th) - Falcons - 91.7 (21st) - Difference of 9.4

Now I know, you're saying "you just proved that the Patriots pass defense is better than the Falcons." Sure, you could say that until to look at the passing offenses each team faced and then the very slight edge the numbers say that the Patriots have flips to favor the Falcons.

PATRIOTS DEFENSE VS. PASS OFFENSES

• Arizona - 258.5 (9th)
  • Miami - 218.8 (26th) (Twice)
  • Houston - 198.5 (29th) (Twice)
  • Buffalo - 189.8 (30th) (Twice)
  • Cincinnati - 246.4 (15th)
  • Pittsburgh - 262.2 (T-5th) (Twice) (Big Ben missed one of the games)
  • Seattle - 257.8 (10th)
  • San Francisco - 181.9 (32nd)
  • NY Jets - 216.6 (T-27th) (Twice)
  • Los Angeles - 184.4 (31st)
  • Baltimore - 256.3 (12th)
  • Denver - 230.3 (T-21st)

Those are some pretty horrific passing offenses faced. Now check out the ranks of some of the passing offenses the Falcons faced.

FALCONS DEFENSE VS. PASS OFFENSES

• Tampa Bay - 245.4 (16th) (Twice)
  • Oakland - 253.2 (13th)
  • New Orleans - 317.1 (1st) (Twice)
  • Carolina - 230.3 (T-21st) (Twice)
  • Denver - 230.3 (T-21st)
  • Seattle - 257.8 (10th)
  • San Diego - 262.4 (T-7th)
  • Green Bay - 262.4 (T-7th) (Twice)
  • Philadelphia - 224.1 (24th)
  • Arizona - 258.5 (9th)
  • Kansas City - 233.8 (19th)
  • Los Angeles - 184.4 (31st)
  • San Francisco - 181.9 (32nd)

The Falcons had 7 games against passing offenses that ranked in the top 10 in yards. The Patriots had just 4 and in one of those games faced the horrible Landry Jones because Big Ben was out. None of the offenses the Patriots faced rank anywhere near the Falcons passing offense and the Falcons faced the number 1 passing offense twice and won both games. The Falcons pass defense has been thoroughly tested this season and has progressively gotten better as the season has progressed.

Now I also saw the comment about the Patriots defense practicing against the Patriots offense and while that is true, it also holds true for the Falcons offense as well. Now here's the other thing, the Falcons defense has been rather tested in games by the likes of guys like Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers and more than held up their end of the deal. The Patriots defense aside from facing Tom Brady in practice, haven't come close to seeing a QB this season that ranks anywhere near the level of Matt Ryan, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, and no, Big Ben isn't on the level of any of those 3, not this season. In fact, I've never really ever thought of Big Ben in the same area of Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. Aside from 2014 and maybe 2007, I've never really had a reason to because Big Ben isn't as good as he's made out to be. He's a good solid QB but he's not among the NFL's best.

Pats D is very well coached and discipline. But talent wise they lack talent big time.

Pats D vs Falcons D talent wise isn't even close most falcon fans feel good with the current defense and that doesn't include turfant PFF said falcons two top LBers lead NFL in PDs and they rank tops in the league in speed and covering space then the two young safeties ones a ballhawk and the other the hardest hitter in the NFL and they also have great speed so lbers and safeties are getting overlooked because of how dominate the DL has been.

I think Ryan is on a mission and I think he's going to shred that pats D for 400+ and 4-5 TDs falcons will score 40+ just don't think NE has enough speed on either side of the ball to sustain success for the entire game.

This is really youth and talent vs experience and most of time if experience wins (Pats) it will be a close grind it out game and falcons will still have a chance to win if youth wins its usually a butt whipping which I see happening.

Truth be told the pats almost have to get them this year because there so young going forward this team will be leaps and bounds better next year with this added confidence and growth.

The reason I see a blow out the more time that's goes by is basically what Michael Bennett said Dan quinn rotates his DLmen and they play 200-300 less snaps than a normal team in a season and they look so fresh against Seattle and greenbay I think the falcons offense scores 17-24 in the first half forcing NE to play more aggressive and pressuring Brady and forcing him into mistakes.

Pats fans really don't understand the falcons could have probably scored 45-50 on Seattle if the game was closer and 60 on the packers there defense is good to solid but not great that's why I can easily see the falcons scoring 40+ in this one.

My prediction 34-45 falcons pats tack on a TD or two in the 4th to make it look closer than it really was.