Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkbigdog35

February Hawks Thread

188 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, usmcdirtybird said:

How about not being a coward and put a real name with your post.  

Because then he'd be ignored.. 

51 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

LOL so that's how they get around it. :lol:

:tiphat:

Mobile unselfish "center" that can help cover a lot of flaws?

7 points on 3-10 shooting, 1-5 from 3, 2 rebounds!, 3 assists in a LOSS to Chicago 

definitely worth that max contract he wanted..... 

ps Chicago out rebounded them by 20.. second chance opportunities matter "in today's NBA"

22 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Because then he'd be ignored.. 

:tiphat:

I respect you because if you post then you have your name to it and you are ready to debate what you post with anyone.  The ones that go "unknown" are just cowards.  

blkbigdog35 likes this

18 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I respect you because if you post then you have your name to it and you are ready to debate what you post with anyone.  The ones that go "unknown" are just cowards.  

I respect you because you served :tiphat:..  

i have a hard time respecting anyone who's heart only beats to spread negative thinking.. if you don't have something to believe in, then you've lost sight of what being a fan entitles you to.. 

blkbigdog35 and usmcdirtybird like this

57 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Honor Courage Commitment all day everyday brother!

TheTrue7 likes this

34 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

i have a hard time respecting anyone who's heart only beats to spread negative thinking.. if you don't have something to believe in, then you've lost sight of what being a fan entitles you to.. 

Very true brother!

NBA Rumor Central: Hawks remain active in trade talks

ESPN.com

ESPN.com  

When the Atlanta Hawks traded guard Kyle Korver to the Cleveland Cavaliers for forward Mike Dunleavy on Jan. 7, it was thought to be the beginning of a tear-down of the roster. Well, the team has continued to play well and there's talk that the Hawks are looking to add talent by the Feb. 23 deadline.

Rumor CentralChris Vivlamore of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes: "The Hawks may have taken Paul Millsap off the trade market but the team has been active ahead of next week’s NBA trade deadline, according to a person familiar with the situation."

The Hawks have several players with expiring contracts and those deals might appeal to a few teams looking to clear salary cap room for 2017-18. Those players include Tim Hardaway Jr., Kris Humphries, Mike Muscala, Mike Scott, Thabo Sefolosha and Tiago Splitter. Out of those six players, Hardaway Jr. may be the only one to return next season.

The Hawks also have five future first-round selections available over the next three years and one or two could be used to bring in some veteran talent.

Millsap, who owns a player option for 2017-18 worth $21.4 million, is very happy to know that he won't be traded this season.

“Bud [president of basketball operations and head coach Mike Budenholzer] has been a man of his word,” Millsap said. “He has always shot it straight with me, always been honest with me. I take his word for what it is. It’s refreshing to know I’m not going anywhere and I’ll be on this team until the end of the year."

--- Nick Silva

Here is an article by Jeff Schultz of the AJC being an armchair GM, smh!!!

Keeping these Hawks together at deadline makes little sense

atlanta-hawks By Jeff Schultz - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

myajc  

Here is the optimistic viewpoint of the Hawks at the All-Star break: Despite letting Al Horford go, despite replacing him with Dwight Howard, despite dealing Kyle Korver last month, despite fielding a team considered so uninteresting that average home (announced) attendance has dropped by 1,000 from last season and 1,500 from two years ago, they are on pace to finish with about the same regular-season record as a year ago.

That’s the best-case scenario. Because while the Hawks are 32-24 and theoretically can host a first-round playoff series, they have a negative point differential, they’ve been a tick above a .500 team (23-22) since opening 9-2 and — perhaps most important — there seems little to point to and think, “There’s a building block for the future.”

Not surprisingly, Mike Budenholzer painted a rosier picture. He said “nobody envisioned” a stretch when the Hawks lost 10 of 11 games and, repeating my description of his team used in a question, said, “I believe we’re better than a tick over a .500 team. You need to be honest with yourself and be self-critical and, yes, we’d like to be better and more consistent on a nightly basis. But I think we’re a good team that has shown it can compete at a high level.”

They have had some good wins: Cleveland, Oklahoma City, Houston twice. But they’ve had too many embarrassing nights: losses to Toronto by 44, Washington by 26, Detroit by 36, Utah by 27 and 25. There’s little sense of building or trending upward, which is not a good sign with two-thirds of the season gone.

Budenholzer long ago proved himself as a head coach. He is not proven as a front-office executive. Credit him for acquiring Tim Hardaway Jr. in a deal criticized by many and developing the guard into a solid player and legitimate perimeter weapon. But otherwise, his “plus” column in transactions is thin.

Only one starter (Paul Millsap) remains from the team that went to the Eastern Conference finals two years ago. Budenholzer reaffirmed he will hold onto Millsap at the NBA trade deadline. I have a question: Why?

Millsap is the Hawks’ best player, he loves playing for Budenholzer and he said he wants to stay in Atlanta (just like Horford). But he’s 32 years old, and he is going to opt out of his contract after the season, which means he’ll be fielding offers from other teams, including contenders. The Hawks are running the risk of losing a four-time All-Star for nothing (also like Horford), or they’ll have to pay him more than he’s realistically worth at his age to keep him. If Horford (two years younger) wasn’t worth going to the wall for, is Millsap?

Based on youth, talent and contract, the Hawks have one player to potentially build around: point guard Dennis Schroder. If rookies Taurean Prince and DeAndre Bembry develop, there’s two more. But they’re unproven commodities.

Only six players are under contract for next season: Howard, Schroder, Prince, Bembry, Kent Bazemore and Malcolm Delaney. Hardaway is a restricted free agent and could get offered more than the Hawks want to pay. There are five unrestricted free agents, including Thabo Sefolosha, which is why he remains a candidate to go before the deadline. This roster could be bludgeoned after the season.

The Hawks surely will make the playoffs, but they’re unlikely to make a dent when they get there. There are far better teams in the East: Cleveland (even with injuries), Boston (11-2 going into the break and possibly better than Cleveland), Washington (which has won 18 of 21 and 27 of 35) and even skidding Toronto.

There are big-picture decisions that need to be made — but the biggest will be by majority owner Tony Ressler, not Budenholzer.

Ressler is the organization’s principal decision-maker and, as such, is evaluating the moves (and non-moves) of Budenholzer and general manager Wes Wilcox. Ressler has done some good things in his early tenure, negotiating deals for a practice facility, a major renovation of Philips Arena and a D-League team. He’s competitive. He cares. He’s way ahead of the cartoon ownership group that preceded him. But improvement of the product may depend on his ability to improve the front office and bring in somebody with vision.

Budenholzer praised Ressler and said of their relationship, “I think we’re in a great place. We’re still relatively new to each other, but I think we have a better understanding of each other and of the NBA. There are a lot of teams at a similar level to us.”

But that’s not necessarily a good thing. They rank 20th in offense and often not good enough on defense to make up for that (10th overall, but allowing the fourth-most 3-pointers in the league at 10.7 per game).

They certainly aren’t the bunch that rolled to 60 wins and the conference finals two years ago when, for a moment, the Hawks were Atlanta’s “it” team. Keeping this core intact at the deadline seems to make little sense.

Crunksauce likes this

On 2/17/2017 at 8:29 PM, TheTrue7 said:

Thanks man, If a person is going to bring negativity.  Put a name with your statement.  I am all over Mark Fox but I will stay with my comments. 

28 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Thanks man, If a person is going to bring negativity.  Put a name with your statement.  I am all over Mark Fox but I will stay with my comments. 

When you label yourself a fan yet bring nothing but negativity, then you should be called out.. as a troll..

now calling out mark fox isn't in the same realm as what he's doing.. fox has been here long enough to prove he's not getting better.. this guys issue is against Howard.. howard was brought in here to keep us competitive on the glass, which he's doing.. 

Edited by TheTrue7
usmcdirtybird likes this

I think what is hurting this team at the moment is depth and chemistry. I think if we can get consistent play out of the 2 and 3 positions it would greatly enhance offensive and defensive production. I like what sap and Howard are doing but we need one of the other bigs like moose and Humphries to step up there play. I think this team could make a little noise.

TheTrue7 likes this

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

When you label yourself a fan yet bring nothing but negativity, then you should be called out.. as a troll..

now calling out mark fox isn't in the same realm as what he's doing.. fox has been here long enough to prove he's not getting better.. this guys issue is against Howard.. howard was brought in here to keep us competitive on the glass, which he's doing.. 

Who would you REALISTICALLY would like us to trade for.  We need a shooter.  I really ant Gordon Hayward this offseason.  I do want Milsap resigned and the price is going to hurt.  A front court of Hayward, Milsap and Howard would be nice.  

BOLD PREDICTION: I think the Knicks are going to get Teague this offseason if they keep Carmelo, Carmelo needs a pg.  Perfect match.   

One last nugget.  You know the the basketball gods are against you when you make a deal with Brooklyn and we get late round picks.  Boston makes it and they have the potential for a top 4 pick.  

12 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Who would you REALISTICALLY would like us to trade for.  We need a shooter.  I really ant Gordon Hayward this offseason.  I do want Milsap resigned and the price is going to hurt.  A front court of Hayward, Milsap and Howard would be nice.  

BOLD PREDICTION: I think the Knicks are going to get Teague this offseason if they keep Carmelo, Carmelo needs a pg.  Perfect match.   

One last nugget.  You know the the basketball gods are against you when you make a deal with Brooklyn and we get late round picks.  Boston makes it and they have the potential for a top 4 pick.  

Hayward would be a godsend.. we've been drooling over that idea for a while now.. we finally got a legit rebounding center.. to shore up the 3 spot would be perfect 

Gordon would be a nice pick but I think Tony may have to open up the pocketbook and deal with the luxury tax to bring in some on.

Cousins going to New Orleans. Typically my hatred for that city is so great, it bleeds over into hating the other city team even tho they have nothing to do with us, but even so I sometimes like Pelicans, and I like Anthony Davis so this might be a fun pairing to watch as long as AD is healthy. Won't win them a ring in any case. 

They've an uphill climb for even 8 anyway 

11 hours ago, atl falcon 89 said:

Cousins going to New Orleans. Typically my hatred for that city is so great, it bleeds over into hating the other city team even tho they have nothing to do with us, but even so I sometimes like Pelicans, and I like Anthony Davis so this might be a fun pairing to watch as long as AD is healthy. Won't win them a ring in any case. 

They've an uphill climb for even 8 anyway 

That front court tho.. Jesus.

15 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Hayward would be a godsend.. we've been drooling over that idea for a while now.. we finally got a legit rebounding center.. to shore up the 3 spot would be perfect 

I know but I cannot help it.  The Hawks got a guy for a two year deal from Utah and it has worked out well.  You know him as the anchorman.    

2 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I know but I cannot help it.  The Hawks got a guy for a two year deal from Utah and it has worked out well.  You know him as the anchorman.    

IMG_0381.JPG

Trade bazemore and the farm for Paul George.  Find a way to keep Hardaway

Dennis

Hardaway

George

Milsap

Dwight

profit

Wednesday's Hawks News: Updating the status of Sefolosha, Splitter

ESPN.com

ESPN.com | 1:16 PM ET

Howard to have high school number retired: Dwight Howard will have his Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy high school jersey number retired by school on Thursday. The Hawks center will have his No. 12 honored during halftime of Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy’s playoff game against Whitefield Academy. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Where the Hawks stand headed into final 26 games of regular season: Thabo Sefolosha could return following the break after the starting small forward missed nine straight games with a left groin injury. That would be welcomed news for the Hawks. In addition, Tiago Splitter is getting closer to a return from the hip and calf injuries that have sidelined him all season. The backup center has been doing increased work in his rehabilitation and could return at some point for the stretch run. Millsap, the lone Hawks player to participate in the All-Star Weekend, doesn’t have to return to practice until Thursday. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Nothing imminent but Hawks ‘very busy’ ahead of trade deadline: Two days ahead of the NBA trade deadline and the Hawks continue to be “very busy” exploring possible deals to add to the current roster, according to a person familiar with the situation. The Hawks have had “a lot of conversations with a lot of teams” over the past two days but nothing is imminent. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Ersan Ilyasova traded from 76ers to Hawks for Tiago Splitter, per report

by Tim Cato@tim_cato Feb 22, 2017, 7:29pm EST

SBNation.com  

Ersan Ilyasova has been traded from the Philadelphia 76ers to the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for Tiago Splitter and a second round pick, according to The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The 76ers will also have swap rights for a future Hawks’ second round pick, per USA Today.

The trade is a minor one, as both players are on expiring deals. Splitter has played sparingly in a limited backup role this season, suiting up in 36 games while averaging 5.6 points and 3.3 rebounds. Ilyasova is a more impactful player, stretching the floor as a power forward and averaging 14.8 points on 44 percent shooting in 53 games in Philadelphia.

Clearly, Atlanta sees Ilyasova helping them in the playoff push for the small price of a couple second round picks. The Hawks are currently 32-24 and a half game back of the Raptors in the fourth seed.

Ilyasova has been on five teams since the summer of 2015 due to being traded so frequently.

For Ilyasova’s sake, let’s hope his frantic team hopping settles down.

Vox MediaAdvertise with usJobs @ Vox Media© 2017 Vox Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved Sports data © STATS 2016

That little winning streak after the Korver trade will prove to be the worst thing that could've ever happened to this team. Had a chance to blow it up and got scared. Now they're making lateral moves and are about to resign 32 year old Paul Millsap to a 5 year deal. ugh.