Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jerry Maguire

Your Gameplan vs. Rodgers

47 posts in this topic

I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks is the best gameplan against A-A-Ron.  Atlanta used Beasley to spy in the 2nd half during the Week 8 matchup and that worked well.  However, GB is going to gameplan for that.  What will Quinn and Co's response?  I would love to hear from @PeytonMannings Forehead on this one, too.

I think Atlanta will still use the spy at times, but sometimes disguish the rush by sending Beasley from that spot and dropping a player back where he vacated.  I also think playing some contain on the outside and forcing Rodgers up into the pocket can result in some sacks if the interior guys can get some push.  

just dont sit back like dallas and rush 3-4 and let him scramble and find wr's open after 5 secs, got to bring someone all the time keep him guessing 

1 minute ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

Not so fast, Jerry Maguire!  Or should I say, Coach Mike McCarthy, to use your real name!  We're not telling you ****!

lol.

I think it was Vel that said we should be approaching this just like we did the Seattle offense.  I agree strongly with this in the sense that we should be using somebody to run a very shallow zone/ combo coverage until the flow of the pocket becomes obvious. That's when that spy needs to attack and do it decisively and rapidly.  Don't allow Rodgers to roll out to his right and make sure he's getting hit to the ground all game long. 

I'd employ a similar plan with Seattle, using a spy, but we really need to challenge receivers at the line of scrimmage. We need to discombobulate them. Get them off their routes, and nail Rodgers everytime he steps out of the pocket. If we could get a lead, and make a statement by playing physical intimidating defense to get their receivers out of their game, it can offset a lot of the damage Rodgers can do. 

On Offense, just keep the gas pedal down. NEVER take a lead for granted, which is still something I have concerns about with Quinn. A lot of that was alleviated Sunday. Even though I think we should have gone for the TD at the end of Seattle. There shouldn't be any concession in the Playoffs. 

Also, getting off the field when rotating in and out players would be a big help. 

35 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

just dont sit back like dallas and rush 3-4 and let him scramble and find wr's open after 5 secs, got to bring someone all the time keep him guessing 

Yea this absolutely can NOT happen if we want to win this game. 

1 minute ago, paulitik said:

I'd employ a similar plan with Seattle, using a spy, but we really need to challenge receivers at the line of scrimmage. We need to discombobulate them. Get them off their routes, and nail Rodgers everytime he steps out of the pocket. If we could get a lead, and make a statement by playing physical intimidating defense to get their receivers out of their game, it can offset a lot of the damage Rodgers can do. 

On Offense, just keep the gas pedal down. NEVER take a lead for granted, which is still something I have concerns about with Quinn. A lot of that was alleviated Sunday. Even though I think we should have gone for the TD at the end of Seattle. There shouldn't be any concession in the Playoffs. 

Also, getting off the field when rotating in and out players would be a big help. 

Well said pauli.

Just now, Jerry Maguire said:

You definitely cannot give Rodgers 5 or 6 seconds to throw it.  And even if you don't get the sack, get the hit.  Do not let him get or stay in a rhythm.

I've noticed that you can usually tell how effective any given defense is against Rodgers by looking at his face.  Just use the smug scale to distinguish his level of comfort. Usually he's sitting at an elite level of smug. 

The biggest thing should be not to allow any GB receivers to get behind them if and when Rodgers leaves the pocket and challenge/contest and hit through the ball.

Always be aware that don't take it for granted that he's attempting to run out of bounds when he's going to the sidelines.

falconsd56 likes this

It really isn't any different than how we face Cam or Russell.

I know they keep saying that Quinn hates the term spy, they said it Saturday, but he does employ the tactic often. On Saturday it was Campbell in that role. He has the speed to keep up with anyone, including Rodgers who picks his moments to run and would rather not. Campbell has really grown into this defense. I like what I see there.

We should use Cover 1 press with a spy.  Mix up the coverages to keep him guessing and a few blitzes, especially on 3rd downs.  You know he's going to roll out on 3rd down to buy more time, so you blitz up the middle and have the line run stunts.  If you have the line running cross-rushes (since you know they won't run).  GB rolls out one of their lineman to cover the rollout, so the stunts will eliminate that  person, this will allow the spy to freely rush Aaron Rodgers.

hit him, hit him often, hit him late if u have to. Make him uncomfortable, if he scrambles hit him like he's a WR going across the middle.

30 minutes ago, Jerry Maguire said:

You definitely cannot give Rodgers 5 or 6 seconds to throw it.  And even if you don't get the sack, get the hit.  Do not let him get or stay in a rhythm.

The problem is, you don't "give him" that long...him and that brick wall in front of him take 5-8 seconds. It's a nightmare.

Basically, we're going to need a stop or two more than them. Because they're unlikely to the turn the ball over and unlikely to make many mistakes which leave points on the field. 

3 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

The problem is, you don't "give him" that long...him and that brick wall in front of him take 5-8 seconds. It's a nightmare.

Basically, we're going to need a stop or two more than them. Because they're unlikely to the turn the ball over and unlikely to make many mistakes which leave points on the field. 

Turnovers are going to be a huge factor in this game.

Use Hageman and Garland to press the pocket inside. Get their hands up.

Squeeze the outside rush back towards the center of the pocket.

DBs keep a finger on the receivers at all times so that they can be tracked during the scramble drill. Watch THEM not Rodgers.

Run the ball and wear out that defense, keep Rodgers from getting into a rhythm.

Neal has to be on point, smash the h3ll out of whoever the outlet guy is.

I think the two best things we have going for us:

GB's back 7 and GB's lack of weapons. Rodgers is ridiculous and he's going to give his guys multiple shots to make plays. But this is still an underwhelming group with a history of making mistakes. 

I think we can shut down whatever they call a run game and make them one dimensional. That dimension is ridiculous but I think we can beat it. 

yeah... simply don't give him 7-8 seconds to sit in the pocket like he has been doing ... gotta get pressure... and they have to get to him a few times..

and our offense needs to keep him off the feild

Edited by newgafatboy

45 minutes ago, paulitik said:

I was all about putting up a 40 burger on Seattle, but how can you say that we should've gone for the TD at the end instead of kneeling to end the game? Guaranteed game over versus giving Seattle the ball back...

Mixing coverages is the only way to slowdown Rodgers because you can't really stop him. Messing with his internal clock and making him hesitate enough for the pass rush to get there is key. As for the spying, you never completely STOP spying Rodgers, just time it right. He's at his absolute best outside the pocket and you can not let him get any extra time.