Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkbigdog35

January Hawks Thread

183 posts in this topic

Again we lost by 2.. with a blown call before half on the goaltending.. to sit here and pretend like we weren't able to compete to try to promote ones agenda is ludicrous.. 

jayu70 likes this

55 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

How is it possible to have negative reputation?!?!

You've seen the comments... :nyd::shrug:

I'm not promoting my agenda, I'm just telling the cold, cold hard truth:

1. Dwight Howard is not a post threat in one on one situations anymore unless it's a situation in which he can just turn and shoot. You are absolutely KIDDING yourself if you think that he is, because he is not. His post offense came from pure athleticism and being more physical than other players in the past, and he's lost a TON of his athleticism. He has never had any actual post moves.
2. Yes, this was a close game, but let's look at why this was a close game.

The starting lineup was completely ineffective on defense with Boston's 5 out offense. It was too easy for Boston on offense, they just got backdoor cut after backdoor cut after backdoor cut when they ran the offense, even if it wasn't through a PG (and this was after Thomas stopped being treated like he was LeBron). And this is where the Hawks miss Horford, but it's a very little thing that goes unnoticed if the team is talented enough, which its not. Howard is a very poor communicator on defense compared to Horford.

And on offense with the starting lineup, everyone just sagged into the paint and it cut off the ability to dribble drive and get into the paint easily for easy opportunities. Any plays that actually were CALLED to get in the paint got swallowed up with ease, as I indicated in an earlier post.

So why did this game end up being close? It was close because with Howard not in the game, even with a defensive lineup that is technically not a good one, they did a much better job of communicating on defense, and in the second half, the second unit hustled.

And offensively the offense was better with a spacing lineup put on the floor.

Just like with the Hawks-Pacers series, in a playoff series if one were to actually happen, it would not be the series for Dwight Howard (like Roy Hibbert in the past). A 5 out offense that is effectively executed is going to pretty much take Dwight Howard out of the game, like Roy Hibbert was in this series. It would also not be the series for Thabo Sefolosha because he's an effective hiding place for Thomas on defense. Howard and Sefolosha would be better against Cleveland and Toronto.

Again, unless Howard starts sulking or Dennis lets this game bleed into the future, just like with the New York matinee, I think things have stabilized into this team ending up winning 45-48 games in the end. If Howard starts sulking, all bets will be off and it'll be tough to recover from another stretch where Dennis is in his own head and trying too hard.

Hawks get enough to win.  Derrick Rose should have gotten a foul on the final drive to the basket.  I am happy for the win.  A win on the road in the Garden is always great.   

47 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

WW.. could you tell who was missing with those rebounding numbers?

Yep, he definitely gives them that presence in the post.

TheTrue7 likes this

1 minute ago, usmcdirtybird said:

We missed Howard and Muscala.  Muscala has grown into a nice piece for our team.  

No doubt but Humphries did do a decent job in this game.

usmcdirtybird likes this

4 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

No doubt but Humphries did do a decent job in this game.

He hit 2 3 pointers.  I was surprised.  I like the Dunleavy move.  HE can freely move more than Korver.  

blkbigdog35 likes this

12 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

He hit 2 3 pointers.  I was surprised.  I like the Dunleavy move.  HE can freely move more than Korver.  

Dunleavy is definitely fitting in nicely. I'm starting to like the look of this team.

Missed the game but glad they beat NY, I don't wanna give a struggling team confidence., but odd to have b2b day games.

I've said that the move for Dunleavy would pay out nicely given that we gave up one perimeter shooter to acquire him (along with that shiny first round pick). What Dunleavy lacks in ELITE three point shooting he makes up for size and better rebounding.

And let's not forget that the move allows more minutes to be invested towards the development of our bright, young wings in Taurean Prince and D. Bembry. I expect those two to really step their game up once the ASB hits.

TheTrue7 and blkbigdog35 like this

2 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Hawks are getting their azzes whipped at the moment

The Pistons are simply on fire right now. It's funny how so many teams can slip into a good rhythm and shoot at a ridiculous clip like 60% against us. It's probably a good mix of not enough hustle from our guys, miscommunication, and flat out luck from the opposition. In games like this where our regular starters and role players are playing poorly, we might as well throw some minutes towards Prince and Bembry.

Another small side note- Mike Scott has looked pretty bland since his return from injury. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt since he hasn't had a full offseason to recover and is definitely rusty, but he just doesn't seem to have the right body language out there either. It would be nice if we could get Muscala healthy sooner than later.

blkbigdog35 likes this

14 minutes ago, mlibid said:

The Pistons are simply on fire right now. It's funny how so many teams can slip into a good rhythm and shoot at a ridiculous clip like 60% against us. It's probably a good mix of not enough hustle from our guys, miscommunication, and flat out luck from the opposition. In games like this where our regular starters and role players are playing poorly, we might as well throw some minutes towards Prince and Bembry.

Another small side note- Mike Scott has looked pretty bland since his return from injury. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt since he hasn't had a full offseason to recover and is definitely rusty, but he just doesn't seem to have the right body language out there either. It would be nice if we could get Muscala healthy sooner than later.

Great points it just seems like one of those nights where nothing is going right for the hawks and the pistons look like a championship team. The defensive effort from the hawks has been terrible.

mlibid likes this

Just now, blkbigdog35 said:

Great points it just seems like one of those nights where nothing is going right for the hawks and the pistons look like a championship team. The defensive effort from the hawks has been terrible.

The defense starts and ends with Dwight Howard. If he's not mentally in the game, then we're at a significant disadvantage on the floor. I know Millsap is the "two-way superstar" here, but a 6'8" undersized PF can only do so much to anchor a defense.

blkbigdog35 likes this

11 minutes ago, mlibid said:

The defense starts and ends with Dwight Howard. If he's not mentally in the game, then we're at a significant disadvantage on the floor. I know Millsap is the "two-way superstar" here, but a 6'8" undersized PF can only do so much to anchor a defense.

Yep Dwight has been absent in this game with only 3 rebounds. However i think this was a bad showing from the whole squad.

10 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Yep Dwight has been absent in this game with only 3 rebounds. However i think this was a bad showing from the whole squad.

Yup. It looks like they just weren't all into it tonight. It's too bad though because in the span of 10 games, including the loss vs. Boston, this team looked like it was clicking on all cylinders. This is the type of loss that could set the team a few games back judging by how mentally fragile we've been so far this season. Hopefully, it's just a small hiccup and that we could build off of it.

On that note... Our wings have been very inconsistent this season. Schroder's lack of consistency I will take because he is still young, and it's easy to forget that he's a first year starter. So I will live with DS17's growing pains. However, the combination of Bazemore, Sefolosha, and Hardaway Jr. have been far too inconsistent on both ends of the floor. I'm really hoping that one of T. Prince or D. Bembry can step it up for us and provide more quality minutes from the wings.

Also, I'm not comfortable with the lack of depth from our center position. Humphries has played pretty much up to par with what we've expected from him. But with Dwight's not so perfect health record and Muscala being out, we could easily become exposed down the stretch when your players start suffering injuries later in the season. I'd like us to at least explore acquiring another big that could come off the bench.

blkbigdog35 likes this

8 minutes ago, mlibid said:

Yup. It looks like they just weren't all into it tonight. It's too bad though because in the span of 10 games, including the loss vs. Boston, this team looked like it was clicking on all cylinders. This is the type of loss that could set the team a few games back judging by how mentally fragile we've been so far this season. Hopefully, it's just a small hiccup and that we could build off of it.

On that note... Our wings have been very inconsistent this season. Schroder's lack of consistency I will take because he is still young, and it's easy to forget that he's a first year starter. So I will live with DS17's growing pains. However, the combination of Bazemore, Sefolosha, and Hardaway Jr. have been far too inconsistent on both ends of the floor. I'm really hoping that one of T. Prince or D. Bembry can step it up for us and provide more quality minutes from the wings.

Also, I'm not comfortable with the lack of depth from our center position. Humphries has played pretty much up to par with what we've expected from him. But with Dwight's not so perfect health record and Muscala being out, we could easily become exposed down the stretch when your players start suffering injuries later in the season. I'd like us to at least explore acquiring another big that could come off the bench.

I agree and this team is still a work in progress. I would like to see more of prince and bembry. It can't hurt because of the lack of consistency we are seeing from the 2 and 3 spots. Center depth is definitely a concern as well. Let's hope this is just a hiccup and not the start of another slump.

mlibid likes this

We got a glimpse of three things today:

Detroit effectively freezing out the two most versatile offensive players on the team by foul trouble and cutting off driving lanes in the first quarter. There was a good reason why Thabo and Kent were being allowed to handle a lot, that's what the opponent wanted.

Why no Millsap is a killer, even with forgetting stats. Even with a more veteran PG, he is the guy that makes the half court offense go even if its not with his scoring.

Bud essentially choosing to throw the game away with a very stupid lineup.

Missed tonight's game, but it seemed like we got a big lead, went to sleep, and then woke up late to make sure the game was still going to be a Hawks win.