Falconsfan567

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread

92 posts in this topic

Braves are in talks with Sarasota, FL for a Spring complex. The county posted on twitter that if completed the Braves would relocate to Sarasota in 2019.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Braves are in talks with Sarasota, FL for a Spring complex. The county posted on twitter that if completed the Braves would relocate to Sarasota in 2019.

Yeah, the key word is exclusive talks. The Braves had been in the exploratory phase with Palm Beach County and came out with artists renderings last week. I'm guessing that lit a fire under Sarasota.

24 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Yeah, the key word is exclusive talks. The Braves had been in the exploratory phase with Palm Beach County and came out with artists renderings last week. I'm guessing that lit a fire under Sarasota.

For old times sake it would be cool if they ended up back in West Palm Beach like the old days. I remember when they used to share a complex with the Expos.

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

For old times sake it would be cool if they ended up back in West Palm Beach like the old days. I remember when they used to share a complex with the Expos.

Which was great and terrible in the early 90's when I went. Terrible park but really awesome because the Braves and Expos were awesome back then.

It's hard for me to really get into the Braves offseason talk right now with the Falcons in the playoffs and the Hawks battling in the regular season, but I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to talking it up with you guys this season! The Chop Nation has so many things to look forward to this year with the potential of Albies starting in the majors, a full season of Dansby Swanson, and a revamped rotation to boot. Not to mention our farm system, arguably the best in the league, being stacked with quality pitchers up and down the organization! Can't wait for the season to start!

23 hours ago, Ransack said:

Which was great and terrible in the early 90's when I went. Terrible park but really awesome because the Braves and Expos were awesome back then.

Braves and Expos also had stacked farm systems and used to play each other 8-10 times each spring.

Scary situation for new Brave Sean Rodriguez. His family vehicle was struck by a stolen police car in Miami. The stolen car then burst into flames and killed the person inside. Rodriguez escaped with no injuries, his wife is in fair condition. His two children are in serious but stable condition. The children are 8 and 2 years old. 

Braves signed LHP Rex Brothers to a minor league deal. Brothers did not get an invite to ST. Prior to 2014, Brothers was a stud but has been awful since.

11 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Onto the Braves I guess. Maybe some day one Atlanta team will come through for us...

If the Braves win 81 games this year then that's a good year.

So Braves traded for Phillips, he declined earlier in the offseason. Why the revisit by the Braves and change of heart by Phillips?

48 minutes ago, Malachore said:

So Braves traded for Phillips, he declined earlier in the offseason. Why the revisit by the Braves and change of heart by Phillips?

The latest report is that the Brave's will allow Phillips to carry over his no trade rights from CIN and the Brave's will give him an assignment bonus.  I'd guess that he shot down the trade previously because Atlanta because of the no trade rights, which I don't blame him for at this stage in his career.  We do have a recent history of picking up players and flipping them at the deadline.

Link to trade deatails.

Braves To Acquire Brandon Phillips

By Connor Byrne | February 12, 2017 at 8:58am CDT

SUNDAY, 8:58am: Atlanta will send 27-year-old left-hander Andrew McKirahan and 29-year-old right-hander Carlos Portuondo to Cincinnati, tweets Buchanan. The Braves outrighted McKirahan in October, which came after he spent last season recovering from Tommy John surgery. Portuondo is only a year removed from joining the Braves as an international free agent from Cuba. In his first year of minor league action, he combined for 34 2/3 innings between High-A and Triple-A and logged a 3.63 ERA, 6.5 K/9 and 4.4 BB/9.

8:45am: Phillips has passed the physical, reports Bowden, who notes that the trade still needs commissioner Rob Manfred’s approval (Twitter links here). The Braves will allow Phillips to carry his no-trade rights to Atlanta, and the club will also give him an assignment bonus, according to Bowden.

7:45am: The trade is complete, per ESPN’s Buster Olney. The names of the minor leaguers going to Cincinnati won’t be released until Phillips passes a physical, which isn’t a “slam dunk,” relays ESPN’s Jim Bowden.

6:50am: The deal is close to done, and the Reds will receive two players in return, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com (Twitter link).

SATURDAY, 11:09pm: The two sides are likely to complete the trade Sunday, per Rosenthal, who adds that the Reds will eat most of Phillips’ salary but won’t get much in return (Twitter link). The Braves enticed Phillips to accept the move by making some minor changes to his deal, tweets Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

10:30pm: The Reds and Braves are nearing a trade that would send second baseman Brandon Phillips from Cincinnati to Atlanta, reports FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal (Twitter link). Phillips has agreed to waive his no-trade rights, tweets USA Today’s Bob Nightengale.

Phillips previously blocked the Braves’ attempt to acquire him in January, which came after he shot down efforts from the Nationals and Diamondbacks to land him a year ago. But the 35-year-old has finally had a change of heart and looks set to head to his native Georgia, where he owns a home in Atlanta.

Phillips is entering a contract year and still has $14MM coming his way, though the Reds were reportedly willing to eat a large portion of that as of last month. By moving Phillips, the rebuilding Reds would open up playing time for young middle infielders Jose Peraza and Dilson Herrera. While Peraza fared well in a 256-plate appearance stint as a utilityman in 2016 (.324/.352/.411), Herrera hasn’t yet debuted with the Reds since they acquired him from the Mets for outfielder Jay Bruce last summer.

The Braves, meanwhile, seemingly picked up at least a part-time second base solution when they signed Sean Rodriguez as a free agent in November. However, Rodriguez needs left shoulder surgery thanks to a January car crash and will be out three to five months, according to Rosenthal (Twitter links). The right-handed Rodriguez could have platooned with the lefty-swinging Jace Peterson at the keystone. That role might now go to the righty-hitting Phillips, who has historically performed better against southpaws (.284/.332/.455) than same-handed pitchers (.271/.315/.409).

The three-time All-Star obviously doesn’t carry an alarming platoon split, though, and is coming off yet another fairly productive offensive season. Across 584 PAs in 2016, Phillips slashed a decent .291/.320/.416 and simultaneously exceeded double-digit home runs and stolen bases (11 and 14) for the ninth time. On the other hand, the normally adept defender’s production in the field declined sharply, as Phillips registered minus-7 Defensive Runs Saved and a minus-2.1 Ultimate Zone Rating after recording positive marks in each category from 2007-15. Still, he should serve as a capable stopgap for an Atlanta franchise that’s counting down to the beginning of the Ozzie Albies era.

For Cincinnati, Phillips’ exit will bring about the end of a long and fruitful tenure that began in 2006. The Reds acquired Phillips from the Indians that year in exchange for a player to be named later (right-hander Jeff Stevens), which undoubtedly counts among the best trades in the history of the Cincy franchise. Phillips hit .279/.325/.429, swatted 191 home runs, stole 194 bases and racked up 31.7 fWAR over 6,899 trips to the plate with the Reds from 2006-16. He also never played in fewer than 121 games in any of his 11 seasons as a member of the club, and he exceeded the 140-game plateau 10 times – including in 2016. Along the way, Phillips helped the Reds to three playoff berths, the first of which came in 2010 and broke a 14-year drought.

The Reds have now gone three straight years without a postseason trip, and given that they’re not close to returning to contention, general manager **** Williams will go in another direction. Phillips’ departure will make superstar first baseman Joey Votto the Reds’ longest-tenured player.