silentbob1272

The Trump Presidency

14,158 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Trump's had three weeks to produce evidence to support his accusation.  He hasn't.  His own DOJ, FBI, and NSA just said that his accusation was false.  He lied.  And he tried to drag Germany and the UK into his lie.  

His credibility is shot.  For his own sake, he needs to apologize and learn a lesson about being factually accurate.  

He should have produced evidence that he said he had in which case he may have bluffed one time too many.  If he doesn't give up what he said he had soon then some form of what you said in the bold may be his best course of action and it will be forgotten.  He won't be the first POTUS to make such a mistake, better than not compounding the situation, if indeed he cannot prove himself.  

1 minute ago, mdrake34 said:

I almost wish Obama would sue him for libel, but it would just cause further division in this country (which is the last thing we need), I think he would have a hard time proving economic harm (because only hardcore Trump supporters believed it), and I doubt Obama wants to go through the discovery process. 

True that.  I do wish that Obama would make a public statement about this if Trump keeps touting his lie.

8 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The Russian collusion accusation thing happened long before...yes, I believe it is that petty so on that charge I agree with you

I could be wrong but I don't think they would be there talking about Russia today if Trump had not tweeted that nonsense. It certainly did not help that he doubled down on it despite anyone with any credibility having said it's baseless. It's typical partisan politics though... the "Russia thing" is really not anything unique or extra whiney.

If you can sit there and tell me you wouldn't be doing the exact same thing if Hillary won and it were her ties to Russia being examined, then I have a blunt and unfriendly retort for it.

Leon Troutsky likes this

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

He should have produced evidence that he said he had in which case he may have bluffed one time too many.  If he doesn't give up what he said he had soon then some form of what you said in the bold may be his best course of action and it will be forgotten.  He won't be the first POTUS to make such a mistake, better than not compounding the situation, if indeed he cannot prove himself.  

He's the first president in modern history to falsely accuse his predecessor of a felony and then refuse to back it up with any evidence while his own intelligence community publicly declared that his accusation was false.

That hasn't happened in the past century.  He doesn't have any evidence.  The FBI, DOJ, and NSA said he has no evidence.  He lied.  He needs to man up and apologize for lying.  

Otherwise, he's destroyed his credibility among the American public AND around the world.

mdrake34 likes this

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

True that.  I do wish that Obama would make a public statement about this if Trump keeps touting his lie.

He's already denied it through a spokesperson.  If I were him, I don't know that I would say anything else because Trump will just tweet about it.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

He's the first president in modern history to falsely accuse his predecessor of a felony and then refuse to back it up with any evidence while his own intelligence community publicly declared that his accusation was false.

That hasn't happened in the past century.  He doesn't have any evidence.  The FBI, DOJ, and NSA said he has no evidence.  He lied.  He needs to man up and apologize for lying.  

Otherwise, he's destroyed his credibility among the American public AND around the world.

didn't I just say this?  In other words if Trump doesn't have something he can produce immediately then he should address his false accusation now as being a mistake.  

Just now, mdrake34 said:

He's already denied it through a spokesperson.  If I were him, I don't know that I would say anything else because Trump will just tweet about it.

Yeah, probably.  My biggest concern about this whole **** storm is that Trump is coming across as unhinged from reality and completely delusional.  He's coming across as a lying conspiracy nut with this stuff.  That's very dangerous in terms of foreign policy and his ability to govern in a crisis.  

This situation - Trump constantly lying and making false conspiracy theories - is not sustainable.  

1 minute ago, mdrake34 said:

Not because he sucks and has no business starting in the NFL... but because the President might tweet something. JFC really?

falconsd56 and lostone like this

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

didn't I just say this?  In other words if Trump doesn't have something he can produce immediately then he should address his false accusation now as being a mistake.  

He's had three weeks.

Leon Troutsky likes this

59 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Also, this op-ed piece by a moderate Republican makes a good point:

Perhaps now Republicans can stop treating the president’s outbursts seriously. They need to call them what they are: Wild lies and accusations designed to distract from the very real investigation into Russian attempts to throw the election his way. In just a few brief lines, Comey eviscerated whatever credibility Trump still had. Whether the intelligence agency will find evidence of collusion remains to be seen. But what we do know is that Trump will not be able to lie his way through this nor distract the public.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/03/20/comeys-testimony-humiliates-trump/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.e34fecf4236a

Right the same DoJ that met with Clinton during an investigation started a investigation of Trump that has provided no evidence. Seems legit!

1 minute ago, Sobeit said:

Right the same DoJ that met with Clinton during an investigation started a investigation of Trump that has provided no evidence. Seems legit!

Do they usually disclose findings before an investigation concludes? Seems too many people have already decided one way or the other, honestly.

Leon Troutsky likes this

1 minute ago, Sobeit said:

Sessions runs the DOJ now.  So there's that.

Leon Troutsky likes this

4 minutes ago, Carter said:

I could be wrong but I don't think they would be there talking about Russia today if Trump had not tweeted that nonsense. It certainly did not help that he doubled down on it despite anyone with any credibility having said it's baseless. It's typical partisan politics though... the "Russia thing" is really not anything unique or extra whiney.

If you can sit there and tell me you wouldn't be doing the exact same thing if Hillary won and it were her ties to Russia being examined, then I have a blunt and unfriendly retort for it.

I think that is petty.  Would I have cried, rioted, looted, and continually attack Hillary over her victory,  The short answer is no.  Grown people move on and support the new POTUS and hope they do well..The same thing I did when Obama was elected the first time until he gave me enough reason not to support his policies any further.  Even then I wasn't on a relentless attack or on an around the clock vitual to get him impeached, that's just what confused high-strung people do.  

4 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I think that is petty.  Would I have cried, rioted, looted, and continually attack Hillary over her victory,  The short answer is no.  Grown people move on and support the new POTUS and hope they do well..The same thing I did when Obama was elected the first time until he gave me enough reason not to support his policies any further.  Even then I wasn't on a relentless attack or on an around the clock vitual to get him impeached, that's just what confused high-strung people do.  

I obviously was not implying the most extreme behavior. You continue defensively applying these most extreme scenarios in a blanket fashion. I'm quite certain you (and many others) would be relentlessly calling her a traitor and not being shy about your hopes that she get sacked. I mean it happened over emails and an unauthorized server.

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

I obviously was not implying the most extreme behavior. You continue defensively applying these most extreme scenarios in a blanket fashion. I'm quite certain you (and many others) would be relentlessly calling her a traitor and not being shy about your hopes that she get sacked. I mean it happened over emails and an unauthorized server.

You are totally wrong here.  I never cried for her to be locked up, never wanted her prosecuted, never called her a traitor.  I also did not want her to be POTUS because I felt she was incompetent and untrustworthy.  I basically wanted her to fade away and relieve us Clinton politics forever.  

33 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Yeah, probably.  My biggest concern about this whole **** storm is that Trump is coming across as unhinged from reality and completely delusional.  He's coming across as a lying conspiracy nut with this stuff.  That's very dangerous in terms of foreign policy and his ability to govern in a crisis.  

This situation - Trump constantly lying and making false conspiracy theories - is not sustainable.  

Why is it not sustainable ? Trump has been getting away with it for 70 years.

2 minutes ago, toadfishtom said:

Because it won't work in the courtroom. 

1 minute ago, toadfishtom said:

Because he's the President of the United States and everything he says has international impact.  Now that we, our allies, and our enemies know that he will casually lie about something as serious as accusing the former president of a felony, it's going to undermine his credibility abroad.  It's going to hurt his and the GOP's credibility with the public.  Republicans in Congress are already fed up with his nonsense...that's what today's hearing was all about.  I don't see how he keeps doing this long-term.

big_dog and atl falcon 89 like this

1 minute ago, toadfishtom said:

Maybe so but now he's POTUS and should try and act like a human being. (doubt he knows how)

Leon Troutsky likes this