Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheTrue7

December Hawks thread

167 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

But for some reason, Cleveland can manage to get around that cap. Another thing, the Hawks, when they DO have the money, throw it at the wrong players. Baze should've never got that kind of money. Dennis either. They make bad moves...

Kyrie has been there a while.

Let me add another loophole, trades. Love was a trade that had a contract that had a high caphold.

And no, Dennis isn't a bad move unless he doesn't take a step forward. Baze was and should have been allowed to walk. Signing Eric Gordon would've been a better move.

I mean Dennis is not getting the extension money yet. He's still getting rookie money, 2.5ish million. And if his performance stays about the same with the team performing better, it'd get at a minimum......the money he was given. Be real. This is not 1996.

Committing to Dennis is a slight step back but a potential step forward in the long haul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Kyrie has been there a while.

Let me add another loophole, trades. Love was a trade that had a contract that had a high caphold.

And no, Dennis isn't a bad move unless he doesn't take a step forward. Baze was and should have been allowed to walk. Signing Eric Gordon would've been a better move.

I mean Dennis is not getting the extension money yet. He's still getting rookie money, 2.5ish million. And if his performance stays about the same with the team performing better, it'd get at a minimum......the money he was given. Be real. This is not 1996.

Committing to Dennis is a slight step back but a potential step forward in the long haul.

Whatever. Nothing against what you said because you are correct, but the Fowls have had since 1970 to win a championship. I'm almost done with Georgia sports. Every year, its the same thing...

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is struggling because Howard refuses to show aggressiveness. He should easily clean the boards. His hustle is so frustrating at times but I also understand if he does try, opponents start flopping like fish out of water. Just watching them struggle against non playoff teams is unacceptable.

However, I also believe that they don't feed him when he has his man pinned under the rim. You have to keep him engaged or he will gladly run up and down the court exercising for a paycheck. Coach Bud should either scratch the passing principles to run the offense through Millsap or Howard or use pick and rolls and force the defense to react.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to .500! That 1-10 stretch was brutal...  At 9-2 I thought 60 wins was a real possibility, but that would be remarkable now. Somewhere in the 42-45 win range would be okay with me. I wouldn't be super happy, but it's not just awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Outside of Dennis and Sap nobody else is doing sh1t.

As those two go, so goes the team. Like I said, we need Shroder and Millsap to shoulder most of the scoring load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Guest Pop said:

This team is struggling because Howard refuses to show aggressiveness. He should easily clean the boards. His hustle is so frustrating at times but I also understand if he does try, opponents start flopping like fish out of water. Just watching them struggle against non playoff teams is unacceptable.

However, I also believe that they don't feed him when he has his man pinned under the rim. You have to keep him engaged or he will gladly run up and down the court exercising for a paycheck. Coach Bud should either scratch the passing principles to run the offense through Millsap or Howard or use pick and rolls and force the defense to react.

What, scratch the passing principle? You don't scratch what has made us, the Spurs, and the Warriors successful.

jayu70 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

As those two go, so goes the team. Like I said, we need Shroder and Millsap to shoulder most of the scoring load.

Agreed but I still think you have to get Howard more engaged in the offense.  Mainly he's being used to set the high ball screen then roll to the basket but sometimes I would like to see him post up on the block and draw double team then kick out to shooters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Agreed but I still think you have to get Howard more engaged in the offense.  Mainly he's being used to set the high ball screen then roll to the basket but sometimes I would like to see him post up on the block and draw double team then kick out to shooters.  

The problem with Howard posting up is that when the ball does get to him, it doesn't ever seem to go anywhere else. As much as we hate on Horford around here, we grew to take his passing ability for granted all these years. We've gotten a considerable upgrade in rebounding with Dwight here but it's hard to deny what we've had to sacrifice to get it, which is ball movement on offense.

Time will tell how these Hawks will grow down the line. It's still early to be for sure, although we've seen the probable shortcomings already. But even the greatest teams in the league have taken longer than this to start to mesh. I still have faith in Bud, so I remain optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Libid21 said:

The problem with Howard posting up is that when the ball does get to him, it doesn't ever seem to go anywhere else. As much as we hate on Horford around here, we grew to take his passing ability for granted all these years. We've gotten a considerable upgrade in rebounding with Dwight here but it's hard to deny what we've had to sacrifice to get it, which is ball movement on offense.

Time will tell how these Hawks will grow down the line. It's still early to be for sure, although we've seen the probable shortcomings already. But even the greatest teams in the league have taken longer than this to start to mesh. I still have faith in Bud, so I remain optimistic.

Its Georgia sports man...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man another lost. Orlando is a garbage team but the hawks made them look like contenders. I think this team needs some shake up. Dennis is too damm inconsistent to run this team and baze looks like a different player after his new contract. I just can't see this team breaking out of this funk unless a change or two is made.:sadwave:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Man another lost. Orlando is a garbage team but the hawks made them look like contenders. I think this team needs some shake up. Dennis is too damm inconsistent to run this team and baze looks like a different player after his new contract. I just can't see this team breaking out of this funk unless a change or two is made.:sadwave:

Orlando was hitting everything tonight.  That was a bs technical on Dwight.  I agree with you.  Players got paid now they just there.  Korver needs to go.  Splitter was a waste.  Bud needs to make a system shakeup, they player shake up worked but feed the big boys.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thing really is as simple as Kyle Korver and Kent Bazemore need Al Horford so they can be hidden defensively on the PNR and get set shots or receive the ball when they cut because they can't create their own.

With Kent/Kyle/Muscala out there (and even Howard), the Hawks are thoroughly hopeless on the PNR on defense. All you have to do is constantly run PNR or switches to get your best offensive player on Kyle and you're going to get an all you can eat buffet on offense all night long when they're in.

Even if Jeff Teague were here hypothetically with Malcolm Delaney it wouldn't help. Kent and Kyle are hungry. They miss Al Horford terribly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 9-2 start really seems like it was a long time ago. I still believe in Schroder, but there are so many issues with this team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Defensive effort failing Hawks since hot start


 5 comments 
 
This Hawks team no longer knows who it is.

by Kris Willis@Kris_Willis   Dec 14, 2016, 8:00am EST

Coming into this season, it looked like things could be challenging for the Atlanta Hawks on the offensive end of the floor. They sunk to the lower half of the league in offensive efficiency during the 2016 season and none of the changes they made over the summer did much to move the needle on the offensive end.

Their calling card however, was on the defensive side and the addition of Dwight Howard appeared to have given them the rim protecting presence that they had lacked for a long time. They flexed their muscles early during a 9-2 start and looked like they might be league’s top defensive unit. Since then they have lost 11 of their last 14 games and while the offense has predictably struggled, their calling card defense has vanished and that was never more apparent than in Tuesday’s 131-120 loss to the Orlando Magic.

“Give Orlando a lot of credit. They had a lot of guys individually play really well,” Mike Budenholzer told reporters after the game. “I thought they made a lot of shots. I’m sure we can be better defensively.”

It would be easy to laugh this off as a silly one-game performance if that was actually the case. Orlando came into Tuesday night with a 29 ranked offense and proceeded to shoot 59 percent from the floor including a 15 of 34 mark from three-point range. The Hawks have now allowed at least 100 points in eight of their last nine games. Whatever momentum they had built early on the defensive end of the court is long gone and this is now a team without an identity.

We need to be better defensively,” Budenholzer added. One-hundred and thirty-one points is never acceptable. They had several guys individually that had some good nights. I thought the turnovers, in addition to their good play, you couple that with the turnovers and the easy baskets in transition, and they end up with 131.”

Atlanta “only” turned the ball over 15 times in this game which is two below their season average. However, the Magic were able to turn those extra opportunities into 26 points. Atlanta’s change in philosophy regarding crashing the offensive glass has come at a price. Their once vaunted transition defense has been getting shredded of late as a result.

The frustrating part of this night is that it wasted one of their best offensive performances of the season. When the Hawks score 120 points, they should be settling into a blowout not scrambling to keep themselves within striking distance.

Our offense was good,” Kyle Korver said after the game. “Overall, we’re still ranked pretty high on the defensive end of the floor. Tonight we gave up 131? That’s too many. It’s way too many. Offensively I thought we were alright. Obviously you have to score a lot of points if you give up 130.”

The Magic may be hard pressed to duplicate this offensive performance again this season. Once they got rolling, it didn’t look it mattered if a Hawks defender was in the area or not. Still, it is on the Hawks to set the tone early especially at home and allowing 35 points in the first quarter to a bad offensive team was a good indication as to what was coming.

“They made a lot of tough shots,” Tim Hardaway Jr. said of his team’s defensive performance. “You have Elfrid Payton making a floater with the shot clock running down. It’s just that type of night. They did a great job. Give them credit.”

“We have to do a better job on the defensive end, help each other out on the defensive end.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0