K26dp

Braves Roster Speculation for 2017

641 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, JDFIII said:

I like Castro. Not sure Houston will let him get away.

Castro has been awful the last 2 or 3 years. There's a reason the Astros put Gattis back at catcher this year. Braves would be better off going with Flowers and Recker than signing Castro.

TheTrue7 likes this

On 9/16/2016 at 0:10 PM, Unkn0wn said:

DOB says it is possible the Braves keep the OF as it is and have Mallex as the #4 OF. He said they "love" Kemp being behind Freeman and are confident he'll be in better shape come Spring. He says they also love the leadership, consistant and steady approach of Markakis. DOB adds that for the Braves to move anyone in the OF they will have to get a very strong offer.

This is the way that the hot streak at the end of the season could hurt us. It could persuade the Braves to misjudge what we already have, which isn't much.

15 minutes ago, jidady said:

This is the way that the hot streak at the end of the season could hurt us. It could persuade the Braves to misjudge what we already have, which isn't much.

50-47 over the last 97 games of the season is more than just a hot finish. There's a reason they did that. It's because the talent level did improve (Kemp, Swanson, ect) and the current players (Wisler, Folty, ect) showed improvement. The Braves aren't as far off as you might think. Braves didn't just start winning games by accident.

Slappywhite likes this

3 hours ago, jidady said:

I actually agree with you to some extent. There's no reason to believe that everyone hot at the end of the season won't regress. If the Braves get any kind of good offer for Kemp or Markakis in particular, they shouldn't jump on it.

The rebuild is going well, I really hope they don't blow it this close to the finish line.

13 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I actually agree with you to some extent. There's no reason to believe that everyone hot at the end of the season won't regress. If the Braves get any kind of good offer for Kemp or Markakis in particular, they shouldn't jump on it.

The rebuild is going well, I really hope they don't blow it this close to the finish line.

I presume you meant to type should there, and I completely agree with you (if so). Flipping Kemp to an AL team is the play. I worry that the front office believes they'll get the Matt Kemp of September for all of 2017.

Two months ago, we were talking as if we were getting a 3B, a catcher, two starters, and an OFer. I'm sure part of this is a negotiating tactic to prove that we're not desperate. I worry that we'll buy into it over the course of the next two months, though.

I think its safe to say that Coppy isnt afraid to deal. I can still see Markakis getting moved. Kemp is a little harder but you never know. I do think 3B is indeed going to end up being some combination of Garica and Ruiz. 

50 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Agreed.

Braves To Interview Ron Washington, Bud Black

By Charlie Wilmoth | October 5, 2016 at 12:54pm CDT

WEDNESDAY: Washington will sit down with the Atlanta brass today, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com tweets.

MONDAY: The Braves will interview Ron Washington and Bud Black for their managerial vacancy, MLB.com’s Mark Bowman (all Twitter links). At last check, the Braves had already interviewed four internal candidates: interim manager Brian Snitker, bench coach Terry Pendleton, first base coach Eddie Perez and third base coach Bo Porter.

3 hours ago, jidady said:

I presume you meant to type should there, and I completely agree with you (if so).

Yep, mis-type.

Next season still needs to be a season of discovery. I wouldn't be going out there and saying “we're acquiring at least two, if not three starting pitchers” and then turning around and saying “we're satisfied at third base”. The latter phrase makes the former seem like a smoke screen to actually “competing in 2017”, IMHO. (No offense to Garcia, I think he's a major league bat but he's not a starter, he should be a utility player)

I'm not meaning don't make moves at all but I wouldn't make a big move that required top prospects. I'd sign 1 starting pitcher, sign Castro or trade one mid level prospect for a catcher that has fallen out of favor or is blocked, and otherwise, do almost nothing. Maybe pick up a “grizzled” veteran to be a mentor off the bench.

If they insist on keeping Markakis and Kemp, this is my preferred lineup and rotation next season (not necessarily immediately):

Inciarte – CF

Swanson – SS

Freeman – 1B

Kemp – LF

Markakis – RF

Garcia/Ruiz – 3B

Albies – 2B

Castro, Barnes, or Plawecki/Flowers – C (Not necessarily a platoon! I'd prefer Flowers as a BU)

Teheran

Foltynewicz

Nova (or insert your favorite veteran pitcher in FA)

Wisler

Pick one from Whalen/Blair/Newcomb/Jenkins

The lineup in theory is good 1-7, but with the rotation it's going almost nowhere unless Wisler takes a BIIIGGG step forward. But the thing is, Coppy made his bed here by sitting on his hands in LAST year's FA. He needs to lay in it and give the youngsters a chance instead of making a panic move to try to "compete".

Nobody has said anything about 3 SP. Coppy has been pretty consistant with saying he wants to add 2 SP and a catcher. In this years market there isnt much available at 3B. That would be the panic move. Paying too much money or prospects to get someone that isnt that much better than Garcia. Justin Turner would be nice but he's getting slapped with the QO and would cost a good chunk of money and a draft pick. 

It will be interesting to see where the Braves turn on getting those starting pitchers. On the face of it, it's not that earth shattering. After all, the Braves broke camp with Bud Norris and Jhoulys Chacin in the rotation this year. The Braves could simply pick up a couple of scrap-heap guys like that again to flip or discard as warranted.

But the emphatic nature of Coppolella's statements feel like he's looking for a top-of-the-rotation guy with 3+ years of control, and he's got the prospects to go get one without clearing out the cupboard. As we've discussed, with the team essentially as configured, that should put the Braves firmly in the 70-win bracket next season, maybe the high 70s if things break the team's way. I think that would be satisfactory to most fans, the FO can point to improvement, and buy time for the higher ceiling prospects.

Upgrading catcher is more daunting. I really don't know what they're going to do there.

10 minutes ago, jidady said:

The McCann reunion makes too much sense not to happen.

It does seem like it. The main possible wrinkle is McCann's no-trade clause. He may demand some sort of recompense to waive it, like his option year picked up.

Im not sure we'll match up on McCann. The Braves are only willing to cover half his salary and the Yankees want too much in return for the money. The Yankees do have holes at DH and 1B that McCann can help fill even if they sign Encarnacion.

5 hours ago, K26dp said:

It will be interesting to see where the Braves turn on getting those starting pitchers. On the face of it, it's not that earth shattering. After all, the Braves broke camp with Bud Norris and Jhoulys Chacin in the rotation this year. The Braves could simply pick up a couple of scrap-heap guys like that again to flip or discard as warranted.

But the emphatic nature of Coppolella's statements feel like he's looking for a top-of-the-rotation guy with 3+ years of control, and he's got the prospects to go get one without clearing out the cupboard. As we've discussed, with the team essentially as configured, that should put the Braves firmly in the 70-win bracket next season, maybe the high 70s if things break the team's way. I think that would be satisfactory to most fans, the FO can point to improvement, and buy time for the higher ceiling prospects.

Upgrading catcher is more daunting. I really don't know what they're going to do there.

I expect Coppy to make good and get the Braves a big name starting pitcher to pair with Teheran and Folty. I'm expecting a Huddy type deal and I'll be disappointed if that doesn't happen. Get us a big time starter and the Braves can contend for a playoff spot in 2017.

I've put together a WS winning team on my new MLB 16 Braves franchise.

LINEUP

1. Ender Inciarte - CF
  2. Josh Donaldson - 3B
  3. Freddie Freeman - 1B
  4. Justin Upton - LF
  5. Corey Dickerson - RF
  6. Evan Longoria - 2B
  7. Dansby Swanson - SS
  8. James McCann - C

BENCH

• Kelly Johnson
  • Jace Peterson
  • Jeff Francoeur
  • Anthony Recker

ROTATION

• Julio Teheran
  • Matt Moore
  • Aaron Sanchez
  • Mike Foltynewicz
  • Matt Wisler

BULLPEN

• Daniel Winkler
  • Pedro Baez
  • Drew Storen
  • Arodys Vizcaino
  • Mike Dunn
  • Carter Capps
  • Tyler Clippard
  • Greg Holland

A man can dream right? That'd be a World Series winning team right there!! The joys of video games!! LOL! :D

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

A question if a team could win a World Series in the real world with Evan Longoria playing 2B. 

I think Evan Longoria could play 2B. He was a SS in college and moved to 3B after the Rays drafted him. He's athletic enough to handle 2B.

2 starting pitchers and a catcher would be a good start. We have the pieces to trade for a solid SP and a catcher. 

I like the idea of bringing McCann back. That would give an opening day lineup of:

1. Inciarte, CF

2. Swanson, SS

3. Freeman, 1B

4. Kemp, LF

5. Markakis, RF

6. McCann, C

7. Garcia, 3B

8. Peterson, 2B 

That's not a bad lineup. I doubt we will see Albeis starting on opening day, but maybe we will. Peterson is good enough for now. I hate moving Garcia to 7th, but it would be nice to have some solid hitting at the back end of the lineup. I also think we will hang onto Markasis and Kemp. If they do move on from either of them, Mallex Smith would go into one of the lineup spots.

I don't know if we will contend for a playoff spot or not next year, but we will be a better team.

Projected arbitration salaries courtesy of MLB Trade Rumors

• Josh Collmenter (5.110) – $2.2MM
  • Anthony Recker (4.000) – $1.0MM
  • Arodys Vizcaino (3.168) – $1.6MM
  • Paco Rodriguez (3.120) – $900K
  • Chris Withrow (3.111) – $1.2MM
  • Ender Inciarte (2.157) – $2.8MM
  • Ian Krol (2.138) – $1.0MM

Also, DOB says that even with Johnson locked in they view Viz as the closer in 2017. Could change but they'll head to Spring in those roles.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Also, DOB says that even with Johnson locked in they view Viz as the closer in 2017. Could change but they'll head to Spring in those roles.

IMO that is ludicrous!! Arodys Vizcaino should have to earn the closer's role back because he pitched so bad that on most teams he would have been yanked from the closer's role for his performance. But it took him getting hurt to get him off the field with the Braves.