K26dp

Braves Roster Speculation for 2017

641 posts in this topic

I really think the key to a major improvement in the offense is moving Nick Markakis and replacing him with someone that would bring a major power presence to the lineup. I wish the Braves would have jumped on Jay Bruce because the asking price the Reds had on him was very reasonable.

I could live with Flowers/Avila at catcher and Garcia/Peterson or Garcia/Ruiz at 3B.

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That would be solid too.

Yeah if your gonna spend money at 3rd Base might as well go all out and get someone who contributes much more then Prado offensively. The Power/Catching options just aren't great in FA and any trades aren't going to make a huge gain from catching spot.

Give me Turner, A trade for a young catcher to platoon and eventually takeover the spot eventually, Doug Fister, and resign Jim Johnson as a vet arm for the bullpen

I would imagine Adonis/Markakis/Ruiz would be strong candidates for a trade at some point in the off sense as well with a Turner signing I think particular Markakis and Ruiz built up decent trade stock going into the offseason.

Edited by malak07

Moving on to starting pitchers, here's the free agent class of 2016:

FA Pitchers.png

To say the is list is uninspiring is to do injustice to truly uninspiring things. Like Burger King coffee. The lack of quality option likely will mean inflation across the board, as teams desperately hope that somehow, someway, Scott Kazmir may the missing piece to their playoff run.

To narrow down this list, I am going to assume the Braves will be pushing for a starting pitcher that they actually intend to increase their win total, not someone they can get on a short-term deal and flip during the season, a la Bud Norris. 

Rich Hill has been the best of the starting pitcher free agents this season, despite dealing with a number of nagging injuries. At his age and injury history he represents a high-risk signing. On the flip side, his ERA over the last year has been under 2.00. If he can even make 25 starts, that would be shot in the arm to the rotation, and could be a boost of 2-3 WAR.

Gio Gonzalez has a $12M team option on him which the Nats may pick up. If they don't, $12M per year is probably a fair value for a mid-rotation starter who keeps his team in games and usually is able to go to the post. Again, probably a 2-3 WAR boost. But it's not going to happen. In this market, the Nats will exercise the option.

CC Sabathia really isn't that good of a pitcher anymore. He's been roughly major league average this season after three consecutive seasons of poor pitching. At age 36, we don't want that track record.

Bartolo Colon just keeps on going, and amazingly has become sort of a national treasure. There were rumors of the Braves kicking the tires on Colon last off-season, but at this point it seems unlikely that Colon would be interested in playing anywhere but New York.

Jeremy Hellickson seemed like the classic case of a rebuilding team taking on a veteran who's best days were behind him, refurbishing him, and selling him at the deadline. A funny thing happened in that plan though, the Phillies didn't sell him, and claim that they plan on giving him a qualifying offer. If they do, Hellickson should take it and have a merry Christmas. 

Doug Fister has become a popular target in Braves fandom lately, I guess because he's a familiar name from his time with Washington and that he's had a decent season for Houston. To be honest, I'm not buying it. His type of skill set doesn't age well (remember Derek Lowe?), and some team will probably offer a four year deal. 

Jaime Garcia has teased the Cardinals and their fans with some pretty nice runs of good pitching interspersed with near-career-ending injuries. This season he's been healthy, but fairly mediocre. The same can also be said about the rest of the Cards' rotation. The Cards hold a $12M option on Garcia which they'll probably pick up, but there's a chance they may let Garcia go to make room for Alex Reyes next season. If so... I could see the Braves making a run at Garcia, but it will be the length of the contract offers that would probably make signing unlikely.

Jason Hammel is another club-option guy, this time for $10M. He's come back to earth after getting off to a blistering start, but for $10M he would be a bargin.

If Nova keeps up his current pace since being traded a lot of teams will focus on him. I dont see anyone on that list worth investing in.

3 hours ago, malak07 said:

Yeah if your gonna spend money at 3rd Base might as well go all out and get someone who contributes much more then Prado offensively. The Power/Catching options just aren't great in FA and any trades aren't going to make a huge gain from catching spot.

Give me Turner, A trade for a young catcher to platoon and eventually takeover the spot eventually, Doug Fister, and resign Jim Johnson as a vet arm for the bullpen

I would imagine Adonis/Markakis/Ruiz would be strong candidates for a trade at some point in the off sense as well with a Turner signing I think particular Markakis and Ruiz built up decent trade stock going into the offseason.

I do wonder what has gotten into Turner since going to the Dodgers. This power came out of nowhere. He never posted a slugging percentage over .400 with the Mets and then he goes to the Dodgers and all of a sudden he's got 3 straight years of over .490. Where'd that come from? It does raise a bit of a red flag with me. Had he hit like this with the Mets they would have never moved on from him with all their offensive issues they've had for years now.

Speaking of which, I had no idea Turner started his career with the Reds organization and was traded along with Ryan Freel to the O's for Ramon Hernandez.

I don't think you can count on Rich Hill giving you 25 starts though. Not with his injury history. It's amazing his track record. I also do wonder what he's all of a sudden discovered at this late, late, late stage of his career that's allowed him to pitch so great when he actually manages to take the ball.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

If Nova keeps up his current pace since being traded a lot of teams will focus on him. I dont see anyone on that list worth investing in.

As with anything, it depends on the price. For example, I liked Nova as a potential buy-low candidate because his peripherals have been pretty good, but his recent success probably will put him in a contract length range that would be uncomfortable.

9 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

According to Heyman the Braves are also interested in Jason Castro 

Jason Castro is an interesting name. He at one point was one of the better hitting catchers in baseball but has really fallen off.

• 2012 - .257/.334/.401
  • 2013 - .276/.350/.485
  • 2014 - .222/.286/.366
  • 2015 - .211/.283/.365
  • 2016 - .218/.322/.389

Yeah, im not sure how I feel about Castro. He has potential but he's fallen. Houston had to make Gattis into a catcher again because of his struggles this year.

On August 30, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Unkn0wn said:

In a weak market and his new numbers in Pittsburgh I am scared of Nova's market value

I'd rather have el oso blanco back

Yeah, im not sure how I feel about Castro. He has potential but he's fallen. Houston had to make Gattis into a catcher again because of his struggles this year.

By the metrics at least, he's fallen off defensively as well.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Mark Bowman tackled some 2017 questions today. He said the Braves dont want to lose a pick so anyone getting a QO would hurt the Braves interest. He says the Braves will look at 3B but will not make a long term deal that blocks Austin Riley. Ruiz will be evaluated as a platoon option at 3B. He guessed the Braves will make a run at Ivan Nova. He said the market and QO for Ramos will likely keep the Braves away and the Braves have never showed interest in Wieters. They'll likely look to acquire or sign a more reasonable FA to pair with Flowers. He also added in Inciarte isnt going anywhere unless the offer is "ridiculous". To which he says "the Padres and Dbacks probably arent taking Coppy's calls anymore."

TheTrue7 likes this

58 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mark Bowman tackled some 2017 questions today. He said the Braves dont want to lose a pick so anyone getting a QO would hurt the Braves interest. He says the Braves will look at 3B but will not make a long term deal that blocks Austin Riley. Ruiz will be evaluated as a platoon option at 3B. He guessed the Braves will make a run at Ivan Nova. He said the market and QO for Ramos will likely keep the Braves away and the Braves have never showed interest in Wieters. They'll likely look to acquire or sign a more reasonable FA to pair with Flowers. He also added in Inciarte isnt going anywhere unless the offer is "ridiculous". To which he says "the Padres and Dbacks probably arent taking Coppy's calls anymore."

Austin Riley is still 2 or 3 years away. We could try to get Prado or Turner on a 3-year deal but they'll probably get a longer-term deal than that.

I wonder why:lol:

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Austin Riley is still 2 or 3 years away. We could try to get Prado or Turner on a 3-year deal but they'll probably get a longer-term deal than that.

Turner at least will demand (and probably get) a 5-year deal after the season's he's having. 

I think right now I'd pick up a veteran starter (that could possibly be flipped later in the summer if he pitches well), trade for a catcher or sign Jason Castro, possibly look into a move at 3B, and otherwise roll with it.

This would be my preference:

Trade Max Povse for Austin Barnes or Travis d'Arnaud. Throw in Johan Camargo if needed but I think one mid level pitching prospect should do it for both.

Sign Ivan Nova.

Look to trade Nick Markakis for a mid level pitching prospect and some salary relief, I'm not sure to who though.

Do nothing at 3B for now.

Lineup at least at the start of next year:

Inciarte – RF

Swanson – SS

Freeman – 1B

Kemp – LF

Ruiz/Garcia – 3B

Peterson (Albies if everything goes as well as I hope) – 2B

Barnes or d'Arnaud – C

Smith – CF

Rotation:

Julio Teheran

Mike Foltynewicz

Matt Wisler

Ivan Nova

Someone from the group of Whalen/Gant/Newcomb/Sims

I'll think of a post with some bolder moves later but if the pitching works out well, I don't see that being a terrible team (especially with the bullpen I didn't post about). It's probably not a good team either but one that is about average.

Edited by VoiceofReason95