Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mdrake34

New dog day!

111 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2017 at 10:21 PM, Billy Ocean said:

tumblr_ok3khoDZ9K1uy5yfdo1_500.gif

I really want a dog like this, but it wouldn't be fair to her to live in this climate.

I hear you and you are right.  I had an Alaskan Malamute about 50 years ago that I got as a puppy, I loved that dog, but the Virginia climate was just too warm for him.  He used to dig 2 and 3 foot holes in the back yard and lay down in them to keep cool.  My back yard looked like a small war zone.  I was told the dog needed a colder climate.  I think that was the best dog I ever had, it was sad that I had to give him up.  

Billy Ocean likes this

On 3/16/2017 at 9:21 PM, Billy Ocean said:

tumblr_ok3khoDZ9K1uy5yfdo1_500.gif

I really want a dog like this, but it wouldn't be fair to her to live in this climate.

they do come in two miniature forms

the klee kai which is literally Alaskan Huskies bred down to about 18 pounds

ed0b522b222d261cec03da66afea9e07.jpg

and a pomsky which is a cross between a Pomeranian and a husky

36d4f21052fdb1da2e30e61b92c6c68e.jpg 

Billy Ocean likes this

22 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

they do come in two miniature forms

the klee kai which is literally Alaskan Huskies bred down to about 18 pounds

ed0b522b222d261cec03da66afea9e07.jpg

and a pomsky which is a cross between a Pomeranian and a husky

36d4f21052fdb1da2e30e61b92c6c68e.jpg 

I like the miniatures, how do they handle climate?  My grandmother had Pomeranians and they were yappy ankle biters (hated those dogs) but that seems like a peculiar mixture, although they are cute.   

4 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I like the miniatures, how do they handle climate?  My grandmother had Pomeranians and they were yappy ankle biters (hated those dogs) but that seems like a peculiar mixture, although they are cute.   

both have an undercoat but handle the heat better than full size huskies. also easier for them to be an inside dog

WhenFalconsWin likes this

I've found two different huskies and returned them to their owners. They both had good temperaments. 

The people I've spoken with in Georgia who own these breeds say that they spend their summers lying on the bathroom floor.

mdrake34 likes this

On 3/18/2017 at 0:41 PM, Billy Ocean said:

I've found two different huskies and returned them to their owners. They both had good temperaments. 

The people I've spoken with in Georgia who own these breeds say that they spend their summers lying on the bathroom floor.

Mother in law has one she is about 10 years old now. She spends the summer months under My porch where she digs about two fooot down into the ground and stays there until the evening where she will go down to the pond and jump in. She stinks afterward,,,but at least she stays cooled off ...well as much as possible. They also have a baby pool for her to get into if she wants.

I've considered getting a Bouvier, but I'm balking for the same reason.  Our big dog is getting older, and we like having a more protective dog around the house (especially now that we're moving out into the country a bit).  But Bouvs are seriously large dogs with a thick double coat.  

I may go back to plan A and do like @dirtyhairy did and get a Doberman.  The one thing that keeps the Bouvier in the running is it will be an inside dog, but Georgia summers are brutal, and you have to give them exercise.  I don't want to be throwing a frisbee at 2 in the morning because it's too hot to run the dog during the day.

On 3/20/2017 at 3:45 PM, JDaveG said:

I've considered getting a Bouvier, but I'm balking for the same reason.  Our big dog is getting older, and we like having a more protective dog around the house (especially now that we're moving out into the country a bit).  But Bouvs are seriously large dogs with a thick double coat.  

I may go back to plan A and do like @dirtyhairy did and get a Doberman.  The one thing that keeps the Bouvier in the running is it will be an inside dog, but Georgia summers are brutal, and you have to give them exercise.  I don't want to be throwing a frisbee at 2 in the morning because it's too hot to run the dog during the day.

Jdave, if you're looking at Dobs, Shaddy Grove Kennels is where I got my 2. They are simply a great breed and inmo the best for my family and life style. The Doberman breed works very well for families as these dogs are incredibly smart, loyal and family protective. They also are not big shedder's, with their short hair.  Talk to G-dawg as well as he went down to Shaddy Grove and picked up a brilliant dog, whom we've had stay at our house a few times. You will never second guess yourself with 1 of these pups and I swear, they read moods and minds like No tomorrow.

Edited by dirtyhairy
JDaveG likes this

Mine loved the kitchen floor.  I'd let her out and when she had enough, she'd come in and lay down in the middle of the kitchen...lol  Biggest thing was the weekly brushing and shop-vacing...

Billy Ocean likes this

As an owner of Boston Terriers, I clearly don't choose breed for any type of utilitarian purpose.  With that being said, I've always liked Min-Pins.

2e8ed459f8bd80386ad828a3eb1fd844.jpg

7 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

As an owner of Boston Terriers, I clearly don't choose breed for any type of utilitarian purpose.  With that being said, I've always liked Min-Pins.

2e8ed459f8bd80386ad828a3eb1fd844.jpg

Make the move and get one.  I always wanted an Ocicat and it took my two cats dying within two years of each other (one was 20 years old) to get one.  One of the best things I ever did.  Getting something you really want...we should do that for ourselves more often

dark%20chocolate%202.jpg