Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECDawg78

July 2016 UGA Recruiting Thread

368 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Carter said:

And UGA's DBs are being coached by Bama's former coach who brought said improvement to their secondary.

It's a lot of talk by fans overreacting and posturing by Stevens. He's real close to Lecounte and Tucker. The worrisome part really is that Stevens hasn't been picking up the phone or returning calls.

Bama can make a strong pitch to anyone they want and have the track record to get it done, but personally I'm gonna ride this one out a little longer before considering him gone. He hasn't committed yet and no matter who he commits to it won't be over.

No one is truly "gone" until they sign that NLI, but it's still disheartening to see all these CBs sending him Bama, after it seemed like he was pretty much locked up.

It's the same thing with Solomon and Lawrence, the longer we go without any positive news regarding us and a prospect in recruiting, the more worrisome it gets, and CBs to the bad guys, needless to say, doesn't help things.

Meanwhile on a more positive note (we need it), Rusty with CBs today sending us that 2019 TE we just offered, Ryland Goede, as well as one for Dominick Blaylock to us.

4 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

No one is truly "gone" until they sign that NLI, but it's still disheartening to see all these CBs sending him Bama, after it seemed like he was pretty much locked up.

It's the same thing with Solomon and Lawrence, the longer we go without any positive news regarding us and a prospect in recruiting, the more worrisome it gets, and CBs to the bad guys, needless to say, doesn't help things.

It happens every single year. We would all do well to not consider any uncommitted prospect locked up in July. I don't pay much attention to the crystal balls myself though, they change frequently.

Also, this may be very disappointing but I don't think Aubrey Solomon is going to flip and I think Rocker will be fired after this next season because of it. We thought Solomon's mom would have something to say about the Michigan commitment, but by every account I've seen it seems like they are committed and will end up in Ann Arbor. Rocker just isn't the tenacious recruiter that Kirby wants.

The only problem with firing Rocker is they signed him to a 2 year deal for the next 2 seasons. 

23 minutes ago, Carter said:

It happens every single year. We would all do well to not consider any uncommitted prospect locked up in July. I don't pay much attention to the crystal balls myself though, they change frequently.

Also, this may be very disappointing but I don't think Aubrey Solomon is going to flip and I think Rocker will be fired after this next season because of it. We thought Solomon's mom would have something to say about the Michigan commitment, but by every account I've seen it seems like they are committed and will end up in Ann Arbor. Rocker just isn't the tenacious recruiter that Kirby wants.

Oh, I don't think that we're flipping him either. He seems locked down. I've heard that he has family up there, and that his mom has warmed up to the idea.

The recent word is that we may offer and try and flip an in state DT, currently committed to South Carolina.

As far as Rocker goes, it does seem like Kirby is the primary recruiter on every one of our major DL targets. That's how it comes off when you read and listen to the interviews. I don't think that he's a "bad" recruiter, but his lack of ability is certainly standing out, while surrounded by such Ace recruiters. We have so many greats now, that it's making him look worse than he is.

Right now, I'd probably rank our coaches recruiting ability, based on what I've seen so far, as

Pittman (The Man)

Kirby

Coley

Chaney

Tucker

McGee

Sherrer

Schumann

Beamer (more b/c such small sample size)

Rocker

3 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

Jake Fromm with the highest completion percentage of any QB at the Opening.

But didn't he get leaped by Tua in the latest re-rankings by 247?

And THIS is why I was blown away when people were saying that we were whipping Saban on the recruiting trail. For the most part, they get who they want. Bama getting a five star OL is not something they hope to do or even do often- they do it ALL the time. By all means, our recruiting has closed the gap, but we still have a ways to go before I crown Kirby recruiting champion over Saban. 

...I will say this though... If we went by recruiting rankings, we would have been beaten soundly in 2012. We don't have to beat them straight up in recruiting to beat them on the field.

ECDawg78 likes this

1 hour ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

And THIS is why I was blown away when people were saying that we were whipping Saban on the recruiting trail. For the most part, they get who they want. Bama getting a five star OL is not something they hope to do or even do often- they do it ALL the time. By all means, our recruiting has closed the gap, but we still have a ways to go before I crown Kirby recruiting champion over Saban. 

...I will say this though... If we went by recruiting rankings, we would have been beaten soundly in 2012. We don't have to beat them straight up in recruiting to beat them on the field.

I am extremely pleased to see where we are headed in recruiting. As Kirby gets established, our recruiting will only improve as well. We have as good of a recruiting area as any program in the country, and it's quickly beginning to show.

Carter and SacFalcFan like this

So much for taking one more visit to each school it seems

Edit: Now there's a report of him visiting Clemson on Sunday, as well as rumors that he's spending the weekend, staying overnight, in Athens with Eason, before heading to Clemson.

Nothing solid

Edited by VA F.O.

4 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

So much for taking one more visit to each school it seems

Edit: Now there's a report of him visiting Clemson on Sunday, as well as rumors that he's spending the weekend, staying overnight, in Athens with Eason, before heading to Clemson.

Nothing solid

From what I gather he will be in Athens today, stay overnight, then head up to Clemson tomorrow and leave at some point in the evening. Not positive on that but he will definitely be visiting both this weekend according to the guys who cover it.

Also... Swift was scheduled to visit Bama and Clemson this weekend as well, but he canceled.

At this point, is Lawrence still a UGA lean or is it to the point where it can go either way between us and Clemson?

23 hours ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

I agree 100%.  I just looked at Clemson's recruiting the previous 4 years and their highest ranking was #9.  I think they had just enough elite talent to compete with Alabama, especially on the OL & DL and most importantly, an elite QB.  We didn't even have that much in 2012 and still came one play from winning the game. 

7 hours ago, Carter said:

From what I gather he will be in Athens today, stay overnight, then head up to Clemson tomorrow and leave at some point in the evening. Not positive on that but he will definitely be visiting both this weekend according to the guys who cover it.

Also... Swift was scheduled to visit Bama and Clemson this weekend as well, but he canceled.

Confirmed

He is in Athens and is spending the night, and will then head to Clemson tommorrow, and leave some time that day.

http://georgia.247sports.com/Bolt/Important-weekend-happening-for-Five-Star-46390149

Since he has shut down all possibility of interviews, likely the next thing we'll hear from him, is who he chose.

Edited by VA F.O.
95Dawg and Carter like this

45 minutes ago, Maverick said:

At this point, is Lawrence still a UGA lean or is it to the point where it can go either way between us and Clemson?

I don't believe Lawrence has ever stated that he was leaning to UGA.  Prior to him taking visits and narrowing things down to 2 teams, he was mostly thought to be headed to UT. 

Carter likes this

1 minute ago, frankly88 said:

I don't believe Lawrence has ever stated that he was leaning to UGA.  Prior to him taking visits and narrowing things down to 2 teams, he was mostly thought to be headed to UT. 

Lawrence has never been one to hint or "lean" toward anyone, at least not openly. 

His has been a very quiet recruitment. 

47 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Coin flip as far as we know. Both sides have felt he was a lean to them to be perfectly honest. He's just as close with Dabo and Deshaun Watson as he is any UGA coach or Jacob Eason. I don't think anyone will know until he announces.

On 7/20/2016 at 6:53 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

Right on cue... Bama jumps back up to the #2 spot upon "reranking" - http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Interestingly enough ND made a sizable jump to #4. Will be fun to see what happens with Stevens/Swift/Webb (also Holloman & Herring who might be close to making an official announcement) in the near future. Adding all 5 of those guys (just out of curiosity more than anything else... not sure it's in the cards to get all of them but we at least appear to have a strong shot at all) puts us at 292.58 and a class size of only 19. That numerical rating would have been good enough for 3rd overall last year and in 2015 and 4th in 2014. All of course dependent on getting a signature from every commitment which is easier said than done *but* it's also assuming we don't add *any* additional guys to the class other than people we're heavily expected to get already. Safe to say, regardless where we come out relative to Bama, we're at least in the same ballpark now from a recruiting standpoint. Previously, there was a pretty clear gap now that we look back on it.

Edit: Did not notice Bama took in a commitment on Sunday from a 4* DT - Akial Byers. That is the reason for the jump to 2, not simply the reranking. Our per prospect average is still higher at the moment. Let's hope for some good times to celebrate with the guys listed above soon.

yeah i have to laugh at the bama bump.. barton simmons and others who are part of the process will admit the bama bump is a reality.  i have seen when bama fell a few spots and then that night a few adjustments are done and they jump back up again.. LOL  it's hilarious. 

On 7/21/2016 at 3:50 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

Great minds think alike :) Added to my post in itals earlier :cheers:

pruitt has a lot of support in that area.  helping him get jacoby.  

On 7/22/2016 at 7:11 AM, frankly88 said:

I agree 100%.  I don't follow recruiting as intensely as probably everyone else here but it seemed pretty clear to me that Stevens had backed away from having UGA as his leader. One comment he made a few weeks ago really stuck out to me.  He said something about wanting to see improvement in Georgia's DBs and the overall team.  To me this clearly says that some other program has gotten to him, making him rethink the talk of how great the team and DBs will be in the future.  In other words, "show me".

which is ridiculous.  the reason for alabama's improved db play was mel tucker.. they had all those 5 stars who underperformed a number of years, but mel tucker under his coaching they were once again a strength of that defense. someone close got into his head and the reality is pruitt had help in that area and using that to help bama land jacoby.

On 7/22/2016 at 0:42 PM, STI885 said:

The only problem with firing Rocker is they signed him to a 2 year deal for the next 2 seasons. 

we won't be firing rocker.  if he wants to leave he can do that, but rocker is a hell of a coach.  too many fans actually believe they know what kirby wants.  kirby knows rocker and what he brings to the table. 

2 hours ago, frankly88 said:

the only reason he was thought to be headed to UT was because vol fans thought it was the case since he was a vol fan.  everyone who knew lawrence and his skillset saw that he was a horrible fit for that offense at tennessee.  i saw comments from the very beginning that lawrence and his family would see that bad fit and he wouldn't end up there.  that's a big reason he has them 3rd at best.  as someone else said it truly is a coin flip for lawrence.  it's clear he is down to clemson and uga and these two visits are a big key to where he will commit to.  i look forward to him deciding so he can then help and bring in some big fish. 

On 7/23/2016 at 0:25 AM, ECDawg78 said:

I am extremely pleased to see where we are headed in recruiting. As Kirby gets established, our recruiting will only improve as well. We have as good of a recruiting area as any program in the country, and it's quickly beginning to show.

yep.. the dawgpost article which was posted broke it down very well with facts on how well kirby was recruiting and outrecruiting the school to the west of us.  kirby has already flexed his recruiting muscle and it's only going to get better.  i really love this staff we have.