Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyASP

Predicting the NFC South in 2016

35 posts in this topic

The Panthers being at the top of the division is probably the only thing that is set in stone.   Whichever team finishes 2nd in the division may very well get a WC spot.     The NFCW is the only NFC division that has a guaranteed WC team seemingly every year.    Can't see a WC coming from the NFCE,  and with the Packers set to win their division,  with Nelson coming back,  I can't see the Vikings earning a WC spot.     Teddy plays it way too safe...and his lack of scoring ability will hurt their WC chances this season.                         So I believe our division gets a WC spot this year.

1 hour ago, droopy1592 said:

Super Bowl losers generally struggle or mid pack the next year, I don't think Carolina is set in stone at all. 

Agree. I don't see the Panthers being able to put up another season like last year. The loss to the Falcons late last season may be a harbinger of their return to mediocrity. Teams will re-double their efforts to hit Cam and rattle him and I think they'll get that done far more often this year. I see them around 9-7, 8-8, 7-9 and no real threat to repeat their Super Bowl year.

I'm sure Winston will be even better for the Bucs this year. They will be our toughest competition for the division title, but won't be able to beat our improved D and high-powered O. To break it down further, The ZBS will mangle the dog poop out of the SmittyBall Bend Then Collapse Defense. Our D will leave Winston partially embedded in the turf looking like a poster boy for human roadkill.

We take the division crown and have a bye going into the play-offs, finishing with an 11-5 record to the shock and dismay of the national sports media pundits.

peoriabird, apl2g, gazoo and 5 others like this

Just now, PokerSteve said:

Agree. I don't see the Panthers being able to put up another season like last year. The loss to the Falcons late last season may be a harbinger of their return to mediocrity. Teams will re-double their efforts to hit Cam and rattle him and I think they'll get that done far more often this year. I see them around 9-7, 8-8, 7-9 and no real threat to repeat their Super Bowl year.

I'm sure Winston will be even better for the Bucs this year. They will be our toughest competition for the division title, but won't be able to beat our improved D and high-powered O. To break it down further, The ZBS will mangle the dog poop out of the SmittyBall Bend Then Collapse Defense. We take the division crown and have a bye going into the play-offs, finishing with an 11-5 record to the shock and dismay of the national sports media pundits.

I like it!

51 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I'm sure Winston will be even better for the Bucs this year. They will be our toughest competition for the division title, but won't be able to beat our improved D and high-powered O. To break it down further, The ZBS will mangle the dog poop out of the SmittyBall Bend Then Collapse Defense. Our D will leave Winston partially embedded in the turf looking like a poster boy for human roadkill.

We take the division crown and have a bye going into the play-offs, finishing with an 11-5 record to the shock and dismay of the national sports media pundits.

If the Panthers losing one regular season game to the Falcons has the possibility of ruining the Panthers the following season.     What does getting swept by us and the Bucs lead to?

7 minutes ago, Big Bubba said:

If the Panthers losing one regular season game to the Falcons has the possibility of ruining the Panthers the following season.     What does getting swept by us and the Bucs lead to?

Lmao. Forreal. Those were two ugly loses.

42 minutes ago, Big Bubba said:

I'm not in the crowd that thinks Carolina will have a far drop, but the difference is with what Steve was saying is we weren't good at all the second half of the season and nearly everyone beat us. Carolina was undefeated and our lowly team laid a type of blueprint to beat them. My assumption of his thoughts, but y'all know what assumptions do.

Edited by mikeg272
Type
PokerSteve likes this

My prediction is Carolina wins division again for one more year. I think it's between Falcons and Bucs for second and third. NFCS gets a wc birth. Saints in last.

Carolina is strong everywhere except secondary and if healthy their offense will be better with KB back.

Atlanta and TB are unknowns as they added alot of new pieces I'm top of young talent. Very unknown expectations for both teams, but I like alot of the moves.

N.O didnt make alot of moves that I liked and I think Brees is going to have a rough year as age starts creeping up more and more. 

3 hours ago, Big Bubba said:

The Panthers being at the top of the division is probably the only thing that is set in stone.   Whichever team finishes 2nd in the division may very well get a WC spot.     The NFCW is the only NFC division that has a guaranteed WC team seemingly every year.    Can't see a WC coming from the NFCE,  and with the Packers set to win their division,  with Nelson coming back,  I can't see the Vikings earning a WC spot.     Teddy plays it way too safe...and his lack of scoring ability will hurt their WC chances this season.                         So I believe our division gets a WC spot this year.

NOTHING is set in stone.

Also, underestimate the Vikings this year at your peril. They cpuld very well be in the playoff mix this year.

I'm a believer in Winston, and expect Tampa to be improved. 

I think New Orleans continues their slide. 

I don't expect Carolina to be 15-1 again, but do think 12-4 is likely for them. 

My guess is the most likely record for the Falcons is between 8-8 and 11-5. The key is the division. 8-8 last season whIle going 1-5 in the division was disappointing. Losing to New Orleans at home with a winning season in sight was embarrassing. Correct the division record and ATL is a playoff team.

Ironhead1956 likes this

I would be surprised if the Ain'ts aren't last. Otherwise I don't really know. I'll believe the Bucs are good when I see it, because every year people try to tell me the'll be great and they never get any better. Not sure what to think about the Panthers. 

16 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Falcons 16-0

Saints 0-16!

Bucs 0-16!

Panthers 0-16!

https://d13yacurqjgara.cloudfront.net/users/47720/screenshots/2175696/ihyt_1x.png

Much as this would be awesome, I gotta wonder...since the Saints, Panthers and Bucs all play each other twice this year...wouldn't each likely have a win and a loss against one another? At the very least between all 3 they have to cumulatively win 3. Besides I'm not a fan of them getting a high draft pick either...8-8 for all 3 and no playoff berth. Then they all forfeit their 1st rounders for pumping in crowd noise. :D

Edited by FenixFalcon

23 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Super Bowl losers generally struggle or mid pack the next year, I don't think Carolina is set in stone at all. 

Me neither

21 hours ago, Dunn-Vick-Duckett said:

NOTHING is set in stone.

Also, underestimate the Vikings this year at your peril. They cpuld very well be in the playoff mix this year.

Teddy averages around 1 TD a game.  Their entire offense revolves around and is dependent on .......a 31 year old RB. 

As far as the Panthers..  it is basically set in stone.    They won the division in b2b2b seasons.    They've won it with Steve Smith as their #1 WR in '13,  with Kelvin as their #1 WR in '14 and with Ginn as their #1 WR in '15.       Kuechly has the  processing speed of Peyton Manning when it comes to figuring out what opposing teams are going to do before the ball is snapped. .... Since the Panthers drafted him,  all of our qbs have a losing record against him.   It is hard to counter someone that will easily and accurately counter our counters.

16 minutes ago, Big Bubba said:

Teddy averages around 1 TD a game.  Their entire offense revolves around and is dependent on .......a 31 year old RB. 

As far as the Panthers..  it is basically set in stone.    They won the division in b2b2b seasons.    They've won it with Steve Smith as their #1 WR in '13,  with Kelvin as their #1 WR in '14 and with Ginn as their #1 WR in '15.       Kuechly has the  processing speed of Peyton Manning when it comes to figuring out what opposing teams are going to do before the ball is snapped. .... Since the Panthers drafted him,  all of our qbs have a losing record against him.   It is hard to counter someone that will easily and accurately counter our counters.

Kuechly is very good, but he's not superman (see him trying to cover Julio in last year's game, his "processing speed" got him nowhere in that particular matchup)....

Panthers D is very good, best in NFL ...but they will go as far as Cam goes......and Cam is always an emotional wild card

Edited by Vandy

27 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Kuechly is very good, but he's not superman (see him trying to cover Julio in last year's game, his "processing speed" got him nowhere in that particular matchup)....

Panthers D is very good, best in NFL ...but they will go as far as Cam goes......and Cam is always an emotional wild card

That's the other scary part about them.   Since coming into the NFL,  Cam has averaged 32TD/yr.    He is the reigning MVP and the guy's ceiling still isn't even in sight..  he is still evolving and getting even better. 

5 minutes ago, Big Bubba said:

That's the other scary part about them.   Since coming into the NFL,  Cam has averaged 32TD/yr.    He is the reigning MVP and the guy's ceiling still isn't even in sight..  he is still evolving and getting even better. 

Agreed. Unless you can get into his head and frustrate him. Falcons did a good job with that 2nd game last season, and of course Broncos did the same in super bowl. 

4 hours ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

No Josh Norman. No division title for the Panties.

dont think norman played offense

The Panthers were 7-1 in one score games, outperformed their pythagorean expectation by 2.6 wins and had the easiest schedule in the league. The math suggests they'll regress quite a bit. 

Add in the fact they're replacing 3/4 of the secondary (including their best secondary player and one of the four best players on their defense) and I wouldnt be shocked if the finished closer to .500. 

I think they're the favorites right now. But they arent set in stone. Not in this league. 

51 minutes ago, Vandy said:

The fact that he actually had good coverage on Julio speaks volumes about him though. Julio just made a **** of a play. Kuechly is a couple of notches above "very good".