K26dp

2016 Braves Minor Leagues and Prospects Thread

950 posts in this topic

A couple notes:

* Dennis Llewalyn moving down to Florida to get his hands on Allard, Soroka, Touki, and Sanchez immediately. He's one of the best pitching coaches out there, this is a good move.

* Berryhill has been very successful coaching for the Rangers and Dodgers over the last 11 years or so.

* Reid Cornelius comes over from the Marlins, where he'd been bullpen coach since 2010.

* This will be Paul Runge's third stint as a Braves minor league manager.

* Some promotions: Ivan Cruz moving all the way up from Danville to Mississippi, Derek Lewis moving up from high-A to Mississippi, 

* Kanekoa Texiera and Barrett Kleinknect were Braves minor league players last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always believed that Berryhill was a key reason why the Maddux turned down the Yankees to sign with the Braves. They were drafted together and were the two of the youngest players on the Cubs in the late 80s. They not only played together but DB was his personal catcher with first the Cubs and later the Braves. Talent didn't get Berryhill to the majors. His brains did. I think he could wind up being a really good MLB manager.

Falconsfan567 and K26dp like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jidady said:

I've always believed that Berryhill was a key reason why the Maddux turned down the Yankees to sign with the Braves. They were drafted together and were the two of the youngest players on the Cubs in the late 80s. They not only played together but DB was his personal catcher with first the Cubs and later the Braves. Talent didn't get Berryhill to the majors. His brains did. I think he could wind up being a really good MLB manager.

There's a reason most coaches are former catchers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eight Braves minor leaguers were released last week.

GCL - RHP Tyler Greene, C Ruben Perez

Danvile - OF Elias Arias, C Trey Keegan, C Collin Yelich

Florida - RHP Caleb Beech, 3B Jordan Edgerton, RHP Britt Robertshaw

Tommy Poe of the Walk Off Walk blog has posted some good recaps of their Braves tenures. 

Yelich has already been picked up by the Miami Marlins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keith Law finished publishing his Top 100 Prospects list. Here's the final score for Atlanta:

2. Dansby Swanson, SS
26. Ozzie Albies, 2B/SS
32. Kolby Allard, LHP
36. Ronald Acuna, OF
50. Max Fried, LHP
52. Ian Anderson, RHP
59. Kevin Maitan, SS
77. Luiz Gohara, LHP
81. Sean Newcomb, LHP

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, K26dp said:

Keith Law finished publishing his Top 100 Prospects list. Here's the final score for Atlanta:

2. Dansby Swanson, SS
26. Ozzie Albies, 2B/SS
32. Kolby Allard, LHP
36. Ronald Acuna, OF
50. Max Fried, LHP
52. Ian Anderson, RHP
59. Kevin Maitan, SS
77. Luiz Gohara, LHP
81. Sean Newcomb, LHP

9 guys!! Holy flip!!

K26dp likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baseball America's Top 31 Braves:

1    Dansby Swanson, SS
2    Ozzie Albies, IF
3    Kolby Allard, LHP
4    Mike Soroka, RHP
5    Ian Anderson, RHP
6    Ronald Acuna, OF
7    Kevin Maitan, SS
8    Sean Newcomb, LHP
9    Patrick Weigel, RHP
10    Max Fried, LHP
11    Austin Riley, 3B
12    Touki Toussaint, RHP
13    Christian Pache, OF
14    Lucas Sims, RHP
15    Joey Wentz, LHP
16    Dustin Peterson, OF
17    Kyle Muller, LHP
18    A.J. Minter, LHP
19    Travis Demeritte, IF
20    Rio Ruiz, 3B
21    Braxton Davidson, OF
22    Derian Cruz, SS
23    Brett Cumberland, C
24    Drew Harrington, LHP
25    Bryse Wilson, RHP
26    Abrahan Gutierrez, C
27    Ray-Patrick Didder, OF
28    Luke Jackson, RHP
29    Alex Jackson, OF
30    Lucas Herbert, C
31    Armando Rivero, RHP

The Prospect Handbook went to print before the Gohara trade, but based on the grade he got he would be somewhere in the 10-12 range. 

BA also rates Atlanta as the #1 farm system.
 

 

Ransack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2017 at 8:43 PM, Unkn0wn said:

 

I don't know why they insist on doing these types of comparisons. Both are different types of players with different skill sets.

jidady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, K26dp said:

 

The Prospect Handbook went to print before the Gohara trade, but based on the grade he got he would be somewhere in the 10-12 range. 


 

 

Which is a indication of the crazy depth of talent down there considering a lot of people feel Gohara has a top of the rotation type arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ransack said:

Which is a indication of the crazy depth of talent down there considering a lot of people feel Gohara has a top of the rotation type arm.

A left-hander with a high-90s fastball with movement and a knee-buckling breaking ball is almost as rare as unicorns. The question is will he develop enough command to be a starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, K26dp said:

A left-hander with a high-90s fastball with movement and a knee-buckling breaking ball is almost as rare as unicorns. The question is will he develop enough command to be a starter.

That's usually the last thing to come along in a pitchers development. Especially those with live arms that generate a lot of natural movement.

K26dp likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, they really like Luiz Gohara. They threw a 70 grade on his fastball and a 55 on his slider. And he's only 11th on their list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last major top 100 prospects list was released this morning. Fangraphs lists 9 Braves in the top 100.

4. Dansby Swanson
11. Ozzie Albies
35. Ronald Acuna
41. Kolby Allard
48. Kevin Maitan
54. Ian Anderson
62. Max Fried
70. Luiz Gohara
93. Mike Soroka

LHPs Sean Newcomb and Joey Wentz and OF Cristian Pache were listed in the "others under consideration" section, with Pache noted as the last hitter cut.

Falconsfan567 and capologist like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Badler at Baseball America updates readers on the Braves international signees. 

Regarding SS Kevin Maitan: 

Quote

The biggest change for Maitan over the past year has been his physical development. He’s packed on at least 30 pounds to become 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, with the extra strength helping the consistency of his throws and the repeatability of his swing to help him control the barrel better. It has cost him some speed, as expected, going from a plus runner underway to an average runner now, but he still has the athleticism and internal clock to play shortstop for now.

Badler also gives updates on C Abrahan Guiterrez, SS Yunior Severino, RHP Juan Contreras, SS Yenci Pena, SS Livan Soto, RHP Yefri del Rosario (he was too young to sign on July 2 so he didn't get a lot of press, but Badler is very high on him), RHP Guillermo Zuniga, OF Antonio Sucre, OF Jeffrey Ramos, OF Charles Reyes, IF Braulio Vasquez, LHP Lisandro Santos, C/1B Andres Adrianza, RHP Elian Leyva, and IF Alay Lago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now