jidady

2016 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

1,172 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jidady said:

As a Disney Vacation Club member, I really don't want them to move. I understand that it's inevitable, though.

It's just tough because they're the only team in central florida as currently stands so when they go to play games they've got at least a 2 hour bus ride in either direction. When they moved to Disney there were quite a few teams like the Tigers, Nationals and Astros that trained in the area but everyone has moved to the East or West coast.

According to DOB Fredi says he plans to start Flowers this weekend. They also plan to go Wisler, Teheran, Perez in that order. Chacin will start tomorrow at Gwinnett and then be brought up to be the 5th starter on Tuesday.

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

Former Brave Tim Hudson will be joining Chip and Joe in the broadcast booth on occasion for both FoxSportsSouth and FoxSportsSoutheast. 

Huddy's first broadcast will be Saturday night.

On April 5, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Unkn0wn said:

A meeting in Lake Worth, FL turned out a lot of Braves supporters. The Braves prefer to move their Spring home there and the people seem to want it. Reportedly preparing to build a $100M stadium complex on a lake. The Cards, Marlins, Astros and Nats already have stadiums in the area.

I'm glad the move away from West Palm Beach came back to bite them. Serves them right. Looks like the Braves are now followers and not leaders. 

17 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Here's an article that looks like it was written by some of the negative nancies here.

Good article. I don't get it that anything objective and truthful that doesn't suit your agenda is termed "negative ". 

Ive always said these last two years at Turner are a middle finger to the City of Atlanta. Seeing the crappy attendance last night, it looks like they have succeeded. 

17 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

12523955_1210304988987629_83847712438124

Nice chart. Thanks for posting!

14 of the 26 are over 30 years old. Time to trade them all at the trade deadline if we are talking about a true youth rebuild. 

3 hours ago, Victor Newman said:

Good article. I don't get it that anything objective and truthful that doesn't suit your agenda is termed "negative ". 

Ive always said these last two years at Turner are a middle finger to the City of Atlanta. Seeing the crappy attendance last night, it looks like they have succeeded. 

The reason I it was negative is because most of it is not true. The Braves didn't move from where they are now because it's a black neighborhood. To even insist that is one of the reasons for the move is ridiculous. A lot of the reason of the article is full of opinions being passed off as facts like the negative folks here like to do like with the post about the Braves move from West Palm Beach to Disney years ago.

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The reason I it was negative is because most of it is not true. The Braves didn't move from where they are now because it's a black neighborhood. To even insist that is one of the reasons for the move is ridiculous. A lot of the reason of the article is full of opinions being passed off as facts like the negative folks here like to do like with the post about the Braves move from West Palm Beach to Disney years ago.

The move to Disney was like sticking a middle finger to the long time purist Braves fans. West Palm was a great and down home venue that gave the fans great access to the Braves. The Disney experience has no charm or nostalgia. It is stale and corporate. 

5 minutes ago, Victor Newman said:

The move to Disney was like sticking a middle finger to the long time purist Braves fans. West Palm was a great and down home venue that gave the fans great access to the Braves. The Disney experience has no charm or nostalgia. It is stale and corporate. 

Ever think that they couldn't get funding there for a new stadium and had no choice but to leave? The Expos/Nationals left too. Don't you think one of them would have stayed for a new ballpark? The last game there was 1997. There has been no spring training team there since until the Nationals return in 2017. That's 20 years. So you think that maybe there just wasn't enough support to get a new stadium until now for a team to return? Nope. You just automatically think everything the Braves do is about greed and giving the fans the finger and you couldn't be more wrong. That is why I call you a negative person.

Perfect article talking about Fredi's terrible lineup construction in having Erick Aybar hitting 2nd and how Freddie should be hitting 2nd but if you're not going to use him then use Markakis as I suggested.

I was looking at 2017 free agents.  The only one I want is Lucroy to replace AJ.  2018 is where we could bring a major piece.  2018 is the year we can go after the likes of Josh Donaldson or Andrew McClutchen.  

On 4/6/2016 at 5:48 PM, Unkn0wn said:

According to DOB Fredi says he plans to start Flowers this weekend. They also plan to go Wisler, Teheran, Perez in that order. Chacin will start tomorrow at Gwinnett and then be brought up to be the 5th starter on Tuesday.

Glad to see this, I'm hating AJ already...

12 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I was looking at 2017 free agents.  The only one I want is Lucroy to replace AJ.  2018 is where we could bring a major piece.  2018 is the year we can go after the likes of Josh Donaldson or Andrew McClutchen.  

2018 free agent class is where it is. 2017 is an extremely weak class.

49 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

2018 free agent class is where it is. 2017 is an extremely weak class.

I doubt the Braves are going to be heavily involved in those free agents in any case. I think the Braves are going to looking to utilize their payroll flexibility lock up their own guys long-term, and trade off the extra to fill in gaps.

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

I doubt the Braves are going to be heavily involved in those free agents in any case. I think the Braves are going to looking to utilize their payroll flexibility lock up their own guys long-term, and trade off the extra to fill in gaps.

Probably so. But they'll have the financial flexibility available to them to land a big name if they want to. Remember they kicked the tires on Jon Lester last winter and on Justin Upton this winter. I think if they get into a situation where they're really good but they see a guy as the difference between winning the World Series and just making it to the NLCS then they'll take the plunge.

Yeah, but I think it would have to be a special player in an area of exceptional need. They've now said repeatedly that free agency is not an optimal way to expend resources (and they are right).

3 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Yeah, but I think it would have to be a special player in an area of exceptional need. They've now said repeatedly that free agency is not an optimal way to expend resources (and they are right).

Correct. But there was legit discussion internally about Justin Upton this winter even though they never formally extended an offer. The fact that they discussed it and actually did pursue Jon Lester last winter at least shows they would be willing to spend for the right player.