Unkn0wn

2016 MLB Season

1,785 posts in this topic

Evan Gattis starting the year on the DL. Too bad. Looks like the Braves will get the better end of that trade when Folty starts dominating. 

Here's a list of surprise opening day roster players and one that caught my attention was Cory Luebke with the Pirates. I don't know if you remember him but about 4 or 5 years ago he was one of the majors best young starting pitchers with the Padres who then rewarded him with one of those long-term team friendly deals and then he was hit with injuries including a pair of Tommy John surgeries and hasn't pitched in the majors since 2012.

Both the Giants and Brewers have their pitchers hitting 8th today and it's the first time ever on opening day that both pitchers in the same game have hit 8th.

Cubs opening day line-up:

1. Dexter Fowler, CF
  2. Jason Heyward, RF
  3. Ben Zobrist, 2B
  4. Anthony Rizzo, 1B
  5. Kris Bryant, 3B
  6. Kyle Schwarber, LF
  7. Jorge Soler, DH
  8. MIguel Montero, C
  9. Addison Russell, SS
  10. X - Jake Arrieta, P

Cubs opening day line-up, 2 years ago:

1. Emilio Bonifacio, CF
  2. Junior Lake, LF
  3. Starlin Castro, SS
  4. Anthony Rizzo, 1B
  5. Mike Olt, 3B
  6. Welington Castillo, C
  7. Nate Schierholtz, RF
  8. Darwin Barney, 2B
  9. Jeff Samardzija, P

13 minutes ago, Victor Newman said:

I am in Cincinnati at this moment. Did you know that Opening Day is a citywide holiday in Cincy?

That's because it used to be that the Reds had their home opener and season opener a day before the rest of the teams in baseball. I don't know when that changed. But they always open the season at home because of that.

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That's because it used to be that the Reds had their home opener and season opener a day before the rest of the teams in baseball. I don't know when that changed. But they always open the season at home because of that.

It was to acknowledge their role as the oldest franchise in the majors. They lost the whole "Opening Day is in Cincinnati" thing during the Marge Schott years because she was terrible.

14 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Braves will have the same thing in a year or two.

Umm, I don't think Kasim Reed will be making any proclamation such as a citywide holiday for the Cobb Braves. 

20 minutes ago, Victor Newman said:

Umm, I don't think Kasim Reed will be making any proclamation such as a citywide holiday for the Cobb Braves. 

Was talking about the lineup changes that was mentioned.

36 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It changed when TV networks made it change. Money trumps tradition now. 

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

It was to acknowledge their role as the oldest franchise in the majors. They lost the whole "Opening Day is in Cincinnati" thing during the Marge Schott years because she was terrible.

The Braves claim that they're the oldest MLB franchise but so does the Reds.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

The Braves claim that they're the oldest MLB franchise but so does the Reds.

Reds are older, but they had a couple years where they weren't in operation. Hence the Braves claim of being the "oldest continually operated baseball franchise".

8 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

These are the kind of games you love to win.  Hamels gave up 4 hits and two of them were HRs but he still got the win.