http://www.philly.co...rojections.html

#2 Tuggle'2

Tuggle'2

The Hammer!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,478 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

So a 5th and three 7ths. More than I figured.

#3 hjerry

hjerry

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

This is from the same guy on bloggingthebeast. He predicts us getting a 5th and 3 7ths.

#4 trashmetalx

trashmetalx

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Wow!  An extra 5th could help us trade up in the 3rd or 4th if we need to.  Not bad

#5 jidady

jidady

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,171 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

I'll be disappointed if Grimes only nets a 5th, but the idea of getting four more picks is glorious. I would be wildly amused if Luke McCown netted us compensation. He threw one pass in 2013.

#6 jidady

jidady

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,171 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

View Posttrashmetalx, on 07 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

Wow!  An extra 5th could help us trade up in the 3rd or 4th if we need to.  Not bad

As a point of clarification, we could use our 5th round pick to trade up. Compensatory picks themselves cannot be traded.

#7 virginiafalcon

virginiafalcon

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

I had been expecting one 4th and two 7ths.  It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

#8 hjerry

hjerry

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts

Whether we get a 5th or a 4th for Grimes, is really going to come down to how much they determine that he was worth to Miami. He did go to the pro bowl, so I'd still say that there is a distinct chance that he nets us a 4th.

#9 hjerry

hjerry

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

From the article:

Atlanta has the most variables affecting their situation. As is mentioned above McCown had a low salary and few game snaps, but I believe that he is just over the qualification threshold. Sidbury was signed for a little less, and did not play at all, so he was not counted. It would not matter if he did count, as Atlanta reached their four-pick limit. The Falcons also signed two players coming off of “voidable” deals. Stephen Jackson voided his contract in St. Louis, and the Giants voided their contract with Osi Umenyiora. I treated Jackson as a qualified player because it was not the team’s decision to lose him.  Umenyiora’s “voidable” deal was just a way to push money to the future for cap purposes, so I did not reward the team for losing him. If Jackson is not counted, it could give Atlanta another 7th round pick if they have not hit their limit. If Umenyiora counts as a signing, it would likely take away a 7th round pick, but there is a slight chance Atlanta could lose their 5th for Grimes.
In addition to the Umenyiora situation described above, the New York Giants have a few other players that could affect their situation.  Brandon Myers is consistently described as having a “voidable” contract, but in reality it is simply a deal with no guaranteed money remaining and a big salary bump in 2014 which is unlikely to get paid.  Louis Murphy signed for $715,000 but barely played, so I had no problem not counting him. Ryan Mundy is the big wild card. He signed for $780,000, a relatively low amount, and played 667 snaps. I think that qualifies him as a significant contributor to the team, and with players at barely higher salaries and much fewer snaps counted in past years, I think Mundy qualifies for the comp pick equations. If he does not, the Giants would receive an extra 7th round pick.

#10 trashmetalx

trashmetalx

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

View Postjidady, on 07 February 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

As a point of clarification, we could use our 5th round pick to trade up. Compensatory picks themselves cannot be traded.

Doh!  I did know that I just forgot.  Haha thanks for the correction.  But yeah we could still use our first 5th but it's a high pick (in the round) so we could get a value player with that pick.

#11 Psychic Gibbon

Psychic Gibbon

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Personally I'm hoping for theProf's projection of a 4th and 7th, but I could live with a 5th and three 7ths.

#12 hjerry

hjerry

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

It seems that he views Grimes as being 5th round compensation level, while Jackson is 6th round and Osi is also 5th, maybe 6th. He, however, does not count Osi into the equation, b/c of the way in which he became a FA. So, it is still a little in the air, as to whether or not Osi/Sjax count, and also what compensation will be awarded for Grimes.

#13 hjerry

hjerry

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostPsychic Gibbon, on 07 February 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

Personally I'm hoping for theProf's projection of a 4th and 7th, but I could live with a 5th and three 7ths.
I could still see us with a 4th and either two or three 7ths, depending on whether or not Osi cancels out one of the 7ths. I'd be surprised if Grimes only nets us a 5th, after his salary, 2013 statistics, and going to the pro bowl.

#14 muskokas finest

muskokas finest

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

It is my understanding (and regulars to this discussion like hJerry don't agree because I can't produce an actual rule that states so) that the circumstances of Osi and SJax's releases only impact the Rams and Giants calculations and not that of the signing team, Atlanta.  The reason I believe this is I saw Keith Brooking was included in the Cowboys calculation a few years back.

I can't imagine the NFLPA allowing cut players (not costing signing team compensation) to have an advantage over natural free agents (those counting in compensation equations).  It would create two tiers of free agents and thus be discriminatory.  

That's why I think Grimes will not generate a comp pic.

#15 hjerry

hjerry

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

View Postmuskokas finest ©, on 07 February 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

It is my understanding (and regulars to this discussion like hJerry don't agree because I can't produce an actual rule that states so) that the circumstances of Osi and SJax's releases only impact the Rams and Giants calculations and not that of the signing team, Atlanta.  The reason I believe this is I saw Keith Brooking was included in the Cowboys calculation a few years back.

I can't imagine the NFLPA allowing cut players (not costing signing team compensation) to have an advantage over natural free agents (those counting in compensation equations).  It would create two tiers of free agents and thus be discriminatory.  

That's why I think Grimes will not generate a comp pic.
Actually no. I've always stated that players who are cut, will not count into the formula for either team, neither the team that cut them, nor the one that signs them. As for Sjax and Osi, I've been operating under the assumption that both count as FAs, rather than cuts, for some time now. I merely acknowledge, as the author of the article does, that it is unclear how exactly a void counts. Either way, it is unlikely that they could cancel out Grimes, as both made less money, had fewer snaps, and received no accolades, while Grimes went to the pro bowl.

#16 Truth B Told (TRU)

Truth B Told (TRU)

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

A fifth would be nice

#17 B_Lo_Touchdowns

B_Lo_Touchdowns

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

4th & two 7th's

#18 OC

OC

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

View Posttrashmetalx, on 07 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

Wow!  An extra 5th could help us trade up in the 3rd or 4th if we need to.

...or in the first.

Posted Image

#19 falconsd56

falconsd56

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

so we are looking best case scenario to have somewhere between 30-40 million  in cap space and 10 draft picks?

In addition to getting Julio and Roddy back 100% ......next year we are going to be goood!

#20 ssippifalcon

ssippifalcon

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Saw that article, im hoping grimey gives us more but a 5th and three 7ths would be great. This is a deep draft and those extra comps could allow us to experiment a bit with certain positions. I think ill do a mock now :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Philly.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users