Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theProf

Theprof Projects Atlanta's 2014 Compensatory Draft Picks

33 posts in this topic

Abe, Dunta, Turner, and Clabo were all cut by the Falcons in 2013 before their contract terms ended. Therefore none of these players will count as UFAs lost and will not enter into the compensable formula in 2014. Atlanta lost 6 UFAs in 2013: Grimes ($5.5m new one-year contract= 4th round), Walker ($2m new contract= 6th or 7th), Owens ($1m new contact= 7th) , Svitec ($1m new contract =7th), McCown ($905,000 new contract= 7th), and Sidbury ($780,000 new contract). However, Sidbury will NOT count in the compensatory formula as a qualified free agent lost, because his annual salary is below the minimum cut-off point. The cutoff is somewhere between $800,000 to $900,000.

Atlanta lost 5 compensable FAs in 2013: Grimes, Owens, Walker, Svitek, and McCown. Atlanta signed 2 compensable UFAs in 2013: S-Jax (average annual comp = $4m = 5th round) and Osi (average annual comp =$4,250,000 = 5th round). Therefore, Atlanta has a NET LOSS of 3 UFAs = 3 comp picks. Since Jackson and Osi are higher rounds comps than Grimes, they can not cancel out Grimes. Therefore, Osi will cancel out Walker, and S-Jax will cancel out Owens.

That would leave Atlanta 3 comp picks in the 2014 draft: a 4th rounder for Grimes, and two 7th rounders for Svitek and McCown, according to my projection.

Some have questioned as to whether Osi and S-Jax wil count or not. I'm almost certain that both of these players will count in the comp formula because neither one was technically "cut or released". Both became UFAs due to the final year in their contracts being "voided". Osi's contract was voided due to a "technicality" in his contract. Jackson's contract gave him the option to void his final year. I believe that if a player becomes an unrestricted free agent, without being released or cut while under contract, then they will figure into the compensatory draft formula. Therefore, both Osi and S-Jax should count as qualified UFAs signed by Atlanta, in my opinion. I base this upon the following excerpt from Adamjt, the renown compensatory draft guru:

"In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ended July 27 last year); if he signs after June 1, he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team."

http://adamjt13.blog...-nfl-draft.html

"Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora's contract was voided at 4:01 p.m. ET on Thursday due to a technicality in his contract. He is now an unrestricted free agent, according to Jenny Vrentas, the Giants' beat writer for The Star-Ledger."

St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson will void the final year of his contract and become a free agent next month, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Monday night, citing unnamed NFL sources.......This will be Jackson's first experience as a free agent. According to Thomas, Jackson wants to play for a Super Bowl contender.

Interesting that teams voiding a player under contract allows them to benefit from the compensatory process. Seems like there would be a lot more veteran contracts written with team option void clauses in each season. It would give teams a chance to recoup something if they are wanting to go a different direction instead of just having to cut a player & have no possibility of recouping anything. Seems like a loophole that the NFL should close. Osi was basically cut from the Giants, but they let the contract technicality void the contract and do the cutting for them. Pretty bogus that the NFL allows that to occur and then awards the Giants for it and punishes the team that signed Osi.

Carasik was saying he only thought we would get one 7th rounder.

I will be excited if we get at least a late 4th rounder to go with a few 7th rounders.....in reality, Falcons tend to do better with the UDFA's than they do the comp. pick 7th rounders so those don't really excite me.

I will be excited if we get at least a late 4th rounder to go with a few 7th rounders.....in reality, Falcons tend to do better with the UDFA's than they do the comp. pick 7th rounders so those don't really excite me.

No offense to him but I'm hoping he's wrong and prof is correct.

hjerry and g-dawg like this

I did post this in Carasik's Bleacher Report thread because I thought he was clearly wrong with his comp projection of only one 7th-rounder. I thought the info was important enough to make a separate topic thread thereon.

AEFalcon and g-dawg like this

I posted this topic thread on both this draft board and Talk About the Falcons message board. I see that the one posted on TATF board got moved over here, so that's why there are now two separate threads on this issue on this message board.

Interesting that teams voiding a player under contract allows them to benefit from the compensatory process. Seems like there would be a lot more veteran contracts written with team option void clauses in each season. It would give teams a chance to recoup something if they are wanting to go a different direction instead of just having to cut a player & have no possibility of recouping anything. Seems like a loophole that the NFL should close. Osi was basically cut from the Giants, but they let the contract technicality void the contract and do the cutting for them. Pretty bogus that the NFL allows that to occur and then awards the Giants for it and punishes the team that signed Osi.

There's a lot of things about the compensatory draft that don't make sense. For instance, If the primary purpose is to help compensate teams who lose more valuable free agents than they sign to help keep some parity among teams, then why don't players who become free agents by being cut/released also count in the compensable formula? Atlanta releasaed Abe for cap reasons, which is why many free agents aren't re-signed by their former teams btw. Doesn't make any sense to me not to count Abe as a compensable loss by Atlanta, when we still get to be compensated for players like Owens and Svitec who the Falcons lost to Free Agency.

I did post this in Carasik's Bleacher Report thread because I thought he was clearly wrong with his comp projection of only one 7th-rounder. I thought the info was important enough to make a separate topic thread thereon.

I think you're dead on. I forgot that both SJax and Osi had voided contracts

Interesting that teams voiding a player under contract allows them to benefit from the compensatory process.

Pretty bogus that the NFL allows that to occur and then awards the Giants for it and punishes the team that signed Osi.

When I researched the issue the other day, what you note is why a Giants beat writer believed that their team would not benefit in terms of compensation from letting Osi go. The argument he made was more logical to me than the idea that they could benefit from effectively cutting a player. Jackson's situation is even more dramatic because he specifically failed to reach the qualifiers in his contract. The Rams let him go anyway. That's cutting a player. I have to believe that teams are not allowed to manipulate the compensatory system on issues so clear cut.

I am expecting nothing but the logical part of my brain thinks we should not have those two players count against us.

I think it would be fairly difficult to put "voidable" clauses into player contracts. If the contract is voidable before the expiration date by the team, then the player and his agent would probably not want it in the contract. If the contract is voidable before contract expiration by the player, then the team probably would not want it in the contract. Both parties would have to agree to any voidable clauses that could be exercised or take affect before the contract expiration date. There are voidable clauses placed in player contracts, but I think they are the exception not the norm.

Thanks Prof. Hope you are right. Enjoy your post. They contribute a lot to this board....informative and open up great discussions.

Thank You.

hjerry thank you for your aid in helping me formulate these opinions re the Falcons compensatory draft possibilities many months ago.

hjerry likes this

I think it would be fairly difficult to put "voidable" clauses into player contracts. If the contract is voidable before the expiration date by the team, then the player and his agent would probably not want it in the contract. If the contract is voidable before contract expiration by the player, then the team probably would not want it in the contract. Both parties would have to agree to any voidable clauses that could be exercised or take affect before the contract expiration date. There are voidable clauses placed in player contracts, but I think they are the exception not the norm.

agree, but if all teams were to start moving in that direction, then the players & agents have little recourse except to claim collusion. Most examples of collusion are illegal, but not all. I don't know if this would be or not if it doesn't affect the money earned or the opportunity of the player to gain employment with another team. Of course it's probably too much of a headache just for a few compensatory picks.

When I researched the issue the other day, what you note is why a Giants beat writer believed that their team would not benefit in terms of compensation from letting Osi go. The argument he made was more logical to me than the idea that they could benefit from effectively cutting a player. Jackson's situation is even more dramatic because he specifically failed to reach the qualifiers in his contract. The Rams let him go anyway. That's cutting a player. I have to believe that teams are not allowed to manipulate the compensatory system on issues so clear cut.

I am expecting nothing but the logical part of my brain thinks we should not have those two players count against us.

That's the way I feel as well, but there's not much the NFL does that seems logical to me, so I'm sure we'll end up having them count against us.