Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g-dawg

2014 Falcons Offseason(Salary Cap/draft/free Agency)

61 posts in this topic

Falcons Free Agents to Let Walk:

Jonathan Babineaux, DT (getting into unproductive zone in years - too much money, not type of DT we need - being replaced)

Peria Jerry, DT (like the Sopranos, "its over")

Joe Hawley, OC (you will see why in a minute)

Chase Coffman, TE (not getting any touches, must be in Falcons doghouse like he was in Cincy on HardKnocks)

Jeremy Trueblood, RT (waiver white trash)

Omar Gaither, LB (who?)

SALARY CAP:

$126.6 million = 2014 cap (announced yesterday)

$116.9 million = Cap figures for 2014 for top 51 Falcons under contract next year http://overthecap.co...lcons&Year=2014

$ 9.7 million = currently under 2014 cap

Moves to create cap room:

$7.00mm - retire Tony Gonzalez

$5.25mm - cut Asante Samuel

$3.00mm - cut Thomas DeCoud

$2.00mm - cut Stephen Nicholas

$1.30mm - cut Garrett Reynolds

$18.55mm = additional cap savings

$7.5mm COST = rookie salary pool for Falcons w/ top 5 picktowards 2014 cap

$20.75mm under cap after all moves above (net of rookie pool)

Re-Sign current Falcons:

Corey Peters, DT - 3yrs, $9mm = $3mm/yr towards cap

Robert McClain, CB - 2yrs, $4mm = $2mm/yr towards cap

Dominque Franks, CB - 1yr, $1.3mm = $1.3mm/yr towards cap

Mike Johnson, OT - 1yr, $1mm = 1.0mm/yr towards cap (one more chance to prove he can be healthy/productive - last chance!)

Unrestricted Free Agents from other Teams

Alex+Mack+Cleveland+Browns+v+Baltimore+Ravens+pz2xgwr7dWnl.jpg

Alex Mack, OC-Browns, 6'4", 311lbs - let's face it, Konz is a back-up at best and Hawley is a free agent(let go) that has not shown enough in four years on the team. Mack is a "top 5" center in the game and we know that the center is the quarterback of the offensive line - won't be cheap but will be worth it. Konz goes to the bench to back-up at center and guard positions.

CONTRACT: 6yrs, $39mm - $18mm guaranteed - $6.5mm/yr average towards cap

76210_130203201724-56-super-bowl-0203-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Arthur Jones, DT-Ravens 6'3", 315lbs - this guy played for a champion(Ravens) and is an emerging force as a run-stopper and pocket collapser in the pass rush.

CONTRACT: 4yrs, $19mm - $9mm guaranteed - $4.5mm/yr average towards cap

FINAL CAP for 2014 $124.15 cap ($2.45mm cap remains)

NFL DRAFT - FALCONS:

The Falcons will likely go either 0-3 or 1-2 over the next three games. If we go "ofer" then we will lock-up the #2 pick in the draft. If we go 1-2, then we will likely pick around #5. The only round where the pick difference will matter is in round#1. Here goes:

1st round - #1-002-Jadeveon Clowney(DE)-6'6", 268lbs-South Carolina

1381158450000-USP-NCAA-Football-South-Carolina-at-Georgia.jpg

OR

1st round - #1-005-Khalil Mack (OLB)-6'3", 245lbs-Buffalo

0ap2000000277508.jpg

2nd round - Gabe Jackson(OG)-6'3", 340lbs-Miss. State

hi-res-6553974_display_image.jpg?1375220923

3rd round - Daniel McCullers(DT)-6'6", 351lbs-Tennessee

4th round - Jeremy Attaochu(OLB)-6'3", 242lbs-Georgia Tech

5th round - JC Copeland(FB)-6'1", 270lbs-LSU

6th round - Aaron Murray(QB)-6'1", 208lbs-Georgia

7th round - Marcel Jensen(TE)-6'6", 270lbs-Fresno State

I like this quite a bit. I don't 'hate' Clowney, but I'd prefer a trade back if we're in a position to draft him. If we're picking a few picks later, I'd prefer one of the top LTs (Matthews, Erving, Kouandjio), or if we're as low as 9, Nix or Hageman.

Mack's level of competition makes me nervous. He'll have some proving to do between now and the combine.

kiwifalcon likes this

You think Murray will fall that far?

Other than that I don't see anything here I'd be upset with.

If he does, I'd love to grab him. I think he's a backup that could win a few games, and then be worth something in a trade.

You think Murray will fall that far?

Other than that I don't see anything here I'd be upset with.

yeah, I think he could drop. He was likely to drop to 3rd round anyway given his small size and flirts with accuracy issues from time-to-time. Now, throw in a deep QB class and an ACL, and he will get pushed down even further.

agree w/ Rugger - Murray is not an NFL starter but quality back-up guy that could win you a few games when starter was out.

pix for rest of draft:

3rd round - Daniel McCullers(DT)-6'6", 351lbs-Tennessee (Stone Mountain - cannot be moved in middle)

232614_t607.JPG

4th round - Jeremy Attaochu(OLB)-6'3", 242lbs-Georgia Tech

110924_JDW_NC-GT_0361.jpg

5th round - JC Copeland(FB)-6'1", 270lbs-LSU (yeah, we are running it, try and stop us!)

hi-res-151128841_crop_650.jpg?1377812262

6th round - Aaron Murray(QB)-6'1", 208lbs-Georgia (this man won't slide on the 5yd line!)

ugafoot_1031_bs31_1167424a.JPG

7th round - Marcel Jensen(TE)-6'6", 270lbs-Fresno State (think he could throw a block or two)

hZWdk.AuSt.8.jpeg

I like everything about this mock, g-dawg, except for the safety position not being addressed. Sure, Motta has played well, but I don't see him as much more than solid depth.

Maybe instead of McCullers you grab Joyner, who is playing CB right now, but was a superstar at safety last year for FSU.

What is the point in drafting Murray?

Because we need a back up?

People often complain about our general lack of depth... depth at the QB position is worse than anywhere else on the team, save-maybe- the OL.

g-dawg likes this

What is the point in drafting Murray?

its a 5th round pick. If this man comes in for a few games while Matty Ice is on the mend, probably will go ofer and miss the playoffs. Falcons have been playing w/ fire with no legit backup.

12524092.jpg

rugger8 likes this

I like Mack but i dont think its smart to keep throwing big money at the O-LINE.... You can build an O-Line without doing that...

I would rather sign guard Geoff Schwartz for 3 or 4 mil a year.. Or Jon Asamoah... or Rodger Saffold ..

I just think its other more cost friendly ways to fix the O-Line

I like everything about this mock, g-dawg, except for the safety position not being addressed. Sure, Motta has played well, but I don't see him as much more than solid depth.

Maybe instead of McCullers you grab Joyner, who is playing CB right now, but was a superstar at safety last year for FSU.

its definitely a weakness - i just don't think Motta is a dropoff from DeCoud - maybe he's not an upgrade but don't think he's a downgrade. There would be enough salary cap left to sign an old vet to a 1 year deal if need be.

More money would come off books in 2015 and we could address free safety in a future year or convert a good tackling cornerback like Franks or somethin'.

I like Mack but i dont think its smart to keep throwing big money at the O-LINE.... You can build an O-Line without doing that...

I would rather sign guard Geoff Schwartz for 3 or 4 mil a year.. Or Jon Asamoah... or Rodger Saffold ..

I just think its other more cost friendly ways to fix the O-Line

I just think - even though we have Konz and could have Hawley - just think neither of those guys are the answer.

I think there are answers in the draft to play right guard (Gabe Jackson/Cyril Richardson/David Yankey).

I am not really spending money on the offensive line except for Mack - he's a legit stud - none of the guys you mentioned are. We are only stuck w/ Baker for two more years - if we add Alex Mack and Gabe Jackson to go with Blalock, we have turned the Falcons interior offensive line from a weakness to a strength.

While we don't have star-power at the left and right tackle position - we have usuable starters/depth in Baker/Holmes/M. Johnson/Schreader. I think with an upgraded/strong interior offensive line, these guys would perform better.

rugger8 likes this

Nice write up as alwasy gdawg. Now let me ask you why Mack over Barr in the draft if Clowney is gone?

Mack is NFL ready in my opinion and less bust factor. Barr has played position for two years and still developing. Barr could be very good - just a little more risky to me.

Culain_04 likes this

I just think - even though we have Konz and could have Hawley - just think neither of those guys are the answer.

I think there are answers in the draft to play right guard (Gabe Jackson/Cyril Richardson/David Yankey).

I am not really spending money on the offensive line except for Mack - he's a legit stud - none of the guys you mentioned are.

Thats big money and i think you just need a good center.. Not a Stud center.. Geoff Schwartz has been a very good guard this year starting lately for KC... I have no idea why this guy hasnt gotten a chance to start yet....

I would role with who wins between Hawley and Konz (this is a make it or break it offseason for him) ... Sign Geoff Schwartz ... Give me a JaWuan James in the 3rd round.. I think we will have a better O-Line next year

We would also have a lil more cap to do another move.

Thats big money and i think you just need a good center.. Not a Stud center.. Geoff Schwartz has been a very good guard this year starting lately for KC... I have no idea why this guy hasnt gotten a chance to start yet....

I would role with who wins between Hawley and Konz (this is a make it or break it offseason for him) ... Sign Geoff Schwartz ... Give me a JaWuan James in the 3rd round.. I think we will have a better O-Line next year

We would also have a lil more cap to do another move.

just disagree.....you are talking about $2mm/yr extra cost for Mack over Schwartz and he's a much better player - we will just agree to disagree my friend.

just disagree.....you are talking about $2mm/yr extra cost for Mack over Schwartz and he's a much better player - we will just agree to disagree my friend.

I agree... Overall.. I like the Mock... I feel like with the 1st pick we get a good rusher

g-dawg likes this

Dawg My maan.

I like it and I know Arthur Jones is your man Linval Joseph is mine mate all I'm looking for inside is more stout in the middle you throw Joseph next to Peters our run woes are gone the key for us is getting teams in that situation where we can release Clowney and Umenyiora.

I also think we can get Joseph for alot cheaper than Jones aswell to basically do the same job.

I wonder how much of Jones's pocket wrecking presence is because of Ngata.

Mack I no OC is a key piece but Hawley & Konz hmmmm I wonder if we can get away with both by plugging them in and letting them go at it for another season.

Jackson yep for sure anything that allow's Ryan to step up and help with the running game is a given.

Overall though the head space is right with all your moves though.....smile.pngsmile.png

g-dawg likes this

i cannot take original credit for the Alex Mack signing - it was suggested in another thread by someone else(1989fan) - and I retorted, "yeah but we have Hawley and Konz" - the more I started thinking about it, I said to myself "Self, Hawley and Konz suck - Hawley is a free agent - Konz looks lost - self, go get you a real dayum center and Solve the dayum problem!" biggrin.png

rugger8 likes this

As always, nice work g-dawg.

I like the plan, but I would adjust it by signing Jon Asamoah, instead of Mack.

Despite a lousy first season, I think that Konz is a legit starting Center in the making. I don't think that TD will give up on him just yet. Instead, I see him adding an experienced top-ranked RG and parking him between Konz and Shraeder. In that way, the right side will develop quickly.

I also think that the first step is to upgrade our OL coach.

Solid as usual G-dawg but, unrealistic when it comes to the free agent side.

I would keep Babs one more year on a cheap deal like we did Mud Duck, for rotational and leadership purposes, I believe Babs is the heart and soul of our D.

Also you did not address FS. Toilolo and Marcel Jensen as our TE's, not feeling that at all.

Like the draft picks besides McCullers.

Grade: B -

i cannot take original credit for the Alex Mack signing - it was suggested in another thread by someone else - i retorted, "yeah but we have Hawley and Konz" - the more I started thinking about it, I said to myself "Self, Hawley and Konz suck - Hawley is a free agent - Konz looks lost - self, go get you a real dayum center and Solve the dayum problem!" biggrin.png

I like your free agents in this.

If we can't get Mack, I'd try for DeLa Puente. One way or another, we need a guy who knows how to make line calls and can hold up. Mack is pretty elite, which may be better than necessary, if we can't get him. That's where we need to just get it right. I'd like to pick our franchise LT early in this draft, an immediate starting RG, and then let the rest of our OTs (and OGs) figure out who the RT will be. To me, that's improvement from the top (the LT & C), causing improvement at every other position on the line. If we get a comp pick, I'd also look to pick up an extra OG to compete behind Blalock.

2nd round - Gabe Jackson Love it

3rd round - Daniel McCullers(DT)-6'6", 351lbs-Tennessee Love it- may be available in the 4th, but I want him, so I'm good taking him early

4th round - Jeremy Attaochu(OLB)-6'3", 242lbs-Georgia Tech Love it- I think he'll be a great pass rusher in either a 3-4 or 4-3

5th round - JC Copeland(FB)-6'1", 270lbs-LSU Love it

6th round - Aaron Murray(QB)-6'1", 208lbs-Georgia I get it- I like it

7th round - Marcel Jensen(TE)-6'6", 270lbs-Fresno State

g-dawg likes this