Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g-dawg

2014 Nfl Mock Draft - Picks #1-33

25 posts in this topic

Looking at this draft, this is a very Quarterback-heavy draft and the teams drafting at the top desperately need upgrades at QB - this works in the Falcons favor.

I believe the major players at the top of the draft order will all win one more game and so the draft order is set accordingly. Due to strength of schedule, the Falcons pick 3rd in 1st round and odd rounds and 1st in the even rounds like the 2nd round.

Here goes:

1st round - 2014:

1) Jacksonville(3-13) - QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon

reason: I believe he will ultimately grade out the highest of the QBs and former asst. Falcons GM and current Jaguars GM knows you cannot properly build a team until you have your franchise QB in place.

2) Houston(3-13) - QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

reason: This team is built to turn it around quickly but there is no captain to steer the ship. Neither Schaub nor Keenum are the answer and Bridgewater has the dynamic potential this offense needs. Kubiak, assuming he is safe, knows this. If he gets blown out and a new coach comes in, same thing still applies.

3) Atlanta(3-13) - DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina

reason: Falcons have equal needs on both the offensive and defensive lines. The Falcons need to take the best player at a position of need and Falcons get the best prospect in the entire draft at #3 overall - our luck is turning.

USATSI_7405537.jpg

4) Minnesota(3-12-1) - QB Brett Hundley, UCLA

reason: Vikes have continued to fail with a decent offensive line, good tight end and maybe the best RB ever due to lack of production at the Quarterback position. Missing on Christian Ponder set this franchise back. Hundley may not be ready but he has the size, arm and athletic ability to be special.

5) St. Louis - LT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M (f/ Washington(4-12)

reason: This is another former Falcons asst. GM. This will be an interesting pick because Les Snead did not draft Sam Bradford and Johnny Football is still on the board. In the end, Rams choose to continue to rebuild the lines and hope that Bradford finally stays healthy and realizes his potential.

6) Tampa Bay(4-12) - DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame

reason: It looks like Greg Schiano is going to keep his job and his players finally seem to be buying in. The QB pick(Mike Glennon) looks like a good one as well. This team is "sneaky decent" and adding Nix to a stout D-Line already will allow Tampa's defense to dictate to opposing NFL offenses. Atlanta, watch-out for the Bucs.

7) Cleveland - QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

reason: When your team has QBs named "Weeden, Hoyer & Campbell" it sounds more like a law firm than an NFL QB. Manziel is a wild-card that could be a home-run or a bust. Cleveland GM and fans will embrace the roll-of-the-dice pick. Haha, Johnny Football, you are relegated to the "mistake by the lake".

8) Buffalo - OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo

reason: The Bills embrace the home-town guy who looks like a potential future pro-bowler - further solidifies the front seven of the Bills.

9) Oakland - WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson

reason: Raiders current starting receivers are Denarius Moore and Rod Streeter. They need playmakers on this offense for Terrelle Pryor - slammin' sammy fits the bill.

10) NY Giants - Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

reason: Oh how the mighty defense has fallen. Giants are terrific value drafters and Barr slides down the board a bit.

11) Pittsburgh - LT Taylor Lewan, Michigan

reason: The Steelers simply do not have much talent on the front line and Big Ben needs more protection and the Steelers need to find a running game.

12) Baltimore - WR Marquise Lee, USC

reason: The Ravens are devoid of playmakers and "Bert"(Flacco) needs an "Ernie". Lee brings explosion to the defense.

13) NY Jets - OLB C.J. Mosely, Alabama

reason: Many may be looking for a WR here but this draft does not have a lot of top notch receivers - look for Jets to add one late. The Jets do well on the defensive side of the ball and typically draft well here - Mosely is a playmaker that can wreak havoc behind the Jets stellar D-Line.

14) Miami - OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama

reason: The Dolphins appear to have lost the whole right side of their offensive line with the whole fiasco regarding Incognito/Jonathan Martin.

15) San Diego - CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

reason: The Bolts simply are a sieve on defense and need more coverage on the back-end. They pull the first cornerback off the board here a guy with good size and cover ability.

16) St. Louis - S Haha Clinton Dix, Alabama

reason: The safety position has been a need for the Rams for two years now. Many thought they would take Kenny Vaccarro in last year's draft.

17) Green Bay - TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina

reason: The Pack needs to continue to exploit what makes them special - Aaron Rodgers. We have seen with Aaron hurt just how average the Packers are without him. Ebron is a real receiving threat that will replace the exiting/controversial Jermichael Finley.

18) Chicago - DT Re'shead Hageman, Minnesota

reason: What happened to the vaunted Bears defense? They finally get the offense out of 1st gear and the defense goes to ****. Hageman offers a stoutness in the middle that will bring back the "monsters of the midway".

19) Philadelphia - CB Ifo Ekpre-Olamu, Oregon

reason: The Iggles - for all their fast-break offense, have a hard time getting off the field on defense - need someone who can cover.

20) Arizona - QB Zach Mettenberger, LSU

reason: Carson Palmer is simply a stop-gap solution in the desert. Mett can throw the ball vertically down the field and run the Arians-Vertical offense. He sits for a year and learns from Palmer.

21) Tennessee - WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

reason: Kenny Britt was a bust for the Titans and they do not have a #1. Due to a likely slow 40 time, Evans drops down the board a bit.

22) Dallas - DE/DT Stephen Tuitt, Notre Dame

reason: The Cowboys need to rebuild their D-Line and Tuitt has the length and strength to play both Defensive End and Defensive Tackle.

23) Detroit - OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU

reason: The Lions likely have looked at a lot of film on this guy since he played alongside Ziggy Ansah. This team has the horses up front but they need someone who can roam and make plays behind Ansah/Suh. They will look at WRs in rounds 2/3.

24) Cincinnati - CB Louchey Purifoy, Florida

reason: For all the talent in the front 7, the Bengals still need improvment on the back-end.

25) Cleveland - CB Marcus Roberson, Florida

reason: back-to-back Gator battery mates! Browns need someone to pair with Joe Haden. There are no WRs on board now worthy of 1st round pick.

26) San Francisco - WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt

reason: look at Niners receiver corps. Sure Crabtree has been hurt but Boldin is old and they drafted a guy two years ago that has already been cut - Matthews is a perfect #2 WR on NFL level.

27) New England - OT Zach Martin

reason: because that is what Patriots do - they know the key to winning anything is keeping Tom Brady up-right.

28) Carolina Panthers - CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State

reason: Panthers have a dominant front 7 but need to build up the back of the defense. No WRs worthy of first round selection here but many options in 2nd/3rd rounds.

29) Kansas City - TE Austin Seferian Jenkins, Washington

reason: Alex Smith needs more weapons and Jamal Charles cannot continue to carry this offense all by himself.

30) New Orleans - DT Tim Jernigan, FSU

reason: Saints continue to build the defensive lines which hides their average linebakers.

31) Denver - OG Cyril Richardson, Baylor

reason: Protection issues in the middle of the O-Line has plagued Peyton Manning much like Matt Ryan.

32) Seattle - TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech

reason: The defense in Seahag land is close to set. Its all about getting more weapons for Russell Wilson.

2nd round - 2014

33) Atlanta - OG Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State

reason: No reason needed - just a picture of Garrett Reynolds and Peter Konz will do.

phil-steele-2013-all-sec-first-team-gabe-jackson.jpg

I don't think Mariota declares with as bad as his season has turned lately.

I don't think Mariota declares with as bad as his season has turned lately.

who knows? its early.....these things are easy to pick apart and the best mock guys in the business are lucky if they get 6-7 picks right - plus we are six months away.

I'm sure it would be easy to pick this thing to death - just supposed to stir up discussion. I did go to web and messageboards to try and see what each teams top 2-3 needs were and match with the higher rated prospects.

do you have ADHD?

You are suggesting that Mariota is better than Bridgewater. That is, simply put, laughable. Mariota suffers from the following setbacks:

-Lack of pocket presence.

-Lack of ability to go through progressions.

-Scrambles the moment he notices his hot read isn't isn't open.

-Inaccurate throwing downfield.

-Most of his yards come from quick screens.

He is the product of the read option which is already dead in the water in the NFL as can be seen with Kaepernick struggling mightily without that crutch and RGIII going through growing pains as he learns how to go through progressions. Why would anyone go for him over Bridgewater outside of the GM having a lobotomy?

You are suggesting that Mariota is better than Bridgewater. That is, simply put, laughable. Mariota suffers from the following setbacks:

-Lack of pocket presence.

-Lack of ability to go through progressions.

-Scrambles the moment he notices his hot read isn't isn't open.

-Inaccurate throwing downfield.

-Most of his yards come from quick screens.

He is the product of the read option which is already dead in the water in the NFL as can be seen with Kaepernick struggling mightily without that crutch and RGIII going through growing pains as he learns how to go through progressions. Why would anyone go for him over Bridgewater outside of the GM having a lobotomy?

its six months away - i reserve the right to change my mind biggrin.png.

I don't think any of these guys are in Andrew Luck's class. Mariota has special movement skills and a strong arm. If you are basing this on Kaepernick's year - I think that is a bad reason. Kap is a good QB having a bad year - he played well last night and he will bounce back in 2014.

Its rare to get someone with size, arm strength and mobility - its the holy trinity for QBs. As far as "lack of pocket presence" and "scrambles when hot read is not open" - that is more a function of the offense Oregon runs than Mariota's mental capacity.

its six months away - i reserve the right to change my mind biggrin.png.

I don't think any of these guys are in Andrew Luck's class. Mariota has special movement skills and a strong arm. If you are basing this on Kaepernick's year - I think that is a bad reason. Kap is a good QB having a bad year - he played well last night and he will bounce back in 2014.

Its rare to get someone with size, arm strength and mobility - its the holy trinity for QBs. As far as "lack of pocket presence" and "scrambles when hot read is not open" - that is more a function of the offense Oregon runs than Mariota's mental capacity.

I'm basing it on his own abilities and Kaepernick is the closest comparison to him in the NFL. Kaepernick is also not a good QB. He has a strong arm and is fast but he doesn't do the basics a QB should do. He constantly locks in on his target, he is incapable of going through his progressions, he panics when his hot read isn't open and starts to scramble, he doesn't read defenses pre-snap, etc. He is a RB with a strong arm and without the read option being effective he is performing horribly.

I'm basing it on his own abilities and Kaepernick is the closest comparison to him in the NFL. Kaepernick is also not a good QB. He has a strong arm and is fast but he doesn't do the basics a QB should do. He constantly locks in on his target, he is incapable of going through his progressions, he panics when his hot read isn't open and starts to scramble, he doesn't read defenses pre-snap, etc. He is a RB with a strong arm and without the read option being effective he is performing horribly.

I think NFL GMs try to fall in love with QBs - maybe they won't fall in love with Mariota for the reasons you state - maybe, like someone else points out - Mariota does not even come out. Maybe Hundley does not come out.

Its early.

I think NFL GMs try to fall in love with QBs - maybe they won't fall in love with Mariota for the reasons you state - maybe, like someone else points out - Mariota does not even come out. Maybe Hundley does not come out.

Its early.

I like Hundley at least but I think he should stay in college for another year. He has great upside and I think his style of play will translate well in the NFL but he needs to get polished some more before making the jump. Mariota, on the other hand, will not translate well. The read option is what makes him a good college player and the read option is already getting phased out of the NFL. Combine that with him struggling as of late and looking like garbage against Stanford for a vast majority of that game and I doubt teams will be as high on him as the talking heads are. He's a gimmicky QB.

g-dawg likes this

I like Hundley at least but I think he should stay in college for another year. He has great upside and I think his style of play will translate well in the NFL but he needs to get polished some more before making the jump. Mariota, on the other hand, will not translate well. The read option is what makes him a good college player and the read option is already getting phased out of the NFL. Combine that with him struggling as of late and looking like garbage against Stanford for a vast majority of that game and I doubt teams will be as high on him as the talking heads are. He's a gimmicky QB.

http://fansided.com/2013/11/19/2014-nfl-draft-marcus-mariota-getting-compared-cam-newton/

Gil Brandt disagrees on Mariota:

There are just a few weeks remaining in the college football regular season, which means players are running out of time to show the NFL scouts what they can do on the field and highlight the skills that will make them successful at the next level.

Much of the conversation focuses around the top draft prospects for next year’s draft and who the “can’t miss” prospects will be.

While many draft analysts are saying Jameis Winston and Teddy Bridgewater are the guys you will want to build your team around, one of the most respected guys in the business, Gil Brandt, is going with Marcus Mariota of Oregon.

From NFL.com’s Gil Brandt:

Marcus Mariota is a smaller version of
, with more accuracy as a passer than Newton at the same age (although Newton is much improved now). When you see what Mariota did against Washington and Washington State, two pretty good defensive teams; vs. Tennessee, a fast defensive team; and UCLA, a great defensive team, you have to be impressed. Many people might say, “Well, yeah, but what about his game against Stanford?” I think he did pretty well in the second half after making adjustments. He’s a player I’d pick to build my NFL franchise around.

With how well Newton has been doing in recent weeks, this is great praise.

Mariota will have to decide whether he wants to declare for the 2014 NFL Draft once Oregon’s 2013 season is over or if he wants one more try to lead his team to a national title, but regardless of what he chooses he will be a highly sought after player once he is eligible to be selected.

http://fansided.com/...red-cam-newton/

Gil Brandt disagrees on Mariota:

There are just a few weeks remaining in the college football regular season, which means players are running out of time to show the NFL scouts what they can do on the field and highlight the skills that will make them successful at the next level.

Much of the conversation focuses around the top draft prospects for next year’s draft and who the “can’t miss” prospects will be.

While many draft analysts are saying Jameis Winston and Teddy Bridgewater are the guys you will want to build your team around, one of the most respected guys in the business, Gil Brandt, is going with Marcus Mariota of Oregon.

From NFL.com’s Gil Brandt:

Marcus Mariota is a smaller version of
, with more accuracy as a passer than Newton at the same age (although Newton is much improved now). When you see what Mariota did against Washington and Washington State, two pretty good defensive teams; vs. Tennessee, a fast defensive team; and UCLA, a great defensive team, you have to be impressed. Many people might say, “Well, yeah, but what about his game against Stanford?” I think he did pretty well in the second half after making adjustments. He’s a player I’d pick to build my NFL franchise around.

With how well Newton has been doing in recent weeks, this is great praise.

Mariota will have to decide whether he wants to declare for the 2014 NFL Draft once Oregon’s 2013 season is over or if he wants one more try to lead his team to a national title, but regardless of what he chooses he will be a highly sought after player once he is eligible to be selected.

And Newton was taken #1 overall since no one better was available, namely because Luck decided to stay for another year. Mariota will not get that benefit. He is simply too flawed a player to supplant Bridgewater. The only possible way I see that happening is if some catastrophically stupid front office gets so focused on his upside and tools that they ignore how big of a project he's going to be and how he won't have the read option crutch when he gets into the league. He maybe a good fit with the Vikings, on second thought...

"way too early" when Falcons are 2-9? I think not!!!

No too early before the full draft order is done and it's Dec.

I'm looking at the QBs in this class and there aren't any Matt Ryan's, or Andrew lucks in it. Bridgewater looks ok, but is he a franchise guy?

If Clowney grades out at combine as an elite athlete, I could see him being a target of either Jax or Houston, and maybe see either team try to trade back into latter part of first round for a QB

I'm looking at the QBs in this class and there aren't any Matt Ryan's, or Andrew lucks in it. Bridgewater looks ok, but is he a franchise guy?

If Clowney grades out at combine as an elite athlete, I could see him being a target of either Jax or Houston, and maybe see either team try to trade back into latter part of first round for a QB

Agreed, I haven't look at each qb in this class with a fine comb but, just at a casual look over this class of qbs is weak. I do like Derek Carr and Brett Hundley(would like him to stay another year tho). Even tho I'am iffy on Clowney, I do think he is the best pro ready prospect.
MSalmon likes this

There are scouts who see Bridgewater as a Luck type prospect. They say the only negative on him is that he's a bit of a ball patter.

Once again. History has taught us that the Falcons will put together a meaningless strong finish to the year. Count on five wins. Don't count on Clowney.

There are scouts who see Bridgewater as a Luck type prospect. They say the only negative on him is that he's a bit of a ball patter.

Scouts seem divided on this kid for sure.