How Many Holes Does This Team Really Have When Healthy?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 THE ICEMAN

THE ICEMAN

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

This defense at least on paper looks pretty legit if you pencil in a top 5 draft pick???Clowney/Barr/Mack/Nix??? as well as Kroy Beirman coming back these young LB's look legit and have dent as a nice fill in the corners seem like there improving and should be good starters. I think Corey Peters is maybe the most underated guy on the defense(how you think PW has racked up all these tackles some one has to be eating up blocks) I'm done with babs we need to let him go he does get a lot of pressure but misses way to many tackles Decoud needs to go aswell.

Then throw in possibly adding Michael Johnson as well to this defense the only hole we could have is Decoud/FS and DT/3-4 DE.

Even looking on offense it isn't all that bad I think youth has hurt the offense as much as the defense as Konz and Holmes just look lost at times and really had no one to turn to for answers (would have been McClure in the past) the "vets" so to say didn't play really in Baker and Johnson(who going into his 5th season we'll never no if he would have been any good I'd like to think he'd been better than True blood or Holmes) I actually think Holmes may keep the RT spot as you can help one guy and especially a tackle Baker can play if he can stay healthy(which is always a big if but we're stuck with him so he will be the LT like it or not)

I think the year has been very unique in the way all the injuries have happened Falcons had to of seen this coming if they had major injuries depending on so many young players I just didn't think they expect to see this amount of injuries and to who they have happened to there has been a lot of learning and teaching going on and as much as we've bashed the ccoaching staff these young CB's and LB's have made huge jumps in play and the Johnson kid has shown he has some talent as well. The OL has just been horrible and the falcons actually expected huge improvement there and got nothing but for the most part the other young guys have shown they can play.

#2 primetime

primetime

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:10 AM

I kind if agree overall - WHEN HEALTGY we only need a few pieces and we should be able to get it sorted thru FA and the draft

Quality right tackle - Holmes still needs some experience and most likely will spend half the season backing up baker anyway. Holmes works as the swing tackle. I'd go FA

Quality right guard - Reynolds needs to go. Hawley can stay as backup C and OG. Draft

RB - SJaxs replacement. Snelling is gone and quizz is the 3rd down. Draft

FS - we need an alternate option to Decoud. He can work when the teams firing but he can't make plays when the team is struggling. We need a guy who's highs and lows arnt so extreme at FS. FA

DT - resign peters but clearly we need a stout DT to command the double team. Let either Babs or Peria go depending on who's best cap wise. Draft

This team could be back in playoffs next season if they stay healthy and sort these areas

#3 J-Wall

J-Wall

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:42 AM

5 offensive lineman and about 2 studs on the Dline

#4 mrfactor

mrfactor

Practice Squad

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:12 AM

5 O-lineman would be nice.

Realistically grab 2 FA guards with a great rep. Dump Reynolds. Keep Konz around because I think with some weightroom work, he is young enough to work out down the road. he can at least serve as a back up while he ages and improves. I think Konz and Holmes were asked to grow up too soon. We still need to address immediate needs at OT. Holmes still needs time. Baker is an enigma who got paid. There's a lot more to the whole Baker situation in terms of loyalty and maybe a little nepotism there, so cutting him flat out is complicated. Still need to get a solid backup there, who can fill in and just take the spot flat out if it comes to that.

Dump Steven Jackson in the offseason. Sorry it didnt work out with him too.  Ben Tate(Houston Texans) will be a FA this year(I think). He's a younger version of SJAX. Tate fits here because he can catch out of the backfield though. Turner couldnt. Tate's on my wishlist.

This will be met with plenty of controversy, but here goes... TRADE RODDY WHITE. He was the most prolific receiver the team has ever had. Can we get 2 picks out of him and reduce our ccap number? Quite possibly. That will provide some more cap relief and likely another 2 picks this year. Looking at the Pats and Denver's salary division, both teams have most of their money tied up at the QB position and the O-line, and NOT WR. Their QB's have the time to walk on water. I believe Denver will be sending at least 2 WR to the probowl this year. With Julio, we have at least 1 stud at WR. Make it happen before we have to entertain a long deal with Julio. HD could be a solid 2. A low end experienced FA can be acquired. TG will be gone and so will his 7.5 million salary. I think Tiololo will be promoted and tested. A solid low end FA can be grabbed here too as insurance. Be sure that the low end FA is a great blocker.

Draft a Defense that can stop somebody on 3rd down. We still need a solid pass rusher. If we get the #1 overall... Clowney... He and Osi will generate the rush needed along with the usual rotation. this will take the pressure off our young, fast, but inexperienced CB's. Alford gets a promotion and Asante Samuel is let go. Yes, we will have to draft another CB to throw into the rotation. Let Nicholas go. Draft another LB or 2. After all of those Defensive holes are addressed, draft the best players available and work them in as depth in their respective positions.  

Mr Blank, I am available to assit Mr Dimitroff. Gimme a call.

#5 ChristianFaurholt

ChristianFaurholt

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

The problem is that I don't think tey'll admit that Konz is a bust - he is too expensive..

Baker, Blalock, new center, Hawley, new rt

But what about the TE, do we draft or go with toilolo

#6 ya_boi_j

ya_boi_j

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,984 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

Offensive line, DT, Asante, decoud. If entire team was healthy, these positions / players are our weak links.

#7 BirdonaWire88

BirdonaWire88

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Thing is Ewing Baker Spoon and Julio all seem to be made of glass. Don't know if any of them are capable of playing for an extended period without recurring injury. Julio scares me man, how damaged is that foot really ? None of us know for sure. He's a big guy that jumps 10 feet in the air and lands on it time after time.  Very troubling that we will have to break the bank to keep him and then be at the mercy of a screw.

#8 JG2008

JG2008

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

We have 9 holes to fill

MLB, and one OLB
All 5 positions on the Oline
And 2 positions on Dline

#9 ya_boi_j

ya_boi_j

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,984 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostJG2008, on 23 November 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

We have 9 holes to fill

MLB, and one OLB
All 5 positions on the Oline
And 2 positions on Dline
you have no faith in Bartu and Worrilow

#10 1989Fan

1989Fan

Sometimes I'm right every time

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

Holes when healthy:
Oc, rg, rt, le, olb, fs (if keeping baker you basically need two starting lt though, making his contract even more prohibitive)

I think they will see Worrilow as the future ilb, w Dent as security, but i dont think Bartu has secured anything for 2014.

With our whole dt rotation upcoming ufa, add two dts to that as well. I think we re-sign Peters quickly though. I would like to see him extended asap personally. He is the most important to keep imo.

And that is just the starting lineup! With that said i do realize not every position can be superstars. Which is why i didnt list SS, TE or LG as holes as well.

#11 Karst41

Karst41

Uncle Fester

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,556 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Boy O Boy, is this topic loaded for Bear or what?

I will take or What for $500 Alex!

Safety (DeCoud)
LB  (need more depth)
CB, (need 2 more (depth) (Asante & Franks)
DE (yowsa!Osi/Bierman) this is IMO our #1 defensive concern (draft)
DL my thinking is FA or stand pat.
I see it like this.
Lets say we get Clowney and the guy is for reals.
Now you have Clowney, Osi, and Babbs.
Peters will Shine with that grouping.

Center,(Hawley is depth)
RG , (major concern)
OT    (concern)
RB   (we could stand pat, not advised)

9 holes to fill!

#12 LouDog.

LouDog.

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

WE need a complete overhaul on the OLine with the exception of Blaylock. (Not great but good enough to hang on to while we upgrade the rest). We need 2 big DTs. Another DE if possible. (But not Clowney in the first) A CB to replace Asante and if possible one to replace Franks also. (Although Id be willing to deal with Franks one more year) We also need to pick up a FB in the offseason. We need another option for if DeCoud tanks again but I want to see a good D around him before im ready to give up on him completely

#13 falconsd56

falconsd56

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

We do NOT need 5 linemen

The only really absolute need on the  line  right now is RT.

We need better play from the RG  but I am not convinced we need a new guard.   Konz has shown enough  to be a good guard with a good offseason.

We only really have 2 or 3 absolutely most have needs but we have several positions that could use an upgrade.

#14 Karst41

Karst41

Uncle Fester

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,556 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

View Postfalconsd56, on 23 November 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

We do NOT need 5 linemen

We need better play from the RG  but I am not convinced we need a new guard.   Konz has shown enough  to be a good guard with a good offseason.

We only really have 2 or 3 absolutely most have needs but we have several positions that could use an upgrade.

We have to address the team based on the right here and now.
There are no guarantees that Biermann or Johnson can make a comeback.
This is also refered to as a failsafe, because if both comeback then that
is bonus.

#15 LouDog.

LouDog.

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

We do NOT need 5 linemen

Konz has shown absolutely nothing

#16 I Keep It One Hundred!

I Keep It One Hundred!

Rookie

• Banned Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostLouDog., on 23 November 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Konz has shown absolutely nothing
He has played better the last 2 weeks. He seems to be getting lower and after snapping the ball he is not getting pushed back lime before. Reynolds needs to be replaced imo

#17 I MUS WRITE

I MUS WRITE

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Why do so many people on this message board like Ben Tate ive watch some Texans games and he really doesn't show me much he runs hard yada yada yada but we could find a better running back in the draft and just for the record Peter Kons is straight garbage no amount of weight room or strength training is going to help that guy he is just weak for ol

Edited by I MUS WRITE, 23 November 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#18 muskokas finest

muskokas finest

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

We do NOT need 5 linemen
Maybe not all in one offseason

#19 ☼UnrealFalcon☼

☼UnrealFalcon☼

Yea, I've survived the '07 season

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

DT is one of the biggest needs with 3 of our guys becoming FAs. We need 2 to be replaced and 1 has to be resigned

#20 PokerSteve

PokerSteve

Just Wants a Lombardi Dammit!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostBirdonaWire88, on 23 November 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Thing is Ewing Baker Spoon and Julio all seem to be made of glass. Don't know if any of them are capable of playing for an extended period without recurring injury. Julio scares me man, how damaged is that foot really ? None of us know for sure. He's a big guy that jumps 10 feet in the air and lands on it time after time.  Very troubling that we will have to break the bank to keep him and then be at the mercy of a screw.
Yeah, they all seem fragile. Julio is not a player we can afford to lose to injury, but it's becoming a real concern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users