Nfl On Fox: What Happened Between Jonathan Martin And Richie Incognito?

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

#61 mdrake34

mdrake34

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,727 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

View Postthe F-GAtor, on 06 November 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

dude went from private school to auburen "yuppy rednecks)to law school. All he's seen is stereotypes and words.

Auburn didn't have a law school, how many ******* times have I told you this ed.  I went to Auburn for undergrad, then elsewhere for law school.  Get that through your thick skull.

#62 LouDog.

LouDog.

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Martin should come on over to the Falcons. I assure you we have nothing but a bunch of pansies on our offensive line so he would fit right in.

#63 eatcorn

eatcorn

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,563 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

So: an employer encourages an employee to 'toughen up' another employee. That 'toughening' happens via racial epithets, threats of violence, and endless harrassment, so the employee receiving those threats should have just beaten everyone up, lest he be called a 'p---y'?

That's really, really dumb.

#64 Summerbunny

Summerbunny

I'M THAT!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Wonder how this conversation would go had Martin walked in the team facility and shot Incognito or a couple of other people as well. Maybe, he caught himself and walked away to keep from forcing some families to arrange funerals.

Saying he should have stood up for himself is cool and all but how do you control the extent for which one stands up for themselves. If he truly felt danger, would he be justified to bust a cap in someone's azz.

I think he did the right thing. Sometimes, you don't take things into your own hands.

#65 The Legendary SB

The Legendary SB

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostSummerbunny, on 06 November 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I think he did the right thing. Sometimes, you don't take things into your own hands.

Abandoning his team and going to the media was not the right way to handle it.  I think just about every NFL player would agree with that.

#66 eatcorn

eatcorn

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,563 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostSummerbunny, on 06 November 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I don't think there's anything he could have done that wouldn't have been met with criticism, honestly. And that's part of what sucks about the whole thing.

View PostThe Legendary SB, on 06 November 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

Abandoning his team and going to the media was not the right way to handle it.  I think just about every NFL player would agree with that.
Martin did not go to the media.

#67 LouDog.

LouDog.

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

View Posteatcorn, on 06 November 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

So: an employer encourages an employee to 'toughen up' another employee. That 'toughening' happens via racial epithets, threats of violence, and endless harrassment, so the employee receiving those threats should have just beaten everyone up, lest he be called a 'p---y'?

That's really, really dumb.
Incognito is a ***** and should be permanently suspended from the NFL but Martin is ******* massive and needed to man up a bit

#68 eatcorn

eatcorn

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,563 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostDwight83, on 06 November 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Incognito is a ***** and should be permanently suspended from the NFL but Martin is ******* massive and needed to man up a bit
And do what? Get suspended for fighting? Get sued by Incognito? Go to the coach and get ostracized for 'tattling'?

#69 Summerbunny

Summerbunny

I'M THAT!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostThe Legendary SB, on 06 November 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

So he's expected to stick by people and concern himself with people who showed no regard for him. The "team" is not just one person it's every player and when one is under attack they are all under attack. Incognito is on leadership team for organization. What avenue did he have?...especially if a coach put Incognito up to it?  I'm still leaning toward busting a cap in his azz, but then that would have been cowardly too.

#70 The Legendary SB

The Legendary SB

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,060 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostSummerbunny, on 06 November 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

So he's expected to stick by people and concern himself with people who showed no regard for him.

Yes.  That's what he's being paid $4,784,267 to do.  Give me that kind of money and I'd be happy to put up with Incognito's BS.

#71 LouDog.

LouDog.

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

View Posteatcorn, on 06 November 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

And do what? Get suspended for fighting? Get sued by Incognito? Go to the coach and get ostracized for 'tattling'?
If he honestly feared for his life then he should have called the cops or whipped his ***. If he didn't fear for his life then bailing on the team is a punk move.

#72 silentbob1272

silentbob1272

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

View Posteatcorn, on 06 November 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

You're a football fan right? Do you have any clue how many fights happen during any given team's training camp? That statement was asinine, as was the one about getting sued by Incognito. That dude is a lot of things, but NOTHING in his history lends any credence to that being how he would handle getting into a fight.

The being ostracized for tattling on the other hand would almost certainly have happened. As it should have, again these are grown men.

#73 eatcorn

eatcorn

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,563 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostDwight83, on 06 November 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

If he honestly feared for his life then he should have called the cops or whipped his ***. If he didn't fear for his life then bailing on the team is a punk move.
And then be permanently ostracized when Incognito said it was all just a big joke.

#74 eatcorn

eatcorn

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,563 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postsilentbob1272, on 06 November 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

You're a football fan right? Do you have any clue how many fights happen during any given team's training camp? That statement was asinine, as was the one about getting sued by Incognito. That dude is a lot of things, but NOTHING in his history lends any credence to that being how he would handle getting into a fight.

The being ostracized for tattling on the other hand would almost certainly have happened. As it should have, again these are grown men.
Yes, they do happen. That doesn't mean that forcing a fight in a peaceful situation is the right thing to do.

#75 mdrake34

mdrake34

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,727 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Football players assume the risk of injury anytime they step onto the game or practice field, so Martin could likely escape legal liability if he started a fight on the field.  But to the extent anyone is implying he should have sucker punched him in the locker room or parking lot, that lands him in hot water both civilly and criminally.

#76 iQue

iQue

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

View Posttahuyaman, on 06 November 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

All he had to do was stand up for himself and tell incognito to go f**k himself.  He could have told him to go get someone else to be your b***ch.  it would have been over.
Not when the whole offensive line unit was against him.

#77 muskokas finest

muskokas finest

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

Does this type of "toughening up" happen in the military?  Why do we consider it a rite of passage in the services, but feign outrage when it happens in pro sports.

The reason this is a story is that Jonathan Martin obviously needed "toughening up"

#78 holymoses

holymoses

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

View Posttahuyaman, on 06 November 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Maybe they were against him because he didn't have the balls to stand up for himself?  Maybe that would have changed had he grown a sack.

Just For the heck of it, I wonder if you think that Sarah Palin should just "grow a sack"?

#79 LouDog.

LouDog.

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

View Posteatcorn, on 06 November 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

And then be permanently ostracized when Incognito said it was all just a big joke.
yet he wont be ostracized for running and hiding and leaving the team?

#80 eatcorn

eatcorn

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,563 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostDwight83, on 06 November 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

yet he wont be ostracized for running and hiding and leaving the team?
He might, and he might not.

He had no good alternative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users