Nfl On Fox: What Happened Between Jonathan Martin And Richie Incognito?

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

#41 muskokas finest ©

muskokas finest ©

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,050 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

Richie's finest moment

#42 Billy Ocean

Billy Ocean

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

It seems like a lot of NFL players like to hang out shirtless with their brose at bars.

#43 mdrake34

mdrake34

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,447 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Most pro athletes have a lot of homoerotic tendencies.

#44 AREA 51

AREA 51

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

View Postmuskokas finest ©, on 05 November 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

What is very interesting in this whole sordid mess is that Dolphin teammates are coming out saying good things about Incognito, but are very quiet on Jonathan Martin.

Maybe there is more to the story, or more likely players just do not want to publicly get involved, because they may fear some kind of retribution if they say anything. To me, it does not matter. The phone messages alone are all anyone should need to know. If they are verified as real, then there is just not much more to say.

Those who say Martin should have handled this differently, should also concede, that if Incognito had a problem with Martin, he should have handled it like an adult, not like some cowardly bully.

Edited by AREA51, 05 November 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#45 holymoses

holymoses

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostThe Legendary SB, on 05 November 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

And for the record I think both Incognito and Martin are in the wrong.  

Incognito is a piece of s*** and should be kicked out of the NFL

Martin is thin skinned, abandoned his team when they needed him, and lacks some testicular fortitude for a man his size.

They both suck.  Glad neither of these guys are Atlanta Falcons.

WTF?!?!  "Abandoned his team when they needed him." . . . This is a professional athlete working in a hostile work environment.   Team loyalty is built on  . . .WHAT?

Oh Yeah. . . . It's built on TEAM LOYALTY.  So what in BLAZES kind of loyalty did the team show Martin?  Who stuck up for him?  Who did anything to stop the abuse?  Of COURSE team loyalty is essential for the success of a football team.  But it must be cultivated.

Frankly, I think Martin would be a chump to have any loyalty for a team that let cr#p like this go on.

Think about that, SB . . . and tell me I'm wrong!

#46 Johnny_Redskin

Johnny_Redskin

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

We all know Ritchie is a tool but Martin is a big P***y/

#47 Johnny_Redskin

Johnny_Redskin

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

I don't think Martin will be in the NFl very long.

#48 muskokas finest ©

muskokas finest ©

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,050 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostAREA51, on 05 November 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Maybe there is more to the story, or more likely players just do not want to publicly get involved, because they may fear some kind of retribution if they say anything. To me, it does not matter. The phone messages alone are all anyone should need to know. If they are verified as real, then there is just not much more to say.

Those who say Martin should have handled this differently, should also concede, that if Incognito had a problem with Martin, he should have handled it like an adult, not like some cowardly bully.
The "more to the story" could be cowardly bully is more of a convenient fall guy.

#49 mdrake34

mdrake34

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,447 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

The "more to the story," per twitter just now, is that dolphins coaches told Incognito to "toughen up" Martin after he missed voluntary workouts as a rookie. Ruh roh.

#50 Forever Julian

Forever Julian

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

View Postmdrake34, on 05 November 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

The "more to the story," per twitter just now, is that dolphins coaches told Incognito to "toughen up" Martin after he missed voluntary workouts as a rookie. Ruh roh.

This could get really ugly if its true.

#51 The Legendary SB

The Legendary SB

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,258 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

View Postholymoses, on 05 November 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Think about that, SB . . . and tell me I'm wrong!

You're wrong.  These guys get paid millions to play ball 16 regular season games a season.  

Soldiers in Afghanistan have a hostile work environment too.  But they do their job, and they are getting paid a fraction of what these players are making.

And if you don't think Martin's absence hurt the team...they had to put Clabo back at RT with Martin out.  OUCH!!!

#52 The Legendary SB

The Legendary SB

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,258 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

Anyway just like the Redskins name thing, this is just a blown up story to divert our attention from Obamacare and Bengazi Posted Image

#53 Truthhurts

Truthhurts

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

View Postmdrake34, on 04 November 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

I'm waiting internet tough guys. I'd love to hear how it would be no big deal to leave one of your co-workers a voicemail like Incognito left Martin.
Not all tough guys are bullies or support intimidation tactics. Not all tough guys think violence is the answer to every problem. In fact, it takes a tougher than tough type of dude not to resort to violence sometimes.
Not surprising you've never known any real tough guys, they don't hang with MB frauds ;)

#54 silentbob1272

silentbob1272

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

View Posttahuyaman, on 06 November 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

Looks like a very large number of NFL players are taking Incognito's side.

What I don't think people are getting, or at least acknowledging is that a NFL locker room is not the corporate office environment that most of us are used to. They are full of alpha males all establishing a pecking order and judging the toughness of the other guys on their team. Despite Goodell's best efforts to ruin many aspects of the game, pro football is still a violent contact sport, played by very physically tough men. The majority probably are not going to be too sympathetic to another player complaining that he is being bullied. Let's be honest, most of these guys have been "the man" at most every school and social setting they have attended. It comes with the prestige of being a star athlete, and the worst player in the NFL was still the star player on every team and at every school growing up. The vast majority of these guys have probably never faced this type bullying, beyond hazing....which I don't care what anyone says, is not the same. So when this man was picked on, he buckled. NFL players aren't going to rally behind another player who ran from a confrontation like this.

I have nothing but sympathy for children who have to endure being bullied, but this is a grown man, with an adult perspective and judgement on what is being done to him. He could have responded in a number of ways, but he chose the response that is the antithesis of how many would judge as the response of a "strong man". You may disagree, but I'll be surprised if many football player do.

For children, I still think the best advice, and what I will tell my son someday and is the same as my dad told me:

"The first time someone picks on you, and I'm not talking about jokes, you will know the difference, bust them is their ******* jaw. Whether you win the fight or lose it, they probably will not pick you to try to bully again. If they are really stupid and do try. Do the exact same thing again the very next time."

I had to do this twice (never the second time), and was beaten up in one of those fights, but the old man was right as rain. I never felt bullied at any time in school. I hope and truly pray that my children never have to go through that sort of thing in school. It's awful. I hear about these poor kids that have killed themselves as a result of relentless bullying and it leaves you speechless, but an adult is much better equipped to deal with a bully than a child. Martin could not have handled this in a much poorer fashion. **** Incognito, dude is a complete *******, but Martin and the Dolphins organization share some blame in this fiasco as well.

#55 Headshøt

Headshøt

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Of course Incognito is a giant piece of ****, and of course Martin should have been able to go to work without having to deal with stuff like this, but I do agree to some extent that this Martin dude is a mirror image of our increasingly goofy and soft society. Have some self respect and ******* stand up for yourself. You don't have to throw punches to fight back.

Had Jonathan Martin told everyone to **** off and go to work and showed up to team workouts, nobody would have ever suggested that he "needs to be toughened up." I'm not even old and I already see a massive shift in the mental landscape of younger generations. You quit and went home because people were making fun of you? What the **** is wrong with you? If someone talks **** to you, either ignore it or tell them to kiss your *** and then go do your job. Don't cower in fear and run away because some overgrown racist jerkoff is leaving you moronic voicemails.

#56 the F-GAtor

the F-GAtor

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

View Postmdrake34, on 05 November 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Most pro athletes have a lot of homoerotic tendencies.
da fuq

#57 the F-GAtor

the F-GAtor

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostTruthhurts, on 06 November 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

Not all tough guys are bullies or support intimidation tactics. Not all tough guys think violence is the answer to every problem. In fact, it takes a tougher than tough type of dude not to resort to violence sometimes
Not surprising you've never known any real tough guys, they don't hang with MB frauds Posted Image
dude went from private school to auburen "yuppy rednecks)to law school. All he's seen is stereotypes and words.

#58 Headshøt

Headshøt

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

View Postthe F-GAtor, on 06 November 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

da fuq
If you've ever been in a locker room, you wouldn't find this to be such a surprising statement.

#59 the F-GAtor

the F-GAtor

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

The erotic part, I've been in some locker rooms nothing erotic ever happened.

#60 mdrake34

mdrake34

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,447 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostThe Legendary SB, on 06 November 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

You're wrong.  These guys get paid millions to play ball 16 regular season games a season.  

Soldiers in Afghanistan have a hostile work environment too.  But they do their job, and they are getting paid a fraction of what these players are making.

And if you don't think Martin's absence hurt the team...they had to put Clabo back at RT with Martin out.  OUCH!!!

In this context, hostile work environment is not the every day realities of the job, but the situation created when a co-worker or boss harasses or otherwise makes employment uncomfortable for an employee.  Soldiers sign up for the dangers or armed service, just as football players sign up for the dangers of playing a violent game.  However, soldiers and football players do not sign up for, and are not expected to just deal with, harassment from their co-workers or bosses.  There are prohibitions against such conduct and procedures to deal with same.  Soldiers especially are not supposed to deal with a work environment like that, it undermines their morality and the defense of the country.  Soldiers do ****** up things to each other all the time, and they get the book thrown at them for it.

My point being, you're equivocating the dangers inherent to a job to inappropriate conduct by one's coworkers.  They are not one in the same.

I agree with HM that he was not shown any loyalty by his teammates or coaches.  They had to know something was going on.  Apparently the problem is more pervasive in that locker room, reports are surfacing that there is dissension in that locker room because other young players have had to pay more than their share in social gatherings with vets.  While he can't baby sit them 24/7, that's on Philbin to try and prevent things like that.

But to the extent that Martin is at fault, he's not totally blameless.  He should have approached the coaching staff (which he may not have felt comfortable doing given their desire to "toughen him up"), or the NFLPA, or even just an attorney who could have helped him address the situation.  He shouldn't have just gone AWOL.

View PostCap Tipper, on 06 November 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Of course Incognito is a giant piece of ****, and of course Martin should have been able to go to work without having to deal with stuff like this, but I do agree to some extent that this Martin dude is a mirror image of our increasingly goofy and soft society. Have some self respect and ******* stand up for yourself. You don't have to throw punches to fight back.

Had Jonathan Martin told everyone to **** off and go to work and showed up to team workouts, nobody would have ever suggested that he "needs to be toughened up." I'm not even old and I already see a massive shift in the mental landscape of younger generations. You quit and went home because people were making fun of you? What the **** is wrong with you? If someone talks **** to you, either ignore it or tell them to kiss your *** and then go do your job. Don't cower in fear and run away because some overgrown racist jerkoff is leaving you moronic voicemails.

Yeah, to the extent any of my posts have appeared to condone Martin jumping ship, I don't think he handled this correctly either.  I don't think he should have had to get in a fist fight in Incognito, but he could have handled it differently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users