#621 Falconsfan567

Falconsfan567

BIG T IS IN DA HOUSE!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,519 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

View Postvirginiafalcon, on 20 December 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

One thing to note about the Doumit trade that I haven't seen noted is that he has very good numbers against right-handed pitching, which is an area that Gattis really struggled with.

I agree that the Braves probably see Doumit as more of a pinch-hitter off the bench than an every-game catcher.  He's probably more of Reed Johnson's replacement than he is Brian McCann's.

This does definitely mean we want Bethancourt to spend another year in the minor leagues.

Which all makes me pretty sad we gave up Gilmartin for Doumit, despise Gilmatrin's poor recent / injury history.

Why be sad about losing Gilmartin? He had clearly fallen down the prospects list. The Braves won't miss him and got a guy that could be a very valuable piece in 2014 for the major league club.

At best Gilmartin turns into Scott Diamond 2.0 for the Twins, another guy the Braves traded to the Twins. Both are very lowly ceiling guys that aren't missed.

#622 Unkn0wn

Unkn0wn

Cameron Crazy

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,521 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

Gilmartin could be a capable SP but you have to look at it as the Braves are just so deep at SP in the system that it allows them the chance to trade a guy like Gilmartin

#623 Falconsfan567

Falconsfan567

BIG T IS IN DA HOUSE!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,519 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostUnkn0wn, on 20 December 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Gilmartin could be a capable SP but you have to look at it as the Braves are just so deep at SP in the system that it allows them the chance to trade a guy like Gilmartin

Exactly. Braves traded Gilmartin for a useful piece for the 2014 team and he want be missed. Good trade by Wren.

#624 K26dp

K26dp

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

The Dourmit trade is exactly the kind of trade the Braves should make. Gilmartin was not going to help the team in 2014, and it's questionable if he's actually good enough to ever break the Braves rotation.

While I like Joey Terdoslavich's bat in the long-term, I suspect the team and most fans would prefer a proven hitter like Dourmit coming off the bench in a key at-bat of a key game. Dourmit is also only signed through 2014, so he doesn't represent much of any risk from a financial standpoint that could keep the Braves bandwagon from rolling along for several years.

#625 Falconsfan567

Falconsfan567

BIG T IS IN DA HOUSE!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,519 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:50 AM

Could Wilson Betemit's career come full circle? Rumor is the Braves are interested in signing him. I remember it like it was yesterday when Betemit was considered the next great thing and made his MLB debut at a very young age. I remember the shocking feeling when he was traded to the Dodgers just a couple days after Chipper got hurt 1 year. He was finally going to be given the chance to start everyday and the Braves traded him for Willy Aybar. Why? I still have no idea why that trade was made. If I remember correctly it was 2005.

#626 Unkn0wn

Unkn0wn

Cameron Crazy

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,521 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Betemit would be a solid addition. A good PH that can play 1B/3B/2B/OF.

#627 WOR

WOR

Captain Fancypants

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,203 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think if we can stay healthy to an extent we will have the best record in the NL this year.

#628 Falconsfan567

Falconsfan567

BIG T IS IN DA HOUSE!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,519 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostWOR, on 21 December 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

I think if we can stay healthy to an extent we will have the best record in the NL this year.

Team sure is looking good enough to do that but the Cardinals look really good too although losing Beltran could be a huge blow to them.

#629 K26dp

K26dp

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

I had a dream last night that the Braves traded Medlen, Avilian, Bethancourt, and Jose Peraza to the Rays for David Price, then locked Price up with a six year, $90 million contract.

I wonder if that deal would be enough.

#630 Falconsfan567

Falconsfan567

BIG T IS IN DA HOUSE!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,519 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostK26dp, on 23 December 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

I had a dream last night that the Braves traded Medlen, Avilian, Bethancourt, and Jose Peraza to the Rays for David Price, then locked Price up with a six year, $90 million contract.

I wonder if that deal would be enough.

That might be enough to get Price but I don't know if he would agree to that extenstion. I wonder if how the Rays view Avilian? They might want another starting pitcher in place of Avilian although Avilian along with Medlen helps their MLB team which is what they want from a deal. MLB players plus prospects that are very close to the majors. Bethancourt is very close and one of the guys they wanted in a deal but I don't know how close Pereza is. But I gotta think Pereza would be very coveted in a trade.

Overall though if that were to happen, in the words of Skip Caray, "We can dance in the streets."

#631 K26dp

K26dp

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostFalconsfan567™, on 23 December 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

That might be enough to get Price but I don't know if he would agree to that extenstion.

Well, it literally was a dream, so I'm surprised it made any sense at all.

Based on other recent contracts, Price would likely command @6 years/$155 million, better than the Grienke and Hammels deals, just under Sabathia's last deal.

#632 K26dp

K26dp

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

Also, in this market, Anibal Sanchez's 5 year/$80M extension last season is looking like a steal.

#633 Falconsfan567

Falconsfan567

BIG T IS IN DA HOUSE!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,519 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

It's just 2 months until the Braves are back! Braves take on the Tigers in the 1st game of ST on February 26th!

#634 Unkn0wn

Unkn0wn

Cameron Crazy

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,521 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Braves bolstered their 1B depth a couple of weeks ago. Signed 1B Mark Hamilton as a minor league free agent. Former 2nd round pick of STL has 8 minor league seasons under his belt with a career line of .276/.364/.466. He's also known as a solid defender with a career .992 fielding percentage at 1B. He is capable of playing LF with 20 games spent there just last season. Ernesto Mejia looks like the odd man out after this move. Hamilton did receive an invitation to Spring with his deal.

#635 mookie3127

mookie3127

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

http://www.mlbtrader...quez-mejia.html

Braves Notes: Kendrick, Uggla, Vasquez, Mejia

By Mark Polishuk [December 31, 2013 at 2:48pm CST]
Here's the latest on the Braves from David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution...
  • The Braves aren't pursuing Angels second baseman Howie Kendrick, O'Brien tweets.  Kendrick was thought to be on the trade market earlier this offseason as the Angels were looking to acquire young pitching, though now that the Halos have added Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs by dealing Mark Trumbo, it seems unlikely that they'd unload another regular unless they were trying to create payroll space for another move.
  • Of course, Atlanta already has a second baseman in Dan Uggla, though the veteran has struggled badly over the last two seasons and wasn't on the Braves' postseason roster in October.  The Braves were known to be exploring an Uggla trade this offseason but O'Brien tweets that he hasn't heard of any teams interested in taking Uggla.
  • Right-hander Luis Vasquez was signed to a minor league deal in November and has drawn the attention of several teams due to a standout performance in the Dominican League.  At the Winter Meetings, Braves GM Frank Wren said that received several comments and queries about Vasquez from other scouts and executives.  Vasquez will fight for a job in Atlanta's bullpen at Spring Training.
  • The acquisition of minor league first baseman Mark Hamilton could make Ernesto Mejia more expendable, O'Brien opines.  Mejia, 28, has hit 78 homers over his last three seasons and a career .279/.340/.493 slash line in 3492 minor league PA, but he has yet to reach the majors after nine pro seasons.  Mejia is defensively limited at first base and records a lot of strikeouts, which is why O'Brien categorizes him as a "Quad-A" type of player.

#636 Falconsfan567

Falconsfan567

BIG T IS IN DA HOUSE!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,519 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

I always wondered why we never gave Mejia a look.

#637 Dawggone

Dawggone

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostFalconsfan567™, on 31 December 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

I always wondered why we never gave Mejia a look.
As did I sir.

#638 Falconsfan567

Falconsfan567

BIG T IS IN DA HOUSE!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,519 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Just 53 days until Braves baseball!

#639 Falconsfan567

Falconsfan567

BIG T IS IN DA HOUSE!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,519 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

I know it's a very small sample size but Andrelton Simmons hit extremely well in the #2 slot last year so one of the lineup combinations I would try out in spring training would be with Simmons in the #2 hole.

1. Jason Heyward - L
2. Andrelton Simmons - R
3. Justin Upton - R
4. Freddie Freeman - L
5. Chris Johnson - R
6. Evan Gattis - R
7. B.J. Upton - R
8. Dan Uggla - R (I wish it was someone else like Tommy La Stella but it is what it is.)

#640 K26dp

K26dp

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

I'd rather keep Justin #2 until Simmons justified the move. I really liked front-loading Heyward/Upton/Freeman. I would go Johnson/Upton/Gattis/2B/Simmons after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users