Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

1,120 posts in this topic

Just got home and saw the news and my first thought is WTF? Doumit and Gattis are the exact same player except that Doumit is a switch-hitter. Both can hit for power but neither are considered good average hitters and both can play C, 1B and OF but neither are considered strong defense players.

Why trade for Doumit when we already have Joey T on the roster who's a switch-hitter that can play 1B and the OF?

It's not a bad trade because Sean Gilmartin had slipped down the prospects list and Doumit is useful. Just trying to figure out where he fits.

OF - Justin Upton

OF - B.J. Upton

OF - Jason Heyward

OF/C/1B - Evan Gattis

OF/C/1B - Ryan Doumit

OF/1B - Joey Terdoslavich

1B - Freddie Freeman

C - Gerald Laird

C - Christian Bethancourt

This pretty much guarantees that Bethancourt will start the season in the minors. Say Ramiro Pena comes back healthy at the beginning of the season. He's got to have a spot on the team after the way he performed last season.

So we have a bench of

C - Gerald Laird

C/1B/OF - Ryan Doumit

2B/3B - Ramiro Pena

1B/OF - Joey Terdoslavich

Who's the backup to Simmons at SS? We let Paul Janish and Elliot Johnson go although I wish we would have kept Johnson. I don't like having just one backup middle infielder.

Just got home and saw the news and my first thought is WTF? Doumit and Gattis are the exact same player except that Doumit is a switch-hitter. Both can hit for power but neither are considered good average hitters and both can play C, 1B and OF but neither are considered strong defense players.

Why trade for Doumit when we already have Joey T on the roster who's a switch-hitter that can play 1B and the OF?

It's not a bad trade because Sean Gilmartin had slipped down the prospects list and Doumit is useful. Just trying to figure out where he fits.

OF - Justin Upton

OF - B.J. Upton

OF - Jason Heyward

OF/C/1B - Evan Gattis

OF/C/1B - Ryan Doumit

OF/1B - Joey Terdoslavich

1B - Freddie Freeman

C - Gerald Laird

C - Christian Bethancourt

This pretty much guarantees that Bethancourt will start the season in the minors. Say Ramiro Pena comes back healthy at the beginning of the season. He's got to have a spot on the team after the way he performed last season.

So we have a bench of

C - Gerald Laird

C/1B/OF - Ryan Doumit

2B/3B - Ramiro Pena

1B/OF - Joey Terdoslavich

Who's the backup to Simmons at SS? We let Paul Janish and Elliot Johnson go although I wish we would have kept Johnson. I don't like having just one backup middle infielder.

Ramiro Pena can also play SS. Tyler Pastornicky and Tyler Greene can also play SS if either one of them makes the team. I think the trade for Doumit is going to hurt Joey T and Schafer's chances of making the team.

Ramiro Pena can also play SS. Tyler Pastornicky and Tyler Greene can also play SS if either one of them makes the team. I think the trade for Doumit is going to hurt Joey T and Schafer's chances of making the team.

Schafer needs to be on this team.

Ok good. I know about Pastor but does anyone know about how he's recovering? Forgot the Braves brought in Tyler Greene.

And yes I hate that Joey T's chances of making the team were downgraded with this trade.

Didn't think about Schafer but he's firmly on the bubble also.

Schafer needs to be on this team.

I would agree with you had Schafer kept hitting but he was terrible after he came back from the ankle injury. What made it even worse was that Heyward was also out so Schafer was given every chance to start and run with a job and he just didn't perform. Also when he was hitting strikeouts were still a major issue for him and having a non homerun, speed guy with strikeout problems is not a good combination.

As far as position players, the Braves are probably done. They'll more than likely try to get another reliever and that's it.

I'm assuming Pena will be ready to go at the start of the spring too?

Haven't heard any updates but the hope was he would be fully ready by Spring. I know they said Beachy has been fully cleared for all activities now.

Haven't heard any updates but the hope was he would be fully ready by Spring. I know they said Beachy has been fully cleared for all activities now.

Yeah I read that Beachy was cleared to have a normal off-season.

I would agree with you had Schafer kept hitting but he was terrible after he came back from the ankle injury. What made it even worse was that Heyward was also out so Schafer was given every chance to start and run with a job and he just didn't perform. Also when he was hitting strikeouts were still a major issue for him and having a non homerun, speed guy with strikeout problems is not a good combination.

My thinking is if Jose Costanza can keep making cameo appearances on this team surely Schafer can.

My thinking is if Jose Costanza can keep making cameo appearances on this team surely Schafer can.

The difference is the Braves have already traded Schafer once so he's anything but safe. Constanza on the other hand much have pictures of Frank Wren and Fredi Gonzalez.

One thing to note about the Doumit trade that I haven't seen noted is that he has very good numbers against right-handed pitching, which is an area that Gattis really struggled with.

I agree that the Braves probably see Doumit as more of a pinch-hitter off the bench than an every-game catcher. He's probably more of Reed Johnson's replacement than he is Brian McCann's.

This does definitely mean we want Bethancourt to spend another year in the minor leagues.

Which all makes me pretty sad we gave up Gilmartin for Doumit, despise Gilmatrin's poor recent / injury history.

One thing to note about the Doumit trade that I haven't seen noted is that he has very good numbers against right-handed pitching, which is an area that Gattis really struggled with.

I agree that the Braves probably see Doumit as more of a pinch-hitter off the bench than an every-game catcher. He's probably more of Reed Johnson's replacement than he is Brian McCann's.

This does definitely mean we want Bethancourt to spend another year in the minor leagues.

Which all makes me pretty sad we gave up Gilmartin for Doumit, despise Gilmatrin's poor recent / injury history.

Why be sad about losing Gilmartin? He had clearly fallen down the prospects list. The Braves won't miss him and got a guy that could be a very valuable piece in 2014 for the major league club.

At best Gilmartin turns into Scott Diamond 2.0 for the Twins, another guy the Braves traded to the Twins. Both are very lowly ceiling guys that aren't missed.

Gilmartin could be a capable SP but you have to look at it as the Braves are just so deep at SP in the system that it allows them the chance to trade a guy like Gilmartin

Gilmartin could be a capable SP but you have to look at it as the Braves are just so deep at SP in the system that it allows them the chance to trade a guy like Gilmartin

Exactly. Braves traded Gilmartin for a useful piece for the 2014 team and he want be missed. Good trade by Wren.

The Dourmit trade is exactly the kind of trade the Braves should make. Gilmartin was not going to help the team in 2014, and it's questionable if he's actually good enough to ever break the Braves rotation.

While I like Joey Terdoslavich's bat in the long-term, I suspect the team and most fans would prefer a proven hitter like Dourmit coming off the bench in a key at-bat of a key game. Dourmit is also only signed through 2014, so he doesn't represent much of any risk from a financial standpoint that could keep the Braves bandwagon from rolling along for several years.

Could Wilson Betemit's career come full circle? Rumor is the Braves are interested in signing him. I remember it like it was yesterday when Betemit was considered the next great thing and made his MLB debut at a very young age. I remember the shocking feeling when he was traded to the Dodgers just a couple days after Chipper got hurt 1 year. He was finally going to be given the chance to start everyday and the Braves traded him for Willy Aybar. Why? I still have no idea why that trade was made. If I remember correctly it was 2005.