Last Play Of The Game

- - - - - WTF MAN

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#21 Firstiary

Firstiary

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostFalconjerome, on 09 September 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Matt should have ran that TD in on that play.

The 4th down? MR had nowhere to run. Baker's man was breathing down Matt's neck and Holmes' man was 2 seconds away.

#22 TheFatboi

TheFatboi

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostFirstiary, on 09 September 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

All right I've said enough positive things today, so it's time for a resounding WTF MAN.

I just saw that final play again. Our offense was utterly and totally owned on 4th down. All of our receivers were smothered, chunked, and covered. Matt had nowhere to throw to. Our offensive line let the pass rushers through like they were getting paid to look at Saints backsides. And then Tony let a game-winner through his hands (tough play, granted).

****, that was a ******* letdown after nearly 60 minutes of play. We'd better beat them in Atlanta on November 21st.
It didn't even hit his hands. Vaccaro hit it. But to be more accurate if Baker holds his man Matt could've released the ball with more zip and vaccaro doesn't make the play. There was a man draping on Ryan as he released the ball slowing down the velocity of the throw. That split second changed the outcome of the play. That's all it takes. I also feel with 4 downs and the saints looking for pass on each play at least 2 of them should've been draw plays. Didn't like the play calling down there.

#23 TheFatboi

TheFatboi

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostJRid, on 09 September 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

With everything being said about the OLine, play calling, etc, the bottom line is we were in position to win the game.  S. Jackson dropped a touchdown on 3rd down and TG dropped a touchdown on 4th down.

TG's catch was pretty tough, but he normally makes that catch and that's why TD paid him $7 million to come back.  Our two veterans who are great at making catches and clutch plays both dropped the game winning touchdown.  Not to mention those two guys should be more motivated than anyone to play great. Oh yeah, lets not forget about Julio's fumble.  3 of our best play makers  made crucial mistakes.

I actually called the 3rd down pass was going to be a touchdown pass to Jackson before the play and then it went to him and I hit the floor when he dropped it.

I still love those guys and I expect them to make some big plays this season, but I just had to get that out.

Funny, as I'm typing this the highlights of the game came on NFL Network and I just realized that the Saints only rushed 3 guys on that 4th down pass.  That's how they had us blanketed.  That is unbelievable that 3 guys destroyed our whole OLine and pressured Ryan like that.  Wow!
The ball never hit TG's hand. Vaccaro deflected it

#24 JerseyNo12

JerseyNo12

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostTheFatboi, on 09 September 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

It didn't even hit his hands. Vaccaro hit it. But to be more accurate if Baker holds his man Matt could've released the ball with more zip and vaccaro doesn't make the play. There was a man draping on Ryan as he released the ball slowing down the velocity of the throw. That split second changed the outcome of the play. That's all it takes. I also feel with 4 downs and the saints looking for pass on each play at least 2 of them should've been draw plays. Didn't like the play calling down there.

That's why I keep saying that for some reason we've become such a pass-oriented team all of a sudden. Last year we didn't have much choice given Turner's limited abilities, but now with Jackson we should be able to punch it in by HANDING it off to him, not throwing. Why bother getting him if he's just going to be another receiver?

#25 slamee101

slamee101

This Is My Boomstick!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,659 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Just had good coverage.  A lot harder to get wide open in such tight space so quickly.

I'm still salty we didn't try to run or playfake on 3rd down from the 3 yard line though.

#26 TheFatboi

TheFatboi

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostJerseyNo12, on 09 September 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

That's why I keep saying that for some reason we've become such a pass-oriented team all of a sudden. Last year we didn't have much choice given Turner's limited abilities, but now with Jackson we should be able to punch it in by HANDING it off to him, not throwing. Why bother getting him if he's just going to be another receiver?
I agree. He's a guy that can play without a FB. I woulda taken Ewing out, leaving only SJ in the backfield with a plethora of wr's and hit them with a draw. SJ coulda at least got 1 to 2 yards. You score when you completely catch the D off guard. The saints were looking pass on all 4 downs.

#27 R.U.N.n.G.U.N.

R.U.N.n.G.U.N.

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Jackson screwed up the game with the dropped pass...it was no excuse for him to drop that ball. However, we played a tough offense yesterday, and we should be praying for our offensive line's development.

#28 JOEinPHX

JOEinPHX

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostTheFatboi, on 09 September 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

I always enjoy it when someone actually watches the play two or three times before commenting, and knows what really happened.

#29 Firstiary

Firstiary

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostTheFatboi, on 09 September 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

The ball never hit TG's hand. Vaccaro deflected it

Not to nitpick, but the ball definitely hit TG's hands (both of his hands). Vacarro deflected it slightly and the deflection sent the pass a little higher than it would've gone. That may have cost us the game, and you're right about the passrusher just beginning to pull on Matt Ryan's shoulder and affecting the throw. Matt still put the throw on the money (though most likely with less velocity, as you said), but Vacarro was there to deflect the pass slightly. It was still potentially catchable, but #50 got his hands on Matt and that might've been the difference.

Edited by Firstiary, 09 September 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#30 TheFatboi

TheFatboi

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostJOEinPHX, on 09 September 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

I always enjoy it when someone actually watches the play two or three times before commenting, and knows what really happened.

I haven't even rewatched the game yet. This is fresh off of memory from live play and the replays. I'll see even more when I rewatch.

#31 TheFatboi

TheFatboi

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostFirstiary, on 09 September 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Not to nitpick, but the ball definitely hit TG's hands (both of his hands). Vacarro deflected it slightly and the deflection sent the pass a little higher than it would've gone. That may have cost us the game, and you're right about the passrusher just beginning to pull on Matt Ryan's shoulder and affecting the throw. Matt still put the throw on the money (though most likely with less velocity, as you said), but Vacarro was there to deflect the pass slightly. It was still potentially catchable, but #50 got his hands on Matt and that might've been the difference.
I missed it hitting it from the replay. Looked like vaccaro beat him slightly to the ball. Either way he doesn't make the play if Lofton wasn't hanging on Ryan and that's a routine catch for tony. That's a good defensive play not a drop by tony. That won't even go on the stat line as a drop by tony but it will go on vacarro's as a PD.

#32 Statick

Statick

Falcon Lord

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,318 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Regarding that play, I could have sworn Roddy was open.

#33 shanep

shanep

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

how can the demons be put behind us when they walk in the door every gameday?

#34 Firstiary

Firstiary

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostStatick, on 09 September 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Regarding that play, I could have sworn Roddy was open.

No, he wasn't open until after the ball was released. He was thoroughly covered prior to that.

Edited by Firstiary, 09 September 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#35 Sun Tzu 7

Sun Tzu 7

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostFirstiary, on 09 September 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Yep, just saw them talking about that on NFLN. Baker was the only O-Lineman who didn't get help on that play. He still got thoroughly beat, but it was 3 vs. 5 on the line and we still got owned. WTF

And he got beat by CURTIS LOFTON....a MLB.... which should NEVER EVER happen.

#36 Firstiary

Firstiary

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostTheFatboi, on 09 September 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

I missed it hitting it from the replay. Looked like vaccaro beat him slightly to the ball. Either way he doesn't make the play if Lofton wasn't hanging on Ryan and that's a routine catch for tony. That's a good defensive play not a drop by tony. That won't even go on the stat line as a drop by tony but it will go on vacarro's as a PD.

Impossible to say if Lofton enabled Vaccaro to make the slight deflection or if Vaccaro would've gotten his hands on the ball anyway, and also imposisble to say if the deflection cost TG the catch or not (particularly since there were defenders all around him that could've broken up the catch), but that could all be true.

My guess is that either Lofton, Vaccaro, or both prevented the TD (I'd guess that's about 66% likely). But there's literally no way to know any of that. We do know that Lofton and Vaccaro made plays and that none of our guys did (on that play).

Edited by Firstiary, 09 September 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#37 sdogg

sdogg

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,639 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostFirstiary, on 09 September 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Yep, just saw them talking about that on NFLN. Baker was the only O-Lineman who didn't get help on that play. He still got thoroughly beat, but it was 3 vs. 5 on the line and we still got owned. WTF

That's why the Aints own us. They are more motivated and determined to beat us, than we are. They truly hate us and understand the heated rivalry. Our guys don't. That's what gives the Aints that extra edge and why they come on on top in theses close  games.

#38 TheFatboi

TheFatboi

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostFirstiary, on 09 September 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Impossible to say if Lofton enabled Vaccaro to make the slight deflection or if Vaccaro would've gotten his hands on the ball anyway, and also imposisble to say if the deflection cost TG the catch or not (particularly since there were defenders all around him that could've broken up the catch), but that could all be true.

My guess is that either Lofton, Vaccaro, or both prevented the TD (I'd guess that's about 66% likely). But there's literally no way to know any of that. We do know that Lofton and Vaccaro made plays and that none of our guys did.
It's very possible to say because if Matt is free and clear he can fire the ball in there. Vacarro barely tipped a weaker pass. A full throttle pass he doesn't get there. You gotta think in live action those guys broke to the ball when it got into air. Before that they were just covering area's of the endzone. A fire ball that finger tip breakup doesn't happen. And that's all it was. A fingertip. Not a whole hand. Faster throw, no fingertip. Matt and tony do this routinely. The difference, Matt usually never has a guy draping on him.

#39 Bring It

Bring It

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,985 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostFirstiary, on 09 September 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

All right I've said enough positive things today, so it's time for a resounding WTF MAN.

I just saw that final play again. Our offense was utterly and totally owned on 4th down. All of our receivers were smothered, chunked, and covered. Matt had nowhere to throw to. Our offensive line let the pass rushers through like they were getting paid to look at Saints backsides. And then Tony let a game-winner through his hands (tough play, granted).

****, that was a ******* letdown after nearly 60 minutes of play. We'd better beat them in Atlanta on November 21st.
You just described the Atlanta Falcons in every big game of their existence.  It's what they are............the "Almost's" of the NFL.   Nice job by the way.

#40 TheFatboi

TheFatboi

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostFirstiary, on 09 September 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

My guess is that either Lofton, Vaccaro, or both prevented the TD (I'd guess that's about 66% likely). But there's literally no way to know any of that. We do know that Lofton and Vaccaro made plays and that none of our guys did.
Our guys made plays as well. Alford, McClain AND Tru made some incredible pass breakups in 1 on 1 situations. What cost us the game were the mistakes. You don't fumble the ball in our own territory while we have the lead and give it back to Brees. You don't negate a key 3rd down conversion in the 3rd qtr with a holding penalty. That forced us to punt. We made quite a few plays on defense. That's evident by the saints only putting up 23 points. Drew took shots a number of times and only one was completed on McClain. Another mistake. He missed getting a hand in Stills at the line and gave up a huge play.