Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clark Kent™

Saints Fired Spags And Are Switching To A 3-4

160 posts in this topic

Wow, so you homos are making Saints threads, we must really be in your head or something...

I know, you probably aren't thinking straight after watching Matty Melt's impressive, post-season, second-half performance. But hey, in good spirit, you guys revel in our coach's decision apparent awful decision.

When SF wins the superbowl next weekend, and Jim Tomsula hits the open market, your elation will probably soon turn to another off-season in fear of another Lombardi in New Orleans.

Your birthmark faced qb is getting old. Go ahead and plan on more int and a lower completion %. All of you dumb *** Saints fans are gonna have to deal with Lofton in coverage, which is funny to me. You'll be lucky to win 9 games next year.

Oh, congrats on having the worst defense in the history of the nfl. You bagheads must be proud.

Hicks may be 324, but he aint the NT type. Guy is a penetrator (no homo). He is 6'5 and has a thin frame. They will have to draft their NT. They will slide Bunkley in that spot. He has a much better chance of holdind down the nose than Hicks

I agree. Hicks will fit perfectly at the LDE spot with Jordan manning the RDE spot. Bunkley will slide inside and have to play a 1 tech NT.

Tom Johnson would be Jordans back up. He played there in canada.

If Hicks does slide inside (which i think would waste some of his talent) then a DE would have to be drafted to start. someone like Hunt would fit perfectly.

The saints also have a guy named walker that would be a decent back up on the DL.

Yea but I think they will try Hicks at NT. He's 324. Either way, he doesn't hold up well against double teams. He's easily moved.

There is no way they complete this move in year one. The defense sucked because of personnel, not coaching. Their front seven can't get pressure without Will Smith, who they will have to cut. Martez Wilson is not a pass rushing LB. Gallette is mediocre. It will definitely get ugly before it gets better. Fine with me.

The defense sucked because of both!!! The defense hasnt ever been good but to be historically bad with the same players points to another problem. SCHEME.

Wilson is a pass rushing LB. Alot more so than a DE in a 43. Wilson fits in a 1 gap 34 like wade phillips. Galette is a tweener and how he would fit is unknown yet. Sitautional player for sure though.

It cant get any uglier! lol

Wow, so you homos are making Saints threads, we must really be in your head or something...

This thread was made because the Saints fired their DC, which is legitimate news, thanks.

Most of the other Saints threads were started by Saints fans, which would indicate that the Falcons are in their heads, not the other way around.

It will be interesting to see how they pull this off with their salary cap.

They're going to need a big plugger at NT and a whole new set of linebackers.

they already have one - Akieem Hicks - drafted last year and he played well. He is the guy out of Canada - he's like 6'4" and 340lbs+

Your birthmark faced qb is getting old. Go ahead and plan on more int and a lower completion %. All of you dumb *** Saints fans are gonna have to deal with Lofton in coverage, which is funny to me. You'll be lucky to win 9 games next year.

Oh, congrats on having the worst defense in the history of the nfl. You bagheads must be proud.

Seriously, there is only ONE opposing player in the NFL that I truly hate - and its DREW BREES.

I really don't hate him because he's a great player or because he has beat the Falcons so much.

I hate him because he just reeks of arrogance in the things he says, the way he carries himself, etc, etc.

Brees comes from trailer trash and it shows in his attitude - no class......

I know the media loves talking about how great Brees is for New Orleans and stuff - but he's really just a trash-talking punk. Every team has them but its never usually the QB of the team.

they already have one - Akieem Hicks - drafted last year and he played well. He is the guy out of Canada - he's like 6'4" and 340lbs+

Hicks is not a plugger NT type. He will play DE in their 3-4. and he is closer to 6'5 324. They will play Bunkley and smart move would be to go ahead and draft/FA another one as well just incase.

No one knows yet but if Nolan gets majority control over the defense then it would be more than likely that we see a hybrid D with the 3-4 as the base which is what Nolan likes.

If Nolan gets control of this defense, our defense will be 3-4 with some mix of 4-3 and other schemes.

If Nolan gets control of this defense, our defense will be 3-4 with some mix of 4-3 and other schemes.

I'm not sure that's right. "3-4" can refer to alignment or scheme. We already run quite a lot of 3-4 alignment. But schematically, Nolan runs more of a multiple defense. It's not an old-school 3-4 like Wade Phillips might run. We might align 3-4 more than 4-3, but he'll always be mixing in different plays from the looks he gives. He's been doing that all season as it is. I don't at all expect us to run a base 3-4 and then just have plays where we line up 4-3 and run 4-3 plays. The whole idea behind Nolan's defense is to show you one thing and bring another.

Seriously, there is only ONE opposing player in the NFL that I truly hate - and its DREW BREES.

I really don't hate him because he's a great player or because he has beat the Falcons so much.

I hate him because he just reeks of arrogance in the things he says, the way he carries himself, etc, etc.

Brees comes from trailer trash and it shows in his attitude - no class......

I know the media loves talking about how great Brees is for New Orleans and stuff - but he's really just a trash-talking punk. Every team has them but its never usually the QB of the team.

His mom is a Democratic politician from Texas. Pretty far from trailer trash,

I feel dirty defending Drew Brees.

Saints fan here. I want to comment on this thread for good discussion.

When Payton returned this week, he said he was concerned that players were not being used to their strengths (I agree). Spags governed the worst defense in NFL history. I think most Saints fans agree with the decision to fire Spags, and appreciate that he is taking major action to improve the defense.

Was Spags victim to joining a bounty-distracted team? Yes, somewhat. But I think the other people in the building saw flaws that they raised to Payton.

Who the Saints hire going forward? No clue. Ya'll have mentioned the same popular names that are being debated on the Saints message board. From my perspective, anyone should improve the worst defense in NFL history. Payton said to not be surprised if the hire comes from the college ranks. My personal opinion - he has a college coach in mind. I trust Payton to make the right call here.

Who will line up at LB? My guess is Martez Wilson (super fast), David Hawthorn, Lofton, Junior Gallette. That lineup would get speed and thump on the field. I think Vilma is a cap casualty b/c his production does not match is salary. Another option (popular with Saints fans) is drafting DE Mingo from LSU.

Now for a topic near to my heart - your forum member "turnerdburner" has an awesome avatar (the Julio Jones shirt). She makes me love Julio Jones. WOW!

Saints fan here. I want to comment on this thread for good discussion.

When Payton returned this week, he said he was concerned that players were not being used to their strengths (I agree). Spags governed the worst defense in NFL history. I think most Saints fans agree with the decision to fire Spags, and appreciate that he is taking major action to improve the defense.

Was Spags victim to joining a bounty-distracted team? Yes, somewhat. But I think the other people in the building saw flaws that they raised to Payton.

Who the Saints hire going forward? No clue. Ya'll have mentioned the same popular names that are being debated on the Saints message board. From my perspective, anyone should improve the worst defense in NFL history. Payton said to not be surprised if the hire comes from the college ranks. My personal opinion - he has a college coach in mind. I trust Payton to make the right call here.

Who will line up at LB? My guess is Martez Wilson (super fast), David Hawthorn, Lofton, Junior Gallette. That lineup would get speed and thump on the field. I think Vilma is a cap casualty b/c his production does not match is salary. Another option (popular with Saints fans) is drafting DE Mingo from LSU.

Now for a topic near to my heart - your forum member "turnerdburner" has an awesome avatar (the Julio Jones shirt). She makes me love Julio Jones. WOW!

I thought about Mingo possibly becoming a Saint when I first heard ya'll were swithing to a 3-4. I also would not be surprise if the Saints draft a safety because Harper is terrible.

I also would not be surprise if the Saints draft a safety because Harper is terrible.

Yes, Harper is a major liability in coverage. ProFootballFocus ranked 88 safeties this season by grading them on every snap using All-22 film. FS Malcolm Jenkins had the worst PFF grade in the NFL, ranking 88th. SS Roman Harper ranked 87th. That is a legit problem that cannot be overlooked. I agree that Harper's days are numbered, but I think this year's solution at SS comes via free agency (a deep safety group), not the draft.

There is a bright spot for us Saints fans - backup FS Isa Abdul Quddus is an excellent pass defender. QBs throwing in Quddus’s direction had an average QB rating of 18.7.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Saints will consider adding Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel to their 2013 defensive staff.

Schefter suggests Crennel and Mangini "could go together" to New Orleans, with one serving as defensive coordinator. Crennel and Mangini have familiar backgrounds as Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick disciples, respectively. They were both on staff when Belichick's Patriots won three Super Bowls.

http://www.whosay.com/AdamSchefter/content/495317?wsref=tw&code=sKG52jD

The New Orleans Times-Picayune names Martez Wilson and Junior Galette as two defenders likeliest to benefit from the Saints' move to a 3-4.

Wilson, a linebacker at Illinois, flashed with three sacks as a nickel pass rusher in 2012 and at 6-foot-4, 252, is built like a 3-4 outside linebacker. Galette, who goes 6-foot-2, 258, racked up five sacks in a rotational role. It's conceivable that Galette and Wilson could open the 2013 season as New Orleans' bookend outside rushers with Cam Jordan and Akiem Hicks on the ends

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/01/sean_paytons_bold_switch_to_3-.html

Some funny things being said in this thread - like Hicks being small in the lower half of his body. Just makes me wonder do some people even watch the game or know how to evaluate a player. It's ok to have an opinion, but just don't allow yourself to sound ignorant because you hate the opposing team. That's like me saying John Abraham can't rush the passer because I dislike him.

If you take a step back and look at it, then switch to the 3-4 makes perfect sense. Look who we'll be letting go this year: Jon Vilma, Will Smith, and Sed Ellis. All guys who aren't very scheme diverse and need to be in an even front.

Look at who we have. Cam Jordan - prototypical 5-tech. Akeem Hicks - DE in a 2-gap scheme and a 1-tech in a one-gap scheme. Bunkley manned the NT position when Denver was in a 4-3 (Thanks to DawnOfThemBirds for pointing out the mistype) and he played at a high level. I don't think he's a 2-gap NT though. Hawthorne had his best year as a LBer as an ILB for Seattle. Lofton is your prototypical block shedding lineback and would probably be your strongside ILB. Galette and Wilson are better suited for a 3-4 than a 4-3. Most scouts tend to think that their personnal is best suited for the scheme change.

If you look at the other side, there are holes also. If you go 2-gap, who is your big space eating NT? Galette and Wilson have the talent and measurables but are unproven pass rushers. Lofton has never played in a 3-4 and isn't exactly a great coverage player.

The type of coordinator we hire will determine if we run a one-gap or two-gap 3-4. For example: Anyone from the Belicheck tree will probably run a two-gap scheme (Mangini & Crennel).

I'd be nice if a football discussion could be had without personal insults. If anyone wishes to talk about the benefits of a 3-4 and a 4-3 with our current personnel and which 3-4 scheme suits us best (one-gap or two-gap) then lets do it - we could do the same for the Falcons.

Some funny things being said in this thread - like Hicks being small in the lower half of his body. Just makes me wonder do some people even watch the game or know how to evaluate a player. It's ok to have an opinion, but just don't allow yourself to sound ignorant because you hate the opposing team. That's like me saying John Abraham can't rush the passer because I dislike him.

If you take a step back and look at it, then switch to the 3-4 makes perfect sense. Look who we'll be letting go this year: Jon Vilma, Will Smith, and Sed Ellis. All guys who aren't very scheme diverse and need to be in an even front.

Look at who we have. Cam Jordan - prototypical 5-tech. Akeem Hicks - DE in a 2-gap scheme and a 1-tech in a one-gap scheme. Bunkley manned the NT position when Denver was in a 3-4 and he played at a high level. I don't think he's a 2-gap NT though. Hawthorne had his best year as a LBer as an ILB for Seattle. Lofton is your prototypical block shedding lineback and would probably be your strongside ILB. Galette and Wilson are better suited for a 3-4 than a 4-3. Most scouts tend to think that their personnal is best suited for the scheme change.

If you look at the other side, there are holes also. If you go 2-gap, who is your big space eating NT? Galette and Wilson have the talent and measurables but are unproven pass rushers. Lofton has never played in a 3-4 and isn't exactly a great coverage player.

The type of coordinator we hire will determine if we run a one-gap or two-gap 3-4. For example: Anyone from the Belicheck tree will probably run a two-gap scheme (Mangini & Crennel).

I'd be nice if a football discussion could be had without personal insults. If anyone wishes to talk about the benefits of a 3-4 and a 4-3 with our current personnel and which 3-4 scheme suits us best (one-gap or two-gap) then lets do it - we could do the same for the Falcons.

Bunkley wasn't with the Broncos when they were a 3-4. Because they switched to a 4-3 after 2010 while Bunkley was there only during the 2011 season.

Bunkley wasn't with the Broncos when they were a 3-4. Because they switched to a 4-3 after 2010 while Bunkley was there only during the 2011 season.

You right, and that was a mistype by me. That was suppose to be 4-3 (I'll make the change). My point is, he was one of the best, if not the best 1-tech in the NFL that year.