Players Looking Good/bad At Senior Bowl Practices

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#1 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

I had a long update where I was hand typing what NFLDraftcountdown wrote up (they have a block where you cannot cut/paste) but I clicked it down and lost 20 minutes of typing - need to get to work so not doing it again.   here is good write-ups on the website links on the North and South practice reports for Tuesday:

http://www.draftcoun...s/South-122.php

http://www.draftcoun...s/North-122.php

Players Dominating:
LT-Eric Fisher (Central Michigan)
DE-Alex Okafor (Texas)
DT-Kawan Short (Purdue)
CB-Desmond Trufant (Washington)

Players Looking Good:
DE-Ezekiel Ansah (BYU)
RB-Stefan Taylor (Stanford)
RB-Mike Gillissee (Florida)
DT-Branon Williams (Missouri Southern State)
DE-Dantone Jones (Syracuse)
CB-Jordan Poyer (Oregon State)

Players with mixed results (some good/some bad):
DT-John Jenkins (Georgia)
DE-Cornelius Washington (Georgia)

Players Not looking up to billing:
DE-Margus Hunt
OG-Larry Warford

I mostly picked out players that the Falcons could be interested in......I am sure there will be others as well that I just don't know about.  Who knows what Dimitroff is  watching right now?  sly devil.

#2 Adam25

Adam25

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Jordan Hill has looked bad in every one on one drill, I liked him but not sure I do anymore, Okafor is dominating and probably won't make it to where we pick, this upsets me :(

#3 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Alex Okafor
Kawan Short
Brandon Williams

Those three guys are on my radar screen right now.......

I'm feeling a   1st-Okafor, 2nd-Williams mock draft coming to a messageboard near you.....

The more I study Margus Hunt, the more I don't like the gamble on him.   He probably will be a good NFL player but he might be 28 years old by then - falcons cannot wait 2-3 years for him to develop - they need guys that are "NFL ready" now.   Lord knows Ray Hamilton won't develop him.

#4 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostAdam3328, on 23 January 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

Jordan Hill has looked bad in every one on one drill, I liked him but not sure I do anymore, Okafor is dominating and probably won't make it to where we pick, this upsets me Posted Image

yeah, I really am excited about what Okafor brings to the table.  If he gets within the #25 range, we might have to go get him.   don't really want to trade up though - if he was there at #30 - turn the card in immediately.

#5 muskokas finest

muskokas finest

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

View Postg-dawg, on 23 January 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

yeah, I really am excited about what Okafor brings to the table.  If he gets within the #25 range, we might have to go get him.   don't really want to trade up though - if he was there at #30 - turn the card in immediately.
A jump to #25 would cost our 3rd.  Hate the thought of 241s.

#6 Adam25

Adam25

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

View Postg-dawg, on 23 January 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Yea I feel the same, Okafor has been in my mock since day 1 and if he is their I'd love to get him, one good thing is that I think some teams are higher on Margus Hunt then they are Okafor and that makes me happy, I do not want Hunt at all, but that just gives Okafor a better chance to slip to us. I have the weirdest feeling that if Bjoren Werner slips out of the top 6 that TD makes a Julio like trade to go get him, that might me just being a homer, but TD said if he see's something he likes he'll go get it lol

#7 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Jordan Hill has looked bad in every one on one drill, I liked him but not sure I do anymore, Okafor is dominating and probably won't make it to where we pick, this upsets me Posted Image

just remember this is a fraction of the number of players that will actually be in the draft and does not include juniors nor many "top 20" players as they traditionally skip the Senior Bowl.   The earliest Okafor comes off the board is probably in the late teens - and that is "best case" scenario for him - granted, that is a long way from "#30" but he could drop to within range....its possible and maybe even 50/50.

#8 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

View Postmuskokas finest, on 23 January 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

A jump to #25 would cost our 3rd.  Hate the thought of 241s.

yeah, it would be painful......but if we preserve our 2nd round pick and have two 4ths (other being Curtis Lofton comp. pick) we could survive - i would see something like:

#1-25)  Alex Okafor, DE-Texas
#2-62)  Brandon Williams, DT-Missouri Southern State
4th rd)   Best available among RB/TE/CB
4th rd)   Best available among RB/TE/CB

I'm starting to embrace the idea of Konz moving to center and Garrett Reynolds and Phillip Keith Manley battling for the Right Guard spot.   Dave Archer mentioned Manley yesterday on 790-the-zone and that Manley has potential as a physical player (said he just needs to stay out of the buffet line).    Reynolds was playing well before he was injured.   Maybe with Konz moving over and these giant guys competing - the line will become more physical and improve the running game.

#9 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

We know the Saints are probably going DE with their first pick.   I bet they grab Ezekiel Ansah or Alex Okafor with their pick at #15.   Uggh.

#10 Adam25

Adam25

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I've seen Dion Jordan mocked their a ton of times, I'd hate this as he is one of my favorite players in this draft.

#11 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

some players "blow-up" the Senior Bowl and Practices and turn out to be duds (Sedrick Ellis-DT) and some dominate Senior Bowl and then go on to dominate at NFL level (Geno Atkins-DT).

more to it than just the Senior Bowl - but generally guys that show well here generally do well at the next level - recent year examples:   Joe Flacco, Geno Atkins, DRC,  Weatherspoon to name a few.

#12 A-TowN.-

A-TowN.-

Move amongst shadows

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Jordan Hill has looked bad in every one on one drill, I liked him but not sure I do anymore, Okafor is dominating and probably won't make it to where we pick, this upsets me :(
People said the same about Weatherspoon as well. Okafor can slide man trust me. Too many talented players this draft.

#13 Adam25

Adam25

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostA-TowN.-, on 23 January 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

People said the same about Weatherspoon as well. Okafor can slide man trust me. Too many talented players this draft.

haha let's hope

#14 JRid

JRid

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I remember hearing shortly after we beat the Seahawks that they are wanting more pass rushers.  I thought it was odd because they have some very good ones.  I hope they aren't looking for one in the same round we are because they pick just ahead of us.

What little I saw of Cornelius Washington at practice impressed me.  I'm a Georgia fan, but I have never paid too close attention to him.  Does anyone have any thoughts on him?  I think he is projected in the 4-5 round, but not sure.

Thinking back on UGA players, I had no idea Geno Adkins would be as good as he is.  Did anybody?  I didn't know Justin Houston would either, but he has been really good.  I remember hearing some inside information that the Falcons were very very interested in Houston and I think they would have picked him if the Chiefs didn't.  I think TD would have taken a chance on him even though he had just tested positive for marijuana.

edit to say I just read G-dawgs post about Atkins in the senior bowl and I remember now that he looked really good there.  I just didn't remember him looking like that when he played for UGA.

Edited by JRid, 23 January 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#15 FalconBlood23

FalconBlood23

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

1st Okafor 2nd Short 3rd Brandon Williams

#16 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostA-TowN.-, on 23 January 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

Falcons were at #19 in 2010 draft,  now we are at #30...pretty big difference don't you think A-Town?  I think Okafor has a shot of making it to #30 - but DE is a more premium position than LB and we are later in the round - so it will be tough for him to fall to us - but I'm hopeful!

#17 JRid

JRid

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think TD will get a really good DE or DT in free agency and which ever one he doesn't get he will draft.  Maybe that is stating the obvious though.

#18 Str8 Bonafide777

Str8 Bonafide777

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Im praying to the football gods that Okafor slides to us.  I was looking at our team and the one on spot on our team that we absolutely have to improve before next season is D line!

#19 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostFalconBlood23, on 23 January 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

1st Okafor 2nd Short 3rd Brandon Williams

Short won't get out of the top 40 picks.   Williams won't make it to back half of 3rd round.....wishful thinking FalconBlood - would love it if it happened - but don't hold your breath.

i doubt we draft two defensive tackles - probably just one.

#20 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostJRid, on 23 January 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

I think TD will get a really good DE or DT in free agency and which ever one he doesn't get he will draft.  Maybe that is stating the obvious though.

probably harder to get a DE in free agency as they are so expensive and generally franchised by their teams (i.e. Cin-Michael Johnson).