Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slimjim

Largest Home Underdogs In Conference Championship History

44 posts in this topic

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/video/profootball360/0VE7yfNmMzNd/expert-picks-conference-championships

^Video added

...the largest home underdogs in Conference Championship history at 4.5 points

http://www.cbssports...ionship-weekend

We are the biggest underdogs in a Conference Championship game in history?

Pathetic.

I just don't buy that at all.

Atlanta is just gonna have to RISE UP again and win another game.

It's Atlanta's time. Super Bowl or bust this Sunday!

Is this something new...i was surprised we weren't the underdogs last week vs Seattle

I hope we win and New England wins so we can do to them what they did to the Rams in the 2001 season.

That just means we are going to win.

And a lot of people are going to get paid, with a lot getting OWNED.

This is just another thing that plays into our hands. We are constantly being told we can't win games, we can't do this and that. The pressure is gone with getting that playoff win out of the way. SF thinks they are going to walk in here and stomp us (just like Seattle thought they were gonna do).

The media is so insistent on pushing their views on everyone that they fail to see that San Francisco is basically Seattle - they are built pretty much identically. The biggest differences are that Seattle's defensive strength is in their secondary, while SF's is up front and Wilson is a better passer than Kap and Kap is the better runner. If our oline dominates like they did on Sunday, than SF is in for a long day, especially since I guarantee Mike Nolan is not going to give Kap a free pass throwing and running the ball like GB did.

I'll go Ray Lewis on this one..

But you still gotta play the game SAL..lol..lol..

I actually like that we are this much a underdog it means we can come out and play loose and relaxed.

We'll be fine.

Here's a couple of really good sharp guys from sportschatplace.com take on the underdog Falcons:

"The San Francisco 49ers punched their ticket to the NFC Championship game by taking out the Green Bay Packers last Saturday 45-31. The Atlanta Falcons advanced in the playoffs with a last minute comeback against the Seattle Seahawks which ended with a 30-28 score.

Last week might have been the national introduction to how good Colin Kaepernick could become. Kaepernick hit 17 of 31 passes for 263 yards and two touchdowns but it was his running ability that stole the show. The 49er quarterback rushed 16 times for a whopping 181 yards and two scores. Michael Crabtree was the recipient of Colin’s two touchdown passes. For the game, the 49ers outgained Aaron Rodgers and the Packers 579 yards to 352. Partialy due to Kaepernick leaving the pocket, the 49ers converted eight of 13 third downs. It was a good sign that the young Kaepernick was able to quickly bounce back from an early pick 6 thrown in the first quarter. The 49ers got defensive lineman Justin Smith back after having him injured for the last two games.

The Atlanta Falcons win over Seattle on Sunday was a rollercoaster. Atlanta took a 20-0 lead into the locker room, maintained the lead in the third quarter and then gave up the lead with 21 unanswered points by the Seahawks. The final touchdown by the Seahawks put them up one with just 31 seconds to go in the game. Matt Ryan quickly hooked up with Harry Douglas and Tony Gonzalez on big plays to get within field goal range. After missing the first kick shortly after time out was called by Seattle (hate when coaches do that) Matt Bryant nailed a 49 yarder for the win. The Falcons gained 417 yards of offense against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Rookie Russell Wilson had his own successes against the Falcons defense, hitting 24 of 36 pass attempts for 385 yards and two scores.

Trends:

The total has gone OVER in 5 of San Francisco's last 5 games

San Francisco is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Atlanta

Atlanta is 3-5-1 ATS in its last 9 games

The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Atlanta's last 7 games at home

Atlanta is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games when playing at home against San Francisco

I absolutely love what is going on in San Francisco. They have an emerging quarterback on a team that has the best defensive line in football. However, I don’t see this as a great match up for the 49ers. For all of the success of the 49ers and love being thrown their way after dominating the Packers, they still lean heavy on the run and struggle at times with the passing game. If you can slow down Crabtree, you can focus on run containment which is where Green Bay fell apart. On the other side of the ball, the Falcons not only have deep threats, but they have the greatest tight end in the history of the NFL to counter attack the 49ers rush. I was very impressed with the Falcons running game against the Seahawks. Michael Turner went for 98 yards and Jacquizz Rodgers rushed for 64 yards and did a pretty good Marshawn Lynch impression on a few of his runs. The line is inflated based on the easy of victory last week for the 49ers as well as the down to the wire game in Atlanta. The 49ers were impressive last week, but they have their hands full this week. We are on Atlanta!"

Dave D.’s Pick: Atlanta +4

"The San Francisco 49ers will look to replicate the same success they found at home last weekend against the Green Bay Packers as they take to the road to face the Atlanta Falcons in the Georgia Dome for the right to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. San Fran decimated the highly explosive Packers at Candlestick Park in what was a dominant effort by Niners quarterback Colin Kaepernick who ruished for 181 yards and two touchdowns on the ground and passed for another two scores to Michael Crabtree through the air as San Francisco advanced to the NFC Championship in convincing fashion. Thigns looked as though they were on pace in the other NFC divisional match up as the Falcons raced out to a 20-point lead in the third quarter but a surge from the Seahawks in the fourth actually had the Falcons trailing with just over 30-second remaining in the game. But Atlanta has shown resiliency all season and much like their victory over the Panthers early in the season the Falcons rallied and hit a game winning field goal to earn their right to host the NFC title game this weekend.

The San Francisco 49ers have been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL this season and after already having a victory on their resume this season over the Packers they were considered favourites to do it again last weekend and they didn’t disappoint. The running ability of the Niners opened up the Packers suspect defense and San Fran took advantage in every facet of the game en route to a convincing victory that has to give the Bay area squad some confidence taking to the road. As mentioned, Kaepernick was exquisite on the ground and through the air but old reliable for the Niners in Frank Gore was just as impressive3 as he torched the Packers on the ground as well putting up over 100 yards and giving the Niners arguably the best running game in the NFL and definitely the best unit remaining in the postseason. Defensively, the Niners remain as scary as their offense if not more so and while you can only do so much to neutralize Aaron Rodgers the Niners played a very sound defensive game and against a Falcons team that has three very dangerous receiving threats they’ll have to play up to potential once again in this one. After failing to advance to the Super Bowl last year that was hung on the special team’s miscues against the Giants, San Francisco looks hungrier than ever and looking to avenge last year’s loss where they felt it was their year to host the Lombardi Trophy.

Atlanta has been undervalued all season long as they’ve played in some tight against inferior opponents yet here they are hosting the NFC Championship game as the Conference’s top seed and get the luxury of playing in front of their home fans with a spot in the Super Bowl on the line. Atlanta has the most regular season wins over the past five seasons out of any other team in the NFL but their playoff achievements or lack thereof have been the downfall of this team being considered one of the league’s best. Matt Ryan emerged as an elite NFL quarterback this season and with the likes of Julio Jones, Roddy White, and veteran tight end Tony Gonzalez at his disposal it is no surprise how far Ryan has come as a signal caller in this league. However, the Falcons run game has been suspect as Michael Turner is getting older and their defense hasn’t been the most intimidating unit in the league and against a Niners team playing the way they are it would be a shock to few if the Falcons get blown out of the water. That being said the fact remains is that Atlanta is at home with the NFC title at stake and while San Fran looked great last week and the Falcons blew a huge lead in the 4th quarter I think the wrong team is favoured here and I think the Falcons can keep this at a field goal at best if not winning the game outright."

Kyle’s Pick: Atlanta +3

http://sportschatplace.com/nfl/free-nfl-picks

Seriously, Atlanta is on the verge of the Super Bowl and no one gives a Kraeperdink.

Forget this fickle/fake popularity contest regarding STYLE POINTS and get the win.

Period.

Rise up and defend the dome from punk QBs! smile.png

curious to the point spread before the Minnesota game in '98 We see how that

worked out.

All these 49er picks do is make me nervous. I'd much rather be the underdog.

Thankfully, the niners lost in the NFCCG last year so they aren't gonna take ANYONE lightly.

I bet 2000$ on falcons, I am pretty sure I will win. It was money I kept aside for SB tix.

I'd take that bet

Game summary 1 2 3 4 OT Total Falcons 7 7 3 10 3 30 Vikings 7 13 0 7 0 27

at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, Minneapolis, Minnesota

[show]Game information

• Scoring
    • ATL - J. Anderson 5 pass from Chandler (M. Andersen kick) ATL 7-0
    • MIN - Moss 31 pass from Cunningham (Anderson kick) Tie 7-7
    • MIN - field goal Anderson 29 MIN 10-7
    • MIN - Cunningham 1 run (Anderson kick) MIN 17-7
    • MIN - field goal Anderson 35 MIN 20-7
    • ATL - Mathis 14 pass from Chandler (M. Andersen kick) MIN 20-14
    • ATL - field goal M. Andersen 27 MIN 20-17
    • MIN - Hatchette 5 pass from Cunningham (Anderson kick) MIN 27-17
    • ATL - field goal M. Andersen 24 MIN 27-20
    • ATL - Mathis 16 pass from Chandler (M. Andersen kick) Tie 27-27
    • ATL - field goal M. Andersen 38 ATL 30-27

This was the first conference championship game to feature two teams who play their home games in domes. The 14-2 Falcons came into the game as 11 point underdogs, but managed to win an extremely competitive game late in overtime, making Minnesota the first 15-1 team ever to fail to reach the Super Bowl (a dubious feat since matched by the two other 15-1 teams, the 2004 Pittsburgh Steelers and 2011 Green Bay Packers). The Vikings had set an NFL record with 556 points and won their nine previous home games by an average of 23 points, but they could not win this game despite maintaining a lead for nearly all of the time in regulation. Fox Sports ranked it the third most exciting NFC Championship Game ever.

Atlanta took the opening kickoff and stormed down the field, scoring with Chris Chandler's 5-yard pass to Jamal Anderson. Aided by a 30-yard pass interference penalty on Falcons defensive back Ray Buchanan, Minnesota struck right back on their first drive with Randall Cunningham's 31-yard scoring strike to Randy Moss. In the second quarter, the Vikings converted an Atlanta fumble into a Gary Anderson field goal. Then after forcing a punt, Cunningham's 1-yard touchdown run increased his team's lead to 17-7 with 5 minutes left in the half. Atlanta lost another fumble on their next possession, giving the ball back to Minnesota again. The Vikings blew a chance at another touchdown when Moss dropped a pass in the end zone, but Anderson kicked another field goal to make the score 20-7. After forcing another Atlanta punt, the Vikings attempted to increase their lead more before halftime, but this time Falcons lineman Chuck Smith forced a fumble from Cunningham and Atlanta recovered the ball deep in Vikings territory, setting up Chandler's 14-yard touchdown pass to Terance Mathis to cut their deficit to 20-14 by the end of the half. It was the turning point for the Falcons, as the game's momentum began to shift their way (albeit subtly).

Atlanta forced the Vikings to punt on the opening drive of the second half, and two plays by receiver Tim Dwight, a 26-yard punt return and a 21-yard run, set up Morten Andersen's 27-yard field goal to cut their deficit to 3 points. The Vikings countered on their ensuing possession, driving 82 yards in 15 plays and scoring on Matthew Hatchette's 5-yard reception (his only touchdown of the season) to make the score 27-17 with just over 13 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

Credit: Wikipedia - 11 point underdogs this game.

You are the #1 seed with an elite offensive air attack. You are facing a team with 35% 3rd efficiency on offense and yet they are 4.5 pt road favorites. hmmmmm

All these 49er picks do is make me nervous. I'd much rather be the underdog.

Thankfully, the niners lost in the NFCCG last year so they aren't gonna take ANYONE lightly.

I think the media is underestimating the power of the atlanta ground game. If coupled with the Atlanta passing attack, it's pretty good. In reality, this game will be much closer than what the media wants everybody to believe.