Pete Carroll: Refs Said Practice Kicks Weren't Allowed

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#21 rightsaidfred

rightsaidfred

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

They deserve a ton of credit, but Seattle's mistakes in the first half and its approach in the final 31 seconds helped along the way.

OK - I guess the Falcons played flawless football and didn't make any mistakes in the game..... Got it.Posted Image

"I would have really liked it if he missed the kick," Carroll said.

No sheet, Pete............:)

#22 holymoses

holymoses

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

I've wondered if the snap came too long after the time out, if the Bryant could be called for delay of game.

Pete can wonder about that all off season.

#23 rightsaidfred

rightsaidfred

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I've wondered if the snap came too long after the time out, if the Bryant could be called for delay of game.

Pete can wonder about that all off season.

Hmmm - I think the "practice" kick was what was referred to in an earlier post here. The running onto the field during a time out and taking a shot. What Bryant did was marginal. You could make the case that he should be allowed to follow through on the kick to avoid any type of injury. But Carroll's TO was not a last second one, and I think they did have time to NOT snap the ball. But as to delay of game - it was a 30 sec. TO - Byrant's kick didn't last 30 sec, so I don't see that applying. JMO

#24 gathroughnthrough

gathroughnthrough

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Yea Tucker's was way worse yesterday. If the officials dont know what the penalty will be for doing what Bryant did its because there isn't one. Pete's a crybaby.

#25 vel

vel

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,725 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hmmm - I think the "practice" kick was what was referred to in an earlier post here. The running onto the field during a time out and taking a shot. What Bryant did was marginal. You could make the case that he should be allowed to follow through on the kick to avoid any type of injury. But Carroll's TO was not a last second one, and I think they did have time to NOT snap the ball. But as to delay of game - it was a 30 sec. TO - Byrant's kick didn't last 30 sec, so I don't see that applying. JMO

Yea I think they were referring to what the Ravens did yesterday. That was bogus. How is a kicker allowed a practice kick during a timeout when they weren't even lined up for a kick? Bryant was already out there and you can argue the center didn't hear the whistle. What the Ravens did was cheap.

#26 gvbob

gvbob

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

seattle is pretty dirty play wise

#27 Sui_Generis

Sui_Generis

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Posted Image

#28 DavyDmx

DavyDmx

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Pete should spend a lot more time asking himself how his '#1 defense' gives up 40 yards on 2 plays with 31 seconds left, and a lot less time worrying about Bryant's 'practice kick.'

I said the same thing to a friend of mine after I got home from the game. If your defense can't stop the offense from getting into field goal range at crunch time you don't deserve to win.

#29 Jesus

Jesus

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Posted Image

#30 Brehus

Brehus

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Pete if you don't want a team to make a practice kick don't call a timeout simple isn't

#31 defcon4

defcon4

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

This was not a practice kick. The falcons lined up to run a normal play..in this case a fieldgoal attempt. Pete stood on the sideline and instructed the side judge to signal time out when the play clock reached 2 seconds..or there abouts. The whistle was blown on the sideline and a continuation of the play (snap and kick) took place as it has hundreds of times before.

Not realizing that he was caught on camera orchestrating the timeout, he proceeds to go ballistic on the refs as if they just committed some colossal F328k up and signaled a time out when nobody ask for one. His story about the practice kick was horseshat.

Completely Dishonorable..and Pathetic.

#32 HUGGY

HUGGY

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

It happens everytime and there isn't a rule against it....

Apparent;y you have not read the NFL rules. I have. There is a rule against it. There just isn't any specific remedy for when it happens. It states clearly in the rules "That it(practice kicking of a field goal) is not allowed ANYWHERE on the field."

The refs allowed the kicker to break a rule. Once the whistle had blown on the TO all play MUST stop. Doing anything to DELAY the game has a remedy ...5 yards and if the play is within the last two minutes of any half of the game ..ten seconds must be un off the clock..which in todays case would have automatically ended the game. Why the refs have been ignoring THAT rule is a mystery to me.

http://static.nfl.co...- Rule Book.pdf

#33 stizz

stizz

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

Apparent;y you have not read the NFL rules. I have. There is a rule against it. There just isn't any specific remedy for when it happens. It states clearly in the rules "That it(practice kicking of a field goal) is not allowed ANYWHERE on the field."

The refs allowed the kicker to break a rule. Once the whistle had blown on the TO all play MUST stop. Doing anything to DELAY the game has a remedy ...5 yards and if the play is within the last two minutes of any half of the game ..ten seconds must be un off the clock..which in todays case would have automatically ended the game. Why the refs have been ignoring THAT rule is a mystery to me.

Wow you are a moron. In today's case, even if your made up rule were true, there still would have been three seconds on the clock, genius.

Take your loss like a man.

#34 defcon4

defcon4

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

How exactly do you Delay a game during a TIME OUT?

#35 Knight of God

Knight of God

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,023 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

I guess its off set by that corny "freeze the kicker" garbage. You want to get into how many penalties you guys got away with? You got one whine man. You reap what you sow. You live by the cheap play, you lose by it.

#36 Numbaz

Numbaz

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

This......

Or they could argue that the crowd was so loud that they didnt hear the whistle being blown. They also could say that they were so focused on the snap that they couldn't see the refs attempting to stop the play. It's something that's honestly impossible to argue.

#37 Numbaz

Numbaz

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

It was 13 seconds left on the clock b4 the field goal. It was a good kick too and definately could've traveled 5 more yards. It was a good game.

#38 papachaz

papachaz

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

this is not the first time ole huggy there has posted this same exact thing. and he's been wrong each time.

a coach calling a TO to ice a kicker results in the ball being snapped and the kicker being in the action of kicking in the vast MAJORITY of times it's done. In all my years of watching football, i've NEVER seen a penalty called on it.

a practice kick though, that shoud be illegal. I was sitting dumbfounded yesterday when the raven did it and got away with it. that should not have been allowed at all

#39 BartkowskiATL

BartkowskiATL

Rookie

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Didn't Seattle get handed a free game this year? By what morality system do they have room to complain?

#40 wleggett

wleggett

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

They had a thing about it really early Sunday morning after the Saturday games and the same question was asked and basically it said the practice kick is not allowed however it is NOT a penalty. The person (Mike Pereira I think) said it's same as trying to call a timeout when you don't have any. It's not allowed but there's no penalty. As for Huggy, man you're streching it. What about when defensive players stay on top of the ball carrier to slow the pace down or players toss the ball after a first down? Throwing the ball around is a penalty which results in a delay of game if I remember correctly yet it's hardly called. Get over it. Your team lost and had more to do with scoring 0 points in the first half. Go back to the Packers game if you really want to see a bad call.