Comcast Vs Direct Tv, Which Is Better?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 tactician

tactician

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I have just bought a home in North Dekalb near Northlake mall. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on if I should get Direct TV, Comcast or Uverse? What are the pros and cons, etc.

#2 Google Bot

Google Bot

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,733 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Even if the question was "what's better, Comcast or a swift kick in the nuts?" the answer still wouldn't be Comcast.

#3 GEORGIAfan

GEORGIAfan

Gheto_Po_Folk!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,491 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

I have never had a problem with comcast. I just switched from Uverse and will never go back to that mess. my Bill doubled after my promotion ended. It was even more than what I paid comcast prior to go with Uverse.

#4 DirtyBirdKert

DirtyBirdKert

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Yeah, I would rather have a root canal, or maybe have my left ear amputated than call Comcast customer support.

#5 Googlywoogly

Googlywoogly

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I have had both.  I had comcast, then switched to directtv because it was cheaper.  Comcast wasn't that bad though (I still use them for my ISP).  If they offer you a good deal for internet and tv I would take it.  Just be advised that customer service isn't going to be good.  It's not that much better with DirectTV though.  At least in my experience.

#6 Padawan Knight

Padawan Knight

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I dropped Comcast's tv service like a bad habit years ago and haven't looked back. I love DirecTV and don't plan on ever switching. I just recently went back to Comcast for my ISP, but that experience hasn't been as good as I'd like. There aren't any better choices for internet where I live, though, so I'll stick with them for now.

#7 Jimsmusic™

Jimsmusic™

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,701 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

keep comcast for internet (because direcTV doesnt give atleast cable type internet) and go with TV through direcTV

#8 clownorg

clownorg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,749 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

they both seemed to have some good and some bad about them.

However NFL Sunday ticket trumps comcast staying on in heavy rain/wind. I've had direct for almost a year now and I think I lost signal twice and for maybe a grand total of 30 minutes. I don't think I'll ever go back to cable for any reason (Unless they somehow get Sunday ticket rights)

#9 tactician

tactician

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

clownorg, on 14 January 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

they both seemed to have some good and some bad about them.

However NFL Sunday ticket trumps comcast staying on in heavy rain/wind. I've had direct for almost a year now and I think I lost signal twice and for maybe a grand total of 30 minutes. I don't think I'll ever go back to cable for any reason (Unless they somehow get Sunday ticket rights)

Does Direct tv HD look as good as cable HD?

#10 Padawan Knight

Padawan Knight

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

tactician, on 14 January 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Does Direct tv HD look as good as cable HD?

As good, if not better IMHO.

#11 clownorg

clownorg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,749 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Sure does, I actually think the picture is nicer, just a tad bit darker but much more crisp

#12 ATLIEN404

ATLIEN404

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Me personally I love Comcast. I've never had a problem with them.

#13 NewFalcon

NewFalcon

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I've been a Dish Network/satellite user for 8 years and haven't had any problems, and I'm guessing that Direct TV would be the same.  HD picture quality and reliability are really good.

I had previously been a cable TV subscriber for many years and I will tell you one big difference that might surprise you.  Occasionally your satellite service can be disrupted for a few minutes during a severe storm.  This has only happened a few times over an 8 year period; however, the outage never lasts more than a few minutes as the storm disruption ends when the storm moves on as it always does.  The system typically resets itself to recover the digital feed and voila...you're back in business.  Cable providers try and make the occasional satellite outages look much, much worse than they are in reality.

When cable goes out, it can go out for hours or days at a time and the cable companies aren't usually in a hurry to get someone out to make the fix.  Having been both a cable and satellite subscriber, my experience tells me I'd never go back to cable again.

#14 FalconState

FalconState

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have Comcast and it SUCKS

#15 Google Bot

Google Bot

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

ATLIEN404, on 15 January 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Me personally I love Comcast. I've never had a problem with them.

^^works for Comcast.

#16 birdz4i

birdz4i

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

i had comcast in the past and ugh. Posted Image    when i moved out to the country, satellite was the only option. directv used to be a ***** when it was bad weather. but now what they have upgraded their dishes and boxes i hardly ever lose signal.

#17 Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I had Direct and switched to Comcast because of their introductory price they offered. That price has since doubled and I can't stand it. I plan to switch back to Direct for television and keep Comcast for my internet. Where I live, there aren't any other options for internet and AT&T doesn't service my neighborhood. One thing that has pizzed me off about Comcast is that Fox works fine all the time EXCEPT when it is football where it continually freezes up. If I am watching football at home on Fox, I have to watch it in standard 480i which is like watching high school football on CSS.

#18 GEORGIAfan

GEORGIAfan

Gheto_Po_Folk!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,491 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

**** BOP. that has to be maddening. I never had that problem.  I guess I am the one lucky dude who is happy with his service. Price has never doubled, unlike my att experience. HD content is perfect, especially on my 120hz LED tv.

#19 Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

GEORGlAfan, on 15 January 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

**** BOP. that has to be maddening. I never had that problem.  I guess I am the one lucky dude who is happy with his service. Price has never doubled, unlike my att experience. HD content is perfect, especially on my 120hz LED tv.

It pizzes me off to no end. I also have a 1080p 120hz led but I can't even watch my Falcons at the house. I also find that Comcast doesn't have a lot of HD channels that I actually watch. But try watching football in 480i. Not a pleasant experience. I felt like I had traveled back to 1988 with crappy resolution. I'm going back to Direct just because my experience was better with them. I know they will raise the price after some time but that's when I will call them and tell them that I am switching providers and they will lower their price to keep me. ;-)