Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Faithful Falcon

So You Can Advance A Fumble On Offense?

31 posts in this topic

I guess I never understood the rule on a fumble. I always have thought that when you fumble, and the offense recovers it. The ball goes back to the point of the fumble. The Saints got a 20 yards fumble pass play.

I thought late in the game the player who fumbled it had to recover it or it's back at the spot where the fumble occurred.

A fumble forward can be recovered by a teammate unless it is inside of two minutes of either 2nd or 4th quarter.

I guess I never understood the rule on a fumble. I always have thought that when you fumble, and the offense recovers it. The ball goes back to the point of the fumble. The Saints got a 20 yards fumble pass play.

The fumble wasn't advanced, it was recovered at the 2 yard line. And it occurred within the first 5 minutes of overtime, so the other rules don't apply either.

A fumble forward can be recovered by a teammate unless it is inside of two minutes of either 2nd or 4th quarter.

The fumble wasn't advanced, it was recovered at the 2 yard line. And it occurred within the first 5 minutes of overtime, so the other rules don't apply either.

It almost seem like a rule to help certain teams. I hate the Saints, but the refs almost said that the Cowboys recovered. That would have been like Franks fumble vs NY.

No, the ball is placed at the spot of the fumble. If one of the Aints players would have knocked it forward, then it would have been illegal.

You also got 4th down fumble rules. That may be the one where the guy has to recover his own fumble. I don't know.

Officiating is just crap these days. I mean this Giants/Ravens game is terrible. The ref only said it was a forward pass once the Giants recovered the ball. When Upshaw had the ball running he didn't blow a whistle.They do stuff like this all the time. Officiating is getting worse every week with holds, PI, etc.

Officiating seems to get worse with each passing season. It seems every season they choose when to decide to enforce existing rules that they did not necessarily enforce previously. Then, they seem to decide to choose how severely to enforce said rules. To the fans, it seems like they make up rules as games go along. However, many of these rules are already apart of the written letter. They need to become more consistent week to week and season to season among all of the officiating. There shouldn't be such a disparity between games, weeks, and seasons. It disrupts the integrity of the game and sometimes alters the outcomes of games.

The supposed TD by Jones was reversed. I thought that was a suspect call. They complained about the replacements, yet don't call out the officials when they make these bogus calls. Where's the media upheaval?

papachaz likes this

Now we're getting flags on every play in this game. This is got to be the worse crew in the NFL, and I thought Hochuli's was bad.

Officiating seems to get worse with each passing season. It seems every season they choose when to decide to enforce existing rules that they did not necessarily enforce previously. Then, they seem to decide to choose how severely to enforce said rules. To the fans, it seems like they make up rules as games go along. However, many of these rules are already apart of the written letter. They need to become more consistent week to week and season to season among all of the officiating. There shouldn't be such a disparity between games, weeks, and seasons. It disrupts the integrity of the game and sometimes alters the outcomes of games.

The supposed TD by Jones was reversed. I thought that was a suspect call. They complained about the replacements, yet don't call out the officials when they make these bogus calls. Where's the media upheaval?

The media is as moronic and inconsistent as the "regular" refs. It would be like the pot calling the kettle black. The problem is the rules are subject to interpretation, which then makes them susceptible to bias, ineptitude, inattention, over-attention, bribery, corruption and plain old retardation. As is often said by the game commentators ~ "You know they could call holding every play if they wanted to." But of course they don't want to every play, just on the plays where the team they don't like or didn't bet on has a big positive play.

FalconsAboveBoard likes this

No...you get it at the recovery point I thought. I've seen plays when the ball was fumbled just outside the endzone and recovered by the offense in the endzone and ruled TD.

Fumble

1. The distinction between a fumble and a muff should be kept in mind in considering rules about fumbles. A fumble is the loss of player possession of the ball. A muff is the touching of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to obtain possession.
  2. A fumble may be advanced by any player on either team regardless of whether recovered before or after ball hits the ground.
  3. A fumble that goes forward and out of bounds will return to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble unless the ball goes out of bounds in the opponent’s end zone. In this case, it is a touchback.
  4. On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.
  5. A muffed hand-to-hand snap from center is treated as a fumble.

Tell me this.....early on in the first half of Niners/Seahawks game, Vernon Davis catches a pass and gets crushed out of bounds on about the three yard line. On top of that, I think the Seahawks defender (Kam Chancellor) went helmet-to-helmet on VD and refs through a flag for helmet-to-helmet hit.

So, next play, I'm thinking ball would be spotted on the 1 1/2 yard line first and goal......but ball looked like it was spotted on the 5 yard line. Made no sense to me. This was win the Niners were down 14-0 but about to get back in the game. They ended up kicking field goal three plays later that was blocked and returned for TD - game over.

Did anybody notice this on the ball spot as well? am i missing something that happened?