So You Can Advance A Fumble On Offense?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Faithful Falcon

Faithful Falcon

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I guess I never understood the rule on a fumble.  I always have thought that when you fumble, and the offense recovers it.  The ball goes back to the point of the fumble.  The Saints got a 20 yards fumble pass play.

#2 muskokas finest

muskokas finest

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I wondered about that too.

#3 falcons007

falcons007

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,394 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

That rule is only for the final two minutes of the game.

#4 DarkFalcon

DarkFalcon

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

I thought late in the game the player who fumbled it had to recover it or it's back at the spot where the fumble occurred.

#5 DawnOfThemBirds☑

DawnOfThemBirds☑

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,871 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I thought that the ball couldn't be advanced if the fumble went out of bounds.

#6 NoMoreVick

NoMoreVick

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

A fumble forward can be recovered by a teammate unless it is inside of two minutes of either 2nd or 4th quarter.

#7 JerseyNo12

JerseyNo12

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

[quote name='Faithful Falcon' timestamp='1356299267' post='7304608']
I guess I never understood the rule on a fumble.  I always have thought that when you fumble, and the offense recovers it.  The ball goes back to the point of the fumble.  The Saints got a 20 yards fumble pass play.
[/quote]

The fumble wasn't advanced, it was recovered at the 2 yard line. And it occurred within the first 5 minutes of overtime, so the other rules don't apply either.

Edited by JerseyNo12, 23 December 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#8 Faithful Falcon

Faithful Falcon

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

NoMoreVick, on 23 December 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

A fumble forward can be recovered by a teammate unless it is inside of two minutes of either 2nd or 4th quarter.

JerseyNo12, on 23 December 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

The fumble wasn't advanced, it was recovered at the 2 yard line. And it occurred within the first 5 minutes of overtime, so the other rules don't apply either.
It almost seem like a rule to help certain teams.  I hate the Saints, but the refs almost said that the Cowboys recovered.  That would have been like Franks fumble vs NY.

#9 TorrisATL

TorrisATL

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Faithful Falcon, on 23 December 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

No, the ball is placed at the spot of the fumble. If one of the Aints players would have knocked it forward, then it would have been illegal.

#10 setr

setr

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

it wasnt a catch anyway

#11 Kayoh

Kayoh

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

It's new orleans.  They can do what they want.

#12 FalconsAboveBoard

FalconsAboveBoard

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Well. . .the refs just screwed over the RAvens imho

#13 muskokas finest

muskokas finest

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Refs also missed a head2head/defenseless receiver today in the Vikings game.

#14 jeffro2000

jeffro2000

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

You also got 4th down fumble rules. That may be the one where the guy has to recover his own fumble. I don't know.

Officiating is just crap these days. I mean this Giants/Ravens game is terrible. The ref only said it was a forward pass once the Giants recovered the ball. When Upshaw had the ball running he didn't blow a whistle.They do stuff like this all the time. Officiating is getting worse every week with holds, PI, etc.

#15 FalconsAboveBoard

FalconsAboveBoard

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Officiating seems to get worse with each passing season. It seems every season they choose when to decide to enforce existing rules that they did not necessarily enforce previously. Then, they seem to decide to choose how severely to enforce said rules. To the fans, it seems like they make up rules as games go along. However, many of these rules are already apart of the written letter. They need to become more consistent week to week and season to season among all of the officiating. There shouldn't be such a disparity between games, weeks, and seasons. It disrupts the integrity of the game and sometimes alters the outcomes of games.

The supposed TD by Jones was reversed. I thought that was a suspect call. They complained about the replacements, yet don't call out the officials when they make these bogus calls. Where's the media upheaval?

Edited by Falcon Knight, 23 December 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#16 Chuckiebob16

Chuckiebob16

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Giants getting hosed by the refs tonight.

#17 jeffro2000

jeffro2000

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Now we're getting flags on every play in this game. This is got to be the worse crew in the NFL, and I thought Hochuli's was bad.

#18 Faithful Falcon

Faithful Falcon

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Bad calls along side new rules will screw a lot of teams over. That call vs ARI and the rule is just stupid.

#19 PokerSteve

PokerSteve

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Falcon Knight, on 23 December 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Officiating seems to get worse with each passing season. It seems every season they choose when to decide to enforce existing rules that they did not necessarily enforce previously. Then, they seem to decide to choose how severely to enforce said rules. To the fans, it seems like they make up rules as games go along. However, many of these rules are already apart of the written letter. They need to become more consistent week to week and season to season among all of the officiating. There shouldn't be such a disparity between games, weeks, and seasons. It disrupts the integrity of the game and sometimes alters the outcomes of games.

The supposed TD by Jones was reversed. I thought that was a suspect call. They complained about the replacements, yet don't call out the officials when they make these bogus calls. Where's the media upheaval?
The media is as moronic and inconsistent as the "regular" refs. It would be like the pot calling the kettle black. The problem is the rules are subject to interpretation, which then makes them susceptible to bias, ineptitude, inattention, over-attention, bribery, corruption and plain old retardation. As is often said by the game commentators ~ "You know they could call holding every play if they wanted to." But of course they don't want to every play, just on the plays where the team they don't like or didn't bet on has a big positive play.

#20 Theyhateme : )

Theyhateme : )

Falcon Fan Since 1976

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,380 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Faithful Falcon, on 23 December 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

No...you get it at the recovery point I thought.  I've seen plays when the ball was fumbled just outside the endzone and recovered by the offense in the endzone and ruled TD.