Jump to content





Is There A Stat For Qb Pressures? Seems Like We Have Alot

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 Andre5000

Andre5000

    Veteran Falcon

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,364 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Seems like although we dont have all that many sacks we have a TON of QB pressures. I remember before the season in an interview Nolan saying that QB pressures were just as important as sacks. Hurries force mistakes and we have forced alot of mistakes.   Is there a stat or a way to see who has QB pressures?

#2 OC

OC

    Starting Lineup

  • Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

I'm not really sure. But that does go to show that stats don't always tell the whole story.

#3 Andre5000

Andre5000

    Veteran Falcon

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,364 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostSpot on Dtan: Elite Poster, on 11 October 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Pulling at straws here folks.

Fact remains; TD has yet to add a decent piece to the DL in his 5 years as GM.

that isnt the question i was askin.   This post has nothing to do with who we drafted, we been blitzing safeties and corners etc.   Plus we drafted Corey Peters and Peria seems to be plugging some holes.  Beirman getting pressure..Spoon is pressuring QBs  didnt he draft those guys?

#4 Tandy

Tandy

    Thanks Karst41 for my tag - I love it!

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,210 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

14 sacks - 12 hits - 47 hurries

Leaders:

Sacks - Babs (4), Abe & Spoon (3 ea)

Hits - Abe (3), Spoon, Biermann, Edwards (2 ea)

Hurries - Abe (10), Biermann (8), Spoon & Babs (5 ea)

#5 Sun Tzu 7

Sun Tzu 7

    Veteran Falcon

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,420 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Pro Football Focus might give you something but I think it's going to be at a player level and may only be available as a 'premium statistic' meaning you have to pay for it.

An alternative way to look at QB pressures would be overall pass defense and turnovers... both of which I believe we've been pretty good at.

#6 Falcan Moore

Falcan Moore

    Veteran Falcon

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

Eh, we're 11th or something in sacks. Much better than years previous.

#7 Tandy

Tandy

    Thanks Karst41 for my tag - I love it!

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,210 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

Here's something cool about Spoon for his position (OLB) in the NFL:

2nd in QB Sacks, 4th in QB hits, 2nd in QB hurries

#8 Mid-Nite-Toker

Mid-Nite-Toker

    Veteran Falcon

  • Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

If Peters can comeback 100%, I'm expecting great things from the D/Line post bye week.

#9 Atlsport

Atlsport

    ~

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,959 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostSkiFalcon, on 11 October 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Seems like although we dont have all that many sacks we have a TON of QB pressures. I remember before the season in an interview Nolan saying that QB pressures were just as important as sacks. Hurries force mistakes and we have forced alot of mistakes.   Is there a stat or a way to see who has QB pressures?
Looking for Ray Edwards? Posted Image

#10 FalconFanForLife

FalconFanForLife

    Veteran Falcon

  • Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostTandy, on 11 October 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

14 sacks - 12 hits - 47 hurries

Leaders:

Sacks - Babs (4), Abe & Spoon (3 ea)

Hits - Abe (3), Spoon, Biermann, Edwards (2 ea)

Hurries - Abe (10), Biermann (8), Spoon & Babs (5 ea)

Thanks Tandy !

#11 Falcanuck

Falcanuck

    Veteran Falcon

  • Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

I feel like the Falcons rarely get pressure Posted Image

But interestingly enough, we're only 2 sacks behind the Texans (who have the league leader in sacks). So I like where we stand. You can game plan for one player (JJ Watt), you can't for an entire team.

#12 falcons007

falcons007

    Pro Bowler

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Pressure stats don't tell the whole picture because they don't track how long the pressure was on the QB and where the pressure came from. If number of QB hurries was real measure Falcons had one of the best pass rush in 2011 even better than Ravens. It would be great if there are some stats on what the pressure did to the QB.

#13 falcons007

falcons007

    Pro Bowler

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostFalcanuck, on 11 October 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

I feel like the Falcons rarely get pressure Posted Image

But interestingly enough, we're only 2 sacks behind the Texans (who have the league leader in sacks). So I like where we stand. You can game plan for one player (JJ Watt), you can't for an entire team.
I remember Mike Nolan saying the samething when he came to Atlanta. I want 10 guys having 4 sacks than 4 guys having 10 sacks.

#14 CHOCTHEFALCONFAN™

CHOCTHEFALCONFAN™

    DIEHARDFALCONFAN!!

  • Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

And Ray Edwards is no where to be found!

#15 TheFatboi

TheFatboi

    Starting Lineup

  • Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

I don't know why ppl keep saying we're not getting any pass rush. We're doing well. We're 11th in sacks AFTER playing two of the most mobile and dangerous qb's in the league. Next is Palmer which could easily make for a 4-5 sack day if he keeps trying to go deep to his speedy receivers. Like I said in the offseason if we get 40-50 sacks this year that's a playoff caliber defense. Normally sacks and pressure come from Abe but the Dline has 8.5 sacks amongst them. That's what we want.

Edited by TheFatboi, 11 October 2012 - 02:23 PM.


#16 I Am The Truth

I Am The Truth

    Starting Lineup

  • Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostTandy, on 11 October 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

14 sacks - 12 hits - 47 hurries

Leaders:

Sacks - Babs (4), Abe & Spoon (3 ea)

Hits - Abe (3), Spoon, Biermann, Edwards (2 ea)

Hurries - Abe (10), Biermann (8), Spoon & Babs (5 ea)
Where did you get this breakdown? I'd love to know.

#17 Tandy

Tandy

    Thanks Karst41 for my tag - I love it!

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,210 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

View Postfalcons007, on 11 October 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

Pressure stats don't tell the whole picture because they don't track how long the pressure was on the QB and where the pressure came from. If number of QB hurries was real measure Falcons had one of the best pass rush in 2011 even better than Ravens. It would be great if there are some stats on what the pressure did to the QB.

There is - it's a quarterback stat, though.    The results of the pressure is not really something the defender can control - it's how the QB handles pressure situations.

In our case, Ryan is ranked #2 in the league at accuracy under pressure.    A rookie is ranked #1 - guess who it is?

#18 Tandy

Tandy

    Thanks Karst41 for my tag - I love it!

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,210 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostI Am The Truth, on 11 October 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

Where did you get this breakdown? I'd love to know.

Those stats come from defender stats at Profootball Focus

#19 cannonballsghost

cannonballsghost

    Starting Lineup

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Tandy you are a credit to the board.........thanks for all the good work


sam

#20 Tandy

Tandy

    Thanks Karst41 for my tag - I love it!

  • Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,210 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

View Postcannonballsghost, on 11 October 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Tandy you are a credit to the board.........thanks for all the good work


sam

Sam, you know I'm a numbers freak - love to analyze and break down the numbers in the numbers.   This is right up my alley - and it's my pleasure!