Jason Whitlock's Take On Peyton Manning And John Fox

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 JOEinPHX

JOEinPHX

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

The national media have tried to turn Peyton Manning's return into a feel-good-comeback-of-the-year kind of story. And it would be a story most of us could get behind. But the truth is something else, as demonstrated Monday night, and Whitlock is the first big media guy to say what's seemed obvious to me since Week 3 of the PS. Most sportswriters proclaimed that Manning was back to form after one good quarter against the 49ers. And he did look good. But he never threw deeper than 25 yards, and now I think we know why. Here's an excerpt from Whitlock on the FOX Sports site:

7. John Fox melted down in the first half of Monday night's Broncos-Falcons game because he witnessed his worst Peyton Manning fears, not because the refs were awful.

Berating the refs and talking about the refs were convenient excuses for Fox and ESPN “MNF” analyst Jon Gruden to avoid the elephant in the room. Manning can't throw the ball accurately or with zip more than 20 yards. Manning is toast. Every time he tried to challenge the middle of the field, the Falcons intercepted his weak pass.
Denver scrapped its game plan after the first quarter. Manning threw sideways the rest of the night. Denver was reduced to dinking and dunking. This was painfully obvious. It was embarrassing listening to Gruden avoid the topic and continue to sing the praises of Manning as he handed the ball to Willis McGahee and threw 8-yard outs to Brandon Stokley.

I get that Manning is ratings gold for TV networks, but Gruden took a dump on his own credibility shilling for Manning in such an obvious manner. Manning used to make the opposition defend the entire field. That’s over. He can’t take the top off a defense. On numerous first and second downs, the Falcons walked their safeties up and begged Manning to throw deep. He never even tried. When he threw a few skinny post routes, the passes lacked the customary zip. They got there at about the same time as the safety or corner, who blew up the receiver or defensed the pass.

I think the Falcons were lucky to get Denver in Week 2, before Manning and his coaches faced up to the reality of his limits. We might not have seen those picks otherwise. I agree with Whitlock that Denver scrapped its gameplan after the first quarter, and I don't think we'll see Manning try to work deep for the rest of the season, or the rest of his career for that matter. What we will see is Broncos opponents game planning for a very limited offense the rest of the way.

#2 Carl927

Carl927

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

They got exposed. A lesser defensive opponent wouldn't have exposed the flaw. The Falcons weren't lucky to get Denver in Week 2. I say Denver was unlucky they played the Falcons so early in the season.

They might have rocked on a lot longer.

#3 SwampyMux12

SwampyMux12

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

I really noticed the lack of velocity in his throws the week before. Even those 8 yard outs to Stokley don't have the same pop they used to. Personally I think he will be fine because he's smart and he's going to adapt to his limitations. He's still really accurate so he can get the job done, but yeah, he's not completing many 50 yard bombs this year...

#4 QuantumFalconz

QuantumFalconz

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

For the life of me I still didn't see what everyone else saw,I never thought Manning had a rocket arm. I've seen him throw alot of ducks.

#5 DawnOfThemBirds

DawnOfThemBirds

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

For the life of me I still didn't see what everyone else saw,I never thought Manning had a rocket arm. I've seen him throw alot of ducks.

I agree, I have seen many Colts games where he was picked mostly because of sailed passes.

#6 Carl927

Carl927

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

I agree, I have seen many Colts games where he was picked mostly because of sailed passes.

The sailed passes in themselves wouldn't have been disastrous -- IF Manning's decision-making hadn't been so god-awful A weakness was exposed.

#7 DawnOfThemBirds

DawnOfThemBirds

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,344 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

The sailed passes in themselves wouldn't have been disastrous -- IF Manning's decision-making hadn't been so god-awful A weakness was exposed.

I know, I was just saying that many people(including the media) are making too many excuses about Peyton's arm strength when it wasn't all that strong to begin with.

#8 pzummo

pzummo

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,518 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

His interceptions were because of great gameplanning. I'm sorry but the reality is that he has enough arm strength. What made him deadly wasn't sitting back throwing bombs. What made him deadly was hitting guys 20 yards away in stride and Wayne getting extra yardage or hitting Clark on a crossing pattern in stride. His timing and accuracy and his ability to dissect a defense is what made him great, not the seldom bombs he threw.

I do think his arm is still a little weak but I think the gameplan exposed him. Not knowing the coverage destroyed the one biggest advantage he always had. Knowing and anticipating who was going to be open and where. We took that away and he looked less than pedestrian. Great job by Nolan.

If a defense thinks they are going to sit back in a Cover 2 and do what we did, they are going to get a rude awakening. If defenses show their hand before the snap, Peyton will eat them up. Weak arm or not.

#9 kiwifalcon

kiwifalcon

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

His interceptions were because of great gameplanning. I'm sorry but the reality is that he has enough arm strength. What made him deadly wasn't sitting back throwing bombs. What made him deadly was hitting guys 20 yards away in stride and Wayne getting extra yardage or hitting Clark on a crossing pattern in stride. His timing and accuracy and his ability to dissect a defense is what made him great, not the seldom bombs he threw.

I do think his arm is still a little weak but I think the gameplan exposed him. Not knowing the coverage destroyed the one biggest advantage he always had. Knowing and anticipating who was going to be open and where. We took that away and he looked less than pedestrian. Great job by Nolan.

If a defense thinks they are going to sit back in a Cover 2 and do what we did, they are going to get a rude awakening. If defenses show their hand before the snap, Peyton will eat them up. Weak arm or not.

This is what got me with all the media coverage about Manning very little was said about how good Nolan game planned Manning the media always looked for another angle.I mean we didn't even have our best cover CB out there and CO23 was gone early so we were right down the depth chart when putting DB's out there but the next man up mentaility and everyone including #4 and #5 CB's bought in and our backend never missed a beat.

I'm with you Pzummo Nolan needs to be given more credit here and if the National media don't want to recognise it well what else can you say.

#10 The O.D.B

The O.D.B

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

Peyton didn't appear to throw down the field in the Steelers game either. However, couldn't it be said that they got lucky playing us week 2 while our Offense is still working out the kinks? The score could've easily been 28 zip in the 1st and 35 or 42 zip by half. It goes both ways.If Gonzo and JJ hadn't dropped several it could've been really bad for the ponies

#11 Carl927

Carl927

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

I think the media is watching to see if Nolan designed the strategy of a lifetime vs Denver, or if it's continued versus others. He'll get his if he keeps it up.

#12 falconidae

falconidae

Falconinae

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,119 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

It may be that Manning's arm strength improves over the year. Hope so- he needs to beat a couple of our division rivals.

#13 slamee101

slamee101

This Is My Boomstick!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,283 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Whitlock's still a clown.

#14 tobyd77

tobyd77

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

Guys the Steelers got beat by Peyton Manning's now weak arm and before us the Steelers didn't discover that about peyton we did. I don't have remorse for Mannings Lack of a throwing arm and neither did Nolan and this defense.

No one was saying anything about Peyton's arm when the steelers got beat. Instead some try to make excuses as to why we beat Peyton and his Broncos instead of realizing the Falcons got Peyton fair and square. The name of the game is to try and find a weak point and attack it and that is what we did.

#15 QuantumFalconz

QuantumFalconz

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

I know, I was just saying that many people(including the media) are making too many excuses about Peyton's arm strength when it wasn't all that strong to begin with.

Right, I think people just goes off what the(media)or other people say. They don't formulate their own conclusions.

#16 Carl927

Carl927

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Perception is colored by whatever prejudice you bring with you. That goes for the media as well as for the average guy.

People were expecting to see Peyton carve up the Falcons D in a big game. That didn't happen, so they scramble to explain why. So... there must have been something wrong with Manning.

#17 FalconFanForLife

FalconFanForLife

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yeah good point we have been hearing about Manning's weak arm since he came into the league. Very similar to Ryan's noodle arm. Posted Image

Edited by FalconFanForLife, 19 September 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#18 Da Bird is Da Word

Da Bird is Da Word

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

Actually the commentators were talking a lot about Nolan's defense and how it was confusing Payton during the game, but after the show all you heard about was the referee blunders and Payton's mistakes.

Edited by Da Bird is Da Word, 19 September 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#19 Carl927

Carl927

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

Actually the commentators were talking a lot about Nolan's defense and how it was confusing Payton during the game, but after the show all you heard about was the referee blunders and Payton's mistakes.

The postgame commentators were probably handed their talking points by someone else. There's too much coordination going on with graphics, film, and commentary for everything to be spontaneous and honest. I'd bet they had a contingency plan for a Manning turdfest, and that was what we got. The ref-suck is a hot-button topic.

#20 Butudontseeme™

Butudontseeme™

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,942 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

I can't stand Whitlock and his annoying know-it-all schtick. He is so overly "in yo face" and IMO rarely ever dead on.

I don't think it was Manning's arm strength anyways. One or two of his INTs, I believe, were caused by the confusion of the defensive look compounded with the complexity of Peyton's offense and calls at the line.