Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

falconsfaninfresno

Is John Abraham Hall Of Fame Worthy?

63 posts in this topic

I certainly think so but after having a discussion with 49er and Raider Fans (friends) they seem to think not. Of course they think that and screw them but do any Falcons fan think he is not worthy of the Hall of Fame? Just curious what you guys think....

I think he definitely is. And once his career is finished (1-3 more years I would think) I believe he will solidify himself as a worthy HOF candidate even more.

Here are the DE currently in the HOF. Will be nice to see John on this list and going in as A Falcon...hopefully with a SB Ring!!

Doug Atkins (DE) 1953-1969

Elvin Bethea (DE) 1968-1983

Junious (Buck) Buchanan (DT) 1963-1975

Willie Davis (DE) 1958-1969

Fred Dean (DE) 1975-1985

Richard Dent 1983-1997

Chris Doleman (DE, LB) 1985-1999

Art Donovan (DT) 1950-1961

Carl Eller (DE) 1964-1979

Len Ford (DE) 1948-1958

Joe Greene (DT) 1969-1981

Dan Hampton (DT-DE) 1979-1990

David (Deacon) Jones (DE) 1961-1974

Henry Jordan (DT) 1957-1969

Cortez Kennedy (DT) 1990-2000

Bob Lilly (DT) 1961-1974

Howie Long (DE) 1981-1993

Gino Marchetti (DE) 1952-1964, 1966

Leo Nomellini (DT) 1950-1963

Merlin Olsen (DT) 1962-1976

Alan Page (DT) 1967-1981

John Randle 1990-2003

Andy Robustelli (DE) 1951-1964

Lee Roy Selmon (DE) 1976-1984

Bruce Smith 1985-2003

Ernie Stautner (DT) 1950-1963

Arnie Weinmeister (DT) 1948-1953

Randy White (DT) 1975-1988

Reggie White (DT-DE) 1985-1998, 2000

Bill Willis (MG) 1946-1953

Jack Youngblood (DE) 1971-1984

I guess Reggie White is in as a DT?

As for Abe... It will be hard for him to get in I think. Great player but he better put up some d*mn good numbers from here on out.

Keep in mind many think Claude Humphrey should be in HOF. They didn't track sacks back then but he is credited with 122 in his career. Sacks can't be the only factor but the guy was a beast and IS NOT IN THE HALL. Gotta make you wonder...

I guess Reggie White is in as a DT?

As for Abe... It will be hard for him to get in I think. Great player but he better put up some d*mn good numbers from here on out.

Actually he is listed as both, I'll change the list.

I don't see Abe making and I personally think he is just on the cusp of being worthy to make it.

Statistically, absolutely. He's one of the best pass rushers in history, had he stayed healthy in the earlier part of his career like he has the last few years, I think there would be no doubt. I think now he needs a ring to be a lock.

If julius peppers goes then Abe should go.

They are statistically equal with Abe having more sacks in less years. The only edge is peppers has more interceptions. Some would argue peppers is a better overall player but my argument would be peppers has always been part of an elite front 4.

Peppers no ring

Abe no ring

Most would say peppers is a lock, i think Abe should defiantly be considered.

They are statistically equal with Abe having more sacks in less years. The only edge is peppers has more interceptions. Some would argue peppers is a better overall player but my argument would be peppers has always been part of an elite front 4.

Peppers no ring

Abe no ring

How does Abraham have more sacks in less years? Abraham rookie year 2000, Peppers rookie year 2002?

Peppers no ring

Abe no ring

Peppers IS an all around better DE. Dude is the most complete DE to play the game for the past decade. He will definitely be a lock by the time his career is over with. He still has 5+ years left i would think.

Abe has 6 more games than peppers excuse me . Peppers is a great all around DE. Everyone one on the line in his early years with Carolina where all studs. The best front 4 of the time.

Ja55-

Games-159

Tackles-473

Sacks-112

FF-38

Peppers

Games-154

Sacks- 100

Tackles- 473

FF-36

Abe leads or ties every category in 6 more games.

Why is peppers regarded so high?

Keep in mind many think Claude Humphrey should be in HOF. They didn't track sacks back then but he is credited with 122 in his career. Sacks can't be the only factor but the guy was a beast and IS NOT IN THE HALL. Gotta make you wonder...

I think that Abraham has had games where he has completely dominated the opposing offense and he has done this multiple times. If not mistaken he currently is the active leader in sacks with J. Taylor from Miami retiring.

I think a couple more 10 sack seasons, and he should get in, prob not on 1st or 2nd ballad and depends on some playoff success for him.

Abe has 6 more games than peppers excuse me . Peppers is a great all around DE. Everyone one on the line in his early years with Carolina where all studs. The best front 4 of the time.

Ja55-

Games-159

Tackles-473

Sacks-112

FF-38

Peppers

Games-154

Sacks- 100

Tackles- 473

FF-36

Abe leads or ties every category in 6 more games.

Why is peppers regarded so high?

Because he played for the Panthers and we know how the NFL media has long loved the Panthers for no apparent reason.

The best way to tell is to look at the guys who haven't quite made it. If those guys have better stats/were better, then the guy doesn't have a good chance. That is happening right now with WRs. There are a lot of guys with pretty good stats, and they're not making it in.

Abe isn't considered the most dominant DE of his time (Peppers, Strahan, Allen are considered better all around players and they're giving ways to guys like Pierre Paul, etc.)

It took Chris Doleman seven tries to get in. With 8 probowls, 2 all pro 1st team, 2 all pro 2nd team. 150 sacks, 914 tackles, 44 FF.

Richard Dent isn't in. 4 probowls, 2 all pro 1st team, 2 all pro 2nd team. 137.5 sacks, 2 time SuperBowl winner.

Charles Haley and a few others are similar.

I'd think he'd need another 30 sacks and a Super Bowl just to be in the conversation.

muskokas finest © likes this

The best way to tell is to look at the guys who haven't quite made it. If those guys have better stats/were better, then the guy doesn't have a good chance. That is happening right now with WRs. There are a lot of guys with pretty good stats, and they're not making it in.

Abe isn't considered the most dominant DE of his time (Peppers, Strahan, Allen are considered better all around players and they're giving ways to guys like Pierre Paul, etc.)

It took Chris Doleman seven tries to get in. With 8 probowls, 2 all pro 1st team, 2 all pro 2nd team. 150 sacks, 914 tackles, 44 FF.

Richard Dent isn't in. 4 probowls, 2 all pro 1st team, 2 all pro 2nd team. 137.5 sacks, 2 time SuperBowl winner.

Charles Haley and a few others are similar.

I'd think he'd need another 30 sacks and a Super Bowl just to be in the conversation.

If Richard Dent and Charles Haley aren't in the HOF then Abraham is never getting in the HOF.