Saints Sign Lb, David Hawthorne

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 Saintsfan#1

Saintsfan#1

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

https://twitter.com/...281489916993536

Saints signed LB David Hawthorne to a five-year contract.

The Saints are overhauling their linebacker corps, perhaps in anticipation of a string of "Bounty" suspensions. In spite of their ongoing offseason woes and relatively little salary cap space, the Saints have done well in free agency. An effective run-stopper at middle linebacker in Seattle last season, Hawthorne will likely switch back to the weak side in New Orleans with Curtis Lofton slated for "mike" duties. The Seahawks seemed to be hoping their leading tackler over the past three seasons would return at a cheap rate after originally being greeted by a soft market

#2 vel

vel

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,175 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Wow. How much money do they have again?

#3 Saintsfan#1

Saintsfan#1

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

View Postvel, on 03 April 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Saints are paying them in peanuts and some of New Orleans finest hookers

#4 sdogg

sdogg

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,808 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

and Drew Brees just tweeted "SMH" or at least thats what hes doing right now.

#5 Guest_TheIdowu_*

Guest_TheIdowu_*
  • Anonymous / Guest

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Wow, why is an AINT posting AINT material and starting AINT-related threads HERE ON TATF????? Go to rival central with this jive.

#6 Glorioso

Glorioso

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

and Drew Brees just tweeted "SMH" or at least thats what hes doing right now.
he sure is. Just realized what the Falcons are left with in the LB corps and had visions of Jimmy running free over the middle. Great signing....3rd ranked and 4th ranked ILBs now on our roster. A steep upgrade in our weakest position in 2011.

#7 didz

didz

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Its called being in cap **** for the next 10 years.  Great move Saints!!!  Keep signing guys while Drew Brees is waiting for that huge contract!

#8 atljbo

atljbo

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,215 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

The saints are letting their 1st year count very low on their 1st year... I think they are banking on the future cap will go up soon.... Vilma have to know his future is not bright in the N.O

#9 cnasty

cnasty

Even Elvis keeps his pimp hand strong

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

View Postvel, on 03 April 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

They'll have plenty when they can't get Brees inked.

#10 Glorioso

Glorioso

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

The saints are letting their 1st year count very low on their 1st year... I think they are banking on the future cap will go up soon.... Vilma have to know his future is not bright in the N.O
its entirely possible that he will face year long suspension. If so, his salary is not payable and not counted in cap. Could mean we are releasing Shanle as well. We will see soon enough. I think Drew\'s contract will be worked out over summer after June 1.

#11 SaintRay

SaintRay

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,447 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Brees will sign a long term deal this year.

#12 sdogg

sdogg

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,808 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostGlorioso, on 03 April 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

he sure is. Just realized what the Falcons are left with in the LB corps and had visions of Jimmy running free over the middle. Great signing....3rd ranked and 4th ranked ILBs now on our roster. A steep upgrade in our weakest position in 2011.

Running free over the middle with Lofton. Now hes on your team. Lofton & Hawthorne are not good cover LB's. There will be plenty of slot WR's and TE's running across the middle on you guys. Your run D should improve, but not coverage.

#13 atljbo

atljbo

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,215 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

David Hawthorne is a good LB tho... I still dont think they have attacked their biggest need tho... Pass rusher...

Him and Lofton as good signings (I think Hawthorne is bigger because he is better in coverage)

Its interesting to see what happens because Spags is not a big blitzer...

#14 Zodiac

Zodiac

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

The Saints are trying to build the league's best run D... When running the ball is becoming obsolete

Edited by Zodiac, 03 April 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#15 Sven

Sven

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

How good is this dude in coverage? I was under the impression that, like Lofton, this guy is a great two down thumper but blows fat d*ck in coverage, but to be honest I don't know much at all about Seahawks players in comparison to what I know about Falcons players.

They're just preparing for Vilma's and Shanle's departure. Its a smart move regardless of how bad Hawthorne is in coverage, considering I've noticed that Loomis can't draft good defensive talent to save his life.

We still have a better LB corps and will have a better defense, and they will still have a better offense next year (unless hell freezes over). Good games to be watched in the future, unless they can't afford Brees, which I doubt.

Edited by Sven, 03 April 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#16 atljbo

atljbo

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,215 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostGlorioso, on 03 April 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

its entirely possible that he will face year long suspension. If so, his salary is not payable and not counted in cap. Could mean we are releasing Shanle as well. We will see soon enough. I think Drew\'s contract will be worked out over summer after June 1.

It will be paid.... Suspension money goes towards charty (from what i heard in the pass) and yea... The saints dont get to keep that money.

Im not sure about the cap cost.... I dont know is it the same but i remember vick counted against our cap

#17 Glorioso

Glorioso

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

The Saints are teying to build the league\'s best run D... When running the ball is becoming obsolete
I think that all teams plan for division. We face Turner/RogersCam/Stewart/WilliamsBlount/possibly Richardsonalso, Its the most common way opponents feel they can beat us...running the ball, control clock, keep our offense off the field. Spags employs a different defensive scheme than GW. So obviously we are building the D around his philosophy and our current LBs werent filling the grade.

#18 Zodiac

Zodiac

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostGlorioso, on 03 April 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

I think that all teams plan for division. We face Turner/RogersCam/Stewart/WilliamsBlount/possibly Richardsonalso, Its the most common way opponents feel they can beat us...running the ball, control clock, keep our offense off the field. Spags employs a different defensive scheme than GW. So obviously we are building the D around his philosophy and our current LBs werent filling the grade.
Turner and Blount are on the way out and Carolina was/is shopping Stewart

Also the 49ers proved last year that the Saints biggest weakness was their 31st ranked pass D, you guys have nothing in terms of a secondary.

Now you're signing mikes to play sam and will.

Seriously running the ball is becoming a thing of the past to everyone except NOLA who traded up for a 1st round RB and has now signed two Mike LBs along with a run stuffing DT

If you guys think run D is the weakness then just wait until Harper isnt blitzing every other down.

#19 g-dawg

g-dawg

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,887 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

View Postatljbo, on 03 April 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

jbo, then why are all the articles coming out saying the cap is going to stay low  for the next 2-3 years?.......

#20 atljbo

atljbo

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,215 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

View Postg-dawg, on 03 April 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

jbo, then why are all the articles coming out saying the cap is going to stay low  for the next 2-3 years?.......

Because it is.... Some (the NFLPA) and some teams think the cap will boom up.....Robert Kraft said its not.... He said just becausewe signed a big deal doesnt mean the TV company's are not going to pay it all at once or in big installments....

It sound like he thinks they will back load the deal.... I think the cap will go up some but not what some think