What's Cooking With Baker?

- - - - - Insider

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 vafalconfan

vafalconfan

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

What's cooking with Baker?

AM ET

In recent weeks, there have been rumors that the Atlanta Falcons were going to move on from Sam Baker and Will Svitek as their left tackle options, and Mike Tanier of Football Outsiders noted that Marcus McNeill -- who is reportedly on his way to being cut by the San Diego Chargers -- could be signed to fill in as the starting LT in 2012. However, there is still a chance that the Falcons stick with their incumbents.

"We are looking forward to having a healthy Sam back," Falcons head coach Mike Smith indicated from the NFL scouting combine, per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Sam is very resilient. He's fought through a lot of injuries."

It seems as though all of the Falcons options here are riddled with inconsistent health (McNeill's condition is one reason why the Bolts are believed to be moving away from him). One player that could be under consideration -- though this is just speculation -- is Arizona's Levi Brown, a former first-rounder whose play improved significantly down the stretch of 2011.

- Tim Kavanagh

#2 root down

root down

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

svitek is serviceable, Baker makes too much to be a backup.  Cut baker save money.  gotta get someone to back up svitek.  I would like McNeil, as long as the bidding war didn't get crazy.

#3 usmcdirtybird

usmcdirtybird

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,606 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

McNeil or Levi Brown for the right price then get Ben Grubbs and the O-line is set until we draft Keith Ziegler (Wisconsin and I mispelled the name) in the 3rd round.

#4 vafalconfan

vafalconfan

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Postusmcdirtybird, on 06 March 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

McNeil or Levi Brown for the right price then get Ben Grubbs and the O-line is set until we draft Keith Ziegler (Wisconsin and I mispelled the name) in the 3rd round.

Yep, and we're about to find out what TD's plan is for the O-line with the start of free agency. I think Baker is gone simply because of his contract. If he's healthy they mught play him, but can you trust a guy that can't stay on the field?.. I don't think so. Not after what happened last year.