Espn Andrew Luck Scouting Report, Compared To Ryan, Elway, And P Manning

- - - - - Interesting Read

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Sun Tzu 7

Sun Tzu 7

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

Interesting read comparing Andrew Luck's college scouting report to Matt Ryan, John Elway, and Peyton Manning.

http://espn.go.com/n...scouting-report

It's an interesting read but to be honest other than Mike Mayock I don't remember anyone hyping Ryan like this.

According to these reports Ryan was one of the highest rated QBs coming out of college in years.... like a can't miss prospect. Again,  I don't remember hearing anything like that other than from Mike Mayock.

#2 Atl/0

Atl/0

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

View PostSun Tzu 7, on 08 December 2011 - 02:19 PM, said:

Interesting read comparing Andrew Luck's college scouting report to Matt Ryan, John Elway, and Peyton Manning.

http://espn.go.com/n...scouting-report

It's an interesting read but to be honest other than Mike Mayock I don't remember anyone hyping Ryan like this.

According to these reports Ryan was one of the highest rated QBs coming out of college in years.... like a can't miss prospect. Again,  I don't remember hearing anything like that other than from Mike Mayock.

Luck is the most pro ready QB in this draft but that doesn't mean he's the most talented. The comparison to Ryan is correct because that's basically what he is. He is a more athletic, bigger armed Ryan.

Barkely is still better though...

#3 kane#7

kane#7

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

There was not that much hype for Ryan.. we wouldn't of got him at #3 if this was true....

Nice to see though but coming out of college Luck > Ryan.... Doesn't mean it will translate as well in the NFL but that is all you have to go on.

#4 Atl/0

Atl/0

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

View Postkane#7, on 08 December 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

There was not that much hype for Ryan.. we wouldn't of got him at #3 if this was true....

Nice to see though but coming out of college Luck > Ryan.... Doesn't mean it will translate as well in the NFL but that is all you have to go on.

Most of the hype for Ryan came from the fluke win he had against Virginia Tech when they were front runners for the BCS title. Not to mention the qb class that year was fairly weak compared to the past couple of years. Last years class and the class coming out this year have way more talent than those in 2007.

#5 BankerBirdô

BankerBirdô

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,279 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

Most NFL-ready college QB: 1. Andrew Luck. 2. Matt Barkley 3. Russell Wilson. 4. Robert Griffin III. Most talented college QB: 1. Griffin III 2. Wilson 3. Barkley 4. Luck. Of course, that ranking is totally subjective and dependent upon how you define "NFL-ready" and "most talented". So, don't flame me too much. Posted Image

#6 since68andcounting

since68andcounting

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

View PostAtl/0, on 08 December 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

Most of the hype for Ryan came from the fluke win he had against Virginia Tech when they were front runners for the BCS title. Not to mention the qb class that year was fairly weak compared to the past couple of years. Last years class and the class coming out this year have way more talent than those in 2007.

Fluke? Really??? I watched that game. There was nothing fluke about it. Did BC deserve to win? Of course not. Va Tech beat their brains out for 3 1/2 quarters.

What I saw was a QB take a team on his back for 10+ minutes and will them to victory. Like him or not, you have to give Ryan credit for that. He REFUSED to give up when the rest of the team had quit 3 quarters ago.

#7 Simicager

Simicager

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

One of the most nfl ready qbs of the past 30 years is Matt Ryan. That showed when he lead us to the playoffs in his first year

#8 Simicager

Simicager

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

View PostBankerBird™, on 08 December 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

Most NFL-ready college QB: 1. Andrew Luck. 2. Matt Barkley 3. Russell Wilson. 4. Robert Griffin III. Most talented college QB: 1. Griffin III 2. Wilson 3. Barkley 4. Luck. Of course, that ranking is totally subjective and dependent upon how you define "NFL-ready" and "most talented". So, don't flame me too much. Posted Image
Russell Wilson is 5'11 I doubt he gets drafted.

Edited by Simicager, 08 December 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#9 Atl/0

Atl/0

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

View PostBankerBird™, on 08 December 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

Wilson has talent but his size might put him in a disadvantage when it comes to scouts. Other than that your spot on.

#10 Atl/0

Atl/0

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

View Postsince68andcounting, on 08 December 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

Fluke? Really??? I watched that game. There was nothing fluke about it. Did BC deserve to win? Of course not. Va Tech beat their brains out for 3 1/2 quarters.

What I saw was a QB take a team on his back for 10+ minutes and will them to victory. Like him or not, you have to give Ryan credit for that. He REFUSED to give up when the rest of the team had quit 3 quarters ago.

He came back in the last 5 minutes not 10. It was a fluke if you go back and watch the rematch in the ACC championship game when they exposed him. It reminds of last year when we beat Green Bay in the regular season when they actually played better and then proved that it was a fluke in the playoffs.

#11 vel

vel

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,361 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

I believe arm strength is one of the most overrated aspects of quarterback evaluations, but a prospect still must be able to make all the necessary throws. In Luck's case, this is one of his weaker areas.

The ball does not explode out of his hand and will flutter at times, and he does not put a lot of RPMs on the ball like Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford or Michael Vick, all of whom can really spin it.

Still, a lack of elite arm strength is not a glaring weakness for Luck. In fact, he grades out above average. He can make all the throws and puts good zip on intermediate throws. His timing also helps ease concerns in this area, because Luck gets the ball out in time to get it downfield on certain deep patterns.

Luck compares to Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan in this area. Manning is one of the all-time greats and Ryan one of the up-and-coming passers in the league, so I'm not worried. -- Todd McShay

The fact that Ryan ties or beats Luck in almost every category shows you how good we have it and that most of this fanbase is impatient and wants Aaron Rodgers or even Vick back because Ryan doesn't have a cannon strapped to his shoulder. Ask Ravens fans how much they enjoy bazooka Joe.

Edited by vel, 08 December 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#12 BankerBirdô

BankerBirdô

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,279 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostSimicager, on 08 December 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

Russell Wilson is 5'11 I doubt he gets drafted.
I might be mistaken, but I think that's the same height as Drew Brees. The Saints list him at 6'0", but he's not.

#13 Sun Tzu 7

Sun Tzu 7

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

View PostBankerBird™, on 08 December 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

I might be mistaken, but I think that's the same height as Drew Brees. The Saints list him at 6'0", but he's not.

And that's why Drew Brees wasn't drafted until the 2nd round... but I think most would say he's the exception and not the rule.

#14 Atl/0

Atl/0

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

View Postvel, on 08 December 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

The fact that Ryan ties or beats Luck in almost every category shows you how good we have it and that most of this fanbase is impatient and wants Aaron Rodgers or even Vick back because Ryan doesn't have a cannon strapped to his shoulder. Ask Ravens fans how much they enjoy bazooka Joe.

They thought that Blaine Gabbert was a better prospect than Cam last year. It's really not saying much

#15 vel

vel

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,361 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

View PostAtl/0, on 08 December 2011 - 03:05 PM, said:

They thought that Blaine Gabbert was a better prospect than Cam last year. It's really not saying much
Because they made up stuff about Cam. They even said Gabbert was more athletic. I mean come on that was a joke.

Luck is about as can't miss as they will come and the fact that Ryan is even in the same conversation as Elway and Manning is impressive. I know you don't really like Ryan but you can't deny he is a very good QB.

#16 Atl/0

Atl/0

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

View Postvel, on 08 December 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

Because they made up stuff about Cam. They even said Gabbert was more athletic. I mean come on that was a joke.

Luck is about as can't miss as they will come and the fact that Ryan is even in the same conversation as Elway and Manning is impressive. I know you don't really like Ryan but you can't deny he is a very good QB.

He's a good quarterback, very good would put him in the top 5 IMO and he's clearly not there yet.

That first sentence is exactly why you can't really put to much into what these guys say. They pick one player every year and ride them until they are proven once again they are not as smart as they seem. They did the same thing with Clausen as well.

Barkley is better though....

Edited by Atl/0, 08 December 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#17 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

Ryan was the last QB since Jimmy Clausen that was really pimped as "pro ready".  I do remember Ryan got a lot of that talk...that he would be ready to step in to a system and play sooner than most.

but as Clausen proved, these clowns are just guessing.

#18 BankerBirdô

BankerBirdô

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,279 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

View PostSun Tzu 7, on 08 December 2011 - 03:01 PM, said:

And that's why Drew Brees wasn't drafted until the 2nd round... but I think most would say he's the exception and not the rule.
Agreed. And that's as far as my comparison of Brees and Wilson will go - height - other than that, there is no comparison.

#19 vel

vel

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,361 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

View PostAtl/0, on 08 December 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

He's a good quarterback, very good would put him in the top 5 IMO and he's clearly not there yet.

That first sentence is exactly why you can't really put to much into what these guys say. They pick one player every year and ride them until they are proven once again they are not as smart as they seem. They did the same thing with Clausen as well.

Barkley is better though....
Elite would put him in Top 5, very good puts him in the Top 10-12. I don't put much stock into it. But his play speaks for itself. Gabbert couldn't say the same. Clausen couldn't say the same. Look at Dalton, I was appalled watching him in that Bowl game at how he wasn't a first round prospect. This season isn't surprising to me. That kid just had it.

#20 Atl/0

Atl/0

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

View PostBankerBird™, on 08 December 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

Agreed. And that's as far as my comparison of Bree's and Wilson will go - height - other than that, there is no comparison.

He very well could be as good as Brees one day we just don't know yet. The thing is these scouts really use your height against you. Just look at what happened to Tyrod last year. Dude didn't get drafted till later in the draft because of his size but the likes of Gabbert and some dude from North Dakota get the benefit of the doubt when he clearly has more talent than them.