Bcs National Championship Game...with 2 Teams Who Didn't Even Play For Their Conference Title

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Robb4242

Robb4242

Thomas Dimitroff's newest intern

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,516 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:25 AM

People are talking about having a single team in the BCS Championship game who didn't win their conference & are getting in an uproar.  Imagine how much outcry there would be if two teams who didn't even play for their conference championship, much less win their conference play for the title.  It could happen quite easily now.

If Alabama beats Auburn as expected, and if Arkansas upsets LSU in a close game this is possible. The rankings would most likely be 1. Alabama, 2. Arkansas, 3. LSU in the BCS poll. Given that scenario, Alabama goes to the SEC Championship game against Georgia because of the SEC tie breakers (top 2 in BCS standings, then head-to-head between those 2).

In the SEC Championship game Georgia beats Alabama (not far-fetched as UGA probably most favorably matches up with Alabama out of the 3 possible options). Alabama has 2 losses & is out of the BCS championship game. Both LSU & Arkansas move up 1 spot setting up a rematch between 2 teams who didn't even get the chance to play for their conference championship.

#2 Demetrius Dew

Demetrius Dew

I have reached Legendary Status

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,135 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

I have not problem with that the BCS only job is to put the 2 best teams in the country playing against each other.

#3 dhuckdawg20

dhuckdawg20

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

View PostDemetrius Dew, on 23 November 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

I have not problem with that the BCS only job is to put the 2 best teams in the country playing against each other.
Me neither, but no year should be treated differently. The two best teams in 2007 were UGA and USC, everyone knew it. ****, we couldn't even get matched up in the Rose Bowl together...

#4 Billy Ocean

Billy Ocean

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Bowl anyone?
Georgia (9-2, 7-1)

Likely Destination:  Cotton Bowl vs Big 12

Best Case:  With the SEC all but assured of two slots in the BCS Championship Game, the league could still land three teams in BCS bowls.  Let’s say Alabama and LSU both win on Saturday.  And then Georgia upsets LSU in the SEC Championship Game.  Alabama and LSU would still likely be paired in the BCS title game while Georgia would have assured itself of a spot in the Sugar Bowl.  Hey, it’s possible.

Posted Image

#5 dhuckdawg20

dhuckdawg20

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

View PostBilly Ocean, on 23 November 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

Posted Image
This has been a possibility, I'm pretty sure the computers love LSU... But I don't think the voters would put them in....JMHO.

#6 Billy Ocean

Billy Ocean

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

View Postdhuckdawg20, on 23 November 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

This has been a possibility, I'm pretty sure the computers love LSU... But I don't think the voters would put them in....JMHO.
yeah, the main problem I have with that scenario is that it reduces the SECCG to a glorified exhibition game

I seem to remember NEB losing a BIG12 CG and making it into the title game tho

Edited by Billy Ocean, 23 November 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#7 dhuckdawg20

dhuckdawg20

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

View PostBilly Ocean, on 23 November 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

yeah, the main problem I have with that scenario is that it reduces the SECCG to a glorified exhibition game

I seem to remember NEB losing a BIG12 CG and making it into the title game tho
Yes, it does. It HAS been the national championship for 5 years now and this game may mean squat.

#8 scottp12

scottp12

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

View Postdhuckdawg20, on 23 November 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

Yes, it does. It HAS been the national championship for 5 years now and this game may mean squat.

Who needs an SECC when you can get a NC? They should just cancel the SECCG this year since it is such a non issue. I hate CFB

#9 Robb4242

Robb4242

Thomas Dimitroff's newest intern

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,516 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

View PostBilly Ocean, on 23 November 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

Posted Image
One projection that I really like has UGA in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma.  JMO would love to see that game.

#10 Reeves

Reeves

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

View PostRobb4242, on 23 November 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

One projection that I really like has UGA in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma.  JMO would love to see that game.

they aren't the same team without Broyles but it'd be a good game nonetheless. I've seen a projection of us going to the Cotton and play Kansas St, which I think we would win handily because their running QB probably wouldn't have much success against us.

#11 Billy Ocean

Billy Ocean

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

this is the one year I wouldn't mind playing WISC, if we end up in Orlando/Tampa. I wouldn't want to play any other BIG10 teams tho. I'm skeptical about us ever getting selected to play in the Cotton

#12 SacFalcFan

SacFalcFan

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

same here.. i would love to go up against oklahoma.. would be a terrific game.

#13 Demetrius Dew

Demetrius Dew

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,135 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

View Postdhuckdawg20, on 23 November 2011 - 11:49 AM, said:

Me neither, but no year should be treated differently. The two best teams in 2007 were UGA and USC, everyone knew it. ****, we couldn't even get matched up in the Rose Bowl together...

When ESPN took over the BCS 2 years ago I believe they took that rule out that stated you have to win your conference to play for a National Title which prevented UGA from playing USC in 2007.  Marc Edwards discussed that on the BCS Countdown show the other day.

#14 SacFalcFan

SacFalcFan

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146,453 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

View PostDemetrius Dew, on 23 November 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

When ESPN took over the BCS 2 years ago I believe they took that rule out that stated you have to win your conference to play for a National Title which prevented UGA from playing USC in 2007.  Marc Edwards discussed that on the BCS Countdown show the other day.

that is incorrect Dew.  that was not a rule in 2007.  you have always been able to play in the bcs title game without winning your conference.

#15 Demetrius Dew

Demetrius Dew

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,135 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

View PostSacFalcFan, on 24 November 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

that is incorrect Dew.  that was not a rule in 2007.  you have always been able to play in the bcs title game without winning your conference.

That is what Marc Edwards the ESPN analyst said, he said computer ranking took points away from teams not winning there conference making it virtually impossible to play in the Title game.  So not a rule but a computer algorithm I guess.

#16 SacFalcFan

SacFalcFan

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146,453 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

View PostDemetrius Dew, on 24 November 2011 - 11:02 PM, said:

That is what Marc Edwards the ESPN analyst said, he said computer ranking took points away from teams not winning there conference making it virtually impossible to play in the Title game.  So not a rule but a computer algorithm I guess.

you didn't play the extra game that was how they didn't add the additional points so not winning your division would hurt you in some of the computer polls, but not all of them.  like when they would weight margin of victory it was some extra points, but it wouldn't be as big of a factor in the total number in the computer polls.  regarding 2007 the big issue was that herbie and his cronies made up a rule that didn't exist for the human voters which made up 2/3 of the rankings.  uga was the #4 team in the country and most believed one of the two best teams in the country and we were voted #4 with voters knowing we would not be playing in the title game.  however whenever uga was brought up it was "georgia didn't win their conference so their body of work shouldn't be considered at all".  right after cmr's interview they basically said you can throw uga out they didn't win their conference.  as i said in another thread a number of harris poll voters were interviewed after this and they commented that they thought this was a rule that they could not vote for uga to be in the top 2 since we didn't win our conference.  i forget this name, but someone who was part of the committee talked about the confusion that voters had thinking uga couldn't be pick because we didn't win our conference.

this goes exactly against what herbie and others said about michigan making it in over florida in 2006 because the quote "two best teams in the country should be in the title game whether they won their conference or not".  as we see with espn and their analysts their opinions change based on the teams involved.

#17 scottp12

scottp12

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

I've got a concern. Suppose Ark beats LSU (and they are looking good, it might happen).

Then we beat Ark in SECCG

The national championship will almost certianly be LSU vs. Bama, right?

I think it is already lame that they would play again for it all, but if 2 teams that DIDNT EVEN WIN THEIR OWN DIVISION OF THEIR OWN CONFERENCE play for the NC, then the system has failed horrendously, correct? I would honestly rather see Va tech vs. Stanford if they could manage to win their conference

#18 usmcdirtybird

usmcdirtybird

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

If UGA wins the SEC Championship and LSU and Alabama are in the NC.  It will be ugly for the BCS.

#19 Bulldog1950

Bulldog1950

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

If Georgia beats Tech and wins the sec championship, they would be the best team in college football, period and end of story.

#20 scottp12

scottp12

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

View PostBulldog1950, on 25 November 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

If Georgia beats Tech and wins the sec championship, they would be the best team in college football, period and end of story.

True because LSU is the far and away clear number 1. So if we did beat them, we'd be the best, correct??